New to EMTB £5k Budget

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Trek Rail 5 or 7 if you can stretch the budget slightly.
Whyte e-150 (29er) or e-160 (27.5) are also just over budget.
Cube Stereo Hybrid Action Team
All come with the Gen 4 Bosch and 625Wh battery.

Stock will be your biggest problem though, you may just end up calling every dealer you can think of until you find something your size in stock.
My mate you advised is very happy with the Trek rail, can’t wait till lockdown lifts and I can get out with him. It was slightly over the £5k but it’s a sorted bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I managed to pick up a Trek Rail 7
Well done at finding one in stock, with that sort of luck you should by a lottery ticket.

Get a better front tyre. I run a Magic Mary all year round on my Rail and it works well for me at Cannock. You then have a spare for the rear when the sidewall inevitably rips.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Depends on where and how you ride. There's a huuuuuuge tyre thread. Read that and you'll be none the wiser.

Here's a quick precis of the tyres I've used over the last 3 years, all comments refer to off piste riding in the Forest of Dean
1. Nobby Nik. Not a bad tyre in the dry, not aggressive enough in the wet.
2. Magic Mary. Awesome grip in the wet, good in the dry, poor in the bone dry. Very draggy and I lost about 10% range over the Nobby Nik and the...
3. Maxxis DHR2. Can't remember the compound or sidewall construction. Not as good as the Mary in the wet, same in the dry, better in bone dry.
4. Bontrager XR5. Stock tyre on the Rail. A bit like a DHR2, only less so due to smaller knobs.
5. Schwalbe Eddy Current. Horrible, horrible tyre. Massively stiff sidewalls means it pings off roots and rocks and doesn't grip well in any conditions if the surface isn't millpond smooth. Clogs in the wet and doesn't release the mud, even at speed. Avoid.
6. Michelin eWild. I like this one in the bone dry to damp. Not good in the wet.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
(Rob's) video say base model is around 8k?

Thats for the "Expert" with Carbon frame. : So the "base" flagship model.

22spec.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles