Hi another newbie to the forum and looking to get into eMTB. Have a budget around the 4k mark, like the Levo, Trek, Haibike using the Brose / Bosch ?

CHUNITED

Nov 13, 2018
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Hi there, another newbie to the forum and looking to get my first eMTB. Want a full suspension one. Have a budget around 4k mark, like the look of the Levo, Trek, Haibike, fitted with the Brose / Bosch set up
Any advice / experiences would be much appreciated. There's so many nowadays to look at it can get very confusing :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have ridden all three of those bike brands, but maybe not the exact ones you are thinking of. I have ridden others too, Giant, Cube, Moustache, Focus. Of all of them, the one that stood out to me was the Focus Jam2. I rode a demo model 6.7 PLUS and I loved it! As a consequence, I will be buying the 6.8 NINE (rrp £4230) but there are cheaper versions, from £3599.

JAM² - E-MOUNTAINBIKE FULL SUSPENSION - Bikes | FOCUS Bikes

Why did it stand out? By chance it was the only bike with the Shimano Steps e8000 motor. All the bikes were technically good, and the Giant, Cube, Levo and Moustache were a lot more expensive and better specced than the Focus I rode. But the way the power was delivered from the Focus just seemed to suit me far better than any of the other bikes. It was the only eBike I have ridden where I stopped thinking about what mode I was in and that I was riding an eBike. It became just a bike on which I was having a lot of fun.

Apart from the Focus's Shimano lever actuated mode shift, with all the other bikes except the Levo, every time I tried to change mode I ended up in a different one to that intended. This was because their mode shift was a push button or a rocker and on bumpy trails, my gloved fingers pushed more than once. The Bosch motors were noisy and a pig to ride after the power cut off. I rode the Focus for a hundred yards to the start gate before I realised the power was off!

The power from the Yamaha and Brose motors (higher torque than the Shimano) were pulsing as I rode, as though the motor was hunting for the correct torque. I was changing gear frequently, trying to stay at my usual cadence. I discussed this with one of the Giant tech guys and he said that my cadence of 60 was too slow for the motor and that I should adopt a faster cadence, more like 75. This may be the absolutely wrong thing for me to do, but bugger that! It has taken me ten years to find out what works for me and I prefer a bike that feels like I've owned it for years. I didn't experience the pulsing motor with the Bosch (Trek, CUBE, Moustache) I got talking to another guy riding the top of the range CUBE full suss eBike. He too had ridden many different bikes and he agree with me about the faults with the Bosch, but said he didn't care as he loved the way the bike rode. He could be right and its me that has the flawed approach. But I'm looking for a bike that suits me and in which I have confidence to shell out around £4k. The lesson is that we are all different and you should ride as many as you can until you find one that floats your boat! :)

If it is a great looking bike you are after, take a look at the Moustache Samedi Trail range. I was out on it for four hours and every single rider I met loved the way it looked, some were surprised it was an eBike and all wanted to have a go. With a Shimano Steps motor I would have bought one. :)

First ride: Moustache Samedi 27 Trail 9

The bike the link opens to is a carbon framed version, but use Mr Google to take a look at the full range as they do alloy frames too.

Last edited:

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
What he said^^^
I rode a few bikes before chosing the TREK Powerfly 9 FS LT. I loved the Specialized, Cube and Giant bikes as well as the TREK. However, for me, it came down to what I was going to do with it... The TREK is far more capable than I am and the prce I paid (for a 2018 spec) against the like for like others made the decision fairly easy...
The moral of this is; ride as many bikes as you can, do not ignore pre-owned bikes and the latest models come with a price tag to match. You should get a 'better' older model for your budget.
Whichever bike you chose you will not regret it :)

CHUNITED

Nov 13, 2018
Many thanks to both Steve and Checkerzsnr for your concise replies, both of which demonstrate your various experiences, but more that that, the absolute necessity for me to get out there and try as many of the different types of bikes, within my price range, as I can.
Interesting re looking at older, unsold models, as opposed to paying a premium for a brand new one. I'm not look for cutting edge technology, ie for weight saving etc, as I am at the wrong end of the scales for that, and can soon lose weight by making a toilet visit prior to riding out :):) and getting a weight saving for free:):). Although my wife assures me that it is all muscle, or was that because we didn't use Purple Bricks :):)
Thanks again for your input, will certainly take it all on board

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Take a look at the Thok MIG, £3,600 for a bike with a lot of good kit on it for the price. I’m based in west yorks near to you and there’s not many in the UK at the moment so if you fancy seeing one in the flesh and kicking the tyres let me know.

grieko

Sep 15, 2018
9468AP annen Netherlands
What do you want to do with the bike? First you have to make clear that question.
What is the most important for you to use the Bike?

I prefer a Brose motor with Blevo app. The bike is better to control and to adjust to your needs.

If you ride on muddy dirty tracks try to avoid a Bosch motor wit the 13 teeth sprocket.

The bike? What do you need or want is the most important question. The geometry of the bike is important.. I have the experience Trek a sporty bike (I like) Cube is a friend for everyone, not for quick handeling, The Specialized very neutral bike that go where you want to go.

Shocks are a really important thing, spend time to take a look what you need and want.

I'm satisfied with the Specialized fully, but still I prefer the FOX shocks. Good luck and have fun..

CHUNITED

Nov 13, 2018
What do you want to do with the bike? First you have to make clear that question.
What is the most important for you to use the Bike?

I prefer a Brose motor with Blevo app. The bike is better to control and to adjust to your needs.

If you ride on muddy dirty tracks try to avoid a Bosch motor wit the 13 teeth sprocket.

The bike? What do you need or want is the most important question. The geometry of the bike is important.. I have the experience Trek a sporty bike (I like) Cube is a friend for everyone, not for quick handeling, The Specialized very neutral bike that go where you want to go.

Shocks are a really important thing, spend time to take a look what you need and want.

I'm satisfied with the Specialized fully, but still I prefer the FOX shocks. Good luck and have fun..
Many thanks Grieko for your input, still wading through the information out there, and yes narrowing my aims down to what I really want it for rather than dreaming what might be at my age :):) Thanks for your valued comments enjoy your riding

grieko

Sep 15, 2018
9468AP annen Netherlands
Many thanks Grieko for your input, still wading through the information out there, and yes narrowing my aims down to what I really want it for rather than dreaming what might be at my age :):) Thanks for your valued comments enjoy your riding

I-m 76 I'm from 1942.. did before moto MX and road race ( even Isle Mann TT)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Me too! I'm 67, didn't even get an mtb until I was 57, the absolute BEST thing I ever did, (after marrying my wife, having kids....they might be looking over my shoulder). Knees rebelling as well, osteo arthritis.

CHUNITED

Nov 13, 2018
Me too! I'm 67, didn't even get an mtb until I was 57, the absolute BEST thing I ever did, (after marrying my wife, having kids....they might be looking over my shoulder). Knees rebelling as well, osteo arthritis.
Hopefully Steve I'll get the same buzz when I get started.
Thought I'd got it narrowed down to a couple of manufacturers then the new Giant Trance e+ comes along, so now reviewing that and the upgraded Yamaha set up, looks a possible contender :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles