Rail (625Wh) Battery range extender for Trek Rail

Tovi Shavit

Apr 5, 2023
Israel
Hello,

I ride Trek Rail 9.8 with 625W battery. The bikes are perfect for me, however I'm looking for an option to extend the battery range (similar concept as with Fuel Ex). I understand that Trek does (and will) not provide a solution, however I was wondering if by any chance someone tried to attach a battery to the Trek rail socket used for charging. I will be glad to hear any other creative idea for battery range extender (other than "get yourself new bike" :) )

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I'm currently trying to figure out how to use a frame battery on my power tube bike. Seeing as I have three 500w frame batteries, I was thinking of using the charger socket also.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I'm currently trying to figure out how to use a frame battery on my power tube bike. Seeing as I have three 500w frame batteries, I was thinking of using the charger socket also.
Thanks for reminding me to get my arse in gear 😁
I have just found out a frame battery fits most of the way into the down tube. Enough to be easily secured with a wide Velcro strap. I need to try find a male to female cable now!

superglwl

Aug 5, 2023
Malaysia
Hi, Any update on the range extenders here? Had range anxiety last week when i just merely manage to get home with 4% battery left. Anyway, got me thinking, since bosch ebike system 2 allows for dual battery setup, could i actually just get the bosch Y cable and then strap on another smaller powertube (say the 500wh) to the frame? using a frame bags and velcro and connect them?

Tovi Shavit

Apr 5, 2023
Israel
Hi,

I ride Trek Rail 9.8 year 2020 (I think it is Gen 4). I was looking for the same solution and I found the following:

1. There is a small company in Spain that provides an extender solution (3 types of batteries), However I faced 2 issues with their solution that stopped me at the moment (1) They need to do a small adjustment on the 625 Wh battery as part of the solution and (2) due to air regulations, battery capacity shipment by Air is limited to 100-160 Wh.
I tried to contact them, however I believe that one that speaks Spanish will do better. I thought of buying a new 625Wh battery in Spain (might be asking them to buy it for me) and use a fiend who lives in Spain to ship it by Sea

Company name is Volabike

2. While riding in Italy (Cervinia area - amazing Enduro trails), our guide was using a hand build extender. There is a small company that build a 252/378 (18/23 Cm)/504/540/720 Wh (380-660 Euros) extender to Bosch engine (same concept). This is what they write:

To be able to mount the extender on BOSCH engines you need to modify the original battery by mounting the circuit we have developed inside.
Thus there are no problems with errors or malfunctions or over-voltages.
Send us your original battery, we will modify it and send it back to you with
the extender.

So if one speaks the language it might be that (for the right amount of money) they will send the 625 WH adjusted circuit only (?) and the batteries-engine connection wiring and maybe ship the extender by sea. Please note that US is not in their shipping list but maybe shipping to a fiend ( on site they provide a list of countries to which they ship to) or talking with them might help.

Company name is
Extender Battery

Via Spotorno
17011 Albisola Superiore
Italy
Telephone: 3505198720

Email: [email protected]

Link to their site:

I hope that I helped , and if someone was able to solve this issue I would like to know

[email protected]

BR - Tovi Shavit

Gianni

Sep 22, 2020
Ripatransone ITALIA
Hi,

I ride Trek Rail 9.8 year 2020 (I think it is Gen 4). I was looking for the same solution and I found the following:

1. There is a small company in Spain that provide an extender solution (3 types of batteries) attached where the water bottle bolts. There are 2 problems with their solution that stopped me at the moment (1) they need to do a small adjustment on the 625 battery as part of the solution and (2) due to air regulations, battery capacity is limited to 100-160 Wh.
I tried to contact them, however I believe that one that speaks Spanish will do better. I thought of buying a new 625Wh battery in Spain (might be asking them to buy it for me) and use a fiend who lives in Spain to ship it by Sea

Company name is Volabike

2. While riding in Italy (Cervinia area - amazing Enduro trails), our guide was using a hand build extender. There is a small company that build a 252/378/504/540/720 Wh (380-660 Euros) extender to Bosch engine (same concept). This is what they write:

To be able to mount the extender on BOSCH engines you need to modify the original battery by mounting the circuit we have developed inside.
Thus there are no problems with errors or malfunctions or over-voltages.
Send us your original battery, we will modify it and send it back to you with
the extender.

So if one speaks the language it might be that (for the right amount of money) they will send the 625 WH adjusted circuit only (?) and the batteries-engine connection wiring and maybe ship the extender by sea. Please note that US is not in their shipping list but maybe shipping to a fiend ( on site they provide a list of countries to which they ship to) or talking with them might help.

Company name is
Extender Battery

Via Spotorno
17011 Albisola Superiore
Italy
Telephone: 3505198720

Email: [email protected]

Link to their site:

I hope that I helped , and if someone was able to solve this issue I would like to know

[email protected]

BR - Tovi Shavit, Israel
Thank you, I am Italian and I don't know the company you mentioned. Non-original batteries can cause problems, I will avoid buying them. A friend of mine had a very bad experience (2 broken Yamaha engines) with non-original batteries.
Bosch is too restrictive but I hold on to their reliability.

Tovi Shavit

Apr 5, 2023
Israel
Thank you, I am Italian and I don't know the company you mentioned. Non-original batteries can cause problems, I will avoid buying them. A friend of mine had a very bad experience (2 broken Yamaha engines) with non-original batteries.
Bosch is too restrictive but I hold on to their reliability.
So you will not help ? at the end it is not a recommendation , everyone should decide if he is willing to take the risk.

BTW - one can buy from Bosch a powerpack of 300Wh ... and solve the issue of mounting.

Just need to know if they can overcome the need to send them the 625Wh battery ... Assuming they will send the part and I will replace it by myself.

Last edited:

Gianni

Sep 22, 2020
Ripatransone ITALIA
So you will not help ? at the end it is not a recommendation , everyone should decide if he is willing to take the risk.

BTW - one can buy from Bosch a powerpack of 300Wh ... and solve the issue of mounting.

Just need to know if they can overcome the need to send them the 625Wh battery ... Assuming they will send the part and I will replace it by myself.
what should I do exactly?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles