Anyone else’s shimano EP8 motor clunk when cranks are moved?

Nate890

Apr 25, 2022
Golden
Hey guys,

having an issue with my ebike. It uses the EP8 motor. When the crank arms are slightly rotated there is a clunking noise, like something is catching. When pedalling on flat pavement, or climbing, only while in one of the top 3 highest gears the clunking sound is consistently audible. It does this whether the motor is engaged or not and even when the motor is turned off.

The crank arms are tight and the sound is without a doubt coming from within the motor.

it sounds similar to this guys problem posted here. I believe he meant to say happens when in high gears (easier gears) not low gears.

here’s a video demonstrating the issue when the cranks are slightly rotated:
Thank you!

Yetitribe

Nov 22, 2022
Issaquah
Between this noise on the way down and the whine on the way up ….how do u deal with the noise? Specially when i compare it to a regular bike that is so quiet.

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Get used to it :) E8000 was way more noisy motor on uphills than EP8. EP8 / Bosch clunk is a bit irritating but you forget it when speed increases enough...

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Been running my TK01-rr with ep8 for 1340 miles and interestingly the rattle is getting quieter.No idea why,initially I thought I was just getting used to it,filtering out the noise but it’s not that,it is significantly quieter than when it was new.I would love to know why.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles