All New 2023 Orbea Wild

pietro

Jan 4, 2019
Itlay
Today first qiuck ride on it. It's a fantastic bike, so much better then the levo I had before.

wild.jpg

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Has anyone with a custom MyO Wild personalised the frame on the seat stay area? The option is there to add a small amount of lettering so let's here em....

I went with "RIDE THE LIGHTNING"

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Has anyone with a custom MyO Wild personalised the frame on the seat stay area? The option is there to add a small amount of lettering so let's here em....

I went with "RIDE THE LIGHTNING"
“TIME FOR A WILD RIDE” on mine….

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Seems ebike company's are doing what
car company's do with mileage claims . Total bullsh!t .

In a way I'm almost glad that the Wild's real-world weight is about 50-52#s, just because it makes the bike, I have a deposit on (a Relay) much more relevant in that there IS a large spread in weight to justify the reduced power.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
In a way I'm almost glad that the Wild's real-world weight is about 50-52#s, just because it makes the bike, I have a deposit on (a Relay) much more relevant in that there IS a large spread in weight to justify the reduced power.
You say that now, but no one has really built up a Relay and shown what those weigh with DH tires and pedals and a coil shock on it.....lol

We sell both Orbea and Transition at the shop I work at, I can't wait to see both bikes in person and see the build qualities of both.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I'm a Weight Weenie trail rider but ride very technical trails, with decent jumps, drops, etc.

Pretty certain I'll be able to get my XL Relay to under 43#s ready to ride just because of my carbon Mullet wheels, air shock, TS brakes, 11 speed drivetrain, bit lighter 200mm KS Lev dropper. It'll have 1250 gram tires AND inserts however.

In the end there is not 'goal' weight, it simply weighs what it weighs after I put my preferrred parts on it. I'd go heavier tires on a Full Fat, but not on a mid. I mean it only weighs 10#s more than my trail bike.

Still, my Relay is going to be about 12 #s lighter than the Wild with my preferred tires, and that's enough to matter.

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
Does anyone know the weight difference between the two battery sizes available for the Wild?
In a way I'm almost glad that the Wild's real-world weight is about 50-52#s, just because it makes the bike, I have a deposit on (a Relay) much more relevant in that there IS a large spread in weight to justify the reduced
Oh yeah I forgot, is that your bike?

I see that Transition now has a weight listed on their site for that model. But they are showing a medium is 45.5lbs without pedals.
With shop floor tissue tires…

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I'm a Weight Weenie trail rider but ride very technical trails, with decent jumps, drops, etc.

Pretty certain I'll be able to get my XL Relay to under 43#s ready to ride just because of my carbon Mullet wheels, air shock, TS brakes, 11 speed drivetrain, bit lighter 200mm KS Lev dropper. It'll have 1250 gram tires AND inserts however.

In the end there is not 'goal' weight, it simply weighs what it weighs after I put my preferrred parts on it. I'd go heavier tires on a Full Fat, but not on a mid. I mean it only weighs 10#s more than my trail bike.

Still, my Relay is going to be about 12 #s lighter than the Wild with my preferred tires, and that's enough to matter.
12lbs lighter than a Wild? I assume you mean a 750wh battery Wild?

BermJunky

Mar 13, 2023
Nanaimo, BC
Hahaha I meant to type ‘shop floor tissue paper tires’.
Not dissing the Relay as I think it will be an awesome bike. After all is said and done maybe a 5 lb weight difference, is my guess.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Hahaha I meant to type ‘shop floor tissue paper tires’.
Not dissing the Relay as I think it will be an awesome bike. After all is said and done maybe a 5 lb weight difference, is my guess.
Totally agree, both the Relay and new Wild have a really light frame. The weight is in the motor and battery, and really mostly just the battery.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
With shop floor tissue tires…
Front MM 29er ST is 1154 grams & the rear BB ST is 1206 grams. Not the heaviest but certainly not 'tissue tires'.

Certainly some guys go heavier but I do fine with 1000 gram tires on my pedal bike and am going to run Super Trails with full inserts on my Relay.

It's true that the frames essentially weigh the same (heck the Wild very well might have a lighter frame), there is a bit more weight in the Bosch motor, 3.2 vs. 2.3/ 2 #s.

The rest is battery size and build out.

If I was going FF I'd run DH tires because the bike is so heavy and it has so much power. I'd also consider a dual crown fork. But in a mid power I'm aiming to stay light to better utilize the small motor.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
12lbs lighter than a Wild? I assume you mean a 750wh battery Wild?

What's the lightest 625 watt Wild in a L/ XL out there with a heavy enduro build? All the ones I'm seeing are 51+ #s.Larger motor certainly needs more battery power.

FF e-bikes can run into things with a lot more force than a normal bike, that has to accounted for in the build.

If I lived in the mountains with mostly 1 way trails, I'd buy a Wild for certain. It's just not the correct tool for the job where I live.

Anyways, using that above posted Relay weight as a starting point I get 43.6#s as the weight of my Relay build. Just googled the weight of the parts on that one vs. what i'll be running. Sounds about right.

Could probably build the new Levo SL to 42#s with the bit smaller reported built in battery.

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
What's the lightest 625 watt Wild in a L/ XL out there with a heavy enduro build? All the ones I'm seeing are 51+ #s.Larger motor certainly needs more battery power.

FF e-bikes can run into things with a lot more force than a normal bike, that has to accounted for in the build.

If I lived in the mountains with mostly 1 way trails, I'd buy a Wild for certain. It's just not the correct tool for the job where I live.

Anyways, using that above posted Relay weight as a starting point I get 43.6#s as the weight of my Relay build. Just googled the weight of the parts on that one vs. what i'll be running. Sounds about right.

Could probably build the new Levo SL to 42#s with the bit smaller reported built in battery.

Rob weighed a large M-LTD with the race motor & 625wh battery, EXO+ tires and without pedals it was under 46lbs.

I would say the build spec of a carbon Relay is comparable to a carbon Wild.

The weight difference is mostly in the battery. I’d be really interested in seeing what your bike ends up weighing once you’re done with the build. But I’m willing to bet it’ll be closer to 45lbs.

The carbon Rise with 360wh battery I helped build with a Zeb fork and coil shock was 44lbs so I think you’d be around that.

Also already owning an older Wild with a 625wh battery, having the 750wh battery isn’t a must have in my opinion. Someone under 200lbs could probably get 20 miles per ride.

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Front MM 29er ST is 1154 grams & the rear BB ST is 1206 grams. Not the heaviest but certainly not 'tissue tires'.

Certainly some guys go heavier but I do fine with 1000 gram tires on my pedal bike and am going to run Super Trails with full inserts on my Relay.

It's true that the frames essentially weigh the same (heck the Wild very well might have a lighter frame), there is a bit more weight in the Bosch motor, 3.2 vs. 2.3/ 2 #s.

The rest is battery size and build out.

If I was going FF I'd run DH tires because the bike is so heavy and it has so much power. I'd also consider a dual crown fork. But in a mid power I'm aiming to stay light to better utilize the small motor.

I highly recommend Continental’s new Kryptotal tires, even the enduro trail casing tire is great. I’d say it has a stronger sidewall than a Maxxis EXO+ but similar weight at 1125grams.

I’ve even installed their trail casing on a few customers bikes and they’ve held up really well.

Personally I think Magic Mary tires are terrible.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Rob weighed a large M-LTD with the race motor & 625wh battery, EXO+ tires and without pedals it was under 46lbs.

I would say the build spec of a carbon Relay is comparable to a carbon Wild.

The weight difference is mostly in the battery. I’d be really interested in seeing what your bike ends up weighing once you’re done with the build. But I’m willing to bet it’ll be closer to 45lbs.

The carbon Rise with 360wh battery I helped build with a Zeb fork and coil shock was 44lbs so I think you’d be around that.

Also already owning an older Wild with a 625wh battery, having the 750wh battery isn’t a must have in my opinion. Someone under 200lbs could probably get 20 miles per ride.

That's light!

Not sure any Wild set up appropriately is going to actually weigh 46#s though.

I would consider 20 miles not enough however just because I ride very chunky terrain and that's closer to what I knock out on my pedal bike. Thinking 30 miles of range in the low setting would be preferable.

Look forward to seeing the builds.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
That's light!

Not sure any Wild set up appropriately is going to actually weigh 46#s though.

I would consider 20 miles not enough however just because I ride very chunky terrain and that's closer to what I knock out on my pedal bike. Thinking 30 miles of range in the low setting would be preferable.

Look forward to seeing the builds.

I’m fairly confident you could have a M-LTD with the 625wh battery and have it at 46lbs ready to ride. The one Rob weighed was 20.81kg without pedals so that’s 45.88lbs.

If you had the budget you could build a light wheelset using Berd spokes. Just doing that shaves almost 1.5lbs from your wheelset. And get a nice lightweight set of pedals.

Those two things even with a slightly beefier tire would allow someone to have a 46lb Wild. You could also swap out the heavier Fox 38 for a lighter Fox 36 if you really wanted too.

What kind of range are you hoping to get out of the Relays battery? I bet the 625wh Bosch battery would have better range if used on a lower power setting.

We recently built a wheelset using those Berd spokes, it’s crazy how light the wheels are with them. It’s really noticeable when riding the bike too due to it being rotating mass.

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
I highly recommend Continental’s new Kryptotal tires, even the enduro trail casing tire is great. I’d say it has a stronger sidewall than a Maxxis EXO+ but similar weight at 1125grams.
This is exactly what I'll do. Knocks nearly 1lb off the relay weight

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I’m fairly confident you could have a M-LTD with the 625wh battery and have it at 46lbs ready to ride. The one Rob weighed was 20.81kg without pedals so that’s 45.88lbs.

If you had the budget you could build a light wheelset using Berd spokes. Just doing that shaves almost 1.5lbs from your wheelset. And get a nice lightweight set of pedals.

Those two things even with a slightly beefier tire would allow someone to have a 46lb Wild. You could also swap out the heavier Fox 38 for a lighter Fox 36 if you really wanted too.

What kind of range are you hoping to get out of the Relays battery? I bet the 625wh Bosch battery would have better range if used on a lower power setting.

We recently built a wheelset using those Berd spokes, it’s crazy how light the wheels are with them. It’s really noticeable when riding the bike too due to it being rotating mass.

I have 3 sets of Berd spoked wheels. Berds are not approved for ebikes however.

They save about 90 grams per 29" wheelset as I recall.

My ebike will reuse a Berd laced front wheel I have on my SJEvo currently and a steel spoked 27.5" rear wheel I'm having laced up as we speak.

I like my Berd spokes, but they can move/ flex a lot as they get stretched imo and I have been leaning towards only using them for front wheels moving forward even before ebikes.

I hope to increase my bike range by at least 50%. So I need about 28 miles or so. I'll probably run in the middle setting as the tires I intend to run will likely make the 'Breeze' (lowest setting on the F60) quite slow. I'm a well above average climber both in terms of fitness and technique currently on my bike.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
This is exactly what I'll do. Knocks nearly 1lb off the relay weight
I've already determined that I prefer a true 2.5 front tire.

For a rear, on a 29er I like a true 2.4 but in my limited mullet experience, 2.4 isn't wide enough for a 27.5" rear wheel.

Also, I like a bit higher BB. As such I was leaning towards the Magic Mary 29 x 2.6 ST (measures an actual 2.5) & the 27.5 x 2.6 Big Betty (actual dimensions unknown) ST.
But I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

My terrain is often really slippery *just loose rocks actually, and part of the appeal of an ebike is being able to really put absolutely traction above rolling resistance for once.

If I could verify that the new Conti 2.6s are very closer to 2.5, I'd be all in.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles