Whyte e-mtb

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Nice one Sam, you’re a gentleman, I’ve got plenty of booze in, once my stuff arrives I’ll get cracking on my bike, I’ve already had the battery out and was surprised how much dust the battery had on it, you’d think it would all be sealed from the outside, thanks again pal ?
No worries Sean. I see you are a Sheffield lad, I’m up the road in Barnsley, maybe see you around the Peak! ?

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
@Hobo Mikey You're going to love it.

I had my 3rd proper ride on my 150RS yesterday. First ride was at Bedgebury a few weeks back where I binned it twice, once on a berm where I wasn't leaning far enough over and lost the front wheel, second time where it didn't slow as fast as my old Heckler and I clipped a bar... Boom over the top.

After trimming the bars to 740mm (still massive coming from 660mm bars I've ridden for 15 years..) and bleeding the front brake, went to Leith Hill last weekend and did a few laps there. Still getting used to the weight of the bike on the downs, couple of push on inertia related moments but no crashes. The climb back up which used to be hideous on an acoustic just became yet more fun.

The front brake was quite spongy initially and I think it probably came with the factory bleed, the rear where Whyte have had to route the hose was much better. There was a fair amount of air in the front, the feel is much, much better after the bleed but I still don't think the CodeR brakes are as good as my Hope M4s though.

Third proper ride yesterday at Bedgebury using the shop's Shockwiz to get an idea of how the suspension setup is. A great ride, got a couple of laps done in a few hours and I'm really starting to gain more confidence in the bike. Got to really push it down into the berm and keep the weight down all the way round to avoid it pushing on.

Have had a few doubts about the bike though - the BB is very low and I'm finding pedal strikes are a common occurrence, think I've lost 50% of the pins from my V12 Mags. It's a heavy old thing and that takes some getting used to, pain in the arse to put in the car! Definitely feel a bit slower at the moment on the downs and in some of the twisty bits but that speed should come back in time.

But I'm getting more miles in, having more fun and I'm not dying on the climbs anymore! Love it. Only problem I've got is persuading my usual riding buddy to get an ebike so he can keep up on the hills. Bloody luddite.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I'm getting more pedal strikes on my 150RS than on my old 'luddite' bike. I know it's got a low BB, but I put it down to tackling terrain that I wouldn't have previously tried, or just getting further up it than before.
Regular tricky climbs, where we always had our 'Ceasars mark' point to reach/beat, are now all conquerable on the Whyte.
I'm loving it!

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I'm not knocking acoustics, I still ride my '04 Heckler for fitness and fun - I'll always love it but it's now mostly a week day ride rather than weekends. I built it before my eldest son was born so it's part of the family. I'm still going to take it to BPW when the uplift reopens - gratuitous Heckler pic with a demo e150s behind:
2020-05-25 12.50.30.jpg

I think pedal strikes are happening for me because as well as the low bb, I just pedal everywhere now, I don't need to conserve energy as much and can rely on the motor to help me up the next hill. Still getting a good workout though, muscling the Whyte in the turns and climbing past the motor assist point takes it out of me but my heart rate stays under control.. Love it.

Haven't battered the gear cable yet though so my technique isn't that bad - for an old fart!

Whybro

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
the bike is insane. i have the rear suspension at 25% sag when open and rebound as fast as it can, i have to watch for rocks and move the cranks to clear pedals on the random trails, but no more than a 29er frame with 27.5 wheels. you figure it out though and even if you lose speed by taking it steady at first, the bike gives it right back with even half a crank rotation + the weight going along a trail. the amount of times you can session a feature on ebikes is ridiculous, just turbo over the grass back to the start of the section and try again. amazing.
i have seen some 152mm ebike cranks that might help with the pedal strikes a little, the stock cranks are 165mm so an extra centimetre of clearance might be enough to lessen the frequency of catching the pedal pins when pedaling through stuff? otherwise, get the knee up! :D
(Miranda Replacement E-Bike Crank Arms | Merlin Cycles)

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
The shockwiz did show the rear wasn't working that well, even with the recommended 190psi so I'm going to try running a bit more air and making the rebound a bit faster:
2020-06-28 10.53.41.jpg

The shockwiz is a clever thing. The fork is working well, it suggests maybe adding another spacer but I'd like another session with it when I get the chance and concentrate on the rear shock rather than doing both ends.

Yeah, maybe shorter cranks could be worth a try, Hope do some 155mm ones :unsure:

I do like Hope stuff ?

Tienhaara

Apr 27, 2020
Finland
Taking delivery in a week plus, LBS re-routing the shifter cable inside the BB.

Got the bike. It’s raining so only took it for a short spin. Feels great tho.

Cables or cable rather is rerouted and coming out the back of the bottombracket, same sesl asthe breakhose. On the bottom of the BB just an empty seal. Looks and seems legit.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I'm getting more pedal strikes on my 150RS than on my old 'luddite' bike. I know it's got a low BB, but I put it down to tackling terrain that I wouldn't have previously tried, or just getting further up it than before.
Regular tricky climbs, where we always had our 'Ceasars mark' point to reach/beat, are now all conquerable on the Whyte.
I'm loving it!

Re the pedal strikes, I get them a fair bit or at least used to but it improves the more i ride the bike. In the 8 months I've had it I've developed a technique of sort of 1/4 or 1/2 pedalling as I'm about to go over something i know I'll strike, the momentum of the motor pushes you over the obstacle without having to pedal any further. I'm not sure if any other emtbers do this but it generally seems to work for me.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Re pedal strikes, best thing I did was go back to my xt spds. Rarely get them now as the pedal is much smaller than any flat pedal. I may swap out to shorter cranks eventually when I’ve got some cash spare.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Great thread, very useful. I'm trying a demo later today hopefully. I've heard the RS is now sold out, with a v2 imminent?

In the 8 months I've had it I've developed a technique of sort of 1/4 or 1/2 pedalling as I'm about to go over something

This sounds like what the 'Extended Boost' feature does with the new software.

@Kilham5 your riding sounds similar to mine. Been biking for over 30 years, still have an old hardtail, plus a T-130S at the mo that I'm thinking of replacing.

How do you find the 11-speed GX gearing on the S? I'm used to 12-speed GX (10-50) on the T-130S. Is going back to 11-speed with less gear range a non-issue on an EMTB?

Comfortable with the lower-spec fork (I have motion control damping at the mo), and WTB tyres are the same as my old bike too.

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Great thread, very useful. I'm trying a demo later today hopefully. I've heard the RS is now sold out, with a v2 imminent?

This sounds like what the 'Extended Boost' feature does with the new software.

@Kilham5 your riding sounds similar to mine. Been biking for over 30 years, still have an old hardtail, plus a T-130S at the mo that I'm thinking of replacing.

How do you find the 11-speed GX gearing on the S? I'm used to 12-speed GX (10-50) on the T-130S. Is going back to 11-speed with less gear range a non-issue on an EMTB?

Comfortable with the lower-spec fork (I have motion control damping at the mo), and WTB tyres are the same as my old bike too.
I went from a 21 speed hardtail to the 150S, and can’t say I have any issues with the gears.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I have come from 3x9 speed, down to 1x11.
It is a complete non issue for me, the 10-42 11 speed is fine.
I rarely use the 42, and breeze up ridiculously steep climbs, so not sure what I am missing with a 50

The Yari is a great fork, I can't imagine my skill level would benefit from the Charger damper.

I like the WTB tyres enough to have bought a second set, and not get drawn into a never ending Maxxis this and that game.

Having said all that, unless there is a killer deal to be done on a v1 150S, I might wait and see what an iminent v2 might offer.
(Better cable routing or AXS on the RS, better looking bottom end ?)

Thanks. Thought so, you don't need the bailout gears with the support from the motor - unless you run out of battery :) And I actually quite like the Vigilante.

Yeah, all depends on what deal they will do. Got a feeling they know they can sell the last few at near RRP, so I'll probably end up ordering an early v2 instead. The only risk is Whyte bump the price up a bit.

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
The shockwiz did show the rear wasn't working that well, even with the recommended 190psi so I'm going to try running a bit more air and making the rebound a bit faster:
View attachment 34565

The shockwiz is a clever thing. The fork is working well, it suggests maybe adding another spacer but I'd like another session with it when I get the chance and concentrate on the rear shock rather than doing both ends.

Yeah, maybe shorter cranks could be worth a try, Hope do some 155mm ones :unsure:

I do like Hope stuff ?
Hi I demoed an E150 at Bedgebury it was awsome ?
Great handling going to pre order a 2021 mode..

When I first got my Whyte S150 I use to pedal strike all the time but I soon adapted my style and don't even think about it now.
On my E150 demo lap I did not have any strikes probably due to the S150 geo being very similar to the E150.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
When I first got my Whyte S150 I use to pedal strike all the time but I soon adapted my style and don't even think about it now.
On my E150 demo lap I did not have any strikes probably due to the S150 geo being very similar to the E150.

My T130 has the same BB height (well, 1mm higher) and longer cranks. In fact, my old hardtail is even lower (by 20mm) with long cranks so interested in the feedback on pedal strikes ? Although with 150mm travel I guess the BB drops when the suspension compresses?

Didn't get to see the E150S yesterday, going over later ??

Smiffy

Jun 9, 2020
Bristol

I was getting some pedal strikes with my E150 on my first day with it, but I soon adjusted my riding (and stopped just mindlessly pedalling up everything - it was the climbs where I got the most strikes), and now it's a rare occurrence.

Whybro

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
View attachment 34565

I do like Hope stuff ?
that looks like a decent bit of kit! is this a screen of the rear shock? what do they mean by "packing"?
I was able to bottom out my forks on black graded trails until it was over half way closed, i wasn't going that fast or deliberately trying to either. seems there was a reason they included 2 fork tokens out of the box, i will try and throw one token in as soon as and see how it behaves.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
No worries Sean. I see you are a Sheffield lad, I’m up the road in Barnsley, maybe see you around the Peak! ?
Hi Sam, sorry for the late reply mate, I’ve been out enjoying my bike in the Peak District, I went on the Jacobs ladder loop on Komoot, OMG what a ride, my first time, yeah I live on the east side of Sheffield so not far from you at all, you never know we may bump into each other metaphorically speaking ?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
View attachment 34565

I do like Hope stuff ?
Each time I type in shockwiz I keep getting a little gizmo that clips to the forks is this what this is about, if not any chance you could send me the link to the correct thing coz I’d like to see if I’ve set up my suspension correctly please
Thanks

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Interesting in getting a RS, but thinking it might be better to hold off until a v2 comes out? Currently on a merida E120 800 but just fancy another ebike.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Interesting in getting a RS, but thinking it might be better to hold off until a v2 comes out? Currently on a merida E120 800 but just fancy another ebike.

I thought about holding out for 2021 stock but in the end thought I really like the 2020 RS colour etc. I got a good deal and to be honest I don’t think a lot will have changed apart from colour. Because of COVID I think stock levals are going to be down. I pick mine up on Monday and can’t wait to get my grubby little hands on it. Five sleeps to go. (y)

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I thought about holding out for 2021 stock but in the end thought I really like the 2020 RS colour etc. I got a good deal and to be honest I don’t think a lot will have changed apart from colour. Because of COVID I think stock levals are going to be down. I pick mine up on Monday and can’t wait to get my grubby little hands on it. Five sleeps to go. (y)

Both shops I've spoken to today said Whyte has now sold out, so only shop stock remains. Really impressed with the S, although it was only a quick ride around the streets. Have a longer ride on another demo bike at Swinley next week. Think I'll end up ordering a v2 S.

September seems to be the date for v2. The S will be orange, RS is moss green. No news yet on specs. S is the same price, RS will go up in price a bit.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
@Whybro Yeah that's a screenshot of the detection screen for the rear, showing what behaviour it's picked up. I didn't get a screenshot of the suggestions screen for the rear because I hadn't set the profiles up correctly and it didn't save.

Packing, as I understand it, is where you're taking big hits and the shock hasn't extended fully after the first one so the next hit happens with the shock still compressed - Rebound not fast enough, maybe not enough air pressure.

@EMTBSEAN Yes it is the little back box that attaches to the fork or shock and reads the air pressure variations as you ride. I rented it for £10 for 4 hours, they're like 250 ish new. Maybe worth buying if there's a group of you going to use it but for me just to get an idea of how my suspension is performing, the rental was fine.

You pair it to your phone via bluetooth and see the results in the shockwiz app from play/ios store. Once it's been calibrated by letting the air out the fork then extending it, pumping it up, compressing it a few times (bit of a ballache, 2 person job on the front) you get a screen like this:

2020-06-28 09.49.19.jpg

You can set the riding style you want, I've got it set for playful for 'poppiness'. Start riding and it'll feed back suggestions and detections when its got enough data, this is my front fork (ignore it saying 28 rear, my mess up with the profiles):

2020-06-28 09.49.11.jpg 2020-06-28 12.09.57.jpg

I think it's making a mild suggestion that I add a spacer to the fork/slow down rebound etc. Would have been interesting to see the suggestions for the rear with the packing being detected as bad, probably strong suggestions to add air pressure and increase rebound speed. Next time I'm at Bedgebury I'll have another go with it.

This is my first air shock so not sure what to expect of it, how it should feel etc so this is a useful bit of kit and pretty good for setting a baseline. Hth.

Edit - if your local shop won't hire one, this seems reasonable, 7 days for 40 quid linky

Last edited:

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London

I demo'd the E150 at Bedgebury too. That's what persuaded me to buy one. Had tried the Giant Rail but with 29ers it felt like a boat. Couple of runs on the E150 up the hill and down the Cake Run had me sold!

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
Had a bash at rerouting Rear mech cable myself today. A smashed up rear wheel stops actual bike play for me today. Probably took 90mins beginning to end. Saves me buying AXS!

It’s actually pretty simple to reroute, only needs motor cover taking off. Most difficult but was making room in the existing grommet which currently houses the brake hose.

It shifts cleanly, can’t tell if there is any additional friction caused by the small radius bends. Time will tell.

?

Sam (E180)

How is your re-routed cable going?

I went for the cable re-route last night.
I had a real challenge getting the new outer between the hose hole and the bracket that secures the motor cover.
Managed it eventually, looked really neat, but when I came to fit the inner cable, it would not pass that pinch point.
Withdrew and ran freely, put it back and the inner fouled again. On my frame, it appears there is an obstruction out of sight behind that bracket that is causing a tight radius, or compression on the outer that is impassable. I wonder if it is a frame size thing, mine is a Small.
I tried a second outer, taking more care, but to no avail, same obstruction to the inner

The gear cable also looked to be forcing the brake hose up against the frame (despite the grommet)
Not confident the rear suspension movement wouldn't chafe the brake hose over time.

I am reverting to the route taken by Whybro's LBS, routing through a second notch in the motor cover.

I will post the result.

PS I thought I had screwed the electrics up.
Put it back together and it wouldn't switch on.
Took it apart, put it back together again, still nothing.
After scratching my head realised the bike was upside-down and I was pressing the "walk" button, not On/Off.
Lesson learn't ? Don't drink too much beer when messing with bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles