Anyone moved away from Cushcore?

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I'd have liked you to have been present when I was fitting my Tannus inserts then! I suspect either your tyres are a bit looser than mine were, or you were really levering it on... Though I'd be interested to see how you stopped the tyre coming back off on one side whilst you lever in the other.
cut a 10mm square inside cushcore. fit cushcore, lining up 10mm cut out with valve. Drop wheel W cc into tyre "iv fitted into magic mary's DHR DHF's" work the tyre over the CC, use soapy water if struggling, Place onto side, onto something round, i use motorbike tyres, used a endurance tyre mouse last off. Then grip tyre & CC with both hands, push away, pull back in getting the tyre inbetween cc and rip, repeat all round making sure tyre pushed well in, Turn over & repeat, 20 min jub start to finish

Traveler99

Apr 30, 2020
Sammamish, WA
I have CC front and back. I thought they were easy enough to install/remove. I like them because I can run really low pressures here in the rainy PNW (18psi front) to deal with the slippery wet roots and still have really good rim protection with EXO+ tires. Also seems to give a bit plusher front ride up front. Haven't noticed any understeer as someone mentioned.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Never needed em with good tires, and taking the time to do a good tubeless install, with stans race sealant.

Good tires also help, i run schwalbe MM and EC, now TC instead of MM

RiderOnTheStorm

i thought the bike understeered and made the bike feel a bit like a fat bike with steering
Same feeling here. Since switching to Schwalbe's EC front and rear on my full fat, i no longer saw a need to use inserts. I don't have to run very low pressures where I ride, so no real concern about rim damage. Also I wasn't keen on adding more weight to my DT HX 1700 wheels. So far, so good! (y)

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Incorrect. I watched a ton of videos from numerous people for various different inserts and still struggled. Getting the last bit of bead on is an utter tw@ and even after successfully getting one on I still struggled just as bad with the second.

Bacon strips won't save you if you get any sort of cut in the tyre - that's what a spare tube is for.
Haha... I find it interesting when someone struggles with something and then "researches" a solution on Youtube and finds out that others struggle as well yet they are talking about a multi-million dollar company that seems to be working fine for so many other people. out that e a few people. I think that is called confirmation bias.
If you get that big of a slice in a tire, home does the tube not bulge out?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Horses for courses I guess. The Tannus inserts saved my rims when my tyres lost air, but I doubt they'd have lost air if I hadn't installed the inserts, so... 🤷‍♂️

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Haha... I find it interesting when someone struggles with something and then "researches" a solution on Youtube and finds out that others struggle as well yet they are talking about a multi-million dollar company that seems to be working fine for so many other people. out that e a few people. I think that is called confirmation bias.
If you get that big of a slice in a tire, home does the tube not bulge out?
Hardly. They're known to be an ar5e to fit. Plenty of threads on it online from many many people with similar frustrations. That's why your beloved Cushcore themselves sell a special tool for fitting them.

Just so you know, confirmation bias is when you seek out confirmation of your own beliefs to reassure you that you're correct. Searching for assistance to fit a product that's a b1tch to install isn't confirmation bias. Noticing that you're far from the only person having issues... Also isn't confirmation bias.

For the slice, you take something to cover the hole from the inside before inserting the tube. People use different things, but depending on the size of the hole even a power bar wrapper would suffice.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hardly. They're known to be an ar5e to fit. Plenty of threads on it online from many many people with similar frustrations. That's why your beloved Cushcore themselves sell a special tool for fitting them.

Just so you know, confirmation bias is when you seek out confirmation of your own beliefs to reassure you that you're correct. Searching for assistance to fit a product that's a b1tch to install isn't confirmation bias. Noticing that you're far from the only person having issues... Also isn't confirmation bias.

For the slice, you take something to cover the hole from the inside before inserting the tube. People use different things, but depending on the size of the hole even a power bar wrapper would suffice.
The "special" tool you say that Cushcore sells to mount the tires is actually to remove the tire as they can be difficult to break the bead. If you have good quality tires and rims, anyone willing to learn how to install them don't need special tools. There are also many YT videos on how easy it is to install Cushcore. I could make one for you if you like 😀.
Whether or not inserts or tubeless is for is dependent on several factors. You sound like you have it all figured out. You must ride in some pretty junky areas to rip tires up that much!
Happy trails!

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Yeah tried them coz side walls of Maxxis DD casing tyres kept ripping off in like 150kms per set, ended up going like 38 psi to try stop it with Cush Core... still no luck. Got recommended to try Michelin DH casing tyres, got rid of the cush core (which didn't help anyway) and happy days 800kms per set! I have since been recommended the Continental Kryptotal, so gave their DH casing tyres a try and although really expensive!!! They've been as durable as the Michelins , but the taller profile gives heaps more grip... they've been awesome

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Being retired from a job where I had to listen to everithing people had to say, but believe only in numbers…
I have an idea of what gnarly or rough could mean, but how much time does it take you to repair a thorn a tyre at the trailside is fairly measurable, and with cushcore inside it will take three to four times more, maybe eternity.
And I mean that kind of tear that can’t be plugged, but needs a patch to the inside, so that you need to take the tyre out of the rim.
One that has gone through this will know what I mean, other its a very lucky one or just has a different notion of what gnarly or rough myght mean.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I've done a repair trail side with Cushcore -- didn't take any longer to take the tire off and just ride it back with the Cushcore around my shoulder.

I'm not going to bother reinstalling it on the trail.

On the other side of the argument, I once drove out to the trailhead when I had a slow leak and had no concerns doing that with Cushcore because It was much easier to ride at a lower PSI. (Obviously not giving it).

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Being retired from a job where I had to listen to everithing people had to say, but believe only in numbers…
I have an idea of what gnarly or rough could mean, but how much time does it take you to repair a thorn a tyre at the trailside is fairly measurable, and with cushcore inside it will take three to four times more, maybe eternity.
And I mean that kind of tear that can’t be plugged, but needs a patch to the inside, so that you need to take the tyre out of the rim.
One that has gone through this will know what I mean, other its a very lucky one or just has a different notion of what gnarly or rough myght mean.
Your experience has data that is definitely measurable. I am not sure that Cushcore is meant for anyone who requires a trail side repair where you have to take the tire off. I would never try to do that. I also don't ride in an area where there are any thorns that are going to puncture or rip big slices into a tire that would require such a repair. The trails around here are mostly loam with embedded rocks and overlaying roots. We also have some large granite slabs to ride down so fortunately I have not had a flat since going tubeless.
If I had to contend with thorns, I definitely would stick with tubes.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
The "special" tool you say that Cushcore sells to mount the tires is actually to remove the tire as they can be difficult to break the bead. If you have good quality tires and rims, anyone willing to learn how to install them don't need special tools. There are also many YT videos on how easy it is to install Cushcore. I could make one for you if you like 😀.
Whether or not inserts or tubeless is for is dependent on several factors. You sound like you have it all figured out. You must ride in some pretty junky areas to rip tires up that much!
Happy trails!
So it's also hard to get the tyres back off after then? OK, good to know.

Sure, people always make videos when things are easy and need no explanation. 🙄

I don't rip tyres up at all. I also don't tend to ding rims. I was just answering a question.

I installed Tannus inserts for the supposed benefits. (Apparently a smoother ride and to enable lower pressures). But they were such a pain to fit that it was abundantly clear that any puncture on the trail would end my ride, because I'd never be able to fix it trailside.

If somebody came out with an insert that was genuinely easy to fit then I'd be interested. Suggesting a product is good because a multimillion dollar company made it is just pure comedy. They're only that rich anyway because they convince bikers to pay extortionate amounts for a bit of circular foam.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
So it's also hard to get the tyres back off after then? OK, good to know.

Sure, people always make videos when things are easy and need no explanation. 🙄

I don't rip tyres up at all. I also don't tend to ding rims. I was just answering a question.

I installed Tannus inserts for the supposed benefits. (Apparently a smoother ride and to enable lower pressures). But they were such a pain to fit that it was abundantly clear that any puncture on the trail would end my ride, because I'd never be able to fix it trailside.

If somebody came out with an insert that was genuinely easy to fit then I'd be interested. Suggesting a product is good because a multimillion dollar company made it is just pure comedy. They're only that rich anyway because they convince bikers to pay extortionate amounts for a bit of circular foam.
I find it takes me around an extra 5 minutes and a little more effort to get a tire off a rim as the sealant really sticks to the carbon rims I use. Using the the Cushcore Bead dropper is a lot easier on the hands to do that procedure.
Bead Dropper - Cushcore

I have 3 sets of rims so I dont change my tires all that often, maybe twice a year so its not a big deal for me to take the 20 minutes to swap out a set. I have attached two lnks on how to easily accomplish the job. One uses an extra tool to hold down the bead while installing the tire but I have never needed it.
Cushcore works for me a I don't get flats while I am riding that can't be repaired with bacon strips. YMMV. I would never try to take a Cushcore off during a ride. Your needs may also vary.
Cushcore are a successful company, have been around for years and meets the needs of many riders. Apparently you are not one of them for various reasons. I have Cushcore on all of my wheels and had great success with them. The OP's original questions was if rotational mass would be decreased if they removed the Cushcore and went to thicker side wall and didn't ask about their value or rider's experience with inserts, but here we are.

I ride mostly Whistler, Squamish and the North Shore here in BC which are mostly steep loam trails littered with rocks and roots with large granite slabs thrown in for variety. We are more likely to burp a tire than puncture a tire. Where do you ride, what bike do you ride and what kind of trails do you like to ride? I would probably not consider using Cushcore if I was riding XC for hours away from my car where I am likely to run over thorns and get large punctures and slices in my tires. If you ever feel a need to try Cushcore again, I recommend these videos.
Happy trails!

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I find it takes me around an extra 5 minutes and a little more effort to get a tire off a rim as the sealant really sticks to the carbon rims I use. Using the the Cushcore Bead dropper is a lot easier on the hands to do that procedure.
Bead Dropper - Cushcore

I have 3 sets of rims so I dont change my tires all that often, maybe twice a year so its not a big deal for me to take the 20 minutes to swap out a set. I have attached two lnks on how to easily accomplish the job. One uses an extra tool to hold down the bead while installing the tire but I have never needed it.
Cushcore works for me a I don't get flats while I am riding that can't be repaired with bacon strips. YMMV. I would never try to take a Cushcore off during a ride. Your needs may also vary.
Cushcore are a successful company, have been around for years and meets the needs of many riders. Apparently you are not one of them for various reasons. I have Cushcore on all of my wheels and had great success with them. The OP's original questions was if rotational mass would be decreased if they removed the Cushcore and went to thicker side wall and didn't ask about their value or rider's experience with inserts, but here we are.

I ride mostly Whistler, Squamish and the North Shore here in BC which are mostly steep loam trails littered with rocks and roots with large granite slabs thrown in for variety. We are more likely to burp a tire than puncture a tire. Where do you ride, what bike do you ride and what kind of trails do you like to ride? I would probably not consider using Cushcore if I was riding XC for hours away from my car where I am likely to run over thorns and get large punctures and slices in my tires. If you ever feel a need to try Cushcore again, I recommend these videos.
Happy trails!

I wouldn't say a tyre insert wouldn't meet my needs, I'm aware of the benefits, it's just that I wouldn't want to be stuck trailside with something I couldn't repair without a huge trash can and special tyre levers.

Also, to reiterate, I've not tried Cushcore, only Tannus Armour, though the design of Tannus Armour supposedly makes it easier to fit than Cushcore and the many frustrated stories I found online of people struggling with Cushcore fitment led me to believe that Cushcore wasn't for me. If it's any trickier than the Tannus Armour then I have no idea how I'd get them in.

I ride an ebike in muddy old England, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have an insert in the rear at least, to protect the rim from that ebike weight and allow me to run lower pressures in the winter slop, but I don't want to have to swear at my wheel for hours every time I want to check the sealant or something.

I'll have a look at the videos you shared. Hopefully they will offer something new, but I already saw a few using the bin technique. Those tyre clamp things look pretty good though...

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
It seems to me that these videos have been edited at exactly the point where things go south... the first at 2:38 the second at 13:34.
I use 32-34 psi at the rear tyre, with inner tubes filled with stans sealant, thats the best way I've found to avoid flats , it seals small puncutres and makes it possible to patch the tyre.
I allways carry a tube, small pump, co2 to use if in a a hurry, patches for tubes and tyres.
It was funny while riding at the Forest of Dean last year, I came across a bunch of guys aging fom 17 to 50 yo, all around an ebike trying to fix a flat rear tyre, they stopped me to ask if I had a pump. It was hard for me to understand what the guy was saying, because my spoken english is not so good but mostly because that situation sounded really absurd: six guys riding bikes and no one had a pump?!? maybe they all had a co2 inside the pocket :)
In the end his tyre did not hold air and he left in pushbike mode, saying he lived nearby.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
It seems to me that these videos have been edited at exactly the point where things go south... the first at 2:38 the second at 13:34.
I use 32-34 psi at the rear tyre, with inner tubes filled with stans sealant, thats the best way I've found to avoid flats , it seals small puncutres and makes it possible to patch the tyre.
I allways carry a tube, small pump, co2 to use if in a a hurry, patches for tubes and tyres.
It was funny while riding at the Forest of Dean last year, I came across a bunch of guys aging fom 17 to 50 yo, all around an ebike trying to fix a flat rear tyre, they stopped me to ask if I had a pump. It was hard for me to understand what the guy was saying, because my spoken english is not so good but mostly because that situation sounded really absurd: six guys riding bikes and no one had a pump?!? maybe they all had a co2 inside the pocket :)
In the end his tyre did not hold air and he left in pushbike mode, saying he lived nearby.
Hah! Sounds about right. I know several people who ride without any form of tools or spares... It's great!... Until you get a problem!

And yes, I noticed the cuts in the video also. I could make a video showing me fitting an insert in 10 minutes if I removed 50 minutes of me swearing at my wheels and crying.

Last edited:

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
And doing in a lake gets him out of the risk of being eaten by bears or cougars

Chuckles

Feb 16, 2020
Us
I am done with CC. I keep messing up my rim tape when i jam the bead under the CC into the center slot of the rim. Switching to DH rear, stick with DD casing up front. ALso, I have had a puncture in the rear where I broke a spoke, and it popped through my rim tape so I had to take out the CC and put a tube in it, and finish the ride with a CC around my shoulder. OVer it.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I am done with CC. I keep messing up my rim tape when i jam the bead under the CC into the center slot of the rim. Switching to DH rear, stick with DD casing up front. ALso, I have had a puncture in the rear where I broke a spoke, and it popped through my rim tape so I had to take out the CC and put a tube in it, and finish the ride with a CC around my shoulder. OVer it.
Now THAT must have looked pretty funny! How did you get the Cushcore out when you were on the trails? You must have massively strong fingers/hands!

Chuckles

Feb 16, 2020
Us
Now THAT must have looked pretty funny! How did you get the Cushcore out when you were on the trails? You must have massively strong fingers/hands!
I had all the tools, and a strong tire lever. It was in an enduro race, and i was able to finish the stage, albeit slower with the flat. Then I got to the the next transfer stage, and fortunately found someone with a tube (which i did not have at the time) and then a trash bag, which I put the cushcore in, and wore the trashbag as a backpack with the cinch straps. I had to race the final stage like that, and it was a mess...

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Bead Dropper - Cushcore

Happy trails!

Thanks - yes as OP my question was around performance not the fitting.

I used the bucket method on Hope Fortus 30 rims, Assegai and DHR II tyres. I also used the Cushcore tyre tool. I find them ok to install. Trick is to pop the bead into the rim channel to free up some slack. Also lube tyre and rim.

Need to be careful when levering the tyre onto the rim though as I’ve killed a few rim tape installs by going too heavy handed.

When the tyres are due I’m going back to a heavy duty tyre and no Cushcore to see how it fairs in comparison.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I ordered some Kryptotal rubber in DH spec to replace the Maxxis with Cushcore. Will fit next week ready for my next Enduro race.

speciman

Jan 29, 2023
najek7di62
Je n'ai pas essayé Cushcore, mais d'après les nombreux rapports en ligne faisant état de personnes en difficulté, la quantité de vidéos sur YouTube proposant de l'aide et le fait que Cushcore fabrique un outil spécial pour monter le pneu avec son insert à l'intérieur, je dirais que ce n'est pas le cas. cas. Beaucoup de gens sont en difficulté et mon expérience de l'armure Tannus confirme le fait que ce n'est pas facile. Ce n'est même pas une question de force pour le monter - vous arrivez à un point où il s'agit de savoir quel effet de levier vous devez exercer sur la jante pour essayer de soulever le pneu. De plus, le pneu aime se déloger à l'extrémité opposée, mais vous le faites.
En fin de compte, j'utilisais des sangles velcro bien serrées sur le pneu pour l'empêcher de se détacher lorsque je faisais levier sur le dernier morceau.

Tout cela était très compliqué et quelque chose que je ne pourrais pas faire au bord du sentier. Ce serait dommage de devoir rentrer chez soi à pied plutôt que de simplement accrocher un tube et continuer à rouler.
Bonsoir
Si tu suis le montage sur le tuto crushcore ça va bien
Je l'ai démonté plusieurs fois pour changer de pneu
Je mets la roue sur une poubelle pour éviter les appuis sur le centre de la roue, et vaporise également du produit a vitre pour mieux faire glisser le pneu sur le écrasé en faisant bien glisser le pneu au milieu de la jante
Avec de solides démontés pneu VTT
Bon courage et patience pour le premier

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles