Bit of a bummer ..but never mind !

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
On Monday afternoon ..I started feeling a little bit ropey and by Tuesday morning more than a bit ill..
On Wednesday it was suggested that I should book a Covid test at a drive through centre ..at 5.00am yesterday I got an email to say that the test had proven inconclusive and that I should re-book asap..which I duly did .
At 5.00am this morning I got another email confirming that my test result was positive..
A couple of things ..I must have a mild version as I don't feel too bad ..secondly I feel truly sorry that I've rubbished our Christmas Day celebrations for my partner & our son as we have had Christmas Dinner at her sisters for the last twenty years ..Im also sorry that they both seem to be getting symptoms.
So all of us in isolation for 10 days ..and the biggest pain is I can't try out any of my new mtb gear ..gotta laugh ain't ya ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sh1t ! Sorry dude. At least you can isolate with them and not stuck in some box for 10 days away from them (without your mtb gear...)

On Wednesday it was suggested that I should book a Covid test at a drive through centre
I can only envision that they offer you fries with that ?

Don't waste that time ... it's time to perfect the indoor track stand, oh and build stronger links with the family ! :)

Keep us upto date on how you feel. That's one really sh1tty xmas present to be fair. Stay strong dude !

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Any idea how you got infected? It’s not exactly crowded in the areas you ride. Maybe at work?
Bill..I work " a few" days a week as a courier delivering parcels ..could be that although I hadn't worked all week ?..We went food shopping at our nearest grocery superstore just prior to feeling unwell could also be from that trip ..
We always wear masks / sanitize / social distance ..but tbh its a bit of a mystery ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Work on manuals

and lots of whisky.
Does that help manuals ? I followed your cooking advice and used 500ml of whisky in my marinate. It's now possibly the worlds most expensive steak. I'm more concerned I'll die eating it though. But if I don't, it's good to know if I go for a ride in the morning I should suffer from 0% front tyre wear !

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Hey, so sorry to hear you got this disease. Don't take it lightly even if the symptoms are mild. We are seeing patients with mild Covid have extremely serious consequences down the road, all the way up to a major stroke even in younger patients. You just can't take any risks with this disease.
Best advice I can give you is what I've always told patients with any respiratory viral illness: fill a water bottle up with plain water and take a single sip every 5 minutes while awake every day until you are over this. This is the only thing besides extra rest that will enhance your immune system's ability to wipe it out quickly and completely without complications.
Of course at your age your doctor may prescribe medications as well but this basically is the first thing you start with. It's astounding how well it works. Plain water, not tea not vitamin C, not vitamin enhanced water, not Gary's favorite whiskey (Probably works fine for Gary but for who else???), just plain water. And best of luck to you.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
On Monday afternoon ..I started feeling a little bit ropey and by Tuesday morning more than a bit ill..
On Wednesday it was suggested that I should book a Covid test at a drive through centre ..at 5.00am yesterday I got an email to say that the test had proven inconclusive and that I should re-book asap..which I duly did .
At 5.00am this morning I got another email confirming that my test result was positive..
A couple of things ..I must have a mild version as I don't feel too bad ..secondly I feel truly sorry that I've rubbished our Christmas Day celebrations for my partner & our son as we have had Christmas Dinner at her sisters for the last twenty years ..Im also sorry that they both seem to be getting symptoms.
So all of us in isolation for 10 days ..and the biggest pain is I can't try out any of my new mtb gear ..gotta laugh ain't ya ?
I really don't see how you can be held to blame. Now, the exotic meat markets in China? Where it has happened before? And at this point will happen again? And all with the knowledge of hindsight and science - that seems blameworthy.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Rest up and get well.
I was floored for weeks with it.
Riding a bike at all was not even an option. Never mind mannys. And I'm already good at them.
Do not take it lightly and pay attention to your breathing. If worried get an oximeter and pay attention to your levels.
Get well soon.

I hate whisky Jeff. Tastes like bitter peat to me.. Which we all know is mud and sheep piss and shit mixed.
Coffee's horrible too.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Hey, so sorry to hear you got this disease. Don't take it lightly even if the symptoms are mild. We are seeing patients with mild Covid have extremely serious consequences down the road, all the way up to a major stroke even in younger patients. You just can't take any risks with this disease.
Best advice I can give you is what I've always told patients with any respiratory viral illness: fill a water bottle up with plain water and take a single sip every 5 minutes while awake every day until you are over this. This is the only thing besides extra rest that will enhance your immune system's ability to wipe it out quickly and completely without complications.
Of course at your age your doctor may prescribe medications as well but this basically is the first thing you start with. It's astounding how well it works. Plain water, not tea not vitamin C, not vitamin enhanced water, not Gary's favorite whiskey (Probably works fine for Gary but for who else???), just plain water. And best of luck to you.
Thanks for the advice ..we always buy in lots of bottled water ..but will up our intake now ..
Thanks also for your advice Gary .

Last edited:

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I had it early November. Not serious (no hospitals) - I just felt low for about a week. But the recovery is slow. Today, I managed a 3.5mile walk - not been on the bike since I got it. It's the lungs and getting oxygen to the muscles. Takes time.

So, be prepared for a slow phased return to your activities.

Alan

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Get well soon! At least it's winter. Masks cut down on the amount of virus you get exposed to but they don't eliminate exposure. We wear masks all the time in public too and so far so good. My wife is getting the vaccine on Monday so I am very happy about that. I will have to wait awhile. Very much looking forward to everyone getting vaccinated and getting past this pandemic!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Rest up and get well.
Riding a bike at all was not even an option. Never mind mannys. And I'm already good at them.
Do not take it lightly and pay attention to your breathing. If worried get an oximeter and pay attention to your levels.
Get well soon.

I hate whisky Jeff. Tastes like bitter peat to me.. Which we all know is mud and sheep piss and shit mixed.
Coffee's horrible too.

I need to send you a nice Kentucky bourbon then....

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Well..I don't know what I've got then ..other than the fact that my test result came back positive ..I neither feel low / run down or out of breath ..a little lightheaded with a few flushes..but otherwise OK.
Let's see how I feel at the end of my isolation period ..

Hi hodge, glad you aren’t too bad mate.

I had a positive test on Monday. Started feeling rough on the Saturday.

So far it’s been fever (hot and cold shivers), odd head ache and mild flu symptoms. Nothing too bad to be honest just got no energy!! Oh and a bad back, that’s the worst but seems to have improved.

I’m totally gutted tho, like you about timing. I’ve worked every day in central london since the outbreak and to catch it the day I finish up for work which for me is the only break I enjoy as my industry shuts down.... is nothing short of a kick in the nuts!!

thankfully my kids and Mrs don’t seem to be having any symptoms.

take care fella. Speedy recovery.

roll on 2021 cos 2020 can suck my balls!!

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
I had it in october mate, started off fine, managed to rip apart the garage and sort it all out properly, then 5ish days into it i lost my taste and smell and became knackered and ill all the time, took a while to feel normal again. Hopefully you get through it without any symptoms though.

look after yaself pal get well soon ?

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Rest up and get well.
Get well soon.

Coffee's horrible too.
Lol. Rumour has it a glass of red wine can work too. Just hope I don't have the need to test that theory.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
One other word of caution. Many bring on a relapse because they get too active to soon as soon as they start to see improvement. These are very strong bugs Covid and influenza. The strongest of them is the last to be killed off by your immune system which have the greatest ability to come back at you given a chance and with Covid the relapse can be so severe it kills you. I have always told influenza patients do not go back to exercising for a full week after you think it's gone. Keep pumping the fluids and getting extra rest instead and you will not relapse. How many patients I have read about who got readmitted to the hospital with a relapse of Covid and ultimately died. Relapses seem to be the nail in the coffin for this disease for a lot of people both young and old. Safety first. Got the rest of your life to get back to riding your bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles