• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Anybody losing weight on an e-mtb?

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
So I got the bike to recover from a hip fracture. Using eco mainly on trails.

Do we think there is much health benefit on e-bike?
49 years old
Resting heart rate 50
75kg
Heart rate running ave 145
Heart rate e-bike average 120

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
there's a health benefit from any form of excercise

Do E-bikes help you lose weight?
Yes. if you previously did LESS exercise
No. if you ditch riding normal bikes in favour of motor assitance.

I ride on average at least 10hrs a week (actual riding time). and pretty much always have done
At least half of those hours are now ridden using an Emtb.
In the first few months of riding emtb. I actually rode a little more but PUT ON WEIGHT (about a stone).
My diet hasn't changed. And that's the issue. I eat the same amount I have done for years but don't burn as many calories off as the motor is doing so much of the work I used to do myself.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Trying to lose 10kg to compensate for all the extra stuff I have to carry e.g. tools, pumps, repair kits, torches.

Keep in mind that Beekeepers part time job is repairing inflatable "friends" and "farm animals" ... It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it, and the urgent call out rates are very profitable.

Like @Gary, I've put on weight since starting to emtb. About 3kg's. But for me that's increase in muscle mass on legs/glutes/shoulders/upper arms, just from using muscles I didn't normally use to the same extent or in the same way. I also eat way more after a ride as I'm starving, but then I'm a bit like a shrew and if I don't eat every 10 minutes, I'd probably die :)

@Gary - did you get the sommet ?

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
So I got the bike to recover from a hip fracture. Using eco mainly on trails.

Do we think there is much health benefit on e-bike?
49 years old
Resting heart rate 50
75kg
Heart rate running ave 145
Heart rate e-bike average 120
My numbers are very similar to yours, except for my e-bike average; it is 135-140 same as my running average.
I use a hr monitor when I ride and on the e-bike I use it’s assist as needed to keep my hr in the 125-150 zone.

So yeah, weight loss is more than possible, for me it’s fat loss, staying lean is my goal. E-bike is only the fun part of that equation, not eating like shit is the major part.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Losing weight on an ebike is easy - as long as you don't ride it like you would an analogue bike.
Pretty much it is the same as walking - many go out in an unfit state and find initially they drop weight fairly easily but results taper off then plateau. The reason for this is that as we get fitter we follow the traditional response is to up the pace and walk a bit faster - which seems to do little for weight loss. Good for the health of heart & lungs and builds up muscle but bad for weight loss.
When walking the ideal is to walk at a steady SLOW pace - about 3mph. As one gets fitter this is hard to do, but using pedometers or heart rate monitors are great for assisting at keeping things slower. With an ebike, because of the assist we go out harder and do our 'loop' in shorter time. What we should do is extend that loop and ride slower.

@Zimmerframe ....... just avoid stopping for wine and croissants every 5-10 km and you might find weight loss easier :whistle:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
just avoid stopping for wine and croissants every 5-10 km and you might find weight loss easier

Madness .. I now have an extra 2 croissants in the morning and an extra half chicken later... I'm not like Gary, I don't have a handy pie basket mounted on the handlebars in order to maintain a healthy calorific intake whilst out on the bike.

Funny you say about the wine .. I always thought that "French" Strava should monitor for particularly slow segment times and flag these as "RW" - for where an obvious mid segment red wine break has taken place.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Keep in mind that Beekeepers part time job is repairing inflatable "friends" and "farm animals" ... It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it, and the urgent call out rates are very profitable.

Like @Gary, I've put on weight since starting to emtb. About 3kg's. But for me that's increase in muscle mass on legs/glutes/shoulders/upper arms, just from using muscles I didn't normally use to the same extent or in the same way. I also eat way more after a ride as I'm starving, but then I'm a bit like a shrew and if I don't eat every 10 minutes, I'd probably die :)

Unfortunately my bees often get blamed for unruly wasp behaviour ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Madness .. I now have an extra 2 croissants in the morning and an extra half chicken later... I'm not like Gary, I don't have a handy pie basket mounted on the handlebars in order to maintain a healthy calorific intake whilst out on the bike.

Funny you say about the wine .. I always thought that "French" Strava should monitor for particularly slow segment times and flag these as "RW" - for where an obvious mid segment red wine break has taken place.

I try to lay off the honey ? but difficult when I’m always covered in the stuff

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My riding distance and frequency dropped when I got osteo-arthritis in my knees. Both have increased since the eBike and I'm a happy chappy. My weight has not changed because I weigh myself every morning and I eat/move about accordingly.

What has changed is that the muscles in my legs are not as pronounced.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah.. Don't be silly my sexy little secretary.
I had no intention of travelling hundreds of miles to spend MOAR on a second hand ESommet than Wiggle sold me a brand new one for a few months back. ;)
My PM was about something entirely different.
Sorry for not letting you know not to update my diary

xx

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
3kg of Muscle?

erm...

you sure about that Arnie?

Please, that's Mr Swarzy on the forum .. that is over 8 months, so not exactly a vast gain !

Nah.. Don't be silly my sexy little secretary.
I had no intention of travelling hundreds of miles to spend MOAR on a second hand ESommet than Wiggle sold me a brand new one for a few months back. ;)
My PM was about something entirely different.
Sorry for not letting you know not to update my diary

There's no point me sitting around here in a short skirt and doing my nails if I don't at least do something useful once in a while .. Anyway, I've just cleared your diary for yesterday incase you do decide you wanted to go after all.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
My numbers are very similar to yours, except for my e-bike average; it is 135-140 same as my running average.
I use a hr monitor when I ride and on the e-bike I use it’s assist as needed to keep my hr in the 125-150 zone.

So yeah, weight loss is more than possible, for me it’s fat loss, staying lean is my goal. E-bike is only the fun part of that equation, not eating like shit is the major part.

I hear what you say about not eating shIt! like they say about running.... you cant outrun a poor diet,(or outride one!)

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
I keep my heart rate in the

I do the same. Actually, I gain a lot more muscle on the e-MTB than my race full-suspension XC rig, as I keep assistance low in short climbs, meaning I have to push a lot harder to get the extra weight up the hill

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I lost 25 lbs in about 3 months and now have settled at about 152 lbs. I wasn't doing any regular cardiovascular work at all, before the bike, and now get 18 to 40 minutes of cardio 5 to 7 days a week.

I certainly am eating more, and trying to eat better.

My resting heart rate went from mid seventies to mid sixties over the same time frame.

I recently had blood work done and my sugar was normal for the first time in at least ten years.

For me the ebike has had a very positive impact on my health, and a very negative impact on my finances.

Last edited:

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
I lost 25 lbs in about 3 months and now have settled at about 152 lbs. I wasn't doing any regular cardiovascular work at all, before the bike, and now get 18 to 40 minutes of cardio 5 to 7 days a week.

My resting heart rate went from mid seventies to mid sixties over the same time frame.

I recently had blood work done and my sugar was normal for the first time in at least ten years.

For me the ebike has has very positive impact on my health, and a very negative impact on my finances.

Lol, and now you’ll likely have extra years to make those finances up and more?☮️

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
there's a health benefit from any form of excercise

Do E-bikes help you lose weight?
Yes. if you previously did LESS exercise
No. if you ditch riding normal bikes in favour of motor assitance.

I ride on average at least 10hrs a week (actual riding time). and pretty much always have done
At least half of those hours are now ridden using an Emtb.
In the first few months of riding emtb. I actually rode a little more but PUT ON WEIGHT (about a stone).
My diet hasn't changed. And that's the issue. I eat the same amount I have done for years but don't burn as many calories off as the motor is doing so much of the work I used to do myself.

If you put on a stone in just a few months but sorry buddy, you're either eating too much shit or too many calorie dense stews/casseroles/gravy laden dishes or your portion sizes are too big.

Plus ebikes can help you to ride further for longer.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire

For me the ebike has had a very positive impact on my health, and a very negative impact on my finances.

That’s brilliant news. Nice to see the benefits on your health

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
My eBike got me out riding significantly more, from 50-100km per month to 500km, and reignited my passion for MTB. I’ve not lost much weight but I’ve swapped a load of fat for muscle.

Due to the increase in riding my skills have also significantly improved and I’m now tackling features and lines all the time. (E)MTB is so fun ?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you put on a stone in just a few months but sorry buddy, you're either eating too much shit or too many calorie dense stews/casseroles/gravy laden dishes or your portion sizes are too big.

Plus ebikes can help you to ride further for longer.
Thanks Einstein.

How about you actually read what I typed before making aspersions on my exact diet?.. Maybe read more slowly...

Clue: what outcome will cutting exercise load but not calorie intake have? .

I don't ride Emtb longer or further than I rode regular bikes as they simply do not have the range. But even if they did I'd have to ride them a whole lot MOAR to burn the same amount of calories.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The long ride in the middle was actually 60% mowing the lawn. The fitbit thinks I'm riding the bike when I mow. Lol.
Essentially this is a typical week for me.

One or two loops around the property, everyday, rain or shine and the weight started falling off. I went to the Dr. because I feared my prediabetic state and finally switched into the real diabetes, and this was causing the sudden weight lose. It turns out regular exercise is simply good for you...

The thing about the ebike is, I want to ride it. It's no burden, requires very little special gear, and maintenance is only minutes a day,. A few miles of trail on my own farm is sufficient. I used to use dirtbikes to stay in shape, but as I aged... they became burdensome for more reasons than I care to mention here.

The ebike just seems to fill the void, nicely balancing fitness and fun. Also, the tech and nuances revolving around the emtb thing is fascinating. It's not necessary to learn all this shit, you can just go ride if that suits you... but for an old technology geek like me, it's a hoot.

Screenshot_20190907-095917_Fitbit.jpg

Ozbog

Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Dropped 10 kilos the first month with a change in diet. Went on the Michael Mosley 5 and 2 diet. Energy levels are through the roof. Ride eco majority of the times. But try and ride 30% faster to compensate for assist.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles