Battery tube cover...is this normal?

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
Hi guys,
Ive been hearing a lot of creaking on my rail and I just figured out where-it’s the battery tube cover. Check out the video. Is this much “play” and movement and sound (creaking) normal?

thanks!

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Hi guys,
Ive been hearing a lot of creaking on my rail and I just figured out where-it’s the battery tube cover. Check out the video. Is this much “play” and movement and sound (creaking) normal?

thanks!

Yes, my Rail 5 is the same, so I guess that is 'normal' - even after checking the battery alignment is correct.

I will add though that I use a velcro strap around the frame incase the battery latch fails - as has been reported in some instances.
When that is on, there is no play or creaking at all.

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
Yes, my Rail 5 is the same, so I guess that is 'normal' - even after checking the battery alignment is correct.

I will add though that I use a velcro strap around the frame incase the battery latch fails - as has been reported in some instances.
When that is on, there is no play or creaking at all.

Thanks for the reply. You’re saying you have a strap that you tighten down around the outside of your frame? Am I understanding that correctly?

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Thanks for the reply. You’re saying you have a strap that you tighten down around the outside of your frame? Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes, that's right.
The strap I use is about 1"x18" with a simple plastic buckle and is very secure.

They are very cheap for a multi-pack of various lengths on Amazon, useful for lots of other jobs too.

Strap.jpeg

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I think you should not have to put any straps to attach your Trek Rail battery. The movement in the video seems totally normal or at least my bike has the same play.

I once had creaking sounds from the bike during couple of kilometres when I took the motor off the bike and installed it back.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I think you should not have to put any straps to attach your Trek Rail battery. The movement in the video seems totally normal or at least my bike has the same play.
I agree and, as I said, mine appears to be normal and secure too with that movement without a strap. I have also checked the alignment as per this Trek service bulletin.

I fit the strap purely as a safety measure after reading about and seeing videos of Trek batteries being badly damaged from falling out on the trail.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I fit the strap purely as a safety measure after reading about and seeing videos of Trek batteries being badly damaged from falling out on the trail.

I would just take my bike and battery to LBS and say that "Product is faulty, could you please have look at it" in case that my battery would fall out and be badly damaged even though I would have done the Trek battery adjustment procedure.

With these prices I would expect that the battery stays in the frame in normal riding conditions.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Well that’s super cool that you figured it out. Do you have any pics of how much and wear you put it?
No pictures readily at hand but it was a simple 50mm x 50mm square stuck to the inside left side of the downtube right up by the lock. When mounting the battery, you need to give it a firm press as the foam deforms to grip the battery snugly. I also did the battery alignment (instructions linked above) prior to this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles