Levo Gen 2 2020 Brose Mag S - Motor Failure Summaries

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Thought I would start a thread to consolidate simple summaries of 2020 Brose Mag S failures as mine just failed this past week.

Model: 2020 Levo Comp
Mileage: 440 miles (700km)
Terrain: Arizona dry, rocky desert (no real moisture exposure)
Rider Weight: ~155 lbs. (70kg)
Symptoms: Intermittent power cutout, then got worse. Would seem to not provide assist climbing hills, but come back in when pedal pressure was reduced. Motor got much noisier whilst trying to pedal harder.

In the LBS where purchased, now awaiting a new motor. Estimate is two weeks to repair and $100USD labor cost (possibly waived). I'll update these details when the repair is complete.

Update: Bike repaired with replacement motor (dated Jan 9, 2020). LBS unsure of actual failure mode inside motor assembly. Ended up taking 25 days for repair and there was no cost in the end. Super busy time of year here for bike service. LBS said first couple weeks they were going back and forth with Spesh who was requesting various diagnostic tests before they sent out a new motor.

Last edited:

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Why your LBS takes money from you? It's a warranty issue

They said last time they waranteed a motor Spesh would not cover labor. Said they would petition on my behalf to see if they could get it covered. Let you know how it turns out.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Second motor fail a few weeks ago:

Model: 2020 Levo Comp
Mileage: 1240 miles (2000km) ~1700 miles on bike
Terrain: Arizona dry, rocky desert (no real moisture exposure)
Rider Weight: ~155 lbs. (70kg)
Symptoms: Loud screech from motor, then lost all assist. Bike wheel would no longer roll backwards. No motor fail symptom prior to that. Did have a few times when the bike would not power up over the previous month.

LBS replaced the motor under warantee in about 7 days, but then found a faulty wire between the motor and battery. Cable replacement complete about 10 days later once they got a replacement from Specialized. This motor SEEMS to be smoother than the previous one, but I'm not impressed with the weakened walk mode.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
....This motor SEEMS to be smoother than the previous one, but I'm not impressed with the weakened walk mode.

just had a new motor fitted too...mine seems much smoother (and quieter) than the previous one ? shame about walk mode but at least it works..ish

what build date have you got on the new motor?

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Levo 2019
Motor 1. - 1300km Drive bearing failed - Replaced motor (No charge)
Motor 2 - 320km Grinding noice when back peddling ... bike shop said they will replace. butt can't be without my bike until May so riding it until it fails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles