2019 Turbo Levo S work Brose Mag S failure

Koosh

Feb 11, 2019
Netherlands
Hi Guys, last weekend ready to drive my two-2 Levo's....my Levo Comp 2019 fails to switch on with a full battery, my Levo HT 2019 motor fails one-1 day later while the bike is just one-1 week old. S..t Happens? will be continued

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti UPDATE

Lost third motor today, but it good news IT"S NOT THE BELT, it's the sprague clutch. Told Specialized to replace the motor or refund.......Refund it is! I guess after thousands in warranty dollars, I'm not a great risk. Really sorry to see the bike go back, fantastic riding bike, but new motors every 250 miles, NOT!

Now I have bike panic....looking for suggestions? 29er, big battery, short chain stays top end components.

Davecol

Nov 10, 2018
New Zealand
300 km on my 2020 Kenevo and the drive belts shit itself, it’s a great bike but looks like its fragile, I’ve had a 2018 and 2019 Kenevo and they were faultless.

Shit time of year for it to happen, hopefully specialized have got replacement motors in stock

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
High Rock Ruti UPDATE

Lost third motor today, but it good news IT"S NOT THE BELT, it's the sprague clutch. Told Specialized to replace the motor or refund.......Refund it is! I guess after thousands in warranty dollars, I'm not a great risk. Really sorry to see the bike go back, fantastic riding bike, but new motors every 250 miles, NOT!

Now I have bike panic....looking for suggestions? 29er, big battery, short chain stays top end components.

did they agree fur a refund no problem ? My 2nd motor is starting to sound noisy I think. I’ve upgraded my bike I probs couldn’t get a refund now.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
The motor on my bike let go at 2500 miles. I am glad it did before the 2 year warranty is up. It sounds like the early motors were crap and the new one is definitely quieter so i am thinking the problems may have been fixed.

Unfortunately, this thread is relating to the new "Brose Mag S" motor. My bike was only 7 months old with about 700km when the motor failed. I will add though, that given the number of Levo's sold the failures may be a small percentage.

I was thinking that the early 2019 motors were crap as well as being noisy and that perhaps they fixed the belt issue for 2020, i guess fixed might be a stretch more like hopefully it was improved. I'm not sure it makes any difference but i have kept gearing and speed restriction stock and i am trying to be careful not to engage from coasting in high gear at low rpm as that's when my belt broke

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I was thinking that the early 2019 motors were crap as well as being noisy and that perhaps they fixed the belt issue for 2020, i guess fixed might be a stretch more like hopefully it was improved. I'm not sure it makes any difference but i have kept gearing and speed restriction stock and i am trying to be careful not to engage from coasting in high gear at low rpm as that's when my belt broke
To be frank, I don't think they have changed a thing and that the 2020 motors are the same as the 2019's and will come with all the same issues, as will the battery leads.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The important thing is that Specialized provide a good warranty service....and that despite many owners extensively modifying their bikes, some openly derestricting them and if this forum is anything to go by also some using the bike way beyond its specified category 4 intended use (i.e. it is not a freeride, downhill, gravity bike...moderate drops and jumps only.) In another thread it appears Shimano E8000 owners are not so fortunate.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
The important thing is that Specialized provide a good warranty service....and that despite many owners extensively modifying their bikes, some openly derestricting them and if this forum is anything to go by also some using the bike way beyond its specified category 4 intended use (i.e. it is not a freeride, downhill, gravity bike...moderate drops and jumps only.) In another thread it appears Shimano E8000 owners are not so fortunate.
Please do not make excuses for Specialized.
The motor and electrics are sub par full stop!
It's got nothing to do with mods or the way they are ridden, 90% of the failures are due to water ingress, either through motor itself or lead.
We can not accept what we have now as the standard, because once your 2 years are up, then what £1000 a pop for a new motor?

JohnnyP

May 26, 2019
France
Just had motor replaced on my 2019 Levo, suspect Sprag clutch - turning cranks backwards whilst on bike stand during cleaning with chain off feels rough and slightly notchy with a bit of associated noise. About 1400 kms. My local dealer here in france took a short movie with sound and sent to Specialized. 10 days later called to say he had a new motor for me. All fitted and fixed and even serviced my rear hub for free. Great after sales support (Sportbike, Malemort, Correze). I should add that my bike doesn't get too much hammer, I'm a fit 69 and weigh 63kg, mostly riden at 10% assist just to keep up with my younger pals but fairly tough technical rides, typically 35k with 800mtr vertical gain. Hopefully wont have any more problems.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Please do not make excuses for Specialized.
The motor and electrics are sub par full stop!
It's got nothing to do with mods or the way they are ridden, 90% of the failures are due to water ingress, either through motor itself or lead.
We can not accept what we have now as the standard, because once your 2 years are up, then what £1000 a pop for a new motor?

I have to agree with this. While specialized has been great, there is a widespread issue with these motors and many failures are from normal mtb use. I don't think it's a great idea to be quiet and complacent with this problem, there will come a time when specialized moves on to their next model/motor and our levos/Kenevos will be forgotten, resale values will absolutely plummet and we'll all be held accountable for our own motor replacement costs. It needs to be sorted now, and either permit fixes researched or warrantys extended.

If this issue was one in the automotive industry, with a failure rate of between 20-40% I am positive it would be a recall, warranty extension or legal ramifications would fall on the manufacturer. These bikes are upward to the cost of a motorcycle.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
300 km on my 2020 Kenevo and the drive belts shit itself, it’s a great bike but looks like its fragile, I’ve had a 2018 and 2019 Kenevo and they were faultless.

Shit time of year for it to happen, hopefully specialized have got replacement motors in stock

High Rock Ruti

As of last week was told there were motors in stock sorry to hear your belt broke I lost three belts and a clutch Specialized offered a full refund from May 2019 Really sorry that your 2020 belt failed clearly something wrong with Mag S motors

bobdivot

Apr 9, 2019
Southern California
Lost my second motor on my '19 Levo yesterday. No slipping, started with a slight clicking then progressively worse to sounding like a box of rocks within a hundred yards. Clutch/bearing no doubt. Had a six mile ride out with motor off, luckily most all down hill.

4 months/1000 miles on this one. First failure 4 months/1300 miles, got a new bike that time in 10 days. We'll see what they say now :(. Water not an issue, not de-restricted.

Love love the bike still and they're stepping up, but if they don't come out with a publicized fix in the next 16 months, I'm dumping this thing and taking the likely massive hit on depreciation. :cautious:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Lost my second motor on my '19 Levo yesterday. No slipping, started with a slight clicking then progressively worse to sounding like a box of rocks within a hundred yards. Clutch/bearing no doubt. Had a six mile ride out with motor off, luckily most all down hill.

4 months/1000 miles on this one. First failure 4 months/1300 miles, got a new bike that time in 10 days. We'll see what they say now :(. Water not an issue, not de-restricted.

Love love the bike still and they're stepping up, but if they don't come out with a publicized fix in the next 16 months, I'm dumping this thing and taking the likely massive hit on depreciation. :cautious:
High Rock Ruti

Ask for a refund I got all my money back after my third motor failed Specialized said yes after I asked for a refund you should try too.

bobdivot

Apr 9, 2019
Southern California
High Rock Ruti

Ask for a refund I got all my money back after my third motor failed Specialized said yes after I asked for a refund you should try too.

Great that worked out for you(y). Don't much want a refund, would need to go buy something else and jury's out if any other motor is that much better. You hear a shit-ton of Levo failures cause they sell a shit-ton more bikes...so who knows??

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I'd like to see some hard numbers, so far from multiple online sources. Fb groups, emtb forums etc are showing about a 30% failure rate. Unacceptable imo.
Agreed.
Had my first yesterday at 979kms. I am a bit of a clydesdale but flow pretty good and use the gears on climbs, not just go to turbo. Don't do big jumps or ride in too shitty conditions unless I am caught out there and it changes radically. Mine appears to be a drive belt.
Dealer who has sold over 100 Speshy reckons he gets one or two a year with issues but I am gonna talk to one of his techs sometimes soon and see if I get a different answer.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
2018 sworks - motor failed at 1000km, got it warrantied and sold it
2019 expert - motor failed at 500km, sounds like a belt issue, whined like a electric chainsaw but no power. Warranty approved, awaiting new motor, week 3. If this new motor fails, will be asking for a refund

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

3 motors in less than 1000 miles got refund by asking for a refund, don't be shy.

Thinking about Trek Rail 9.9 anybody's thoughts?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Well, can't complain about warranty service.
Specialized NZ opened back up for business 8am Monday and around noon the following day my LBS phoned to say the replacement motor was fitted and the bike ready for collection. Was working out of town so only collected it this morning and haven't had the chance to ride it yet.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

So sorry Blebo, that's the same mileage of each of the four (did I say 4?..yes)failures I had. How long for a new motor?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Nov 25, 2019
BC
Second motor failure :( Tooth belt buzz then wizz... Only lasted 5 months; 300km. I also have two friends who's motors failed. I sure hope Brose have or are working on a fix! Replacing with the same motor is pointless.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

It sure is a good thing that all these failures represent such a small "percentage" of Specialized S Mag motors', hate to think what it would be like if it was WORSE! Just think of Brose motor's as a large less easily removable Fazua, unclick throw away every 250 miles easy, SIMPLE!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Guys who have had a lot of motor failures, how do you ride. Which mode normally?
Turbo all night long, trail all the times or Eco and switching sometimes to trail?

I ask this because I want to know if there is a difference between the modes.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Turbo at all times except when traction is sketchy or the technical is close quarters and requires herky jerky pedal dabbing then trail to prevent lurching.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I rarely use turbo...probably less than 2 minutes total in a 2 hour ride. I use it for steep climbs only. My eco is set 35/50 and trail is set 50/100. Acess to trails, fireroads and flat single track and downhill tech runs I use eco. Everything else in trail. In essence I keep the motor silent by selecting the appropriate mode and gear.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I should add there are no mountains around here! My riding is mostly natural forest trails preferably on hillsides with some trailbuilder features added.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Anyone want to comment on whether there is more failures with the 2.1 compared to the 1.3, also higher rates for both with carbon frames? With carbon frames could it be that people who fork out for carbon frames actually ride them harder and longer?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles