Best EMTB Gear?

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
Alright, us newbs to the sport will need to purchase a bunch of gear. Would love to hear some recommendations on helmets, shorts, shoes, protective gear. etc. TIA!

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
So the replies are coming in thick and fast then!!
Hope you’ve got some stuff and not still waiting for recommendations!?
I re watched @Rob Rides EMTB video on YouTube about best protective clothing for riding earlier, if you’ve not already seen it I’d recommend it. ?

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
number 1: five tens
lightweight full face helmet (eg Bell Super 3R)
always wear eye protection
knee /elbow protection optional
full body armour if you fall off a lot
Interesting, I know a lot of people who wear pads and some body armour but no one who wears a full face helmet or even glasses!
I also won’t ride without gloves, they’re my extra recommendation.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Interesting, I know a lot of people who wear pads and some body armour but no one who wears a full face helmet or even glasses!
I also won’t ride without gloves, they’re my extra recommendation.
I suppose it is interesting when you think about it yeah.
I like the full face because i've ended up face first into a tree of a the ground a few times and it's saved me getting a scratched or swollen face. I've also had to go to A&E 3 times in 3 years to get something taken out of my eye (tree branch, leaves, grit ?‍♂️ ) or a scratch looked at and it is not pleasant. last visit was a good few years back I've defo learned my lesson?

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Yeah I should invest in glasses, nearly got a stick in my face on Sunday, could have easily been my eye!
I’ve never had any bad knee or elbow bike related injuries but reading another thread on here was a good reminder how easily it can happen and how long lasting the effects can be. ??

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Armour / body protection should reflect your riding style and terrain.
Basic tools / maintenance supplies, lube, grease etc

I found the most essential item is a flexible CFO.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
number 1: five tens
lightweight full face helmet (eg Bell Super 3R)
always wear eye protection
knee /elbow protection optional
full body armour if you fall off a lot
Great start. I don't like 510's the grip is too good and I can't shuffle my foot into place if I get it right first time. Shimano is my choice.
I agree with the Bell Super, but I wear it without the chin bar. I have a proper FF for when its required.
I always wear eye protection, Oakley Straightjackets (prescription) are my choice.
100% agree with knee&shin and elbow guards. I wish I'd started using them sooner!
I no longer ride where full body armour is advisable, but I still have a 661 shirt and shorts. They make me sweat like a pig!
Gloves, I have loads of gloves, still looking for the perfect pair so that I don't have to take two types with me (one on, one in the pack).
Sealskinz socks, mid length, mid weight. I always wear these when riding and the shoes I buy are bigger to suit. Sealskinz are only essential in the wet season, but how can you get them on unless you have an extra pair of shoes that are bigger, just for the winter?

I would add clothing. Next to your skin it has to be wicking. If it doesn't actually say "wicking" then it isn't. NEVER wear cotton. Don't let your first jacket be a waterproof, go for a windproof instead with a DWR (durable water repellent) coating. A windproof will keep out a lot of rain and is much more breathable than all but the most expensive waterproofs. When you buy a waterproof, never buy anything less than 20,000/20,000 on the respective waterproof/breathability scales. Higher is better. Go for layers, not thick stuff. Get a neck tube. Some call them a snood or a buff. Basically it's a wide tube of thin material that goes over your head and settles around your neck in multiple folds (I roll mine up). This keeps out cold wind and rain, it also soaks up sweat. If you unfold it over your head it can be a skull cap to stop brain freeze from those icy winds funnelled through the helmet vents. In winter, frequently I also pull it up over my nose and mouth to stop my face from freezing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yeah I should invest in glasses, nearly got a stick in my face on Sunday, could have easily been my eye!
I’ve never had any bad knee or elbow bike related injuries but reading another thread on here was a good reminder how easily it can happen and how long lasting the effects can be. ??
That is the exact same reason why I bought my first pair of protective eyewear, except my stick was on the bony orbit!
I was descending as fast as I knew how when a big pebble was ripped out of the ground by my front tyre. The tyre then rolled on it. I went down hard onto my left knee and chipped a piece of bone from my kneecap. That hurt! Worse, that loose bit eventually healed up to the knee cap, but just a little bit out of place, so now I can't kneel on a hard surface because it pushes my kneecap upwards. It's a most disconcerting feeling. I already had elbow guards, so I bought some matching knee guards.

Why didn't I already have some knee guards? The reason is a stupid one and points to my character failings. I stupidly thought that wearing guards was like a badge, like I was declaring "hey look, how good I am, I'm so good I need knee guards!" I didn't want to be seen as "all the gear and no idea!" Yes, like I said stupid. The time to wear guards is when you need them most, like when you are learning. In my case that is all the time, so I wear knee&shin and elbow guards (and a helmet , and gloves, and protective specs......) all the time when riding.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
That is the exact same reason why I bought my first pair of protective eyewear, except my stick was on the bony orbit!
I was descending as fast as I knew how when a big pebble was ripped out of the ground by my front tyre. The tyre then rolled on it. I went down hard onto my left knee and chipped a piece of bone from my kneecap. That hurt! Worse, that loose bit eventually healed up to the knee cap, but just a little bit out of place, so now I can't kneel on a hard surface because it pushes my kneecap upwards. It's a most disconcerting feeling. I already had elbow guards, so I bought some matching knee guards.

Why didn't I already have some knee guards? The reason is a stupid one and points to my character failings. I stupidly thought that wearing guards was like a badge, like I was declaring "hey look, how good I am, I'm so good I need knee guards!" I didn't want to be seen as "all the gear and no idea!" Yes, like I said stupid. The time to wear guards is when you need them most, like when you are learning. In my case that is all the time, so I wear knee&shin and elbow guards (and a helmet , and gloves, and protective specs......) all the time when riding.
I’m going to hold my hands up and say this is the same for me! I didn’t actually think I was that bothered what people think of me but it turns out I am, the cost puts me off a bit but apart from that I would happily wear full body armour and a lightweight full face helmet, I need to have a word with myself...
I’ve still not even ordered the knee pads I said I would a few days ago! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles