Best emtb on a budget?

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
Hey all, I’m on the hunt for a new emtb.
I’ve already been to several shops and ridden a few around the block and have also had the luxury of my Brother upgrading and keeping his old Bike as a loaner (2019 Merida e160 700) which I’ve had fun on.
But now I’m at the pointy end of my decision and I’ve nailed it (I think) down to a few that are available here in Australia. Be interested to hear everyone’s opinions on the bikes I’m looking at any pros and cons. Or maybe throw a spanned in the works and tell me I’m totally going in the wrong direction.
Little bit about me so you can gather my ability and type of riding I’ll be doing.
I’m 50 years young!!
And have ridden Dirtbikes most of my life, plenty of enduro and single trail stuff. Loved it lived for it!
Have always had a bike in the shed.
Have also had and still do have a old mountain bike in the shed.
The bikes I’ve narrowed it down to within my budget are;
2021 Focus Jam2 6.7 ($6500)
2021 Norco sight vlt A1 29 ($6500)
2020 Cannondale moterra neo 3 ($6500)
Then out of my budget but should I blow my budget slightly and do it.
2021 Scott Genius eRide 930 ($8000)
2021 mondrake Dusk R ($7900)
2021 Orbea wild fs h25 ($8200)
Everything is in Australian dollar.
thanks for your reply’s in advance.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hey all, I’m on the hunt for a new emtb.
I’ve already been to several shops and ridden a few around the block and have also had the luxury of my Brother upgrading and keeping his old Bike as a loaner (2019 Merida e160 700) which I’ve had fun on.
But now I’m at the pointy end of my decision and I’ve nailed it (I think) down to a few that are available here in Australia. Be interested to hear everyone’s opinions on the bikes I’m looking at any pros and cons. Or maybe throw a spanned in the works and tell me I’m totally going in the wrong direction.
Little bit about me so you can gather my ability and type of riding I’ll be doing.
I’m 50 years young!!
And have ridden Dirtbikes most of my life, plenty of enduro and single trail stuff. Loved it lived for it!
Have always had a bike in the shed.
Have also had and still do have a old mountain bike in the shed.
The bikes I’ve narrowed it down to within my budget are;
2021 Focus Jam2 6.7 ($6500)
2021 Norco sight vlt A1 29 ($6500)
2020 Cannondale moterra neo 3 ($6500)
Then out of my budget but should I blow my budget slightly and do it.
2021 Scott Genius eRide 930 ($8000)
2021 mondrake Dusk R ($7900)
2021 Orbea wild fs h25 ($8200)
Everything is in Australian dollar.
thanks for your reply’s in advance.
Ebike prices are soaring at the moment in Aus. I have an 2020 e160 ltd with the E8000 motor which has a few upgrades and I love it but, if I was buying now, my preference would to get something with the newer EP8 motor (less resistance) and with the bigger 600wh battery. The motor and battery are things you cant really upgrade whereas everything else you can. I also prefer cheap Shimano to cheap Sram.

So here's what I would do:
For the budget one I would choose the 2021 Merida e160 500. It has the newer motor and 600wh battery but upgrade tyres straight away and I hate the display unit that comes with it.
For out of budget I would go either the Marin Alpine Trail E2 from bicycles online for $8900. Great bang for buck. Or the 2021 Merida e160 700 or 8000 (just make sure its the 21 model with bigger battery and new motor). The Mondraker looks good though.

If smaller battery sizes doesn't worry you then there are a few 2020 Giants for pretty good spec and money.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Ebike prices are soaring at the moment in Aus. I have an 2020 e160 ltd with the E8000 motor which has a few upgrades and I love it but, if I was buying now, my preference would to get something with the newer EP8 motor (less resistance) and with the bigger 600wh battery. The motor and battery are things you cant really upgrade whereas everything else you can. I also prefer cheap Shimano to cheap Sram.

For the budget one I would choose the 2021 Merida e160 500. It has the newer motor and 600wh battery but upgrade tyres straight away and I hate the display unit that comes with it.
For out of budget I would go either the Marin Alpine Trail E2 from bicycles online for $8900. Great bang for buck. Or the 2021 Merida e160 700 or 8000 (just make sure its the 21 model with bigger battery and new motor). The Mondraker looks good though.

If smaller battery sizes doesn't worry you then there are a few 2020 Giants for pretty good spec and money.

Thanks for that, really appreciate it! Yeah I was originally going to go the Merida e160 2021 with the ep8 motor and 625wh battery, but trying to get hold of one is a major issue. And I really liked riding my brothers older spec one. I did look at a Giant trance x pro 2 and it was at a super good price but the battery did pull it me off. That’s where the Focus Jam2 comes in it has the Brosch CX motor and 625wh battery felt very similar to the Merida (well to me it did) it just felt like it could be lots of fun.
And yes the mondraker well it looked mint!! I rode the higher spec RR as the R is on back order but it was a very nice nimble feel.
But it is so funny you mentioned the Merida’s as that’s what I was originally going to purchase.
May have to do a bit more investigating see if I can source one out.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
One nice thing about older Gaint Trance, Stance, is that the new larger 2021 batteries are compatible backwards to at least 2019 bikes. The covers need swapped but they plug right in.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Your best bet is to call all the Merida dealers that don't have a website - better chance of them having stock than the bigger online operations IMO.

yes I’ve driven around pretty much every suburb and done it the old way, have come across plenty Merida’s just all small or mediums unfortunately

Acousticmood

Apr 1, 2021
So Cal
I originally though $3-$5000 was till I walked in a few stores
Sorry I thought your budget was as you listed in the o.p.

if you can find a model from last year or earlier,still in a store you will get a good value. I just found a 2019 Scott (6,400 list) for 5,400. I got my 2017 trek in. 2018 for 20% less. Google stores near you, then send them an email - you could get lucky.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Sorry I thought your budget was as you listed in the o.p.

if you can find a model from last year or earlier,still in a store you will get a good value. I just found a 2019 Scott (6,400 list) for 5,400. I got my 2017 trek in. 2018 for 20% less. Google stores near you, then send them an email - you could get lucky.
Sorry for the confusion, my budget is $6000 but looking at going to $8000 . The $3-$5k was what I originally thought it would cost to get on an e bike

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
What size are you after?
Checkout bikeexchange.com.au if you haven't already.
Size Large, Yeah been all over that page. Just got back from 3 shops today and confused myself even more, as one had a Norco Sight VLT A1 with nice bike but has the older Shimano 8000 motor in it, is there really that much of a difference? But the offer was $5500 and I could have it, that’s $1100 cheaper than anything else at this point, should I do it, or will I wish I’d spent the extra money a few months down the track?

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Size Large, Yeah been all over that page. Just got back from 3 shops today and confused myself even more, as one had a Norco Sight VLT A1 with nice bike but has the older Shimano 8000 motor in it, is there really that much of a difference? But the offer was $5500 and I could have it, that’s $1100 cheaper than anything else at this point, should I do it, or will I wish I’d spent the extra money a few months down the track?
That's pretty good for $5500. I'd do that.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Remember a good shop close to you is very nice.
Do not only focus on price or brand.

Yes, ain’t that the truth,
Hence why this Norco I rode today is very tempting, the shop is like 10km away from my home, didn’t even know it existed till today.
In saying that the shop with focus jam2 6.7 is only 20km away.
The rest are considerably further to travel.
Both bike feel completely different
Both have very similar spec’s on paper
Similar size batteries
Completely different motors
Borsch cx 4 in the focus & Shimano e8000 in the Norco. I do like the fact both bikes are closer to my original budget but being new to the emtb world am I going to wish I’d just spent more on one of the other dearer bikes I was looking at?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hence why this Norco I rode today is very tempting, the shop is like 10km away from my home, didn’t even know it existed till today.
Similar size batteries
Borsch cx 4 in the focus & Shimano e8000 in the Norco. I do like the fact both bikes are closer to my original budget but being new to the emtb world am I going to wish I’d just spent more on one of the other dearer bikes I was looking at?
I would choose the Bosch wich is more reliable.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Similar size batteries
As it's your first emtb I wouldn't spend any more than these and think you would enjoy both. The bang for buck just isn't there for an extra $3-4k at the moment, particularly with Covid. I would get one, use it, figure out what is doesn't do that you would want, then just sell it in a year and upgrade to another bike as they seem to hold value pretty well.

Personal thoughts disclaimer:
I think the Norco is better bang for buck as the forks and shock are better. Focus has better running gear with the SLX. Brakes and tyres the same and pretty good and rest is equivalent. Both motor's are good and buying new gives warranty anyway so I wouldn't have issues either way. They do have very different geometry and will handle very differently. The Norco's geo is more built for stability going down with a longer wheelbase and a pretty slack head angle at 64 degrees. The focus would be more of a generic trail bike. You could upgrade the fork on the Focus later (Second hand lyrik or 36 for under $1000) and increase it by 10-20mm to make it a little slacker too.

Post a pic when you get one!

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
As it's your first emtb I wouldn't spend any more than these and think you would enjoy both. The bang for buck just isn't there for an extra $3-4k at the moment, particularly with Covid. I would get one, use it, figure out what is doesn't do that you would want, then just sell it in a year and upgrade to another bike as they seem to hold value pretty well.

Personal thoughts disclaimer:
I think the Norco is better bang for buck as the forks and shock are better. Focus has better running gear with the SLX. Brakes and tyres the same and pretty good and rest is equivalent. Both motor's are good and buying new gives warranty anyway so I wouldn't have issues either way. They do have very different geometry and will handle very differently. The Norco's geo is more built for stability going down with a longer wheelbase and a pretty slack head angle at 64 degrees. The focus would be more of a generic trail bike. You could upgrade the fork on the Focus later (Second hand lyrik or 36 for under $1000) and increase it by 10-20mm to make it a little slacker too.

Post a pic when you get one!
Thank for that!! It has pretty much put my mind at easy, I hadn’t thought of it like that , so sincerely “thank you”.
I’m stopping at both shops tomorrow. As both Focus & Norco are on shop floors.
Will put it to the Focus dealer about the price point for the Norco and if they can sharpen there’s anymore I jump on it, if not then a Norco sight vlt A1 for $5500 isn’t a bad thing ? and yes pic’s will be posted, cause as they say “Pic’s or it didn’t happen” ??

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I would choose the Bosch wich is more reliable.

I'd also choose the Bosch - but it'd be difficult to infer reliability from motors with massively different time in the field.

I think my criteria in order would be:

1. Is the geo/travel suitable for the riding you expect to do. Sounds like Norco wins here.
  2. Is the motor/battery up to date. Focus wins here.
  3. What's the spec like.
You can do a bit to alter point 1. You can't do anything to alter point 2. If you or a mate are relatively ok on the spanners, point 3 becomes irrelevant, if you keep bikes for a while. Dearer bikes are getting you a better spec, but it's easy (and more fun, IMO) to build up to that. No original parts left on on my 2018 Levo now :)

Sounds like you have the option for a test ride on both? If the Norco *feels* more like the bike for you, then it is.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Ok. BAD NEWS TODAY. Took the day off work to go grab the Norco sight vlt A1, walk into the store can’t see it anywhere.
The bloody thing SOLD about 20 mins after I walked away to an online customer ?!! Oh well lesson learned. I guess
Looks like it going to be the Jam2 for me.
Pics will be posted once bike is in hand

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Jam has a better motor and is still a decent bike? You can play with the spec over time if you find you want a bit more travel, slightly adjusted geo etc. Just try not to miss out on both!

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Ok fella’s, few interested things have happened in the course of 24hrs. Have opens my emails this morning to be bombarded by shops no reconsidering my purchase offers on their floor stock, think maybe some might have more stock arriving, hence the drop in prices on stuff they still have.
As you all know I missed out on the Norco vlt A1 at $5500.
Which I was super comfortable with paying

After reading this again, I dropped into my local Giant dealer on the way down to put the deposit on the focus jam2 6.7 and started chatting and explaining what I was just about to go do. Only for him to turn around and say that he had a 2021 Trance X E+ pro 2 out the back still in a box, I can have for $7000 and he’ll throw in lid, gloves and first 2 services.
I left a deposit. There and then. The spec’s are so much better than the Jam, have I done the right thing? Or will I kick myself later?

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ok fella’s, few interested things have happened in the course of 24hrs. Have opens my emails this morning to be bombarded by shops no reconsidering my purchase offers on their floor stock, think maybe some might have more stock arriving, hence the drop in prices on stuff they still have.
As you all know I missed out on the Norco vlt A1 at $5500.
Which I was super comfortable with paying

After reading this again, I dropped into my local Giant dealer on the way down to put the deposit on the focus jam2 6.7 and started chatting and explaining what I was just about to go do. Only for him to turn around and say that he had a 2021 Trance X E+ pro 2 out the back still in a box, I can have for $7000 and he’ll throw in lid, gloves and first 2 services.
I left a deposit. There and then. The spec’s are so much better than the Jam, have I done the right thing? Or will I kick myself later?
Congrats, nice bike! You can leave it just as it is for a while.
Then after a week the first thing I would do is upgrade the shock to a coil. Also, that fork can take the Marzocchi coil upgrade which I have done and really rate and increase travel by 10mm.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Congrats, nice bike! You can leave it just as it is for a while.
Then after a week the first thing I would do is upgrade the shock to a coil. Also, that fork can take the Marzocchi coil upgrade which I have done and really rate and increase travel by 10mm.
I love the bit. “you can just leave it for a while, then after a week” ?? gold!!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Sounds to me like you have done exactly the right thing there, you are going to love that bike, here's hoping you get some great weather to get out on it.

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
It’s official, I’m an IDIOT!!
I’m so indecisive and read into everything way to much.
As you are all aware I put the deposit down on the Trance X pro2 ($200) and was picking it up yesterday. Well, I kind of didn’t get it, I went in today sat on it rode it around the street for a bit, it just felt really really big more like a street cruiser to me, sorry if I offend any trance owners, I’m going to just point out remember I’m a 50yr old newbie.
But it just had that feeling that I wasn’t going to be able to get it to loose in the tight stuff, also remember I come from decades of riding enduro and mx’ers . So getting loose through the trails is something I’ve always loved.
So sadly I returned to the shop expressed my feeling and to the guys credit, he understood and gave me a refund, it’s not like it won’t sell, people are screaming for bikes at the moment here in Oz.
I’m now rethinking my entire e-mtb check list
1. My budget is going to have to increase
2. Battery is going to have to be 630+Wh
3. Best one for pulling my 96kg backside up some steep snotty stuff. (Down hill in fine with all me)
4.reliability, I don’t want something that is an absolute weapon but glitches every other ride.
One now very confused newbie that has done way to much research on something he knows absolutely nothing about.
Thanks in advance for your replies

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles