Bafang m510

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Dado, any plans to develop an App for the phone? I would buy it anytime ;).
Viva la Velcros i am going to try them soon.Basically you can save around 1 Kg because the battery case is around 800gr and the lock and mounting plates of the battery are also 440gr or so .And if we make a battey around 600wh than we can have a bike around 20Kg or so with the m510 and dengfu frame
You're right. I have already done so 2 batteries. The 14An battery weighs 2.7 kg. My bike now weighs 20.3 kg. with a battery.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Dado, any plans to develop an App for the phone? I would buy it anytime ;).

Hello mate. I doubt displays/buttons with BT would support speed limit settings, or firmware flash. Not sure though. Anybody was able to set speed limit over BT?
So you would need a BT to CAN box (which needs to be coded and again reverse engineering of Bafang BT protocol) and then apps for android and iphone, which is pain.

So for now a device, which can be used also as a display - when not raining. ;)
Later will try some silicon orings, ifthat would do the job.

Cely CanMon2 LR.jpg

Last edited:

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
But I still want the M820. I'm looking for a lighter frame for the M820. A good bike should weigh 17 kg.
Can you please clarify why? To be honest I don't really understand this obsession with making the bike light.

Having an extra few kilos on the bike don't really hinder you that much. Having some extra juice in your battery on the other hand might mean a lot during some long rides...

Currently I am having a local battery builder do me a 14s5p 1080wh battery. I often do long trail rides and honestly I enjoy going fast in higher assist levels due to increased fun factor.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Hello mate. I doubt displays/buttons with BT would support speed limit settings, or firmware flash. Not sure though. Anybody was able to set speed limit over BT?
So you would need a BT to CAN box (which needs to be coded and again reverse engineering of Bafang BT protocol) and then apps for android and iphone, which is pain.

View attachment 100881
Do I understand correctly that the M510 motor cannot be configured using K1?

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Can you please clarify why? To be honest I don't really understand this obsession with making the bike light.

Having an extra few kilos on the bike don't really hinder you that much. Having some extra juice in your battery on the other hand might mean a lot during some long rides...

Currently I am having a local battery builder do me a 14s5p 1080wh battery. I often do long trail rides and honestly I enjoy going fast in higher assist levels due to increased fun factor.
I like light bikes. I always take a spare 2.6kg battery with me. When driving in the mountains, two batteries are enough for 100 km. When driving on a straight road, I think it will be enough for 200 km. 24Ah is better than one 17.5Ah

Mirkoser

Jul 31, 2022
Northern Germany
My e 10 with my 700wh battery weights 20,1 Kg . With 150mm RS Pike and RS Ultmate deluxe damper. Potential for reducing weight is only small battery or carbon rims … but carbon rims .. I don’t dare. It depends for what you wanna use your EBike. I like to have a small weight because I want to jump high. For tours it doesn’t matter if your bike has 20 or 25kg, I agree.
Still working on a light housing for a 13/14s battery with 20Ah . Holders are ready for 4x14 21700 cells
D08788BC-730B-45CE-B5F1-29503BA1F04C.jpeg
DC103190-0B2A-4346-B820-58BDB48B3EC8.jpeg

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
My e 10 with my 700wh battery weights 20,1 Kg . With 150mm RS Pike and RS Ultmate deluxe damper. Potential for reducing weight is only small battery or carbon rims … but carbon rims .. I don’t dare. It depends for what you wanna use your EBike. I like to have a small weight because I want to jump high. For tours it doesn’t matter if your bike has 20 or 25kg, I agree.
Still working on a light housing for a 13/14s battery with 20Ah . Holders are ready for 4x14 21700 cells View attachment 100903 View attachment 100904
How did you manage to get 20.1 kg with such a heavy battery. Pike is lighter than Liryc by 200 gr. What tires and wheels do you have installed?

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
I like light bikes. I always take a spare 2.6kg battery with me. When driving in the mountains, two batteries are enough for 100 km. When driving on a straight road, I think it will be enough for 200 km. 24Ah is better than one 17.5Ah
How do you solve the problem of the communication protocol line connector? The connection of the communication protocol line of Bafang M510 is 3 pins,

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia

View attachment 100881

How do you solve the problem of the communication protocol line connector? The connection of the communication protocol line of Bafang M510 is 3 pins,
I didn't understand the question.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The Bafang engines will run with a direct connection of power to the motor ( that is at the moment )unlike say Fazua which requires a CAN protocol between battery and motor to run.. What you don't get is all the niceties of predicted range left etc. My DPC241 display will still display battery voltage and battery percentage with a direct connection.

If someone wanted to build a display that can still display all these extras then the 3 extra wires are relatively small and would need a minimum space along with the larger power cables.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
The Bafang engines will run with a direct connection of power to the motor ( that is at the moment )unlike say Fazua which requires a CAN protocol between battery and motor to run.. What you don't get is all the niceties of predicted range left etc. My DPC241 display will still display battery voltage and battery percentage with a direct connection.

If someone wanted to build a display that can still display all these extras then the 3 extra wires are relatively small and would need a minimum space along with the larger power cables.
The original battery base with M510 motor has 7 terminals, and we are now looking for a high-capacity battery, the base has only 6 terminals, I don't know how to link it with the 3PINS communication protocol line, Bafang technicians Don't tell me, thesupplier of battery said they also don't know it.

BASE OF BATTERY.jpg

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
The original battery base with M510 motor has 7 terminals, and we are now looking for a high-capacity battery, the base has only 6 terminals, I don't know how to link it with the 3PINS communication protocol line, Bafang technicians Don't tell me, thesupplier of battery said they also don't know it.

View attachment 101169
Certainly dedicated wire to the bafang battery specific BMS to transmit data on battery using (Nb of charge, efficiency, etc..). For that i know, nothing other supplier battery provide these datas, only batteries provided by bafang can provide these datas.
Lot of people will be interested if you can find BMS who can communicate with bafang system.

What is the function of the 4 others connexions on the "new" base (2 for on/off switch, 2 for the battery charger ?)

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
about the rest 4 connect pins. 2 for data cable, that's what I want know, the last 2 for bafang's disc brake control, but now buyers normally no like use the bafang's brake, so they are useless to most people.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
brake linked to battery ?
the "new" battery is provided by bafang ?
are you sure that you have not 2 contacts reserved for external on/off switch of the battery ? (may be only one and one common with main + or -)

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
about the rest 4 connect pins. 2 for data cable, that's what I want know, the last 2 for bafang's disc brake control, but now buyers normally no like use the bafang's brake, so they are useless to most people.
On the M600 motor, I put a Magura brake with a built-in sensor, it is very convenient to switch gears when you press the brake a little. The M510 shifts gears easily and the brake is not needed there. It is convenient when the brake light lights up from behind and drivers see that you are stopping.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Had also brake sensors on Bafang HD. Then I realized I dont need them. I know I shouldnt be braking and pedalling. ;)
But you right, also was using it for shifting, when I pressed a little brake.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Guys it’s very easy to fit a magnetic switch onto the brake lever such as a XT Shimano or SRAM, simply use bumper double sided tape to position the magnet on the top of the lever and cable tie the switch to the brake unit.

But why bother, I’ve never needed them ?

Mida

Oct 23, 2022
ČR
I noticed that the calorie counter no longer works with the M510. Keeps value "0" since reset. The display is DP-C241. Some ideas?

I think the m510 has a simple torque sensor that detects whether there is pressure on the pedal but not how strong it is. That is why the motor cannot show any driver performance.
Did you somehow manage to solve this, e.g. by updating the firmware? Or is the M510 engine still not counting calories?

AaronC

Nov 15, 2022
Australia
Hey guys, I’ve Just finished building an e10 the Bafang m510 so keen to see how it goes.
I have a problem however,

It powered up fine in the garage and seemed all ok, when I took it outside for its first test I tried to turn it on and it wouldn’t power up at all, just seems dead.
The display showed 75% battery when it did power up.
All connectors and wires have been checked and are fine.
Battery tested and is fine.
Any recommendations on what to try next?
Do I need to get a programming cable and try to do a factory reset or something?
I’m not so sure the cable will work if it doesn’t turn on.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Moderator edit. Deleted by user as "rectified", but undeleted as otherwise thaebers next post doesn't make sense and it's more useful to share knowledge about how a problem was rectified rather than just delete your post if you've fixed your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Push engine and display connectors in using pliers. You will be surprised that You can push in another 2 or 3 mm. Connectors not fully pushed in is No 1 problem. Hope that helps!

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I‘m going to buy this combo when available
I like the fact that it caters for 35mm diameter bars. I just ordered one of these for my current Bafang display:
... which looks like a plastic version of the metal solution I saw you post elsewhere.

But that display you linked above, if it works with M510's, would certainly be awesome.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
I have switched to DZ41 on my bike. And although it lacks in features it really makes up in ergonomics! Much easier to see the speed and Pas level. The whole thing is solid and the barmount is much stronger than the flimsy dpc241 mount. And all of this for a very moderate price if 35eur. Highly recommended!

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I like the fact that it caters for 35mm diameter bars. I just ordered one of these for my current Bafang display:
... which looks like a plastic version of the metal solution I saw you post elsewhere.

But that display you linked above, if it works with M510's, would certainly be awesome.

B278440D-C1DB-4C0A-9D2C-3A165FD1D031.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles