2024 Strive:ON

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Am starting to get buyers remorse. Had to regrease the headset as it was squeaky (never heard quite that noise before from a headset!). Then rode today, cut out 10-12 times in the space of an hour most times loss of power for 0.5 seconds then once for 10 seconds. Most of them while climbing but a couple on the flat. Bike never switched off though, on the 10 second cut out the controller started flashing red. Got home to find the error message below

Screenshot_20230625_160222_Flow.jpg

Last edited:

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
I just purchased a torque :eek:n. The creaking started a couple rides after receiving mine it was the motor mount bolts. Highly recommend putting locktite blue on the bolts.
Thanks mate, my creak seems like it was the seat post, gave it a good dose of grease & no more noise,although I did Wd40 the crap out of anything else that might of been responsible,so time will tell.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Thanks mate, my creak seems like it was the seat post, gave it a good dose of grease & no more noise,although I did Wd40 the crap out of anything else that might of been responsible,so time will tell.
Don't use WD40! It's not a lube! (Though it does contain a small amount of light oil.)

There are certainly better lubes to use though.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Don't use WD40! It's not a lube! (Though it does contain a small amount of light oil.)

There are certainly better lubes to use though.
I know,don't ever use it as a lube,just didn't have the time to strip,clean & re grease every possible bolt & contact point,I'm fairly sure it was the seatpost though,as you suggested.

Jackwithoneye

Jun 23, 2023
marseille
Report back once you've tried installing it! I predict some swearing! (I also watched a bunch of videos on installation!)

The hard bit is getting the final bead back onto the rim with the insert inside.

Good luck!
Tubeless and cushcore insert => DONE

It was actually pretty easy with the right technique, using the 100Km used Assegai and the DHRII.
I let the tires and the cushcore warming in the sun and assembled everything in less than an hour.
My only problem was adding the sealant, as mentionned by @hubertsk , the sealant propagation can be tricky, obstructed by the insert, and i should have done his technique (drilling the insert). Especially because i used 60mm mucoff valves (because of the magnet) which might not be as efficient as the provided 44mm cushcore valves for inserts when you're adding the sealant through the valve.

Concerning the bead in the rim, with the insert, when you roll tire with your hand, grabbing the insert in the same time, the tire fit easily.
I'm actually very surprised by the combo Maxxis(assegai&DHRII) with HX1700 rims, how super easy it was to fit the bead in the rim, using easyfit schwalbe mounting fluid (soapy water i guess...), i was able to make it with a simple pump, without having the usual "clank!".

Last edited:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Tubeless and cushcore insert => DONE

It was actually pretty easy with the right technique, using the 100Km used Assegai and the DHRII.
I let the tires and the cushcore warming in the sun and assembled everything in less than an hour.
My only problem was adding the sealant, as mentionned by @hubertsk , the sealant propagation can be tricky, obstructed by the insert, and i should have done his technique (drilling the insert). Especially because i used 60mm mucoff valves (because of the magnet) which might not be as efficient as the provided 44mm cushcore valves for inserts when you're adding the sealant through the valve.

Concerning the bead in the rim, with the insert, when you roll tire with your hand, grabbing the insert in the same time, the tire fit easily.
I'm actually very surprised by the combo Maxxis(assegai&DHRII) with HX1700 rims, how super easy it was to fit the bead in the rim, using easyfit schwalbe mounting fluid (soapy water i guess...), i was able to make it with a simple pump, without having the usual "clank!".
Hmm. Well must be my bad luck then. I'm struggling to even get my tyre off the rim to fit just the valves! Albeit, I've not ridden mine yet.

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland
Then rode today, cut out 10-12 times in the space of an hour most times loss of power for 0.5 seconds then once for 10 seconds. Most of them while climbing but a couple on the flat. Bike never switched off though, on the 10 second cut out the controller started flashing red.

@Herder000 any updates on this one? After my last ride, I reported the issue to Canyon, and I'm still waiting for a reply.
It takes forever for them to reply, and I'm getting frustrated by the bad customer support.

When I arrived from the last trip, the motor shut down, and I couldn't start it. I inspected the battery and the mount, and I know that the battery was latched properly. After re-inserting the battery, I was able to turn on the system.

I still see some play in the battery even when latched properly, which makes me wonder if the connector mounted in the downtube shouldn't be adjusted.
I'm not sure how to do it, as it's buried deep in the downtube and I cannot reach it by hand.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
@Herder000 any updates on this one? After my last ride, I reported the issue to Canyon, and I'm still waiting for a reply.
It takes forever for them to reply, and I'm getting frustrated by the bad customer support.

When I arrived from the last trip, the motor shut down, and I couldn't start it. I inspected the battery and the mount, and I know that the battery was latched properly. After re-inserting the battery, I was able to turn on the system.

I still see some play in the battery even when latched properly, which makes me wonder if the connector mounted in the downtube shouldn't be adjusted.
I'm not sure how to do it, as it's buried deep in the downtube and I cannot reach it by hand.
Have you tried talking to them on we chat? They reply pretty instantly then. Will need to be during normal working hours though.

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland
Have you tried talking to them on we chat? They reply pretty instantly then. Will need to be during normal working hours though.
Yup, already tried that - no luck :/
Today I got an email that they're experiencing a high volume of support cases and I should expect a longer response time.

1687818127203.png

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK

I reported mine to Canyon as well but haven't heard back yet.
I removed and reinserted my battery as well yesterday but to be honest it seems pretty tight anyway so don't think it's that. I went for a ride last night, after 15 mins, at the end of a very steep hill, it cut out 3 times for about 0.5 seconds each time. I stopped, and realised there was a little space between the magnet and the wheel (talking less than a cm) and I've tightened that up so it's right up against the wheel with no gap. The rest of the ride, about an hour, it didn't do it. Not sure that's solved it though. Will go out again tonight and see if it does it again.

I think your's sounds worse to be honest, I'll keep you up to date with what happens with mine though. Maybe we should start a new thread rather than dragging this one down.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
The 2024 Torque:On has launched in Australia, but the Strive:On hasn't yet. I've contacted Canyon hoping to get an idea of the rollout, but they weren't willing to provide any information.

Anyone have an inside information on when they might bring this bike to Australia?

Ghoetic

Jul 17, 2019
Sweden
I reported mine to Canyon as well but haven't heard back yet.
I removed and reinserted my battery as well yesterday but to be honest it seems pretty tight anyway so don't think it's that. I went for a ride last night, after 15 mins, at the end of a very steep hill, it cut out 3 times for about 0.5 seconds each time. I stopped, and realised there was a little space between the magnet and the wheel (talking less than a cm) and I've tightened that up so it's right up against the wheel with no gap. The rest of the ride, about an hour, it didn't do it. Not sure that's solved it though. Will go out again tonight and see if it does it again.

I think your's sounds worse to be honest, I'll keep you up to date with what happens with mine though. Maybe we should start a new thread rather than dragging this one down.
I support this, a thread for all the issues. i am still waiting for mine, but it will be very useful once/if things happens.

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth

Only way to get quick support from them is by phone

dingopes

Jun 26, 2023
Czech Republic
Hm, I ordered strive week ago and I have to admit, I am little scared. There is not much people with new strive:eek:n on this sub and 2 already have problems with motor, which is hard to service with local bike service and it seems also hard to get support from Canyon. I already had a motor problem with my current Cube stereo pro Bosch, so I am not feeling lucky in general. Lets hope it will not be a case with order and I wish good luck to @hubertsk and @Herder000

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Hm, I ordered strive week ago and I have to admit, I am little scared. There is not much people with new strive:eek:n on this sub and 2 already have problems with motor, which is hard to service with local bike service and it seems also hard to get support from Canyon. I already had a motor problem with my current Cube stereo pro Bosch, so I am not feeling lucky in general. Lets hope it will not be a case with order and I wish good luck to @hubertsk and @Herder000

Don’t worry. I’m sure the issue above is an easy fix. I’ve done 115 miles on mine in 6 days and it’s easily the best bike I’ve ever ridden. I’m literally spending every minute looking forward to where I’m off the following day. I had some doubts before it arrived and I had some doubts after using the Bosch motor for the first time but there isn’t a bike I’d swap it for now (or a motor😂)

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
I think people with problems are more likely to lookout and post in forums.
I am having the same experience as @Winryn since this is the best Mtb i ever owned. You will have lots of fun ;)

Don Hanzo

Jun 8, 2023
Germany
I think people with problems are more likely to lookout and post in forums.
I am having the same experience as @Winryn since this is the best Mtb i ever owned. You will have lots of fun ;)
400k on the clock and it runs like a goat, up and down the hill. No (zero, nada, niente) problems except some bolts and screws coming loose from hammering the trails. What a beast.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I am on about 400 hassle free miles, only slight niggle I've had is the inconsistency of the ebike alarm unlocking. The bike itself has been an absolute dream.

On a separate note, has anyone tried a 590ml Fidlock bottle yet? I've got the 450ml and it fits comfortably but this unusual UK heat has got me wanting the 590ml which is 42mm longer.
1688049417274.png

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
I am on about 400 hassle free miles, only slight niggle I've had is the inconsistency of the ebike alarm unlocking. The bike itself has been an absolute dream.

On a separate note, has anyone tried a 590ml Fidlock bottle yet? I've got the 450ml and it fits comfortably but this unusual UK heat has got me wanting the 590ml which is 42mm longer.
View attachment 119061
I suppose it’s dependant on how low it can be mounted, but for reference a large rapha bottle which is 240mm in height fits inside the frame so you should be ok

IMG_6649.jpeg

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
This bloke highly rates the Strive and even purchased one himself :D

Now I'm not going to be negative, but you shouldn't look at all the youtube reviews to much and trust all that they say. most of them are sponsored by either the bike brand or they get money to do a review and give the bike a high rating.

now maybe i don't think rob is that kind of person be personally i dont read and watch reviews to much.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Now I'm not going to be negative, but you shouldn't look at all the youtube reviews to much and trust all that they say. most of them are sponsored by either the bike brand or they get money to do a review and give the bike a high rating.

now maybe i don't think rob is that kind of person be personally i dont read and watch reviews to much.
I think you disregarded the part about not being negative :LOL:

#InRobWeTrust

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
I think you disregarded the part about not being negative :LOL:

#InRobWeTrust
It’s mostly when people start with “I don’t want to be negative” that something negative follows. Similar to “I am not a racist but..” and then for sure something racist follows :)

Still, I mostly choose my bikes by how much I like the design and since I ride emtbs I like those bikes that are very capable downhill because uphill there is always that emergency “+” button.
So reviews are indeed not that important. I just look at the pictures ;)

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Personally I think it says a lot about a bike if a Youtube'r like @Rob Rides EMTB chooses to spend his own cash on it. I'm sure that Rob has more than his fair share and choice of bike to ride almost constantly that he'd likely not ever be without a bike even if he didn't own his own. I do think there is almost too much choice online when it comes to 'reviews' that it makes it hard to choose as a consumer. Many reviews are definitely swayed towards only sharing the merits of a bike (or any other tested product) and not enough balance in revealing the cons and weaknesses. This is why, personally, I choose to only take a couple of reviewer's points of view's into account. My go to's are The Loam Wolf channel, Rob Rides and Pink Bike. They seem to have a good balance of opinion and don't seem limited to only extolling the virtues. I find the EMTB yearly shootout on Loam Wolf particularly good

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
For those of you who have Invisiframed your bikes, where the heck do these three bits go?!
IMG_2889.jpeg

Looked all around the chainstay and can't work it out. Even had a peak at the seatstay and can't see where it would go there either. Wish there were more thorough instructions.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
are 220 rotors allowed on the strive on frame?
Nope.
I put Hope rotors on mine and wanted to go 220/220 so contacted Canyon and they advised the frame is only rated to 200mm so any issue would not be under warranty. Shame because the 200mm Hope rotors slightly rub on Shimano brakes but the 220mm up front doesn't.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles