Levo Gen 2 *Super Difficult Problem* - clicking noise coming from the front of the bike when hitting curbs, rocks and other small obsticles

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I would be amazed if anyone can provide a solution but this is my last resort. I've had many trips to the bike shop but they have never been able to find a solution. I have also spent countless hours on this.

Turbo Levo - clicking noise coming from the front. Every time the front wheel hits something, it makes a clicking noise. Easiest to replicate by hitting a curb. However, this problem is unique in that anyone can replicate the noise by getting off the bike, lifting it by the handlebars and bouncing it on its back wheel. If I take the front wheel off, the noise has gone. However, the front wheel is not the cause of the problem because I have put a different front wheel on the front from another bike and the problem still persists so is obviously an issue only trigged when the fork has some weight on it.

What have a I tried so far ? Just about everything.
Cleaning and greasing all bolts at the front of the bike.
Replaced headset recently bearings - confirmed Specialized Turbo Levo / Kenevo Headset Bearing Kit Upper Lower CG | eBay
Cleaned and regreased headset lower and upper
Tested with different levels of preload in the headset (with no play obviously)
Tested with different fork and original fork
Removed front brake caliper

I am really stuck, I don't want to sell this bike right now because I've just spent about a very lot on upgrades, that I'll see very little back for what I've paid. But I don't want to ride such a loud bike making noises that I don't want to hear. It's making them every time it is ridden on anything but the smoothest of surfaces.

It is obviously coming from the front - there is enough clues other than the apparant location of the noise. The tests I've carried out confirm this: by getting off the bike and bouncing it on the back wheel, the noise is reproduced with the front wheel attatched, but has gone without the front wheel attatched to the fork.

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Sounds like a fork csu creak , I’ve learned to live with it .
Edit if the fox has warranty they should fix !

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Definetely not the fork I've tested the bike with different fork and the original fork and the problem still persists either way. CSU definetely a very common fault though, know people who've had it and complaints about this are all over the internet.

I'd take a problem with the CSU over my problem anyday, this issue seems to be impossible to locate or resolve. Replacing the fork a lot easier than replacing the entire bike (which is what I think I'll have to do)

Bike is 3 years old

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
You might have 2 forks with csu issues ! Could try riding a different bike with the fork on it .
If the creak goes without the fork it can only be either the headset , the fork or the wheel .

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
CSU is an extremely common fault, some posts on the internet saying they've had all 3 bikes with it after a year or 2. But in my case the other test fork is off a bike that isn't clicking at all, so that suggests that the test fork doesn't have a CSU issue.

Could it be the headset bearings ? They're new, but they're cheap, £13 for both the upper and lower from Ebay.

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
As I said before put the fork on a different bike to rule it out . Also bounce bike on the front wheel , if probably with creak if it’s the csu !
Have you cleaned and greased the maxle and checked the bearings ?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Yes to both of those last two.
Bearings were cheap though, £13 for both off Ebay. Maybe I could try ordering a new pair from somewhere else where quality is more guaranteed ?
Bearings appear to be 100% okay on checking them however.

I will do that fork test eventually when I get the time, riding a different bike with the Levo's fork on it, it's a time consuming task swapping the forks over and back though

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
when you rule out the obvious you have to consider the obscure!!
One golden rule for fault finding is to determine when it started and what occured ( a ride incident/maintenance/upgrades etc) immediately beforehand.

Some thoughts:

1. you replaced the headset bearings but are the bearing seats secure? ( ally or carbon headtube??)
2. You have swopped forks so I assumeyou would have noticed a poor stem to steerer interface but if you left the bars attached to the stem when you did that that interface is worth checking.
3. The tests you use to replicate the noise would similarly apply shock to anything attached to the bars.......brakes levers/dropper lever.
4. A long shot but worth checking..............TCU loose in the top tube. It is only held in by a small machine screw at the front and the back just held by a bit of bent metal!
5. Loose battery in downtube. ( noise in a hollow frame can be misleading!!)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
4/5 could be the creak but he’s said the creak stops when the forks are off the bike !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
4/5 could be the creak but he’s said the creak stops when the forks are off the bike !
...which I assume means he can only bounce the bike on the back wheel which is not sending any shock through the front of the bike?

That said I would suspect mostly the headset nd since he has changed the bearings that just leaves the bearing seats or the starnut in the steerer tube which could be moving.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
...which I assume means he can only bounce the bike on the back wheel which is not sending any shock through the front of the bike?
Would be enough to make a loose battery creak . I’ve never heard of a tcu creaking !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Would be enough to make a loose battery creak . I’ve never heard of a tcu creaking !
nor me............but when you have checked all the obvious............you have to accept the less obvious:ROFLMAO:

I note he changed the headset bearings but does not make clear whether he did that because of the creak or just as a maintenance job and the creak started a fter he did that.

Folk have different ways of describing noises. Assuming it is a creak as opposed to a tapping or knocking sound, that is caused by a metal to metal fixing allowing a slight movement............hence the most common being the CSU with a seat or dropper post running a close second. Others include loose cranks, loose motor bolts. Headest noises are more usually a rattle or tapping sound.

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I traced a troubling rattle to the wiring harness under the TCU. I zip tied some of the wires together and made it fit tighter and the rattle disappeared.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
I’m going with headset creak. I had one that sounded like a wooden ship in a storm till I upgraded to a Chris King.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
any spokes touching can rub together as you hit obstacles/holes and make a noise.
try lubing them up with GT85 or something
you can probably pinch the spokes between 2 fingers even and hear them twang

I've not noticed it on my EMTB yet but my gravel bike does it, I've never been bothered by the noise though since I know what it is.
Spokes on my gravel bike are round and still do it, that video claims round ones don't do it...

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I’m going with headset creak. I had one that sounded like a wooden ship in a storm till I upgraded to a Chris King.
I had noises coming from my Stumpjumper FSA headset. The thing would just not perform properly. I also had the Enduro which many people reported issues with the frame headset cups. I immediately swapped out the FSA headset on both those bikes w/ Chris King and never had another problem. This was also a Day-1 upgrade on my new Levo adding the Chris King Dropset 5 and as a result have never had any headset creak or issues. FSA is certainly a very likely culprit.

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
Ditch the axle spacers. You don't need them. l mine rattled and annoyed me. I did all you did and the spacers were the problem. Good luck

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Get yourself 2M of thin clear poly tubing and some masking tape. Tape one end to the bike near a suspect location. Hold the other end and go for a ride. Now stick the loose end in your ear. It will sound like your ear is pressed on the frame at that location & you will be able to tell if you are near the source of the noise. If not, move the other end around and try again.
It's dirt cheap and works well.
Even better is to find and wear a kids play stethoscope and plug it into the poly tubing - then you can monitor hands-free.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Brake pads rattling.
This!

It's the only thing it could be if the noise stops with the wheel removed, and happens with different wheels.

Take the brake pads out then try to reproduce the noise with the wheel installed

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Well I'm truly disappointed that no one has suggested that you stop running into things like kerbs!
What is this forum coming to 🤔
If you ever get it sorted then I will bring you my bike to sort out 👍

N.R.G.

Nov 17, 2022
Hampshire
I recently changed the headset bearings on my analogue after having a knocking noise from the front end, this did not solve the problem so I checked all the bolts on the bike and found a loose bolt on the rear shock which when I tightened solved the knocking noise , I would of sworn blind that the noise was the headset......you say you have checked the front end maybe try checking all the pivot points at the rear as well

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles