Bike park Wales question.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn’t find the relevant thread.
We’re thinking of going to BPW, but just read on their website that full face helmet & full body armour is a must. Is this the case for all the runs?
I know it’s the sensible option, so don’t need anybody extolling the dangers of
e-mtb ing.
If it’s the case that’s it’s advisable, due to surfaces etc, I’m quite willing to fork out for the kit ( for both of us), as we’ve only got the basic kit that is helmet, gloves etc etc.

Lastly, given it’s 2 kits we need, would I be better off avoiding the “captive audience “ prices? Or is the on site shop near enough.
I don’t mind paying a little extra, but if it’s anything like motorbike event and track prices i.e 40-100%, I’m out.

Cheers,
Andy.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn’t find the relevant thread.
We’re thinking of going to BPW, but just read on their website that full face helmet & full body armour is a must. Is this the case for all the runs?
I know it’s the sensible option, so don’t need anybody extolling the dangers of
e-mtb ing.
If it’s the case that’s it’s advisable, due to surfaces etc, I’m quite willing to fork out for the kit ( for both of us), as we’ve only got the basic kit that is helmet, gloves etc etc.

Lastly, given it’s 2 kits we need, would I be better off avoiding the “captive audience “ prices? Or is the on site shop near enough.
I don’t mind paying a little extra, but if it’s anything like motorbike event and track prices i.e 40-100%, I’m out.

Cheers,
Andy.

I've not been, but the website says you can hire protective gear.

That's what I would do if I wasn't needing it on a regular basis.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
You don’t have to wear full face or body armour, however, I was glad of it today in the wet!

You can also rent gear there.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
We’re thinking of going to BPW, but just read on their website that full face helmet & full body armour is a must.

I was very surprised by this, so just scanned BPW's Ts&Cs. I can see that full-face helmets & armour are "highly recommended" and "strongly advised", but I can only see a helmet (type not specified) being cited as mandatory.

From what I recall, most people wore full-face helmets, with knee and elbow pads. I only noticed a minority wearing body armour. And then there was the student I chatting to
o - wearing a cheapo Bell helmet, a t-shirt and board shorts - who was hitting the black runs. Fair play to him, though fear of his own mortality will get him soon enough ...

Last edited:

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Thanks guys, although we’re only blue routers, we didn’t want to look like a catalogue advert lol, but well aware that any prang can end badly. We’re going to head over today. Rude not to, as the campsite we’re in is only 1/2 an hour away.
I was very surprised by this, so just scanned BPW's Ts&Cs.
Sorry kafkastan, my terminology probably not the best ?.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I only rode with a full face for 7 minutes in my life. It was my first run of the day on the longest blue at BPW. I took a big slammer onto the rock paved surface and I think it saved me from a pretty nasty injury. (Nasty gash in my leg too as it connected with brake lever mid-flight, that was the end of my weekend's riding).

BPW trails can be tricksy, take it easy, don't get carried away. Some of the blues are very fast, which means if you mess up you're going down hard. A&E in Merthyr is used to seeing a few riders every day.

ps have a great day! ;-)

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Now you don't have to, but go ahead and armour up to the max if you that's what you want to do.
Thanks guys, although we’re only blue routers, we didn’t want to look like a catalogue advert lol

I thought the same before I went and I can assure you - nobody will care. If anything, if people do notice your shiny new gear they'll be encouraging. That was my experience. I'd always cycled mainly XC, but bought a Bossnut - a fairly cheap but well-regarded full-sus - last year. Not long after, I turned up at BPW. Between my gleaming new full-face helmet, the Bossnut (which some knew is often a noob's bike), and my slight air of terror, a few people started chatting to me and were all v positive about people getting into bike-park riding.

I had bought armoured shorts because I was still recovering from a hip injury. I left them at home the first day - partly as I didn't want to look like a catalogue advert(!) - but soon realised no-one would be judging me and wore them after that.

Anyhows, I had a blast. Three amazing days. If you have a fraction as much fun as I had, you'll be a happy soul.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
When I went to BPW I felt a little under dressed with just a cheap open helmet and knee pads but, like you, didn't want to look like "all the gear and no idea". There were plenty dressed like me but I am now a convert to wearing more protection. If I fall on a blue trail it will be due to my incompetence and perhaps a degree of overconfidence tempting me into going fast. If I fall on a red trail it will have nothing to do with speed but more likely the gnarly nature of the trail. Either could result in a hard knock. What has surprised me is that the 3 falls I have taken to date (I've only been doing this for about 5 months) have all been on what I can only describe as benign bits of track. Each fall has however encouraged me to buy an additional or alternative piece of protection. Currently I ride with a full face helmet, protective undershorts, knee/shin guards and elbow guards. I also wear ankle protection but that's because I broke my ankle very seriously last Easter on a climbing trip and it this could be partly just psychological. I would say that if you are riding with a reasonable amount of speed or even slowly on gnarly trails as much protection as possible is in order and indeed advisable. A fall is a fall whether it's due to high speed or lack of skill.

Have a good time. Do "Terry's Belly" it's supposed to be the longest downhill in the UK. It's superb. I didn't time it but I think it took me about 20 minutes to get down.

Al

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Have a good time. Do "Terry's Belly" it's supposed to be the longest downhill in the UK. It's superb. I didn't time it but I think it took me about 20 minutes to get down.

Al
Hi Al,
Bugger, I’ve only just seen this. Had an absolute blast, even if we did only manage 2 runs. Both of us carrying unrelated back injuries ?. Confidence needs work, but I didn’t bin it hahaha. We did melted welly, blue belle & bushwhacker first run. 2nd run was Sixtapod & willy waver.

Didn’t bother with uplift, did beast of burden up to 2nd run. Jeeeez, gnarly in places, but certainly helped my line choices ?.

Ended up buying knee pads for both of us. The rest will follow I’m sure ?.

Off to Afan bike park on Wednesday ?.

Cheers.

Ducatijones

Jan 29, 2019
South Wales
Hi Al,
Bugger, I’ve only just seen this. Had an absolute blast, even if we did only manage 2 runs. Both of us carrying unrelated back injuries ?. Confidence needs work, but I didn’t bin it hahaha. We did melted welly, blue belle & bushwhacker first run. 2nd run was Sixtapod & willy waver.

Didn’t bother with uplift, did beast of burden up to 2nd run. Jeeeez, gnarly in places, but certainly helped my line choices ?.

Ended up buying knee pads for both of us. The rest will follow I’m sure ?.

Off to Afan bike park on Wednesday ?.

Cheers.

Climbed the Wall last night, it's always good fun, and it's got the bike park before you descend down Zig Zags. Blue Scar is closed for maintenance though. If you got time go for Whites Level up in Glyncorrwg.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
If you got time go for Whites Level up in Glyncorrwg.
Are you trying to kill me? hahahaha. Having only ever done 3 runs, reds remain a pipe dream ?. We’ll definitely be doing more dh in future, given QECP is on our doorstep. Not quite the same level as BPW, but that’s life ?.

Ducatijones

Jan 29, 2019
South Wales
Are you trying to kill me? hahahaha. Having only ever done 3 runs, reds remain a pipe dream ?. We’ll definitely be doing more dh in future, given QECP is on our doorstep. Not quite the same level as BPW, but that’s life ?.

Ha ha ha oops pace yourself. I havent been to BPW yet, I havent worked out how to transport my bike up there.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Ha ha ha oops pace yourself. I havent been to BPW yet, I havent worked out how to transport my bike up there.
Not the easiest place to get to without transport I guess ?. You could always put a trailer on the duke hahaha. We went down the blue scar/widow maker run from the visitor centre side of the Afan forest. Seriously tight turns & very loose gravel, but good fun all the same. A hell of a bloody climb on our e bikes, never mind a mandraulic one ??. Have to admit, BPW would be my first choice, when we come again.
Where are you situated?

Ducatijones

Jan 29, 2019
South Wales
Not the easiest place to get to without transport I guess ?. You could always put a trailer on the duke hahaha. We went down the blue scar/widow maker run from the visitor centre side of the Afan forest. Seriously tight turns & very loose gravel, but good fun all the same. A hell of a bloody climb on our e bikes, never mind a mandraulic one ??. Have to admit, BPW would be my first choice, when we come again.
Where are you situated?

Yes it's a good climb to The Top, that's my route home and over the mountain. I live about 10 mins from the start of a trail called Sidewinder part of Penhydd trail. If you see a bike trailer to fit my 748 let me know ?. Did you go up the wall ?

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Did you go up the wall ?
I’ll keep an eye out ?. Didn’t do the wall. We didn’t really know where we were going, so we drove to the Bryn Bettws lodge side at first, but moved to visitors centre side of the mountain, to do the blue trail. We’ll be back sometime to do the rest ?.

Ducatijones

Jan 29, 2019
South Wales
I’ll keep an eye out ?. Didn’t do the wall. We didn’t really know where we were going, so we drove to the Bryn Bettws lodge side at first, but moved to visitors centre side of the mountain, to do the blue trail. We’ll be back sometime to do the rest ?.

Let me know if you are about next time and I ll come for a spin around Afan with you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles