Best emtb on a budget?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
How tall are you? Was the bike too big, or just didn't feel correct? If you've been riding an e160 and that feels good, maybe 29 just doesn't suit? Personally I've been to 29 and back again on the levo, I'll be sticking with 27.5. FWIW, my stepdad has just bought an e160 500 in NSW for $6500, so they are out there but you might have to travel a bit.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
How tall are you? Was the bike too big, or just didn't feel correct? If you've been riding an e160 and that feels good, maybe 29 just doesn't suit? Personally I've been to 29 and back again on the levo, I'll be sticking with 27.5. FWIW, my stepdad has just bought an e160 500 in NSW for $6500, so they are out there but you might have to travel a bit.
I’m 6’1” (183cm)
And it just felt like a lot of bike, unlike the Merida & the Norco, they feel like a bike I could scull drag around anything

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ebike prices are soaring at the moment in Aus. I have an 2020 e160 ltd with the E8000 motor which has a few upgrades and I love it but, if I was buying now, my preference would to get something with the newer EP8 motor (less resistance) and with the bigger 600wh battery. The motor and battery are things you cant really upgrade whereas everything else you can. I also prefer cheap Shimano to cheap Sram.

So here's what I would do:
For the budget one I would choose the 2021 Merida e160 500. It has the newer motor and 600wh battery but upgrade tyres straight away and I hate the display unit that comes with it.
For out of budget I would go either the Marin Alpine Trail E2 from bicycles online for $8900. Great bang for buck. Or the 2021 Merida e160 700 or 8000 (just make sure its the 21 model with bigger battery and new motor). The Mondraker looks good though.

If smaller battery sizes doesn't worry you then there are a few 2020 Giants for pretty good spec and money.
I agree with this, because we're in Australia. Merida has to be one of the best value bikes here. I'd also suggest polygon @ around $8000 (not the cheaper one); it looks pretty good! Very short rear end. Smaller battery though (504w) which is stacks for me.

Incidentally; one of the things I love about merida is that they have 36 spoke rear wheels. I've seen a lot of other makes (clockwork) - especially those with 28 spokes - with broken spokes. Why do bike manufacturers do that for enduro bikes?

Last edited:

Acousticmood

Apr 1, 2021
So Cal
Don’t forget to add, ”ride it first” to your list.

I’ve been riding a trek fuel ex 8 for the last several years. I chose it after riding several different models from several different shops. The trek just fit me the best and was quick and lively. Fast forward, I recently bought a Scott genius e-ride, based only on the fact that it had all the specs I could live with, and it was available.

It rides like a boat, compared to what I am used to. I am getting used to it, but it is nothing like my analog Trek.

One thing I’ve noticed and I’m not sure what it means (a more aggressive geometry?), but on my Trek I could ride hands free sitting up only when going fairly fast, too squirrelly at lower speeds. The Scott is very easy to ride with no hands.

lnnaie

Feb 19, 2021
Utrecht, NL
I have the Cannondale motera neo, the build with zeb and magura. It’s 25kg but agile enough, all in one a solid bike, works nicely for me and the battery lasts forever.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
I agree with this, because we're in Australia. Merida has to be one of the best value bikes here. I'd also suggest polygon @ around $8000 (not the cheaper one); it looks pretty good! Very short rear end. Smaller battery though (504w) which is stacks for me.

Incidentally; one of the things I love about merida is that they have 36 spoke rear wheels. I've seen a lot of other makes (clockwork) - especially those with 28 spokes - with broken spokes. Why do bike manufacturers do that for enduro bikes?

Yeah l looked at the Mt Bromo, when I say looked, I checked them out online and YouTube.
But I now have a pretty decent network of shops knowing I’m in the hunt, so getting constant updates on Stock.
I’m actually hoping to hear back tomorrow from a couple.
2021 Norco sight VLT C2 27.5 (e8000)
2021 Merida e140 700 & 8000 (ep8)
Rocky Mountain Instinct 70 BC Edition (Dyname)
And then a used one with 200km in it
2020 Merida e160 9000. (E8000)
I don’t really know to much about engine differences in these bikes, they all seem very similar they just vary on how and when they assist haven’t had the luxury of stomping one up a hill.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Don’t forget to add, ”ride it first” to your list.

I’ve been riding a trek fuel ex 8 for the last several years. I chose it after riding several different models from several different shops. The trek just fit me the best and was quick and lively. Fast forward, I recently bought a Scott genius e-ride, based only on the fact that it had all the specs I could live with, and it was available.

It rides like a boat, compared to what I am used to. I am getting used to it, but it is nothing like my analog Trek.

One thing I’ve noticed and I’m not sure what it means (a more aggressive geometry?), but on my Trek I could ride hands free sitting up only when going fairly fast, too squirrelly at lower speeds. The Scott is very easy to ride with no hands.
I know what exactly what you mean I should of tried the trance before the deposit but it was still in the box and I didn’t want to run the risk of missing out on it, but yeas I test rode a Scott genius 920 and can understand what you’re saying .
As far as which one I’ve felt best on thus far.
Hands down it was the Norco Sight Vlt c2, it felt mint
As did the focus, but price & specs let it down compared to others
The Merida e160/140 both felt great, and with minor tweaks I could really feel at home on that bike. Are the motor really a massive factor in determining which to choose, or are they all much of a muchness?

Last edited:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Was it 29" wheels?

They feel big to me, too big in fact as l am 5ft6in
l don't like the 29" "wagon wheel" bikes but l am fine with 27 1/2 they fit me no problem

Acousticmood

Apr 1, 2021
So Cal
I know what exactly what you mean I should of tried the trance before the deposit but it was still in the box and I didn’t want to run the risk of missing out on it, but yeas I test rode a Scott genius 920 and can understand what you’re saying .
As far as which one I’ve felt best on thus far.
Hands down it was the Norco Sight Vlt c2, it felt mint
As did the focus, but price & specs let it down compared to others
The Merida e160/140 both felt great, and with minor tweaks I could really feel at home on that bike. Are the motor really a massive factor in determining which to choose, or are they all much of a muchness?
Both my trek analogue and Scott ebike are 29rs - thinking of going to a mullet to see how that affects the ride

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
If I upgraded my levo these would be my options because the equivalent of what I have now because of coronavirus and because it's generation 3 the prices are through the roof!! photo number three might be a bit out of my price range though.

View attachment 60304

View attachment 60305

View attachment 60306
Just a tad out price range ??
Yes I’ve checked both the throne 6.7 and the Merida 500
The specs on that throne for what you can get other bikes for is quite base budget as to is the Merida.
The sad thing about the Merida, the series before wasn’t to poorly spec’d for its price point, hell it’s what got my brother into this crazy world of e-mtb’s and he has almost been like the pied piper wIt’s it dragging us innocents into its lure.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Size Large, Yeah been all over that page. Just got back from 3 shops today and confused myself even more, as one had a Norco Sight VLT A1 with nice bike but has the older Shimano 8000 motor in it, is there really that much of a difference? But the offer was $5500 and I could have it, that’s $1100 cheaper than anything else at this point, should I do it, or will I wish I’d spent the extra money a few months down the track?
Most important thing is fit to rider. If the geometry is right on the Focus buy it. My 8000 motor on my 2020 merida has been reliable with over 2500km of trail miles.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Ok so this just happened!!
Be kind fellas
Couldn’t help myself!!
Kept going back to the Norco as it always felt the best fit. And they threw in a heap of goodies.
5B671C5E-7BD6-4CA3-8A2D-8CC4E5B74A57.jpeg

4B59E7C4-EAAA-464A-AA5A-640751C31422.jpeg

6913CCE5-D817-4862-9E91-DAAF05772CBC.jpeg

38A86CC4-2678-4B32-BF0E-B4026BE08349.jpeg

A1CD4FC2-63A7-42D4-8D0F-98BEA0AC4DC4.jpeg

7C774920-B97C-4CD6-83E9-55533C1E153C.jpeg

8C14C874-B386-40D0-8228-75B9B024B8C7.jpeg

841757E8-0452-4818-8F02-E4EF96E14341.jpeg

Last edited:

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It looks great. I looked up the geo on it, that looks great too. I think that "cover" on your chain ring could be a bash guard; don't be in a hurry to remove it.

What are the pedals? If they're plastic you might want to replace them asap - before they get wet :rolleyes:. Many pedal recommendations here but dmr v12 should put you in the ballpark and they have an awesome red that should go nicely with your bike :LOL:

Last edited:

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Public holidays? What public holiday are you getting? Nice looking bike except can you remove the cover on the front chainring?
What goodies did they throw in?
May Day public holiday.
Yes don’t worry, the cover is more a guard I think if it serves a purpose I’ll leave it for the moment . Then when it comes time to replace sprockets , I’ll do something then.
The Goodies = Fox speed frame lid, 100% cognito gloves, 100% teratek knee & elbow guards & a set of jet black superlight flats pedals, no water bottle ? as I’ve always been used to a camelback (so I can throw tools, and munchie in there).
Hoping to go dial it in tomorrow

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
May Day public holiday.
Yes don’t worry, the cover is more a guard I think if it serves a purpose I’ll leave it for the moment . Then when it comes time to replace sprockets , I’ll do something then.
The Goodies = Fox speed frame lid, 100% cognito gloves, 100% teratek knee & elbow guards & a set of jet black superlight flats pedals, no water bottle ? as I’ve always been used to a camelback (so I can throw tools, and munchie in there).
Hoping to go dial it in tomorrow
gee, they looked after you! Pedals look great too.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Hey all, I’m on the hunt for a new emtb.
I’ve already been to several shops and ridden a few around the block and have also had the luxury of my Brother upgrading and keeping his old Bike as a loaner (2019 Merida e160 700) which I’ve had fun on.
But now I’m at the pointy end of my decision and I’ve nailed it (I think) down to a few that are available here in Australia. Be interested to hear everyone’s opinions on the bikes I’m looking at any pros and cons. Or maybe throw a spanned in the works and tell me I’m totally going in the wrong direction.
Little bit about me so you can gather my ability and type of riding I’ll be doing.
I’m 50 years young!!
And have ridden Dirtbikes most of my life, plenty of enduro and single trail stuff. Loved it lived for it!
Have always had a bike in the shed.
Have also had and still do have a old mountain bike in the shed.
The bikes I’ve narrowed it down to within my budget are;
2021 Focus Jam2 6.7 ($6500)
2021 Norco sight vlt A1 29 ($6500)
2020 Cannondale moterra neo 3 ($6500)
Then out of my budget but should I blow my budget slightly and do it.
2021 Scott Genius eRide 930 ($8000)
2021 mondrake Dusk R ($7900)
2021 Orbea wild fs h25 ($8200)
Everything is in Australian dollar.
thanks for your reply’s in advance.
vitus esommet vrx..no question

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
This has been one of the best threads I’ve read for a while! It’s probably because you’re in Australia that it made me think of a story line from An EMTB version of Neighbours! So many cliffhangers, and then I had to take my son to school!! Couldn’t wait to get back and keep on reading!! ? but it all ended well! ??
I was proper on the edge of my seat ?
Glad you got sorted with a bike, and that sounds like a lot of cool free stuff too!
After a lot of research I chose a Cube Stereo and I dare say there might be others out there more suited to me and my riding style (not that I’ve got much of that)! But the thing is I really enjoy riding it, EMTBs are amazing!!
Hope you enjoy yours too ??

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
This has been one of the best threads I’ve read for a while! It’s probably because you’re in Australia that it made me think of a story line from An EMTB version of Neighbours! So many cliffhangers, and then I had to take my son to school!! Couldn’t wait to get back and keep on reading!! ? but it all ended well! ??
I was proper on the edge of my seat ?
Glad you got sorted with a bike, and that sounds like a lot of cool free stuff too!
After a lot of research I chose a Cube Stereo and I dare say there might be others out there more suited to me and my riding style (not that I’ve got much of that)! But the thing is I really enjoy riding it, EMTBs are amazing!!
Hope you enjoy yours too ??

Oh , yes it was a roller coaster of e ride . I procrastinated, haggled, double guessed my decisions. Even continued after the purchase. I went through buyers remorse ? Knowing the spec’s where great, but did I go with the wrong motor? should I of got the 29ers?, almost took it back with the 7 day cooling off period option still in play.
But then I spent an afternoon on the trails and all my worries and concerns disappeared. It is more than capable bike. I reach my limits far before the bike does, for the moment anyway ? Stay tuned for some wacky adventures to come.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Oh , yes it was a roller coaster of e ride . I procrastinated, haggled, double guessed my decisions. Even continued after the purchase. I went through buyers remorse ? Knowing the spec’s where great, but did I go with the wrong motor? should I of got the 29ers?, almost took it back with the 7 day cooling off period option still in play.
But then I spent an afternoon on the trails and all my worries and concerns disappeared. It is more than capable bike. I reach my limits far before the bike does, for the moment anyway ? Stay tuned for some wacky adventures to come.
Lol, think I went through all the same thoughts/feelings as you and came to the same point in the end, it’s really good fun to ride and I love it!
I’ve got yo concede, my bike is better at getting anywhere, up or down, than I am!! ???

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
What part of Australia you in mini ?
Ahh, if only! I’m in the UK. nearly made it over about 20 years ago but didn’t quite have money for the flights so I got to stay at home while my best mate spent a few weeks touring round on his own, that’s about as close as I’ve ever been! Well, that and hours and hours watching Neighbours back when Mrs Mangle and Harold Bishop we’re around... ?

FrankBouwer

Apr 29, 2020
Queensland
Size Large, Yeah been all over that page. Just got back from 3 shops today and confused myself even more, as one had a Norco Sight VLT A1 with nice bike but has the older Shimano 8000 motor in it, is there really that much of a difference? But the offer was $5500 and I could have it, that’s $1100 cheaper than anything else at this point, should I do it, or will I wish I’d spent the extra money a few months down the track?

If it’s 27.5 version it’s a good bike! I wouldn’t buy the 29 er as the chain stays are to long. I have the 2019 version with an E8000 motor with the new firmware and it’s pretty powerful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles