Levo Gen 2 *Super Difficult Problem* - clicking noise coming from the front of the bike when hitting curbs, rocks and other small obsticles

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Well I'm truly disappointed that no one has suggested that you stop running into things like kerbs!
What is this forum coming to 🤔
If you ever get it sorted then I will bring you my bike to sort out 👍
I came here just to see such a comment!

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Thanks for a few suggestions I've yet to try. I'm still having the problem I need to try more things. I will of cause post if I find anything else out but at the moment there is nothing more to report

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
Take out the TCU look inside and see if the connections are tapping on the frame, i put bubble wrap in there and now its not making any noise.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Thanks for a few suggestions I've yet to try. I'm still having the problem I need to try more things. I will of cause post if I find anything else out but at the moment there is nothing more to report
On a more serious note, whilst trying to sort a rattle out on my bike that only happens on fast uneven ground. I also change the headset, checked the forks for creaking,wheel spokes etc and even stuffed bubble wrap in the down tube. I think I have narrowed it down to the motor gears and the backlash from the bosch motor. Constant peddling on the rough stuff seems to stop it. So more bubble wrap under the casings and motor out and foam padding fitted on top.
Yet to try it so fingers crossed 🤞

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Lift the front wheel & turn handlebars from side to side. I had a customers road bike that was clicking was the internal cables rubbing/clicking on the fork steerer (as turned the bars) Cable rattle can be a pain.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
- Check for subtle movement in the shock bushing(s) and shock bolts. Even a tiny bit will cause a thunk at times.
- Did you remove your water bottle cage? If so, the bracket for the bolts might be loose (may require a couple washers)

FjClay

Jul 15, 2021
Costa Mesa Ca
Had the same issue. Turned out to be the dropper. There was a dirt between it and the down tube. Pulled it out, cleaned it put a very slight amount of grease on it and quiet ever since. I would’ve sworn it was the headset or the fork crown.

Topolino

Jan 27, 2019
München
Go to the Emergency Room and have your wrists x-rayed 😜

Remove forks and wheel, check for noise. If not that check the chain tool in the steerer tube....

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Kiitos muutamasta ehdotuksesta, joita en ole vielä kokeillut. Minulla on edelleen ongelma, minun täytyy kokeilla enemmän asioita. Ilmoitan, jos saan jotain muuta, mutta tällä hetkellä ei ole enempää raportoitavaa
Tarkastus satulakiinnityksen liukuin,puhdista kiristä tiukkaan. Aiheyttaa joskus narinaa. Petollinen ääni alue.

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
I have a clicking noise on my 2021 levo comp ally which turned into a clunking noise changed the battery holder at headset end as battery was moving sideways in the frame unfortunately the frame is worn and this never worked Specialized are replacing frame under warranty if you grab the frame and shake it vigorously side to side could feel and here battery moving about.

Turbo Mike

Jun 29, 2021
Phoenix, Arizona
When I first heard the front noise it was shortly after I bought my Turbo. Was the wrong headset preload(torque). Problem solved by shop.
I have heard it a couple of times since then but found out it was ….. …. …. My helmet. It creaked when hitting certain obstacles. Just an observation …. Fixed with a little tape near the offending location (as a spacer/isolator).
Hope it helps LOVE my turbo Levo!!

Foli

Jul 13, 2022
Canmore
Had a very similar ghost clicking issue coming from the front end, I swore it came from the headset. I have the 2022 Pro so I thought I might’ve been an issue with the carbon frame, so I took it to the shop they adjusted the dropper tube and the saddle mounting bracket, solved the problem. Does the noise still happen when you’re riding off the saddle?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I'm now thinking it's the CSU (Crown Steerer Unit) in the fork. The first reply is most likely right. I am thinking this after a test I have carried out:

Having turned the bike upside down with front wheel off and started twisting the forks, while putting pressure down on the frame, it's making the clicking noises.

When I get the time (going to need 3-4 hours for this) I will ride another bike with the Levo's fork on it and see if the clicking persists. Going to be a time consuming job swapping forks over and putting them back so it will take a while until I report back.

Most of the other suggestions had already been isolated before posting

I believe I may have to order a new fork and pay local mechanic to do the star nut

This video at 3:30 shows the test I had carried out and on mine I could hear it straight away:

THE FORK TEST IS AT 3:30

I won't comment too much about the 'solution' that the video suggests because I tried it and it didn't work for me, but I don't ever have any luck when it comes to bike maintenance problems so I wasn't expecting it to anyway.
Useful test though to see if you really do have a CSU issue

Last edited:

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
Just went through the same thing with a Fox 38 170mm. Since I bought them used with no CSU warranty I gave them to my kid and got Zebs. Fork was quiet on the kids bike. Ugh. So.... I discovered my top cap was just thick enough to make the headset appear tight by hand but still creaked under load. Put another spacer between top cap and headset. Noise was gone. It felt tight and did not move while rocking with front brake so WTH. Anyway $1000 mistake. For shits and grins toss another spacer on top and retighten everything.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The quality of the top cap also makes a difference. I replaced the top cap on my 2019 Levo Comp for example because it had too much flex.

gibbers

Jun 1, 2023
UK
I have had my Levo Expert a month now and its developed a creak which i think is headset or CSU. Very annoying for a brand new bike!

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
I have a stumpjumper evo and a Kenevo sl with adjustable geometry and cups just clicks after a while I strip clean and grease and goes for a while but comes back eventually never had on old 21 Levo with adjustability comes clicks.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have had my Levo Expert a month now and its developed a creak which i think is headset or CSU. Very annoying for a brand new bike!
Did you loosen and retension the headset? Grease or carbon paste where recommended? Still there?

Sometimes parts just settle in a bit and some creaks and free play will develop.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I have replaced the Fork and the problem has gone. However, I have another Bike (Analogue) which has a Fox 36 and has got constant clicking coming from the Fork after just 4 months!
Forks, they're shite aren't they ?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I have replaced the Fork and the problem has gone. However, I have another Bike (Analogue) which has a Fox 36 and has got constant clicking coming from the Fork after just 4 months!
Forks, they're shite aren't they ?
The newer Fox stuff is garbage, I’ve not been impressed with any of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles