All New 2023 Orbea Wild

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Large M20 with pedals weighs 24.42 kg(!) according to this youtube video:

View attachment 104732
yeah that is pretty interesting, i wonder if those marketing claimed weights are bunch of nonsense.

getting the weight of a full fat down to 45 pounds with decent tires and a hot swappable battery, i think that is the holy grail. i thought they were close minus the swappable battery but now im not so sure.

at that weight you should be able to have a nice durable aluminum frame that you dont have to worry about. whats the point of carbon if it weighs that much

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
yeah that is pretty interesting, i wonder if those marketing claimed weights are bunch of nonsense.

getting the weight of a full fat down to 45 pounds with decent tires and a hot swappable battery, i think that is the holy grail. i thought they were close minus the swappable battery but now im not so sure.

at that weight you should be able to have a nice durable aluminum frame that you dont have to worry about. whats the point of carbon if it weighs that much

Didn’t Rob himself weigh a M-Ltd with race motor and 625wh battery with EXO+ tires and without pedals and it came in at 20.80kg for a large?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

It's the bottom of the range carbon model, so has heavy parts ( eg rockshox gold 35 fork,alu bars,ALU cranks,heavy cassette and wheels,heavy saddle etc etc), I don't doubt that the mltd comes in at the claimed (light) weight, but it just shows that if you want light you have to pay for it.

My 2020 wild fs mteam with the parts from that M20 would probably weigh 25kg,so I would guess the new frame on this model is 1kg lighter than the old model

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
Didn’t Rob himself weigh a M-Ltd with race motor and 625wh battery with EXO+ tires and without pedals and it came in at 20.80kg for a large?
He did.
That matches a lot of other early tests/"quick reviews"

Here's an article with a picture as well:

20_9.png

So lets say 20.9 for the M-Ltd and then 24.42 for the M20. That's a 3.52 difference. In order to keep it simple, lets assume heavy pedals in the video i posted earlier: 520 grams, so were left with a 3 kilo difference.

Rough estimates:

625Wh VS 750Wh Battery: 900
Race Motor: 150
Groupset: 275
Cranks: 150
Saddle: 100
Suspension: 275 ish more for Ltd

So VERY roughly that's 1300 grams, leaving 1700 for bars, stem and wheels ??? That cant be right, can it? Am i missing something big ?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
He did.

View attachment 104898

So lets say 20.9 for the M-Ltd and then 24.42 for the M20. That's a 3.52 difference. In order to keep it simple, lets assume heavy pedals in the video i posted earlier: 520 grams, so were left with a 3 kilo difference.

Rough estimates:

So VERY roughly that's 1300 grams, leaving 1700 for bars, stem and wheels ??? That cant be right, can it? Am i missing something big ?
My M20 Rise rear Shimano hub was 480g just for the hub!! I have a pair of hubs that weigh 360g

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
He did.

View attachment 104898

Rough estimates:

Bars,wheels, cassette, cranks ,brakes,saddle,derailuer and shifter,possibly seatpost. It all adds up. I reckon that's about right. It's what you're paying for when you get the top end model - every component has been carefully considered for weight and performance.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
All this talk about possible weight really annoys me.

Potential customers should not have to speculate or guess the weight - it should be a published specification just like all those dimensions down to the mm.

This is not just Orbea - nobody seems to publish weight but, since this a Wild thread, looking at their web site I see lots of boasting about lower weight e.g. Leave heavy, numb e-bikes behind and free your Wild but the only weight I can find is vague marketing speak of From 20,9 kg.

Call me cynical but that suggests that they weighed the lightest ( most expensive) in size Small with 625 battery and got 20.9 Kg

This also means they do actually own a scale!

How about weighing each model/size at the factory and just publishing the answer along with all those dimensional measurements.
How hard could it be - 30 minute job?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Potential customers should not have to speculate or guess the weight - it should be a published specification just like all those dimensions down to the mm.

This is not just Orbea - nobody seems to publish weight but, since this a Wild thread, looking at their web site I see lots of boasting about lower weight e.g. Leave heavy, numb e-bikes behind and free your Wild but the only weight I can find is vague marketing speak of From 20,9 kg.

Call me cynical but that suggests that they weighed the lightest ( most expensive) in size Small with 625 battery and got 20.9 Kg

How about weighing each model/size at the factory and just publishing the answer along with all those dimensional measurements.
Agree ,if they are going to use the bikes light weight as a marketing point then they should lists the weights of every model individually

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Let’s go back to the Rise and wasn’t the marketing hype weight just under 37 lbs. When in reality the real weight of the M10 with proper Ebike parts, XT brakes, Fox 36, DPX2, ect. is almost 41 pounds(no pedals)depending on tire/ wheel selection. So, we’re talking a good 4 pounds above the marketing hype weight.

Let’s hope the weight difference isn’t this much of a difference down to the M10 Wild.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
One thing that’s not vague marketing speak is Orbea lightening the frame by 900grams. And that’s all thanks to going away from the battery locking mechanism, which is heavy as hell….lol

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
No ones saying you can't mullet a Wild.
I've done plenty of mixed wheels size bikes from way back before it was popular. They usually had pretty significant compromises after the change. Now I'd much rather the bike be designed to maintain it's geometry with mixed wheels. The only option would be to buy a spring shock and install a custom eyelet to extend the shock body length.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
A bit off topic but Trek is one brand who publishes weights for all models on its website in Medium size. I know Commencal does too but in Small.

Just checked Trek's site and you are right. I stand corrected.

Good for Trek for publishing weights.
Its still a shame this not the norm for all manufacturers.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA

No kidding. How is it that Orbea could be 4lbs off the Rise from "claimed weights". Why in the hell can't they just publish the weights as they ship from the factory. Take the average from 10 of the same models? I'm guessing a GX axs part won't vary that much from part to part?? You have the specs from your build sheet, now just be honest.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Got to see this bike in person today at my LBS here in Phoenix. First one in here. M20. Looks sweet!

View attachment 105823 View attachment 105824
I love my Rise, but have to say Bosch is about 5 years behind Specialized as for the controller unit. Albeit an huge improvement over the left handlebar unit which is embarrassing. Common Bosch, and this will be around since it's new. Ugh. OH, Shimano is not far behind. Just goes to show that Specialized got it right. These guys are playing catch up.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I love my Rise, but have to say Bosch is about 5 years behind Specialized as for the controller unit. Albeit an huge improvement over the left handlebar unit which is embarrassing. Common Bosch, and this will be around since it's new. Ugh. OH, Shimano is not far behind. Just goes to show that Specialized got it right. These guys are playing catch up.
I currently ride a 2020 Levo. I like the clean cockpit and display. I have to say that the bluetooth switch module on the Orbea has a nice snap to it, and I think will be more user friendly than the Spesh one. At first look, I think the visual mode light on the Orbea will be easier to read at a glance than the three-segment Spesh one. Have not seen this one in bright sunlight yet.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
No kidding. How is it that Orbea could be 4lbs off the Rise from "claimed weights". Why in the hell can't they just publish the weights as they ship from the factory. Take the average from 10 of the same models? I'm guessing a GX axs part won't vary that much from part to part?? You have the specs from your build sheet, now
Got to see this bike in person today at my LBS here in Phoenix. First one in here. M20. Looks sweet!

Size small. 750 battery
53 lbs. 24.1 kg

View attachment 105823 View attachment 105824
53lbs….Huuuuh! Looks like I made the right decision now after putting a deposit down yesterday on a Levo Expert at 30% off.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
53lbs….Huuuuh! Looks like I made the right decision now after putting a deposit down yesterday on a Levo Expert at 30% off.

Less travel, smaller battery and a motor with a terrible track record for reliability. I'm not sure I see how a Levo is better than the new Wild. But hey, to each their own right.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Some info that was requested on my YouTube that might be useful, answers direct from Orbea:

- Can run mullet?
You can, but we don´t recommend it. The geometry is not designed to run mullet and BB will be too low. The 29" rear wheel offers maximum traction which is important for a full power ebike. Many manufacturers use a 27" rear wheel to allow them to offer shorter chainstays, however with WILD we have managed to offer shorter chainstays and the great traction of a 29" rear wheel.

- What is the weight of aluminium frame or weight difference between carbon and alu frame?
Carbon is 2758 g. Alu frame is 4300 gr.

- Would be curious if this works better with a coil than the last platform?
The Wild has progressive kinematic curve with enough progressivity to have a optimal performance also with a coil shock. The leverage ratio curve is almost an straight line, this assures to have an intuitive suspension performance when we are running coil shocks.

- Is the alu version stronger then the last model? Seat stay, chain stay and seat tube. All at the welded joints.
On the new Hydro version we had identified the issues we had on the previous Wild generation and we make the new Wild stronger. The seat tube for example now is done in one piece without any weld, the chainstay design is also different to make it stronger.

- When will the size XXL with 540mm Reach available? :)
On this new model we have increased one size. Depending on the feedback and the demmand of the market we will think about it. Anyway, it´s not on our plans now.

- How much the M-ltd weighs with a 750w battery?
20.9kg with 625Wh battery and 21.7kg with 750Wh battery

- Weight of the M10?
23kg

- Weight on the cheaper models?
The Hydro / Alloy models stop the scale under 25kg

Leverage Curve:
Unknown.png

RobbieF

Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
On Wednesday I ordered an H10 2023, as their website said it was available this week:

1676627174660.png

Annoyingly my confirmed order now has this date from the Orbea Webiste:

1676627223099.png

GGGrrrr.................

Now that I'm pretty sure we can't trust any dates on their website, are there any industry people who know when these bikes might actually start appearing on mass?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles