Anyone fancy a bit of coaching?

Coaching? 26/10/18

• Yes, I want to be marginally less shit

• No, I'm fucking awesome, me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
Funnily enough I was thinking thinking along the same lines, my birthday is next week and people keep asking me what I want for my birthday.

I would be interested in having some training, which date were you thinking of?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I would be interested in that is that a friday?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes.

I'd have to use my last leave day of the year for it, so it's got to be a birthday pressie.

Robotaff

Apr 29, 2018
Newport
Just realised it is a weekday, used my last holidays on 16 days in Florida? so unfortunately not able to attend a weekday lesson.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unfortunately, they only offer weekdays.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That’s 3 of us then.

I’ve asked how many places there are, so don’t book right away, I might be able to swing a cheeky discount.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
The log drop is fine, the run in to the slab drop is pretty nasty, I've not done it yet

Mission MTB

Jul 17, 2018
East Yorkshire
Thanks @Eckythump :) - I do run coaching on weekends & weekdays, and do private lessons for up to 6 people. I do an airtime course for riders just wanting to get started with jumps and drops but it's at Dalby Forest. They don't have any big drop offs. The biggest drop is not even wheel size.

There is a new coaching facility at Home :: Yorkshire Cycle Hub - They told me I could use it, so that would be an option.

Dixon's at Dalby is pretty good for coaching small jumps, and I have an MTB Hopper which is an excellent tool for anyone wanting to get started with jumps (plus it's great fun): Airtime Mountain Bike Skills Course - Mission Mountain Biking

Let me know if I can help with anything.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Training won't really help you with a drop like that, it may help your confidence to get over it for the first time, but repeatable, confident drop taking won't come from a set of instructions. A coach will tell you exactly what you need to do, but then all you have is a bunch of words going around your head while you do a mini dance routine on the approach to the lip. The main thing you have to conquer when it comes to drops of any size, is to realize that despite the size of the drop, it's exactly the same as dropping off a kerb, and you don't need to think about that do you? As long as you have enough control to be able to choose which wheel you want to land on, off a even a kerb sized drop, you have the skills to do any drop. The biggest mistake i see people make by far is bottling it on the lip and grabbing some back brake, which will make you die. Stay loose, treat it just like a kerb and enjoy :)

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
How’s the Hopper? Keep eying them up but it is a bit expensive to do the whole table setup.

Was a Dixon’s Hollow with my kids, they are clearing the first two table now and trying for the third.....

Still not made it to the cycle hub. Didn’t know they had a trail there.

Mission MTB

Jul 17, 2018
East Yorkshire
Training won't really help you with a drop like that, it may help your confidence to get over it for the first time, but repeatable, confident drop taking won't come from a set of instructions. A coach will tell you exactly what you need to do, but then all you have is a bunch of words going around your head while you do a mini dance routine on the approach to the lip. The main thing you have to conquer when it comes to drops of any size, is to realize that despite the size of the drop, it's exactly the same as dropping off a kerb, and you don't need to think about that do you? As long as you have enough control to be able to choose which wheel you want to land on, off a even a kerb sized drop, you have the skills to do any drop. The biggest mistake i see people make by far is bottling it on the lip and grabbing some back brake, which will make you die. Stay loose, treat it just like a kerb and enjoy :)

I'd agree with some of that.

My advice would be to try and be progressive in the size of drops you tackle. When you land both wheels together from a 2ft drop time after time, try 3ft. Don't go straight for 9ft! The technique is the same (like @DEADMEAT) says, but fear will cause you to tense up and mistime it.

I think the most common mistake is pushing out too early (usually caused by a bit of fear). By the time the front wheel reaches the lip, the rider is hanging off the back with nowhere to go. The rear shock gets compressed on the lip and fires back causing the rear end to buck upwards and the front to dive.

A compression/pump (like with a jump) can really help as it unweights both wheels. It helps to keep the front wheel up and prevents the rear wheel getting hooked up on the lip.

Coaching & Training will help you get the technique right in the first place. Especially with a bit of video analysis. It helps to actually see where you might be going wrong or could make adjustments or improvements.

Mission MTB

Jul 17, 2018
East Yorkshire
How’s the Hopper? Keep eying them up but it is a bit expensive to do the whole table setup.

Was a Dixon’s Hollow with my kids, they are clearing the first two table now and trying for the third.....

Still not made it to the cycle hub. Didn’t know they had a trail there.

The Hopper is brilliant. You can set it up on a grassy field and just session it. If you fancy a go, PM me.

Nice one with the kids. Wish I'd learned jumps as a kid (or remembered them).

The Cycle Hub have a wood behind them where they've built some trails and features. Only open to coaches with their own insurance though. I've yet to have a go, but it looks good.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I’m ok with jumps and drops generally. Would be more interested in improving ‘free’ speed with pumping features and line choices.
Having a go on the Hopper sounds good!

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I
I think the most common mistake is pushing out too early (usually caused by a bit of fear). By the time the front wheel reaches the lip, the rider is hanging off the back with nowhere to go. The rear shock gets compressed on the lip and fires back causing the rear end to buck upwards and the front to dive.

That sounds pretty familiar, I’m usually quite happy with drops (and have ridden some big ones), but every now and again I get it wrong and end up with a tyre hitting my ass!

Mission MTB

Jul 17, 2018
East Yorkshire
That sounds pretty familiar, I’m usually quite happy with drops (and have ridden some big ones), but every now and again I get it wrong and end up with a tyre hitting my ass!

Yeah I don't think it's the end of the world if you shove out mid air and your tyre hits your ass. The bike is unweighted so it doesn't hurt or anything. And usually from that point the bike comes down beneath you to catch you. I've done that quite a few times too.

Catching the tyre on your ass before taking off... Now that would have a not so pleasant outcome. :-D

MajorUpset

Jul 22, 2018
Solihull
Yes. I’m up for it.

I was gonna book on their Sept class, but the good lady wife has an operation that week, so end of Oct would be good for me.

Would you guys do it on ebikes or on non-ebike ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles