2017 Levo FSR jangling noise from back of bike at speed

Downsman

Sep 7, 2018
UK
I have a 2017 Levo FSR purchased 4 months ago, which has had an irritating noise since new. Above about 15mph, a jangling noise is evident from the rear of the bike. At first I thought it was from the motor, but am now reasonably certain it is from something striking the brake rotor. The black edge of the rotor had chips out of it - which seemed to suggest something was impacting.

Dealer has replaced pads (twice), bled the brake, and replaced the rotor. I picked it up today with the new rotor and the noise is still there. Dealer claims they struggle to hear it, and it IS faint beneath the traffic noise. However, take it down a quiet country lane and it sounds like one of those jangly push along child's toys. I have not got particularly sensitive hearing (as my wife will attest!).

It is getting embarrassing taking the bike back (this will be the fifth time). Any ideas?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have a 2017 Levo FSR purchased 4 months ago, which has had an irritating noise since new. Above about 15mph, a jangling noise is evident from the rear of the bike. At first I thought it was from the motor, but am now reasonably certain it is from something striking the brake rotor. The black edge of the rotor had chips out of it - which seemed to suggest something was impacting.

Dealer has replaced pads (twice), bled the brake, and replaced the rotor. I picked it up today with the new rotor and the noise is still there. Dealer claims they struggle to hear it, and it IS faint beneath the traffic noise. However, take it down a quiet country lane and it sounds like one of those jangly push along child's toys. I have not got particularly sensitive hearing (as my wife will attest!).

It is getting embarrassing taking the bike back (this will be the fifth time). Any ideas?
Take it somewhere else apparently the muppets you’ve been taking it to, don’t know what the fuck they’re doing.

I am assuming it’s a Guide brake. Probably stuck piston disease. Make them balance the pistons or replace the caliper. If they say
“Balance the pistons? Eh? whatsthat?” Run out of there. You could also balance the pistons yourself, there are several YouTube videos on the subject

Also, never be embarrassed about a persistent problem. They should be embarrassed, because they have been able to solve it. Don’t worry about feeling like you’re bugging them or being a nuisance.
It’s their fucking job to solve your problems.
Well, just your bike problems

Last edited:

Downsman

Sep 7, 2018
UK
Take it somewhere else apparently the muppets you’ve been taking it to, don’t know what the fuck they’re doing.

I am assuming it’s a Guide brake. Probably stuck piston disease. Make them balance the pistons or replace the caliper. If they say
“Balance the pistons? Eh? whatsthat?” Run out of there. You could also balance the pistons yourself, there are several YouTube videos on the subject

Also, never be embarrassed about a persistent problem. They should be embarrassed, because they have been able to solve it. Don’t worry about feeling like you’re bugging them or being a nuisance.
It they’re fucking job to solve your problems.
Well, just your bike problems

Thanks, you're right of course - I could have bought a car for less so should expect it to be fixed.

Peebee01

Jul 9, 2018
Netherlands
Try loosening the two screws that hold the brake and move it a little forward before tightening them again. I had a similar issue and it was because of the rotor touching the part of the metal spring holding the brake pads

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles