Bike park wales ebike ride pass

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
Was thinking of booking bike park wales and the ebike pass was wondering how many runs Is possible I know alot depends on how quick you get back up was just thinking a average number thanks

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
on a 625wh battery (bosch) i managed 5 full top to bottom runs and three climbs from about half way down (end of sixtapod & melted welly). Threw battery on charge over lunch and got 31% back which got me another 2+1/2 and my body was dead before the battery was.

I was mostly using tour+ and had a mix of routes up. If you are going from the bottom then take the beast of a burden climb onto the fire road and as roots manouvres crosses the fire road take the next non signposted trail up through the trees and on the next bit of access road turn right and you'll cycle up past the road gap for 50 shades of black and have a much easier time for the battery getting to the top.

Full beast of a burden climb took me 18 mins, using the fire road took that closer to 12-13 mins.
The E-Bike Steep climb (next to ac/dc end) is a quick way up but will absolutely smash your battery
Going down from AC/DC and running the route the uplift goes just takes too long.

So take this as about 120% of a 625wh battery on a 25kg bike with ~85kg rider running fairly low tyre pressures (22/24) on assegai tyres on dry trails. I'm notoriously bad for still using some battery on the way down :D

1630749157041.png

Last edited:

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
on a 625wh battery (bosch) i managed 5 full top to bottom runs and three climbs from about half way down (end of sixtapod & melted welly). Threw battery on charge over lunch and got 31% back which got me another 2+1/2 and my body was dead before the battery was.

I was mostly using tour+ and had a mix of routes up. If you are going from the bottom then take the beast of a burden climb onto the fire road and as roots manouvres crosses the fire road take the next non signposted trail up through the trees and on the next bit of access road turn right and you'll cycle up past the road gap for 50 shades of black and have a much easier time for the battery getting to the top.

Full beast of a burden climb took me 18 mins, using the fire road took that closer to 12-13 mins.
The E-Bike Steep climb (next to ac/dc end) is a quick way up but will absolutely smash your battery
Going down from AC/DC and running the route the uplift goes just takes too long.

So take this as about 120% of a 625wh battery on a 25kg bike with ~85kg rider running fairly low tyre pressures (22/24) on assegai tyres on dry trails. I'm notoriously bad for still using some battery on the way down :D

View attachment 70675

View attachment 70675

View attachment 70675
Thanks for your reply mate was very helpful !

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
9 climbs is my record on the specialized 700w battery.... being super careful using dialled down eco mode or motor turned off whenever possible. That's a decent day at BPW.

On average though its around 7-8 climbs. I've never timed it but 18m sounds about right.

@Rahr85 - I'll have to try that shortcut climb after Roots Manouvres, sounds handy!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Every time we go we finish the day saying we’ll get uplift passes next time! We never do though.
we tend to get 5 full climbs but we don’t hang about on the climb, mostly using EMTB to save our energy for the downs.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Now then …

Been thinking about a South Wales mini tour next year, mainly for BPW

My question is though, is it really worth it ?

Hear me out …

There’s two of us, myself & my partner, and I pay for everything

Firstly, we’d go for the uplift, so that’s 2 x £40

I presume we also have to pay entrance fees, so that’s 2 x £19

It’s 260 miles (5 hours) from where I live, so a 520 mile trip at (I pay £0.16 per mile) £83 in fuel

We’d need a minimum of two nights accomodation, roughly £80-120 a night

So, just to go to BPW for us is going to cost a minimum of around £360-440

That’s a lot of cash just to ride some new trails, bearing in mind there’s plenty where I live, for free, or for just a parking fee

We’d probably stay for four nights and get some more riding in elsewhere, so costs are going to escalate to at least £600-700. Add food and all the other unexpected expenses and it’s more like a grand

So, back to my original question, is BPW worth it ?

Alternatively we can go to Scotland for a road trip and some new trails, fancy Comrie Croft, Dalbeattie, Adrenaline uplift etc, this would be half the cost, far less travelling and just as enjoyable. North Wales is also around the same distance as Scotland, Antur Stiniog, DYFI, CyB etc

We’re also not too keen on busy places. Obviously once you’re out on the trail it won’t feel busy but what’s it like mid week using the uplift and cafe ?

Just typing this post has probably made my mind up for me, just wondered if BPW is really the UK Mecca of MTB’ing it’s made out to be, or is it just far more accessible if you live down south ?

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Hi Mate, the uplift and entrance fee are all in one. If you are using your ebikes though you obvs don't need the uplift and can pedal up.

When you tot up your totals I'd say its a lot for biking anywhere for 2 days.... let alone BPW. I don't know about mecca, but it is a good day or two out. If you are going for 4 days and fancy some adventure you have Cwmcarn/Risca Bike Park 30mins to the East above Newport then loads of trails to the West - Afan, Afan Masts, Smilog etc. 4 days doing all those trails centers in some hopefully beautiful Welsh sunny weather would be an awesome trip.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
BPW is definitely worth a visit if riding park floats your boat.
If you are using your ebikes though you obvs don't need the uplift and can pedal up.
Fuck that shit! :ROFLMAO: I've ridden up every time I've been there and every time I say I'm getting the uplift next time, and that was with FFs! With the SL I'm definitely buying an uplift ticket if I ever get organised enough to book it.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi Mate, the uplift and entrance fee are all in one. If you are using your ebikes though you obvs don't need the uplift and can pedal up.

When you tot up your totals I'd say its a lot for biking anywhere for 2 days.... let alone BPW. I don't know about mecca, but it is a good day or two out. If you are going for 4 days and fancy some adventure you have Cwmcarn/Risca Bike Park 30mins to the East above Newport then loads of trails to the West - Afan, Afan Masts, Smilog etc. 4 days doing all those trails centers in some hopefully beautiful Welsh sunny weather would be an awesome trip.

Aah so the uplift price includes the entrance fee, that’s good to know thanks. Yes we’re on ebikes but we’d want to smash out as many descents as possible in a day, so rather than struggle our way back up we’d opt for the taxi service (plus we’re on lightweight emtb’s so the batteries don’t last as long)

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Also be prepared for the totally different grading to what you are used to. The blues are fantastic reds. The reds are more like blacks. We never got near the black runs as we are a bunch of pussies and it was our first visit and after two days we were all fubared.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Also be prepared for the totally different grading to what you are used to. The blues are fantastic reds. The reds are more like blacks. We never got near the black runs as we are a bunch of pussies and it was our first visit and after two days we were all fubared.

You’re not far from me Bones so you know the distance involved, motorways etc, compared to if going a nice scenic route to Scotland. Would you go back to BPW or would you rather go to Scotland / North Wales etc ?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
It's a good place to ride if you've never been but I wouldn't call it MTB Mecca - Think of it more as a trail centre with an uplift.
Good mix of trails, they run really fast and ride well in any weather. Uplift service has always been good when I've been, although they've sometimes finished by 15:30.
The prices seem to go up every year and it's got to the point where I'd just go on the FF Ebike in future, you don't get the same value for money these days (I do have two batteries so just shuttle up though).
There's usually a bit of a crowd waiting to go into trails at the top but once you're going you don't usually see many people

The drive is a total chew from our way tbh, it's a much nicer drive to Scotland.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Having been loads of times to Scotland then I definitely wanted to give Wales a try. We did coed e brenin on the way down as it was 15 years since I was there.
It is a long way and Merthyr is a shit hole but it's definitely worth a visit but ideally combine it with other areas.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It's a good place to ride if you've never been but I wouldn't call it MTB Mecca - Think of it more as a trail centre with an uplift.
Good mix of trails, they run really fast and ride well in any weather. Uplift service has always been good when I've been, although they've sometimes finished by 15:30.
The prices seem to go up every year and it's got to the point where I'd just go on the FF Ebike in future, you don't get the same value for money these days.
There's usually a bit of a crowd waiting to go into trails at the top but once you're going you don't usually see many people

The drive is a total chew from our way tbh, it's a much nicer drive to Scotland.

Yeah I’m leaning towards Scotland for another road trip next year. We’re off up there again in a couple of weeks time. Probably just Glentress again, last time we went she was on the hardtail so it’ll be a whole new experience for her riding there on the Rise

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
The ride up the beast of burden is brutal by the time you have done it 5 times. Get the uplift and don't go on a weekend.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
You can take your bike in the TravelLodge, no matter it's state - that should tell you about the place.

But yeah, do yourself a favour and get an uplift, the climb is awful

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Now then …

Been thinking about a South Wales mini tour next year, mainly for BPW

My question is though, is it really worth it ?

Hear me out …

There’s two of us, myself & my partner, and I pay for everything

Firstly, we’d go for the uplift, so that’s 2 x £40

I presume we also have to pay entrance fees, so that’s 2 x £19

It’s 260 miles (5 hours) from where I live, so a 520 mile trip at (I pay £0.16 per mile) £83 in fuel

We’d need a minimum of two nights accomodation, roughly £80-120 a night

So, just to go to BPW for us is going to cost a minimum of around £360-440

That’s a lot of cash just to ride some new trails, bearing in mind there’s plenty where I live, for free, or for just a parking fee

We’d probably stay for four nights and get some more riding in elsewhere, so costs are going to escalate to at least £600-700. Add food and all the other unexpected expenses and it’s more like a grand

So, back to my original question, is BPW worth it ?

Alternatively we can go to Scotland for a road trip and some new trails, fancy Comrie Croft, Dalbeattie, Adrenaline uplift etc, this would be half the cost, far less travelling and just as enjoyable. North Wales is also around the same distance as Scotland, Antur Stiniog, DYFI, CyB etc

We’re also not too keen on busy places. Obviously once you’re out on the trail it won’t feel busy but what’s it like mid week using the uplift and cafe ?

Just typing this post has probably made my mind up for me, just wondered if BPW is really the UK Mecca of MTB’ing it’s made out to be, or is it just far more accessible if you live down south ?
I like BPW a lot and I only live down the road so I go as often as I can but if it was costing me that much, I would drive to the alps instead.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yeah I’m leaning towards Scotland for another road trip next year. We’re off up there again in a couple of weeks time. Probably just Glentress again, last time we went she was on the hardtail so it’ll be a whole new experience for her riding there on the Rise

It'll definately feel a bit more comfortable on the rise for her :cool:
If you wanted to try any off piste Ho Chi Min is a good starter, quite rooty but flows well and isn't as steep as the others, Mast of Zorro is another good one.
Gypsy glen on the opposite side of the valley has a nice natural descent into Peebles and definately worth a trip up for the views. Enjoy!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It'll definately feel a bit more comfortable on the rise for her :cool:
If you wanted to try any off piste Ho Chi Min is a good starter, quite rooty but flows well and isn't as steep as the others, Mast of Zorro is another good one.
Gypsy glen on the opposite side of the valley has a nice natural descent into Peebles and definately worth a trip up for the views. Enjoy!

Cheers, I’ll find them on the old Strava segment maps. Yes we want to do that XC ride across the valley too. Tempted to try Flat White at Inners but don’t know if the climb will drain the battery after a few runs?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles