• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Anybody losing weight on an e-mtb?

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
So I got the bike to recover from a hip fracture. Using eco mainly on trails.

Do we think there is much health benefit on e-bike?
49 years old
Resting heart rate 50
75kg
Heart rate running ave 145
Heart rate e-bike average 120

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
yes.

when I ride with my clockwork buddies I do as much as I can with the bike turned off or on super low assistance.

when I ride solo or with e-buddies I go full gas and treat the climbs as intervals.

slog climbs don't help with fitness (they just make you tired), intervals at HR max do and I'm sure burn more calories.

plus I'm riding more because I can get a meaningful ride in 60-90 minutes.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Thanks Einstein.

How about you actually read what I typed before making aspersions on my exact diet?.. Maybe read more slowly...

Clue: what outcome will cutting exercise load but not calorie intake have? .

I don't ride Emtb longer or further than I rode regular bikes as they simply do not have the range. But even if they did I'd have to ride them a whole lot MORE to burn the same amount of calories.

You put on a stone in a few months, so you're on target to put on 4 stone in a year!
Umm no, that ain't nothing to do with riding ebikes and everything to do with your diet.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for the heads up @Levo19 . although I'm honestly not sure I am the one being the biggest dick here.

I put on a stone when I first rode Emtb around 18 months ago
I haven't changed a single thing in my diet or calorie intake in that time.
I haven't gained any more weight since then as I then increased exercise load (and calorie consumption) elsewhere.

I honestly do think it takes a certain level of stupidity ("ignorance" might be a better word) to run around telling complete strangers what their diet is, how it is detremental to their weight and how Ebikes are the savior of weight gain.

Gianing or losing weight has a fairly simple solution.

to gain weight : Calories in > Calories out
to lose weight : Calories in < Calories out
to maintain weight : calories in = calories out

#RocketScience

Last edited:

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
peope aren't here to be insulted, I'm sure we've had this conversation before, your little green box does not give you the right to insult people, pull ya head in Gazza, let's all be friends, that's why we are here, I understand you get frustrated if peope don't agree with you, relax mate, breathe...

Maybe, but he didnt start it did he! It wasnt about agreeing with an opinion, he stated fact, and how his circumstances led to a weight gain (which it always would if not increasing the amount of riding) it didnt warrant the response it got.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
So I got the bike to recover from a hip fracture. Using eco mainly on trails.

Do we think there is much health benefit on e-bike?
49 years old
Resting heart rate 50
75kg
Heart rate running ave 145
Heart rate e-bike average 120

Yes, I’m still losing weight, very slowly now, on my eBike; I couldn’t ride my traditional bike anymore so was gaining weight. I burn about 400 Kcal per ride now as opposed to 1000 Kcal before I stopped riding, but I typically don’t eat during my ride; I used to. I also don’t eat as much after my ride so I think that I come about even.

The eBike is so much more fun though; I did a one-mile steep rocky climb this morning that I would have had to rest on even as a fit fifty-year-old a dozen ago. The climb wasn’t exactly a cruise but I was able to converse when I got to the top. Pure fun without horking up a lung or getting tunnel vision and enough energy left over after my ride to go on a walk with my wife.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i just googled and the fat burning zone is bs, apparently higher intensity burns fat better BUT this can be achieved with intervals. So the long low heart rate ride is not an efficient fat burner. Also to really burn the fat you should not load up on carbs/ gels, but i like sugar and caffeine so forget that

Al Bondigaz

Nov 12, 2018
UK, North-West
Funny you say about the wine .. I always thought that "French" Strava should monitor for particularly slow segment times and flag these as "RW" - for where an obvious mid segment red wine break has taken place.

I've entered various local MTB events or 'VTT Rando' in France over the years, normally arranged by local clubs and open to anyone who turns up and pays the 6 Euro fee. The course options are usually 15km, 30km or 45km.

Often they have theme, there was the Marrons Chauds et Vin VTT Rando (Hot Chestnuts and Wine) and then the Randos des Huîtres et Vin (Oysters and Wine). Your entry fee includes refreshments at the half way point and at the finish line.

This autumn will be the first time I'm entering on the Ebike. Last one I did about 50% were on eBikes.

Bikes and wine on a Sunday morning jaunt ... what could possibly go wrong?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
i just googled and the fat burning zone is bs, apparently higher intensity burns fat better BUT this can be achieved with intervals. So the long low heart rate ride is not an efficient fat burner. Also to really burn the fat you should not load up on carbs/ gels, but i like sugar and caffeine so forget that

Don't think its BS as much as its not totally binary between the 2. Its best to do a mix of both..

Also totally depends on what your goal is and what you body type is. I eat lots of carbs but it works for me, I can keep my weight pretty steady. Ive tried to not eat carbs and my body responds terribly.. just zero energy, same with high carb low fat(vegan), tried that too also felt terrible.

Think the long window of eating helps too.. at least for me.. I eat dinner by 5pm and don't eat until about 9am next day.

Most important thing to do is pay attention to how a particular food makes you feel, also not a bad idea to try and abstain from one thing for a few weeks and see, basically you have to experiment.

another strange thing I have found for myself is that caffeine after 10am will make me lose athletic ability. If I have an espresso and go for a ride I suffer very low energy on trail, counter intuitive but true for me.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Don't think its BS as much as its not totally binary between the 2. Its best to do a mix of both..

Also totally depends on what your goal is and what you body type is. I eat lots of carbs but it works for me, I can keep my weight pretty steady. Ive tried to not eat carbs and my body responds terribly.. just zero energy, same with high carb low fat(vegan), tried that too also felt terrible.

Think the long window of eating helps too.. at least for me.. I eat dinner by 5pm and don't eat until about 9am next day.

Most important thing to do is pay attention to how a particular food makes you feel, also not a bad idea to try and abstain from one thing for a few weeks and see, basically you have to experiment.

another strange thing I have found for myself is that caffeine after 10am will make me lose athletic ability. If I have an espresso and go for a ride I suffer very low energy on trail, counter intuitive but true for me.

I did Keto a few years back, lost 19.5kg in 12 weeks, that shit works but hard to sustain over the long term.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Did you bounce back up - or maintain somewhere near your lower weight?

I gained around 6kg back but that was without any control in my diet, too much wine and hot chips :ROFLMAO:. I've lost it again though by just controlling my diet now, albeit still a reasonably low carb diet.

I'm fairly active, was a fairly serious bodybuilder in my younger days so I still hit the gym 3 times a week and mtb another 3 times per week. Weighing a sweet 79.95kg atm, 56 years old. I still retain quite a bit of strength and muscle.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Cool. Have 26" thighs and 18" calves from my teen days of 4" suspension travel MX bikes and 600lb leg presses .... plus 40 years of too much indulgence so sitting at 110-112kegs. Haven't been below 100 since I was playing soccer in my 20's and would like to go that way once more.
Thinking my diet of much pasta could go out the window for a period on Keto.
Usually when my ex wife dieted I did also to help her but always bounced back to around my starting weight.
Oh yer - was a chef for 20 years and tasted pretty much everything I made.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I'm 57 and tried the 5-2 Diet (on TV with Dr Michael Mosley) after a 6 week holiday in Europe with the family and eating out 3 times a day plus far too much grog, was around 78kgs when I left and came back touching 86kgs.
After about 3 months on the diet of basically crispy skin salmon and as much salad as you want for 2 days a week and what ever you fancy for the other 5 days I found myself at 75kgs. Pretty happy with that, and now with a bit of gym 2-3 days a week and ebiking 2-3 days a week it seems to be staying that way, happy days.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I'm 57 and tried the 5-2 Diet (on TV with Dr Michael Mosley) after a 6 week holiday in Europe with the family and eating out 3 times a day plus far too much grog, was around 78kgs when I left and came back touching 86kgs.
After about 3 months on the diet of basically crispy skin salmon and as much salad as you want for 2 days a week and what ever you fancy for the other 5 days I found myself at 75kgs. Pretty happy with that, and now with a bit of gym 2-3 days a week and ebiking 2-3 days a week it seems to be staying that way, happy days.

I've just done about 8 weeks of the 5-2 diet, seems to work well although I have backed off my wine and introduced a few alcohol free days.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Yeah with you there as well, get paid fortnightly so only doing alcohol on the weekend I get paid, to tell the truth, not really missing it that much and you feel so much better getting up early for a ride before it gets too hot.
Not sure what I will do once summer really kicks in, it gets light here at 4.30am with us having no daylight savings, so thinking it will be the time to ride. Just wondering if I can do it that early, time will tell.

Bariset

Aug 24, 2021
UK
No, it's tough to lose weight with the help of a bicycle. I thought it would be much easier, but I wanted to get off the bike immediately after half an hour of riding. Therefore, I decided to use safe supplements made from natural products that promote rapid weight loss. I found this product on the platform www.healthcanal.com/supplements/262481-instant-knockout-reviews.html. And since the formula also lacks proprietary blends, it is also a safe option for vegans. In addition, thanks to caffeine, you will feel refreshed and will be able to recharge your energy for the whole day.

Last edited:

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Emtb (autocorrect changed this to meth initially which is even better for weight loss:) are actually better for loosing weight as they keep you in the lower fat burning zone.

check out this vid and read comments, jkw talks about it.

I've found this anecdotally myself as well. And I think for older guys, late 40's onward it's actually a healthier work out vs Mtb as you are not nuking your heart every ride. Lots of cardiac issues in Mtb community unfortunately.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I went from 90kg to 82kg in the first 3 months of riding, now I have settled around 85kg but hope to shift more next year :)

I have noticed lower resting heart rate at around 55 from 64.

I think a lot comes down to what mode you have the motor in, I try and keep in Eco on flat and down hill but I have to admit I do prefer tour for everything else and do sometimes like Turbo or hard climbs if I am feeling tired or in a lazy mood and out purely to do gravity fed stuff.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I went from 90kg to 82kg in the first 3 months of riding, now I have settled around 85kg but hope to shift more next year :)

I have noticed lower resting heart rate at around 55 from 64.

I think a lot comes down to what mode you have the motor in, I try and keep in Eco on flat and down hill but I have to admit I do prefer tour for everything else and do sometimes like Turbo or hard climbs if I am feeling tired or in a lazy mood and out purely to do gravity fed stuff.

I have yt decoy e8000 and I gave up on modes.. I just keep it in trail, I don't notice any difference in range if i use eco on flats etc, obviously if you ride in eco everywhere it will make a difference but I found leaving it in trail and rarely using boost or eco is as efficient as cycling through power modes.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I have yt decoy e8000 and I gave up on modes.. I just keep it in trail, I don't notice any difference in range if i use eco on flats etc, obviously if you ride in eco everywhere it will make a difference but I found leaving it in trail and rarely using boost or eco is as efficient as cycling through power modes.
I agree :), But I do like the extra assistance when steep push ups are what I am hitting all day to do the DH stuff, I also have to admit I never feel guilty taking over people but always do it respectfully :)

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I agree :), But I do like the extra assistance when steep push ups are what I am hitting all day to do the DH stuff, I also have to admit I never feel guilty taking over people but always do it respectfully :)

a little off topic but... at least on e8000 trail mode set to high is almost equal to boost when in high enough cadence.. I still switch to boost here and there, my point was I used to use eco to "save" battery and I just don't see that much difference in you are only using it for downhill, for flat sections etc..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles