All New 2023 Orbea Wild

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I have 3 sets of Berd spoked wheels. Berds are not approved for ebikes however.

They save about 90 grams per 29" wheelset as I recall.

My ebike will reuse a Berd laced front wheel I have on my SJEvo currently and a steel spoked 27.5" rear wheel I'm having laced up as we speak.

I like my Berd spokes, but they can move/ flex a lot as they get stretched imo and I have been leaning towards only using them for front wheels moving forward even before ebikes.

I hope to increase my bike range by at least 50%. So I need about 28 miles or so. I'll probably run in the middle setting as the tires I intend to run will likely make the 'Breeze' (lowest setting on the F60) quite slow. I'm a well above average climber both in terms of fitness and technique currently on my bike.

Scroll to the very bottom.

All they say is you can’t use them with hub drive motors and motors larger than 500W.,

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Guess I misunderstood Berd's requirements.

That said, I've been on Berd's since they were released and they do introduce a fair bit of flex in to the wheel system, especially once they get a couple of years on them.

I'd buy them again for my 26# Spur Downcountry trail bike. I'd buy them again for my wife's 26# 27.5" All Mountain bike as she is light and just trail rides, plus 27.5" wheels tend to feel harsh ime and the Berds really help with this. However on the rear of an enduro e-bike, I won't run them personally. Especially if you ride where there is actual traction and berms as these conditions introduce more side loading which causes the Berd wheels to flex, ime.

When discussing the weight and comparing e-bikes, I think you have to consider the power and overall weight of the bike. There is a thread right now on this forum where a guy keeps killing rear cassettes on his e-bike. Think he said 3 in 8 months. So the obvious current solution is to run the Linkglide 10-11 drivetrain, which adds about a pound over the SRAM 11 speed I'll run. This continues throughout the bike. Forks, brakes, wheels, tires, and battery size should all be increased proportionally to the additional weight, power & speed that a Bosch race motor achieves (the race motor is the Wild weight example that was given).

FFM

Feb 27, 2023
Germany
My LTD is now ready to pick up. But Orbea send it with the wrong wheel set, ordered with the Oquo MC LTD, but they send with the old wheel set of the previous WILD FS LTD - very disappointed, there was also no communication about that. Only in the beginning that they have to shift the delivery because the Oquo wheel set is not ready :sneaky:

RickS

Sep 30, 2018
Wrexham
My LTD is now ready to pick up. But Orbea send it with the wrong wheel set, ordered with the Oquo MC LTD, but they send with the old wheel set of the previous WILD FS LTD - very disappointed, there was also no communication about that. Only in the beginning that they have to shift the delivery because the Oquo wheel set is not ready :sneaky:
When did you order, as I have one on order too.

FFM

Feb 27, 2023
Germany
Back in November 22

First date was end of January, the mid of February, the 3rd date was mid April. When I ordered it, the delivery date was end of February

RickS

Sep 30, 2018
Wrexham
Back in November 22

First date was end of January, the mid of February, the 3rd date was mid April. When I ordered it, the delivery date was end of February
Dont look good for me then, mine is arriving on 24th this month so they said.

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
Hopefully as you ordered :sneaky: :sneaky:
My shop had the factory spec the alloy wheel so that my bike could ship. Seems the carbon wheels are the major hold up. My bike *should* arrive this week.
I’m working with an excellent shop owner and he is swapping out the alloy wheels with WR1 on Onyx hubs at the same cost (to me) as the stock carbon hoops.
Orbea def needs to improve their communication.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
hi,
does anybody know the weight of the Race Face AR 30c and/or the OQUO Mountain Control alu wheelset?
Orbea MC32 Team...dunno about RF
Screenshot_20230412-194621_Gmail.jpg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
My shop had the factory spec the alloy wheel so that my bike could ship. Seems the carbon wheels are the major hold up. My bike *should* arrive this week.
I’m working with an excellent shop owner and he is swapping out the alloy wheels with WR1 on Onyx hubs at the same cost (to me) as the stock carbon hoops.
Orbea def needs to improve their communication.

Those are better wheels anyways and if you’re getting them at no additional cost that’s a definite win for you.

pietro

Jan 4, 2019
Itlay
What do you prefer about it, and which Levo did you have (model + year)?
I had a levo comp carbon 2019 (full 29") with coil front and back. The Wild is noticeably nimbler and precise. Really great on the chunky alp trails. It is also easier to control when pedalling seated up on technical trails.

The motor response to the pedal input it’s so much better than the brose, you feel in control.

The odds are:

Motor noise under load, but unfortunately also when descending on the rough.

The remote control is too sensitive and you don’t feel the click and with no “beep” it gets tricky, and I find myself always looking down at the display.

The Wild isn’t as plush

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
Thanks @pietro :) I turned down a used 2022 Levo Pro this week because I got cold feet about the reliability of the Brose motors. Now I’m back to eyeing out the 2023 Wild so it was interesting to hear your thoughts.

D

Deleted member 7401

Thanks @pietro :) I turned down a used 2022 Levo Pro this week because I got cold feet about the reliability of the Brose motors. Now I’m back to eyeing out the 2023 Wild so it was interesting to hear your thoughts.

Don’t get cold feet. The Brose is still better up and especially back down the mountain. As long as you have some warranty I would not even sweat the purchase.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Don’t get cold feet. The Brose is still better up and especially back down the mountain. As long as you have some warranty I would not even sweat the purchase.

Brose is better than Bosch up and down the mountain?.....lol

Not a chance, the only people that think that are probably still owners of Specialized bikes with Brose motors....lol

Sorry but I know too many that have switches from Brose to Bosch and have said they'd never go back. Regardless of what brand of bike the Bosch motor was in.

But that’s also the beauty of the internet, we can both agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have used both motors. The biggest difference is between trail mode on the Brose and emtb on the Bosch.......and they are the modes most likely used the most offroad. Both can be tuned using the MC or Flow apps but in general emtb on the Bosch needs a higher cadence to produce similar motor assist to the Brose trail mode. (that is with trail mode set at 50% pedal assist and 100% max and emtb as standard). Turn up emtb to +3 in the flow app and they become very similar though. Both my current bikes are Bosch powered....one gen 2 and the other Bosch gen 3/Smart system. I cannot alter emtb on the gen 2 bike and have the Smart system bike tuned up to +3 so have a good comparison how that effects the ride. I had a Levo previously and still remember the response of the Brose.

D

Deleted member 7401

Brose is better than Bosch up and down the mountain?.....lol

Not a chance, the only people that think that are probably still owners of Specialized bikes with Brose motors....lol

Sorry but I know too many that have switches from Brose to Bosch and have said they'd never go back. Regardless of what brand of bike the Bosch motor was in.

But that’s also the beauty of the internet, we can both agree to disagree.

Just an honest opinion from someone that had a Rail, then a Decoy, and now a Levo. Bummed it took me three purchases to get it right. I did have the first gen rail so maybe Bosch has made progress since…but the Brose and Levo are the best for me out of the 3. I also have not had a single failure many Brose customers can speak on…but they also have the best dealer network and warranty…so I am not even worried if/when that time comes.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
I will be buying a new bike soon and both Wild and Levo are on my shortlist.
But, I intend to keep my chosen bike for many years so the long-term reliability of the motor (past warranty) is important too.
Having a great dealer network with next day motor replacement(s) for the first two years is nice and convenient but that is not enough - I want a motor that will last way longer than 2 years of British weather. I do like the Levo but have serious doubts about the Brose motor.

Last edited:

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
I will be buying a new bike soon and both Wild and Levo are on my shortlist.
But, I intend to keep my chosen bike for many years so the long-term reliability of the motor (past warranty) is important too.
Having a great dealer network with next day motor replacement(s) for the first two years is nice and convenient but that is not enough - I want a motor that will last way longer than 2 years of British weather. I do like the Levo but have serious doubts about the Brose motor.
It sucks to have to pay to fix a design flaw, but ebike motor center can upgrade the Brose to be more resilient: Brose Motor Upgrade Service - eBike Motor Centre (Performance Line Bearings)

pietro

Jan 4, 2019
Itlay
On my levo there wasn't a single eletronic component that didn't brake, a part from control. Last one was the battery (out of warranty). Beside that the wild rides much better, I'm never going to buy a specialized ever again.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I have used both motors. The biggest difference is between trail mode on the Brose and emtb on the Bosch.......and they are the modes most likely used the most offroad. Both can be tuned using the MC or Flow apps but in general emtb on the Bosch needs a higher cadence to produce similar motor assist to the Brose trail mode. (that is with trail mode set at 50% pedal assist and 100% max and emtb as standard). Turn up emtb to +3 in the flow app and they become very similar though. Both my current bikes are Bosch powered....one gen 2 and the other Bosch gen 3/Smart system. I cannot alter emtb on the gen 2 bike and have the Smart system bike tuned up to +3 so have a good comparison how that effects the ride. I had a Levo previously and still remember the response of the Brose.
I can agree here. I'm coming off a 2020 Levo Comp to a 2023 M10 Wild. I rode mostly Trail (50%-100%) on my Levo. Now ride mostly EMTB set at 3-5 and TOUR+ set at 2-5 when on milder trails. I agree the Bosch likes a little higher cadence and I'm typically one that doesn't like to spin fast. I transitioned to the Bosch easily. Am I spinning much faster? I don't think so, but possibly a little. EMTB feels really good and natural to me.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I had a levo comp carbon 2019 (full 29") with coil front and back. The Wild is noticeably nimbler and precise. Really great on the chunky alp trails. It is also easier to control when pedalling seated up on technical trails.

The motor response to the pedal input it’s so much better than the brose, you feel in control.

The odds are:

Motor noise under load, but unfortunately also when descending on the rough.

The remote control is too sensitive and you don’t feel the click and with no “beep” it gets tricky, and I find myself always looking down at the display.

The Wild isn’t as plush
My 2020 Levo ran Lyrik (with Push coil) and Ohlins coil shock. Now running M10 Wild with Fox 38 and Ohlins coil. The Wild to me feels "bulkier" compared to the Levo I came off of. However, that sensation is fading more and more as I ride it. With the longer wheelbase, slacker HA, and heavier fork it takes a bit more steering input from my arms to turn the bike. Not a negative, just something I had to get used to. Bike is definitely more stable than my Levo was. I felt good at climbing with the Levo. I think the Wild climbs better overall, but I need more seat time on it.

Brose Trail and Bosch EMTB both work very well IMHO, but I give the edge to the new EMTB mode.

Bosch makes similar level motor noise to my Levo I think. I don't find it annoying nor do I hear the Bosch chatter people report.

I do think the Bosch motor has a little more forward engagement slack than the Brose. It feels like I rotate the pedals further coming back on the power when I'm re-engaging the motor drive.

I really like the remote and I find the click fairly positive. A beep would be nice. Display visibility is superior to my 2020 Levo.
One thing....I do find sometimes when stopping for a break, I sometimes lean my arm over the bars and inadvertently click the remote to a different power level.

My Wild currenly isn't as "plush" as my Levo was but I'm still playing with the suspension.

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
second day on the Wild today. Suspension still not broken in but feels good. I’ll have to drop a few psi front and back from Fox suggested settings.
Brakes are getting better and feel awesome. Big stopping power out of those 203 mm Galfer rotors.
I’m very impressed with the motor. It does take some cadence, but I tend to be a spinner so it suits me well.
I’ll be tinkering in the garage tonight as I’m swapping out the stock saddle for my preferred Ergon SM. Also want to start fine tuning with the app.
Awesome bike and couldn’t be happier with my choice.
Super confident in steep and chunky. Climbing is surreal.

OZ-E

Jun 21, 2021
Australia
Only a couple of rides on my M-Team 2023 so far but here are my initial thoughts.
Size
Is it just me or are the Orbea sizes way too small? I'm 176cm and fit well within the Medium on their chart but it feels very short both seated and standing.

Motor noise
The Bosh in the carbon frame is crazy loud. At least 3 times louder than in my previous alloy bike.

Suspension Set up
The Fox factory fork feels much harsher off the top than my previous performance fork. I guess I will try a touch less air and see if it settles in a bit better.

Brakes
The XT brake cooling fins rattle constantly. Will be looking to change that somehow.

Wheel tyre combo
These feel a little under done to me. Feels like I am concentrating on protecting the rims the whole time. The standard model comes with 2.6 but when you choose the Assegai in a custom build it strangely drop down to 2.4.
I will be swapping to 2.6 and see how it goes.

Ride and feel
Rides very agile and nimble. Easy to manoeuvre and get off the ground. Does get thrown around and breaks traction a lot more than my Mondraker Crafty.
Feels fast out of corners but still slower times than my Crafty.
The bars are too crazy wide for our tree lined trails so will be cutting them down soon. They say they are 800 but with grips measured at 820mm.

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
Only a couple of rides on my M-Team 2023 so far but here are my initial thoughts.
Size
Is it just me or are the Orbea sizes way too small? I'm 176cm and fit well within the Medium on their chart but it feels very short both seated and standing.

Motor noise
The Bosh in the carbon frame is crazy loud. At least 3 times louder than in my previous alloy bike.

Suspension Set up
The Fox factory fork feels much harsher off the top than my previous performance fork. I guess I will try a touch less air and see if it settles in a bit better.

Brakes
The XT brake cooling fins rattle constantly. Will be looking to change that somehow.

Wheel tyre combo
These feel a little under done to me. Feels like I am concentrating on protecting the rims the whole time. The standard model comes with 2.6 but when you choose the Assegai in a custom build it strangely drop down to 2.4.
I will be swapping to 2.6 and see how it goes.

Ride and feel
Rides very agile and nimble. Easy to manoeuvre and get off the ground. Does get thrown around and breaks traction a lot more than my Mondraker Crafty.
Feels fast out of corners but still slower times than my Crafty.
The bars are too crazy wide for our tree lined trails so will be cutting them down soon. They say they are 800 but with grips measured at 820mm.
Please post pics. This thread needs a lot more! It helps us poor souls who are still waiting for our deliveries (probably makes waiting worse, but whatever...) :p

The motor noise does sound very concerning.
Are you referring to the "normal" noise or rattling? (or both)

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
Please post pics. This thread needs a lot more! It helps us poor souls who are still waiting for our deliveries (probably makes waiting worse, but whatever...) :p

The motor noise does sound very concerning.
Are you referring to the "normal" noise or rattling? (or both)
I don’t find it that loud. Kind of what I expected. Sounds like an RC car lol.
Bike is awesome! Stop worrying.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles