Levo Gen 3 Noise when rear of bike compresses

gibbers

Jun 1, 2023
UK
Hi all, i understand these kind of things are hard to explain via text but i thought i would give it a go in case any other owners had a similar sound.

I have had my 22 Levo Expert for a few weeks now and i have noticed a metallic grinding noise on my rides coming from the rear of the bike.

It will come when i compress into a corner or on a jump and almost sounds like when the rear of the bike is flexing the brake rotor is grinding on something. It seems to happen more when the rear end is at an angle so it wont happen when i compress the rear when the bike is straight.

Has anyone else had similar, my lbs said i could test by removing the rear brake pads and trying to replicate (obviously not hammering it off a jump at the time haha)

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Not a Levo owner (Rail) but a grinding metallic noise during torque conditions could indicate a slight misalignment of the rear calliper. The rotor may be touching the calliper as the wheel flexes.

I sometimes I get a tire to fender noise as I torque or flex the rear wheel during hard pedaling or cornering. I can usually eliminate that noise/rubbing on the fly. Easy fix.

Calliper alignment or main pivot bearing would be my first concerns.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Check you spoke tension, the wheel could be flexing under load. You can also un bolt the shock and cycle the suspension through its travel. This is how I find dead bearings.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Watch super slowmo action of somebody riding and there’s a lot of flexing wheels going on . Could just be loose spokes as already posted !

gibbers

Jun 1, 2023
UK
Bit embarrassed to admit this was due to my rear tyre pressure being too low, pumped it up to around 20psi and i cant hear the noise now 🤦‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles