Bike Park Wales - Takes your breath away

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Hello all, i figured i would give this it's own thread as things didn't quite go as i had planned and there is a lot of fragmented content regarding this over the site.

Before this all happened i was going to be using an ebike pedal pass but one of the other four guys managed to fall off at greno woods and fractured his c1 vertibrae. So straight away we were down to 4 of us but all using the uplift service for the morning session.

The other 3 had made plans to travel down on the friday and go for a casual ride. I chose to repeat my first trip to wales and set off not too long after 05:00 when the sun was up and made my way down to meet them. Setting up seemed to take forever and sam managed to break a valve core whilst setting his tyres up, taking this moment i wandered off to sign in for the day and pick up a second go pro to hopefully capture some extra footage which could include the other people with me.

Normally i run around 22/24 psi in the tyres but was given advice (poor in hindsight) to run more pressure to avoid splitting a tyre on a rock.

Fairly uneventful start to the riding, chose to warm up on the blue trails. They are nice and flowy and fast but the extra pressure in the tyres really killed my usual feel for the bike and worse just meant i was getting a lot of extra vibration through my hands making the end of the run a lot more hard work than they should have been.

Then we had a look at the red trails. First time down we went down vicious valley and dropped into A470 to allow us to scope out the newly refurbished trail, this run i just went nice and slowly and either rolled over the jumps or made sure i landed flat on the top, nothing much to report here. Then it was AC/DC which once again showed up my lack of confidence on the bike for the day and had a few close calls which made me just revert to my usual tyre pressure setup.

If i had to pick one i would say i do prefer the more technical red trails to the jumps but it is great that bike park wales has just enough to cater for almost everyone.

So anyway, had a good blast going down a mix of the other red trails including some sketchy moments on ac/dc, next time up the others were asking if we should do dai hard which is a black graded trail, given that i wasn't really feeling all that confident i asked if we could skip it for the time being and they accepted this and decided to go down A470 again, this is where things took a turn for the worse.

Before anyone feels the need to critique my riding i am well aware of what skills i do/don't have and i do try and ride within my limits. On this occasion having rolled down the trail once before and seen multiple youtube videos i was aware of what i was getting myself in for in theory, but there aren't really any places near me where i can practice getting in the air on big jumps in the style of a470 so i had to just hit it and pray. First few weren't too bad and i stuck to what i knew in terms of just staying neutral on the bike on the transitions and trying to keep a consistent speed. I was a bit too fast for a few of the jumps and as such didn't shift my weight forward enough for a smooth landing, but there's time to improve on that. When i got down about two thirds of the way down the next jump i was faced with was just as the trail turns right slightly and i know i'm no good at anything but dead straight. I think i might have touched the brakes on the run up but regardless i realised i was going to come up a bit short on the landing so braced for the impact and well..... watch the video.

The good news was that I wasn't knocked unconscious, the borrowed gorpo flew off on impact and whilst i was in a fair bit of pain the adrenaline was stopping me from realising what had actually happened. As i was able to get up and walk about/crouch/lie down my friends just thought i was winded and after some confusion i managed to get them to call for help. A nice lady medic who works there turned up on a bike and tried to get some information out of me to not much avail and a vehicle was called to come and collect me.

Most of the next hour was me mostly just trying to breathe and keeping my eyes shut to concentrate, the dark humour in me still couldn't help but laugh when i heard the others struggling to lift my heavy ass bike into the rescue car and then my own car. Regardess, the pain was the most i've ever felt and somehow i managed to stagger into a&e at the local hospital. A CT scan, some various prodding and sticking tubes in my side and copious amounts of painkillers later i was told that i had managed to break ribs 4,5&6 and puncutred my right lung and that everything else seemed to be in tact.

Couple of days rest in hospital and i was sent home packing with a goody bag of drugs and a letter allowing me to stay home for at least 6 weeks. The staff were excellent and i'm sure my stubborness did them a favour as i didn't ask for much assistance whilst i was in, nobody is making me use a bed pan even if it means hauling a container and a seperate drip on wheels with me.

I know i got a mix of luck and unlucky, 9/10 times i would have just slid down the other side of the jump and got straight back up, but i could also have broken my spine if i had not worn the protection i had. I will go into the aftermath in terms of protective gear and what was damaged in another chapter.

Cheers to anyone that made it this far, the video is pretty much the tl:dr..

My wife doesn't seem to understand how i am able to make fun of it all but what's the point in worrying over what could have happened?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
looks like you nose cased the knuckle and stiffened up ensuing a buckeroo you had little control over. I honestly wouldn't try to over analyse it any more than...

Get well soon man

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
looks like you nose cased the knuckle and stiffened up ensuing a buckeroo you had little control over. I honestly wouldn't try to over analyse it any more than...

Get well soon man
Pretty much that, i tried not to overthink it but i just forsaw a legion of people with theories coming at me. It certainly won't stop me doing it again.

I didn't feel comfortable on the bike that day, i should have known better but i'd travelled too far to not try :)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Pretty much that, i tried not to overthink it but i just forsaw a legion of people with theories coming at me. It certainly won't stop me doing it again.

I didn't feel comfortable on the bike that day, i should have known better but i'd travelled too far to not try :)

it’s a tricky one as you were clearing the other tables so I can imagine the belief was there and had it not been a knuckle you’d probably have cleared it too!

Get well soon mate, I was going to pm you about catching up at Greno soon so I guess we can do that later ?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Great video, glad you weren't too badly injured.
l've been to Bike Park Wales but haven't done the black run, l think it's beyond my ability!

Last edited:

Ricky_1973

Mar 28, 2021
Netherlands
Awesome video tbh - I'm having sweaty palms just by looking at it - I have yet to visit a bike park like that, you we're flying awesome. With this as reference I know I'm going to take this much much easier as I was anticipating till now.
Get well soon and thanks a lot for giving me a view on what to expect, I've learned a lot from this.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Is the bike ok?
This is the important thing.

Honestly, it just looks to me like you came up short, nose cased & got bucked, maybe a bit of dead sailor in the mix. Just one of those things.

I broke my arm last year off a failed manual over a rut on a DH trail. Played it over & over in my mind a thousand times & in the end, it was just a bad day at the office - I was a bit slow out the traps, got it wrong & that's that. We all ride to gain experience & minimise the consequences of errors but sometimes it's just your turn to be fallible & fall in the grinder.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Fascinating vid. You were courageous going for it given what you said of your confidence levels on the day.

Don't have enough knowledge/experience to comment on the technical element of the crash, I wonder how much fatigue comes into play.
I had the impression you were struggling with the line further up the last trail, but maybe I was just looking it knowing what was to come.
5am start, manhandling the bike on the van trailer and the trails. Lot of riding already in the arms and legs already.

Living so close to the park I feel almost obliged to visit once or twice a year, but not certain how much I truly enjoy going there. I feel less confident than when riding my local local trails and a mild sense of anxiety throughout the day. At the end of the day's riding I have more a sense of relief at having survived than any great satisfaction.
That's largely coming from my lack of ability and fitness. I'm sure if I was a better rider I'd enjoy it more.
I love the blues, survive (hopefully) the technical reds and roll anything that looks like a jump. Blacks -I don't even know where they are.
Might take your video as a substitute for a visit this year.

On a practical point of view; how was it getting the 180 on and off the trailer? I've only ever used an acoustic bike at the Park and even that gets tiring. My mate goes there with his two teenage sons and will have loaded/unloaded 60 times by the end of the day!

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
those bounces off the top edge like that are terrifying, some you get away with some you don't. I would suggest don't over analyse it.

What I've learnt (via coaching) is if you want to improve your height / distance - you could work on pumping, and actually slowing down to clear jumps instead of just adding more and more speed.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
those bounces off the top edge like that are terrifying, some you get away with some you don't. I would suggest don't over analyse it.

What I've learnt (via coaching) is if you want to improve your height / distance - you could work on pumping, and actually slowing down to clear jumps instead of just adding more and more speed.

On a smaller jump i would actively try to 'jump' it but these i was told to just go over as they are sculpted to not really do much, in the video there's a jump almost identical to the crash one that i get over fine.

In terms of tiredness i was fine, the uplift gave recovery time after each run. The bike whilst heavy isn't actually that bad on/off the trailer once you get the knack of it. I've been manhandling the bike around a lot in the last 6 months or so lifting over walls/fences/into cars etc.

Bike damage - cracked purion screen (still works) and just the odd scuff and scrape, nothing to worry about. My helmet is a write off but everything else is ready to go again, i just won't be :)

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Good man, set up some different camera angles, maybe a have a drone ready. Put something strange in the landing zone for the next one - like a cup of tea - "Is that a cup of tea flying past you ?"
I was thinking of a stick following camera angle
1622800092048.png

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
I live very close to Bike Park Wales and a close friend of ours is a Nurse at PCH.
When working, her weekend at A&E basically consists of rugby players and what she describes as older men like myself who don't bounce back up anymore when they fall off their bikes.
She means that in a nice way though, as both myself and her husband played rugby together from school age and now ride bikes together in our 50s :D

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I think it is inherent in the celtic culture to rely on self depricating humour to get through all the bleak winters. :D One thing i don't miss down here are all the dark wet days of aberdeen.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I would blame it on the camera. Angels are just too shy and tend to leave us as soon as we enter gopro mode. When you said you took two… I could foresee disaster.
Get well soon!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I would blame it on the camera. Angels are just too shy and tend to leave us as soon as we enter gopro mode. When you said you took two… I could foresee disaster.
Get well soon!
Quite the opposite, the extra camera flying off mid accident makes for much better content. :D

The original idea was to have me at the front with one of the cameras facing backwards but that was for later in the day. I record all my rides so i have a record of what i got up to, i'm not trying to impress anyone, just gives me something to focus on after the ride is over and helps me learn how to badly edit videos for other stuff. :)

An added unforseen bonus is now i feel i can finally get that tattoo i've been longing after but was always worried about being able to sit through the pain, last weekend has truly recalibrated my 1-10 pain scale and i know what actual pain feels like. Silver clouds and all that... ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Rahr85 bet you miss late sunsets though
?
Above is 10pm.. (nowhere near as dark as the action cam shows it to be)

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham

@Rahr85 bet you miss late sunsets? . Above is 10pm.. (nowhere near as dark as the action cam shows it to be)
The late sunsets were nice, especially on a night out, those days are long gone :D

I get hassle from one guy at work about road biking being safer, but like with not having (being allowed) a motorbike it just takes 1 idiot in a car and you could be gone in an instant, i'd rather be the fool that caused my own accident. Fair play to all those that love it as it is a much more "pure" form of cycling and the speeds are crazy given the right location.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm the least likely to bite when confronted by a self emposed "safety advisor". I commute 20-40miles into and through rush hour city traffic 4 days a week every week and don't ever even wear a helmet. That descent above tops out around 50mph with a cattle grid a little further on that I hop at 42mph ish but on the entire ride (2hrs) I only saw about 6 cars.
Cam is an insta360 GO2... I got it specifically so I could do POV footage without a helmet (or chesty)... it's got a lot nicer softweare than GoPro's mess of an App too

I love roadbikes, BMX, DH, mtb and Emtb...

pick one and be a dick about it ;)

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I'd take most offence at the ginger :D the beard does tend to be but the rest isn't.

i'd happily take something along the lines of: barking mad / stick it to the man / Rock 'n roll

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles