Best emtb on a budget?

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
If it’s 27.5 version it’s a good bike! I wouldn’t buy the 29 er as the chain stays are to long. I have the 2019 version with an E8000 motor with the new firmware and it’s pretty powerful.
Yeah that’s the one!! It’s the 2021 still got the e8000 motor, when you say firmware to you mean e-tube, or Eplus the one that unlocks the speed limiter?

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Still no photos...
Yeah, I posted pic’s the day I done the deal !!
I’ll put some new ones up when I’m out on the trails this weekend

1E2CAF51-FE8C-4736-8DC0-3CE03E7E5F15.jpeg

C889C697-269E-40CB-BC5D-83092DDF5949.jpeg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Looks a great bike, l am also in the UK
l am 58 and just got my first ebike, a 2020 Kona with the E8000 motor.

The bike is great, it's a similar spec to yours, l've already done 350 miles on it and absolutely loving it.

The motor performance is fine, it doesn't need any more power, l've got the 504Wh battery and can get three rides on one charge.

l ride mostly on "eco" set to high in the Shimano app.

l've got "trail" set to medium and use that if l need a boost or want to go faster.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Looks a great bike, l am also in the UK
l am 58 and just got my first ebike, a 2020 Kona with the E8000 motor.

The bike is great, it's a similar spec to yours, l've already done 350 miles on it and absolutely loving it.

The motor performance is fine, it doesn't need any more power, l've got the 504Wh battery and can get three rides on one charge.

l ride mostly on "eco" set to high in the Shimano app.

l've got "trail" set to medium and use that if l need a boost or want to go faster.
Where do you mainly ride Lightning, anywhere near Marple Bridge, New Mills or Hayfield??

Ché

May 7, 2021
Hull
Hey all, I’m on the hunt for a new emtb.
I’ve already been to several shops and ridden a few around the block and have also had the luxury of my Brother upgrading and keeping his old Bike as a loaner (2019 Merida e160 700) which I’ve had fun on.
But now I’m at the pointy end of my decision and I’ve nailed it (I think) down to a few that are available here in Australia. Be interested to hear everyone’s opinions on the bikes I’m looking at any pros and cons. Or maybe throw a spanned in the works and tell me I’m totally going in the wrong direction.
Little bit about me so you can gather my ability and type of riding I’ll be doing.
I’m 50 years young!!
And have ridden Dirtbikes most of my life, plenty of enduro and single trail stuff. Loved it lived for it!
Have always had a bike in the shed.
Have also had and still do have a old mountain bike in the shed.
The bikes I’ve narrowed it down to within my budget are;
2021 Focus Jam2 6.7 ($6500)
2021 Norco sight vlt A1 29 ($6500)
2020 Cannondale moterra neo 3 ($6500)
Then out of my budget but should I blow my budget slightly and do it.
2021 Scott Genius eRide 930 ($8000)
2021 mondrake Dusk R ($7900)
2021 Orbea wild fs h25 ($8200)
Everything is in Australian dollar.
thanks for your reply’s in advance.
Have you looked at a specialized kenevo expert £7400 or the kenevo comp £5800...I've got the old kenevo comp and I totally love it, also 50yrs young and definitely need my ebike lol ?

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Have you looked at a specialized kenevo expert £7400 or the kenevo comp £5800...I've got the old kenevo comp and I totally love it, also 50yrs young and definitely need my ebike lol ?
I did, but over here in Australia they start at $9000. I ended up with a Norco Sight vlt C2 27.5 2021 model (has the upgraded spec with lyric over yari fork and the sram guide Re over the e brake) super happy with it. Like it more than the 29er Norco bought out ( test rode back to back)

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
It’s official, I’m an IDIOT!!
I’m so indecisive and read into everything way to much.
As you are all aware I put the deposit down on the Trance X pro2 ($200) and was picking it up yesterday. Well, I kind of didn’t get it, I went in today sat on it rode it around the street for a bit, it just felt really really big more like a street cruiser to me, sorry if I offend any trance owners, I’m going to just point out remember I’m a 50yr old newbie.
But it just had that feeling that I wasn’t going to be able to get it to loose in the tight stuff, also remember I come from decades of riding enduro and mx’ers . So getting loose through the trails is something I’ve always loved.
So sadly I returned to the shop expressed my feeling and to the guys credit, he understood and gave me a refund, it’s not like it won’t sell, people are screaming for bikes at the moment here in Oz.
I’m now rethinking my entire e-mtb check list
1. My budget is going to have to increase
2. Battery is going to have to be 630+Wh
3. Best one for pulling my 96kg backside up some steep snotty stuff. (Down hill in fine with all me)
4.reliability, I don’t want something that is an absolute weapon but glitches every other ride.
One now very confused newbie that has done way to much research on something he knows absolutely nothing about.
Thanks in advance for your replies
?. Decisions Decisions. I’m in my 50’s & don’t go throwing my bike at stuff I can’t manage, but do enjoy pushing myself. I bought a 2020 Jam2 6.8 nine last year with the Bosch gen 4 motor. It’s a great allrounder. The new Sam2 is on another level. Bite the bullet & get one of those if you can

3B0A3F4D-B822-434A-97D3-BC6D01D3D057.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles