Best All-Around EMTB?

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
So I'm a newb in the EMTB scene. Looking to buy my first EMTB. Been riding motorcycles for a loooong time and just sold my Aprilia so have a good 8.5K+ (Euros) to spend.

Riding will be all over the Swiss Alps but probably mostly trails? I'm looking for a good all-around bike that can do trails, downhills, climb well, etc... I've researched Whyte, YT, Kenny, Specialized, Haibike, etc. but alas so many choices.

Would love all of your input!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Best all-round motorcycle?

Nope. No such thing.

Funnily enough it's just the same with Emtb (or mtb for that matter)

Some bikes will be better suited to your own personal riding style and preferences though.

One bonus of being a noob is that pretty much any bike you buy at your budget is going to be capable of taking on riding way above your current riding limits, experience and skill level

Last edited:

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
Best all-round motorcycle?

Nope. No such thing.

Funnily enough it's just the same with Emtb (or mtb for that matter)

Some bikes will be better suited to your own personal riding style and preferences though.

One bonus of being a noob is that pretty much any bike you buy at your budget is going to be capable of taking on riding way above your current riding limits, expereience and skill level
Ha! Yes, very true :) The bike will greatly outperform my skillset!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ha! Yes, very true :) The bike will greatly outperform my skillset!
Modern eMTBs are all pretty good these days... they are all capable, but all of them also have the potential to play-up - durability and reliability can still be the luck-of-the-draw unfortunately, regardless of the price you pay and brand reputation. From what you've shared, I would only consider full suspension (which I believe you're already looking into). And although you're intending to do "trail riding" I would encourage you to consider getting an 'enduro' eMTB as opposed to a 'trail specific' eMTB. Don't let the weight, long travel and slack head angles fool you, the motor makes them very capable climbers - but will pay dividends when you start going down those trails (notice I didn't call it downhilling because that's a different category). You mentioned that you have been riding motorcycles and so you are accustomed to riding at higher than bicycle speeds. The moment your trails start pointing down, trust me you'll be glad you've on a bike with enduro DNA. The component specs are just a notch better than what you'll find on trail specific eMTBs... it'll have larger brake rotors, four-pot hydraulic callipers, better suspension sensitivity and adjustability, wider rims, fatter tyres, etc.

My advice is to research what brands are common in your area, or the LBS along your trails... brands with a good reputation for availability, warranty and parts replacement. They are electrical appliances and at some point will need specific servicing that is not DIY attainable.

All the best in your hunt, and if you end up stuck with several choices that all fit the bill, choose the pretty one. :)

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Find a local dealer that is reputable and see what they have on the floor. Especially for a first bike it is handy to have a shop as a safety blanket.

You can get a very worthy bike for well under your target price. Put the left over into a money account and save it for when you get the bug hard and want to trade up.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
No hesitation - counterintuitively - Kenevo.
But this looks like it might be just as good.

decoy27_dark_slate_elite_side.jpg

Decoy, Kenevo & Levo are just 3 examples of what I think are amongst the best all-rounders.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Whare are you in Switzerland?
I popped into my local M-Way E Bike shop in Basel and they had loads of bikes that I could try out. See what fits you and wil cover your needs. You can try the different motors, bikes etc and see what you like.
I would recommend getting a bike from a local bike shop if you can. Then if you have any problems you can easily get it fixed. If you buy online, it can be a P.I.T.A. shipping a bike around for a simple guarantee problem. The extra cost of buying locally can save you in the long run.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A Kenevo most certainly is not an all-rounder. It's a heavy burly bike and squarely aimed at riders with a preference for descending and hitting big jumps/drops.

And although you're intending to do "trail riding" I would encourage you to consider getting an 'enduro' eMTB as opposed to a 'trail specific' eMTB.
There's actually very little difference between a lot of enduro and trail bikes in geometry these days. The main difference is suspension travel which there are drawbacks to having either too much or too little. Many actual professional Enduro riders ride shorter travel bikes than most of the old men tottering around trail centres on Ebikes seem to *need*

Don't let the weight, long travel and slack head angles fool you, the motor makes them very capable climbers
Weight doesn't hinder climbing too much, but it most certainly does hinder maneouverability, playfulness and acceleration.
Ebikes are all heavy. and most have the extra weight placed centrally meaning they are more stable than normal bikes and if you have a nice light weight wheelset the increase in suspension performance and grip is noticable. Most Frames and batteries are a similar weight like for like ie. 504wh vs 504wh, aluminium vs aluminium. there's a fair bit more difference between the heaviest motors and the lightest but the main difference in weight on emtbs (whatever the travel) is what components are bolted to them. eg. Suspension, wheels, tyres, control points etc.
Extra weight will not pay dividends when you're already in the 47lb+ category.

The component specs are just a notch better than what you'll find on trail specific eMTBs...
Better? really? er... No. component spec increases with pricepoint. Not category.
it'll have larger brake rotors, four-pot hydraulic callipers, better suspension sensitivity and adjustability, wider rims, fatter tyres, etc.
a heavy 220mm rotor with a heavy 4 piston DH brake caliper is not actually a benefit if your riding does not warrant the extra power. Same with heavy long travel suspension.
Contrary to your belief longer travel suspension does not equal more sensitivity. and more adjustment (especially for a noob) rarely translates to more grip on the trail.
Unless you are riding sand/snow, wider rims and fatter tyres do not equal more grip either. and TBH only a noob, lower skilled rider or someone who blinkeredly believes marketing BS would even think this.

But... having said all that, if it were me living in the Alps and looking for an Emtb I'd definitely be looking for a longer travel slacker burlier bikes with more battery range rather than lighteweight all-rounders.

But I'm not the OP

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
So I'm a newb in the EMTB scene. Looking to buy my first EMTB. Been riding motorcycles for a loooong time and just sold my Aprilia so have a good 8.5K+ (Euros) to spend.

Riding will be all over the Swiss Alps but probably mostly trails? I'm looking for a good all-around bike that can do trails, downhills, climb well, etc... I've researched Whyte, YT, Kenny, Specialized, Haibike, etc. but alas so many choices.

Would love all of your input!
Thank you for everyone’s input! Love this community!

Just to clarify, I meant ‘enduro’ NOT trail bike as I like speed and definitely will go for a full suspension bike. I guess the question is 150/160 front vs a 180? 29 all around or mullet Setup?

I’m currently still in the US where you can’t get a bike anywhere to try out. I’ll be back in Europe by Christmas so doing my research now to be ready for spring!

Again, thanks for everyone’s input!!!!!

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
Modern eMTBs are all pretty good these days... they are all capable, but all of them also have the potential to play-up - durability and reliability can still be the luck-of-the-draw unfortunately, regardless of the price you pay and brand reputation. From what you've shared, I would only consider full suspension (which I believe you're already looking into). And although you're intending to do "trail riding" I would encourage you to consider getting an 'enduro' eMTB as opposed to a 'trail specific' eMTB. Don't let the weight, long travel and slack head angles fool you, the motor makes them very capable climbers - but will pay dividends when you start going down those trails (notice I didn't call it downhilling because that's a different category). You mentioned that you have been riding motorcycles and so you are accustomed to riding at higher than bicycle speeds. The moment your trails start pointing down, trust me you'll be glad you've on a bike with enduro DNA. The component specs are just a notch better than what you'll find on trail specific eMTBs... it'll have larger brake rotors, four-pot hydraulic callipers, better suspension sensitivity and adjustability, wider rims, fatter tyres, etc.

My advice is to research what brands are common in your area, or the LBS along your trails... brands with a good reputation for availability, warranty and parts replacement. They are electrical appliances and at some point will need specific servicing that is not DIY attainable.

All the best in your hunt, and if you end up stuck with several choices that all fit the bill, choose the pretty one. :)
Yes! Looks are important for sure! ? Definitely will go for a full suspension setup!

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
Whare are you in Switzerland?
I popped into my local M-Way E Bike shop in Basel and they had loads of bikes that I could try out. See what fits you and wil cover your needs. You can try the different motors, bikes etc and see what you like.
I would recommend getting a bike from a local bike shop if you can. Then if you have any problems you can easily get it fixed. If you buy online, it can be a P.I.T.A. shipping a bike around for a simple guarantee problem. The extra cost of buying locally can save you in the long run.
I’ll be moving back to the lake of Zurich region. Will definitely check out bike retailers once I’m back. Do you have experience with the Swiss brand Flyer?

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
A Kenevo most certainly is not an all-rounder. It's a heavy burly bike and squarely aimed at riders with a preference for descending and hitting big jumps/drops.

There's actually very little difference between a lot of enduro and trail bikes in geometry these days. The main difference is suspension travel which there are drawbacks to having either too much or too little. Many actual professional Enduro riders ride shorter travel bikes than most of the old men tottering around trail centres on Ebikes seem to *need*

Weight doesn't hinder climbing too much, but it most certainly does hinder maneouverability, playfulness and acceleration.
Ebikes are all heavy. and most have the extra weight placed centrally meaning they are more stable than normal bikes and if you have a nice light weight wheelset the increase in suspension performance and grip is noticable. Most Frames and batteries are a similar weight like for like ie. 504wh vs 504wh, aluminium vs aluminium. there's a fair bit more difference between the heaviest motors and the lightest but the main difference in weight on emtbs (whatever the travel) is what components are bolted to them. eg. Suspension, wheels, tyres, control points etc.
Extra weight will not pay dividends when you're already in the 47lb+ category.

Better? really? er... No. component spec increases with pricepoint. Not category.
a heavy 220mm rotor with a heavy 4 piston DH brake caliper is not actually a benefit if your riding does not warrant the extra power. Same with heavy long travel suspension.
Contrary to your belief longer travel suspension does not equal more sensitivity. and more adjustment (especially for a noob) rarely translates to more grip on the trail.
Unless you are riding sand/snow, wider rims and fatter tyres do not equal more grip either. and TBH only a noob, lower skilled rider or someone who blinkeredly believes marketing BS would even think this.

But... having said all that, if it were me living in the Alps and looking for an Emtb I'd definitely be looking for a longer travel slacker burlier bikes with more battery range rather than lighteweight all-rounders.

But I'm not the OP
Great input! Thank you. Definitely looking at full suspension, higher end bikes... Having raced motorcycles, I understand that the technology will be beyond my current and future skill level. I guess I’ll have to try out some bikes to see what Setup will be ‘best’. But yes, definitely leaning towards a bike that can handle all terrain, including gnarly downhills :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A Levo can do anything a Kenevo can depending who’s riding it !
Perfect all rounder edit Levo comp
Can you see what I did there? :D
One of my mates rides an '18 Levo with a fucked shock and forks that have never been serviced and he's easily the fastest in a group that includes Kenevos, Rails, Cubes and full bling, money no object '19 Levos.
I doubt that any of the current crop of eBikes aren't better than 99.9% riders require so any would suffice for most people.

But... having said all that, if it were me living in the Alps and looking for an Emtb I'd definitely be looking for a longer travel slacker burlier bikes with more battery range rather than lightweight all-rounders.
I agree with this viewpoint.

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland

Yes, I'll definitely check out local bike stores. At this point I'm very much in research mode and am planning on purchasing a bike this winter/spring. Thanks for the input!

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
Can you see what I did there? :D
One of my mates rides an '18 Levo with a fucked shock and forks that have never been serviced and he's easily the fastest in a group that includes Kenevos, Rails, Cubes and full bling, money no object '19 Levos.
I doubt that any of the current crop of eBikes aren't better than 99.9% riders require so any would suffice for most people.

I agree with this viewpoint.
Agreed! A skilled rider will 'outride' most, no matter how crappy their bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Definitely been looking at YT's offerings! Their cost structure is very enticing.
Do yourself a favour and avoid being enticed by the price of anything if part of that enticement is coming from E13 carbon wheels.
They're terrible in pretty much every respect.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Two months ago I was 95% ready to buy a Cube Stereo 160. I live in Wisconsin and the only Cube dealer is on the west coast. Fly and Ride I think. After negotiating a $200 discount (then adding back $100 for shipping) for the last one he had, which was a demo bike, I was ready to buy it. Then I asked and found out it had 135 miles on it!! Basically a WELL used "new" bike. So a big $100 discount from a dealer 1500 miles away? I'll pass. Here's my point. Wheel and Sprocket are HUGE in Wisconsin here. They have 5 or 6 stores but I never wanted a Trek bike in my life. Until I saw the Trek Rail. Read the reviews and bought the last medium they had. Got to see it, feel it...THEN buy it. PLUS, it was $1,000 off. Not some BS $100 discount for a basically a used bike. Plus, they have a 3 year tune up and upgrade package for $200. Basically 100% bike care with annual tune ups and they perform all software upgrades for 3 years. I broke a dropper cable on the second ride...they had one waiting for me. You'll never get the ease of care and support from a dealer 1500 miles away. Buy local.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Are you sure , most ews bikes will come with 170/180 forks , I’d rather be over forked than under !

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
A Kenevo most certainly is not an all-rounder.
That's what I would've thought too but after almost a year, for me it's the go-to choice for any rides outside of a bike park i.e. 100% of my rides.

Actually thinking about a very relevant detail, my Kenevo is a MY19 X-Wing and is definitely enduro centric. The MY20/21 Kenevo is a DH beast. A good option for me with the new Kenevo would be to size down to S2 & make it a bit more agile without using carbon anything. Titanium bits maybe? That would just make it stupid expensive so only if I sell my car :[)

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Not much of a contribution here but basically I’ve had a Cube hardtail for over a year and I think it’s great but I’m always looking to see what my next bike would be if it was ever wrecked or stolen.

My riding skills have definitely improved and I’m venturing out on more knarly terrain. I think the following would be difficult to resist..

Focus Jam2 6.7 £3999

bosch motor, 625 battery, 150mm RockShox travel, Shimano drivetrain and brakes.

however if the Decathlon Stilus £2699 came with a 625 battery option then that would be pretty tempting also. It has space for a 625 battery so I’m puzzled why this is not an option.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles