Turbo Levo Brose S Magnesium Motor Failures

turbowolf

Sep 2, 2019
Novato, CA
My motor on my 2019 Turbo Levo recently failed due to what appears to be the belt slipping. Seems like there was inadequate tension on the belt. The bike is only 4 months old with 1000 to 1500 miles on it. While the motor is covered by a 2 year warranty, this is concerning because this type of failure requires motor replacement and is very premature for the price of these bikes. I also know a couple other people who have had similar failures on bikes that are relatively new, indicating a possible design defect. So, has anyone else on this forum had premature motor failures like this? Is specialized fixing them and dealing with the underlying design issues or just replacing the motors with the same defective ones that fail again?

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Mine failed 2 days ago after 1900km
after 2 other electrical issues in a month.

As I understand it motor is replaced with same type

I'll watch this thread with interest

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Last edited:

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Another failure yesterday , this one managed about 1200km . Previous one did about 1900km
Fortunately I was in my local woods only about a mile from home
Awesome service from Berkshire Cycles again. I text Chris and he said bring it in anytime.
Took it in today , sorted in an hour
Bike of the trails for less than 24 hours
Big Kudos to Chris and his team
Assured me it's the 2021 motor. Also had the software updated
Time will tell if Spesh have made any improvements. Hope so as I love this bike.
Extended warranty has made me much more relaxed about the whole issue

Mfgbg

Feb 22, 2020
Sweden
Im having a motor change om my 2020 levo this week. Had a creaking sound that disappeared when i turned motor off.

The bike was bought second hand a year ago with 200 km on it. Now it has failed after 700 km.

I love the bike but thinking of selling it. I had some difficulties with warranty bacause of the second hand buy.

Should i keep it?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You will now have latest (more reliable) motor and additional warranty on the motor, why don't you keep it if you really love it? And if you have original proof of purchase you shouldn't have any difficulties claiming a warranty, what were these difficulties?

Mfgbg

Feb 22, 2020
Sweden
You will now have latest (more reliable) motor and additional warranty on the motor, why don't you keep it if you really love it? And if you have original proof of purchase you shouldn't have any difficulties claiming a warranty, what were these difficulties?

I dont have the original proof of purchase.
But i was in the store it came from when new. And the bike mechanic solved it for me. Bike is in their system.

When im picking up the bike next weekend im going to ask what happens if it fails again.

Hopefully this new motor is safer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles