Rail (750Wh) Battery cover panel gaps.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've just bought a 2023 Rail 9.8 xt at something of a bargain price. I already have a 2021 Rail 7 but it is getting a bit tired and I fancied the bigger battery of the 9.8.
As many will know, the 7 is an alloy frame whilst the 9.8 is carbon fibre.
The battery cover on the 7 is a very neat fit with a minimal gap all around. The battery cover on the 9.8 is anything but neat with noticeably bigger gaps and looks as though it could fall off at any moment, although it does seem to be very secure.
Before I start fiddling can ask if anyone has been able to adjust this cover or is the poor fit just something you just have to accept with a carbon frame?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I've tried but photos don't really work. I was just asking if anyone with a carbon framed Rail managed or needed to adjust the battery fitment?
Yes. Rail 9.7 2020 here.

I was experiencing power cut out and a slight rattle. I removed the skid plate and loosened the lower bulkhead. A small lever push behind the bulkhead pushed things into place. An adjustment at the lock mechanism may be necessary also.

Haven’t had a problem since. No rattle ether.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks Stihldog.
I have only been out on one ride in anger but I didn't experience any power failures. My issue is a more aesthetic and crap exclusion one but from what you say, the plates at either end of the RIB do have some lateral adjustment. The lock end is the one that seems most out of kilter with my bike.
I'll have a fiddle and try not to cause real issues.

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
Thanks Stihldog.
I have only been out on one ride in anger but I didn't experience any power failures. My issue is a more aesthetic and crap exclusion one but from what you say, the plates at either end of the RIB do have some lateral adjustment. The lock end is the one that seems most out of kilter with my bike.
I'll have a fiddle and try not to cause real issues.
I don't know how bad the gap are but I've used p strips on mine to keep the mud and wet out.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I don't know how bad the gap are but I've used p strips on mine to keep the mud and wet out.
Thanks Jono, I always run a length of electrician's tape along the bottom edge of the battery on my Rail 7 before riding. I will no doubt do the same with my 9.8 but the fit of the battery and cover is just rubbish and is really irking me.

Pjaz

Subscriber
Jan 28, 2024
Az
I have a 23 Rail 9.8 xt and have the exact same large gaps. They are large enough that the bike shop is annoyed by them. I had a battery self eject on a ride and the replacement battery and cover have the same gaps so seems to be as designed.

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
I have a 23 Rail 9.8 xt and have the exact same large gaps. They are large enough that the bike shop is annoyed by them. I had a battery self eject on a ride and the replacement battery and cover have the same gaps so seems to be as designed.
got any pics ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if they redesigned the size of the battery covers on the newer models? A tight fit and constant vibration could cause some paint chipping, which would be a warranty issue.

My concern with a foam seal would be; Can water or moisture escape?
My issue with the older model was the rattle. Some internal foam and battery adjustments solved that.

Pjaz

Subscriber
Jan 28, 2024
Az
This is with the old cover and testing the new latch which is the reason for the velcro strap. The new cover seems to have a bit less gap at the top and more at the bottom. The bike is at the shop for a failure on the Zeb so I don't have a pic with the replacement cover.

IMG_0114.png

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My 9.8 is black so the gaps don't show up in photos but the gap is most noticeable along the long upper edge.
I have pushed the two locating/lock plates in as far as I can but they didn't have much adjustment. That has slightly improved matters though.
There are also three thick, dense rubber blocks along the back of the battery compartment to stop any vibration but they will also prevent the battery being pushed back.
The locating/lock plates on my alloy Rail are way further recessed into the frame although I remember adjusting them when I first got the bike .

Pjaz

Subscriber
Jan 28, 2024
Az
My long upper gap is a bit more than the long lower gap just like yours. I have the 3 rubber blocks and I used to feel the resistance when pushing the battery in. The last adjustments they did removed that resistance. I didn't get to really test vibration/noise difference yet as the Zeb failed on the first chunky downhill 6 miles in.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Not Trek, but these neoprene covers from eBay ect cover any gaps and make good protection for the downtube.
No links as I had it given a couple of years ago.
PXL_20231125_130944798.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Quite like the 'P' strip idea, easier than sticking some tape over the gap every ride
Have made my own neoprene cover (well, my wife did). Works great but looks almost as shit as the shit it keeps out and I don't want to have to use it in the summer.
I'm sure I've seen an exploded diagram of the lock mechanism on here. Anyone know where it is

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles