• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered How much weight do I need to lose?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I really wanted a Cube bike with a 625wh battery but in the end bought one with a 500wh.
I weigh 100kg. How much weight do I need to lose to get the same range from a 500wh battery as I would have got with the bigger battery?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Additional range could be achieved by your improved fitness, through simply riding, without the need of a bigger battery. Lots of factors can effect battery usage.

Anto Levo

Aug 28, 2019
Depends on your height as to what weight you should be. I was 15.5 stone 4 years ago an down to 10.5 now. But I cycle 170 - 200 km a week on a nukeproof mega. I use my emtb once a week or sometimes once a month as I use it for exploring mainly but I always use eco mode myself. I think building your fitness and legs helps greatly. I wouldn’t be overly thinking about the weight as much.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
How long is a piece of string?

Based on pure maths you would need to lose around 19kg as the 625 - 19% is 506.
Of course, it is not that simple and there are many variables. As you lose weight you will probably also find you put more input into your riding which will in turn give you added range.
I expect after dropping 10kg you will find you have exceeded your targeted range goal.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Well, for me, I need to lose 12-14kg because I'm getting fat and old and I know the weight where I feel like Superman. That's 12 kg away. I'd also increase my battery range. But only a tiny bit of that would be weight. Most of would be the extra fitness I gained getting to my ideal weight.

I could lose 20kg. People my height are that weight. But unless I'm trying to be an ultra endurance guy again that's not right for me and I'll actually have less fitness and power because I'll be starving myself to get there.

So I suggest you lose enough to get to where you feel great and just ride the bike.

Gordon

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Based on pure maths you would need to lose around 19kg as the 625 - 19% is 506.
For a power-to-weight calculation, you should include the full system weight, and I believe you're forgetting the weight of the bike itself and any pack. Based on that, I reckon - mathematically - the figure is likely circa 25kg.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post. Losing 25kg would likely entail losing muscle mass and consequent mandraulic power, so that's unlikely to be the answer.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
For a power-to-weight calculation, you should include the full system weight, and I believe you're forgetting the weight of the bike itself and any pack. Based on that, I reckon - mathematically - the figure is likely circa 25kg.
True enough - 25kg could be closer. Was not forgetting overall weight - just mentally calculating as I was leaving the bike weight as a static. Don't take packs into account as I don't use them and the other random is that the 625Wh battery is something like 800gms heavier than the 504Wh.

I figured the 10kg drop would be a good starting point as 10% of body weight. Worked as a trainer for 20 years and hate scaring people with too ambitious targets.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Your range will improve with your fitness, but losing weight would also help as the batteries make us all acutely aware of the power to weight ratio and the key variable of gradient. Compared to when I got my bike 9 months ago I am the same weight, but can get up shallower climbs with lower assist levels and higher gears. Sometimes I still just need lowest gear and Turbo to make it up 28% steeps, the difference is I recover quicker at the top than before. I'd agree with Rusty that 10% would be good weight loss target.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I really wanted a Cube bike with a 625wh battery but in the end bought one with a 500wh.
I weigh 100kg. How much weight do I need to lose to get the same range from a 500wh battery as I would have got with the bigger battery?

Maybe none ... there's the psychological side.. with the 625 you'd be thinking "wow, I've got a huge battery - no need to worry as it's more than the 500" .. so you'd probably abuse the higher assist modes more.

Depending where and how you're riding, you'll still be getting pretty good range with the 500.

For the first few weeks I wouldn't think about weight or range. Just get used to it. Ideally use the least assist modes where possible and treat yourself to the others when you need them or at times it's not pleasurable ! Just being out on the bike enjoying yourself will be increasing your metabolism. Maybe lay off the Mead after a ride ! :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't really get all the range anxiety here.
the other day I rode to work in the morning and straight rode out of town to meet friends for an evening ride and a few beers in the local hills. After the beers my battery ran out (had done 40 miles and about 3200ft ascent) so I just rode the 10 miles home on the road with the motor switched off. Other than the odd hill I was riding along above 16mph anyway.

I'm far from race fit these days and also a little overweight. (but I am strong) If you're able bodied and healthy and worried about range you're probably just not very fit or strong.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It doesn't help that Bosch are very disingenuous with their capacity claims.
The 500Wh battery is actually 482.4 (36v x 13.4Ah) and the 625Wh is actually 601.2Wh (36v x 16.7Ah)

1567271603870.png

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It doesn't help that Bosch are very disingenuous with their capacity claims.
The 500Wh battery is actually 482.4 (36v x 13.4Ah) and the 625Wh is actually 601.2Wh (36v x 16.7Ah)

View attachment 17832
Could it be that when battery is 100% charged, the voltage is higher than the nominal 36 volts? When looking at my fully charged Levo in Mission Control the indicated voltage is higher than nominal power.

Karsten

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Triple Post, yaaay! :D

Have a look at the plating label on your Levo, what does it say for voltage and capacity?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The main reason to lose weight is for your health not to increase range on a bike! That said the bike may act as a good barometer and incentive and indeed a method of achieving that weight loss...…….but score your weight loss as the result not range on the bike because there are too many other factors at play to guarantee any range increase will be proportionate to the weight loss.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles