Noise from rear brake discs

Owen cobb

Apr 22, 2019
Portsmouth
I notice whilst riding yesterday I had a noise coming from the rear disc on the wheel. The only way to describe it is if you tap it with your finger nail the noise it makes is what I here a lot whilst riding. I have had the wheels off to make them tubeless and this seemed to only have occurred since I put them back on. Does anyone know what might be causing it or is it because it’s so new bike has only done about 45 miles

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
Could also be something small accidentally left in the tire (washer, screw) or a loose valve, would be my first suggestions as the noise is like something solid tapping the tire.

Did you use a tire insert (rim protection)? I used a Huck Norris some time ago and it tended to rattle, at braking it often made some extra spins, if you mounted it too loose.

How much sealant did you use? If there’s a little lake in the tire that also tends to make Sounds like tapping on your tire. As it literally is.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Are you sure you did not also adjust the chain keeper? If the bolt loosens on this chain keeper it will slip down and contact the chain as you are peddling making that ticking sound that is hard to locate the source of. Just something to check. Just loosening the bolt and raising the chain keeper will get rid of it. I actually have gotten in the habit of checking this bolt after every ride because it tends to loosen up easily. Also put Loctite and that seems to fix it. Just something to keep in mind if you can't find what is causing it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles