The $45 Turbo Levo Hardwired Headlight Thread

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
Nice. Did you use DC to DC converter to lower the voltage near 8.4 Volts? Or just connected the wires and running with 12 Volts?

We all know that the real output is not near claimed 5 000 lumens. But who cares. Those Cree leds are great.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
The brightness was close to my Gemini Duo on the middle setting. That is 900, so I think this light is about 700 or 750.

Just did a group trail ride for over 10 miles and two guys lights died. My Gemini was on max on my helmet and lasted, and of course the Turbo Levo light lasted.

EEC12CE5-4B2B-465F-847C-00896FB39CA2.jpeg

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
That's good to hear. We hope that the driver and lamp can handle the voltage and it will last many year.

One cree led can produce over 1 000 lumens and draw 10 watts. So it is possible that it is way more than 700 lumens. Driver is the key in this. If it can draw 20 watts it could be something near 2 000 lumens. You can double the lumens and the eye barely notices the difference.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I just tested it with one of the light heads with three LEDs connected at the same time and both worked at once. So I ordered a second dual-LED one and will try both of those at once.

So it will probably be, I am guessing, 1400 lumens. I can point one closer to the front wheel than the other one.

Still for some reason it cannot drive my Duo 1500 or MagicShine.

But yeah, I agree that it is hard to tell lumens. Especially given wide vs narrow beam patterns.

Tomorrow I will make up a custom cable to measure current draw and find out what it is pulling.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I tested the battery that it came with by driving my Gemini Duo 1500 on low power. It was still going strong after 2.5 hours, and I wanted to go to bed so stopped testing it. But the battery is somehow not junk, so that makes me extra glad that I didn't cut the cable off it.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Today I tried the light called: "Bright Eyes Fully Waterproof 1600 Lumen Rechargeable Mountain, Road Bike Headlight, 6400mAh Battery (Now 5+ Hours on Bright Beam). Comes w/Free Diffuser Lens and Free TAILLIGHT"

It was slightly less bright than the light I selected, so not worth the additional money. Also, it stopped working, so I don't think it has internal voltage conversion.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I tried *two* of these units at the same time using a Y-adaptor. It worked! Power draw was 1.95 amps at 11.5v, which is 22.4 watts. Fantastic! For some reason, these heads stay within safe limits without a startup surge that is making other light heads go over the limit.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Yes, you can see the large power switch on the back of each light, as well as the three brightness settings. The enclosures are aluminum with heat sinks. If you are concerned you could open them and make sure there is thermal paste, but having two means if one dies, you have a backup.

I am pretty sure two of these is the ultimate Turbo Levo light setup since it seems to draw right up up to the limit, and still came to under $70, plus included in that price you get two battery packs that are useful for other things.

Best thing about these lights is no stupid strobe mode.

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
Yes, you can see the large power switch on the back of each light, as well as the three brightness settings. The enclosures are aluminum with heat sinks. If you are concerned you could open them and make sure there is thermal paste, but having two means if one dies, you have a backup.

I am pretty sure two of these is the ultimate Turbo Levo light setup since it seems to draw right up up to the limit, and still came to under $70, plus included in that price you get two battery packs that are useful for other things.

My LBS has one of those on stock. It is under the other name but looks exactly the same. It is 8.4V.
I will order the cable and give it a go.
Will report back once up and running.
Thanks

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I tested the wattage of my MagicShine MJ-906 and it was pulling 25 watts from a battery. It won't work with the Brose motor cable though.

So I am pretty happy with the 22 watts I am getting with my other heads.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
I tried *two* of these units at the same time using a Y-adaptor. It worked! Power draw was 1.95 amps at 11.5v, which is 22.4 watts. Fantastic! For some reason, these heads stay within safe limits without a startup surge that is making other light heads go over the limit.
Nice. As you can see the output is reaching the max limit because voltage has already dropped. Of course there is more resistance in the cable too. In theory you could have same amount of lumines with only one lamp if the leds are pushed to the max. I mean one led is 1 000 lm and 10 W in the white sheet. Two heads are more failsafe, but how ever there is only one power output that can fail.

Very happy that this kind of projects and threads exists. Keep it going!

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
So do you think 22 watts is resulting in about 2200 lumens?

As for these projects, I posted this in a few places and almost no one seems to care. I find that surprising as this is a huge deal to me to never have to worry about battery life on night rides.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
So do you think 22 watts is resulting in about 2200 lumens?

As for these projects, I posted this in a few places and almost no one seems to care. I find that surprising as this is a huge deal to me to never have to worry about battery life on night rides.
Hard to tell. Leds do have lumen/watt ratio, but like always there is more variables affecting. Actually I don't believe that those leds are even Crees. The numbers are not logical referring to led data sheet. I started to think they are fakes. And yes, comments says it all. But I hope that those won't let you down in the dark trails.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
They could easily be fake. Spreading the heat among two housings should help reliability.

I just compared both to my MagicShine MJ-906, and the MagicShine was still a lot more output (that light is amazing). Both of these Chinese heads combined was about equal to the MagicShine on the second from lowest setting.

I think both are totaling around 1400 lumens, which is decent when combined with the helmet light.

Last edited:

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
They could easily be fake. Spreading the heat among two housings should help reliability.

I just compared both to my MagicShine MJ-906, and the MagicShine was still a lot more output (that light is amazing). Both of these Chinese heads combined was about equal to the MagicShine on the second from lowest setting.

I think both are totaling around 1400 lumens, which is decent when combined with the helmet light.
I would be so nice if there was a lamp on the market like picture below. 22 watts and 2600 lumens. Lupine sl sf is neat in the streets but beam is a bit limited to the trails. No scattered light at all.
IMG_20181124_173313.jpg

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Rob, kudos on your solution. I went the opposite way and purchased the Lupine SL SF (the new light) and it works great, in spite of the concerns of Dave from Lupine. I have to say it is the most elegant and usable solution, however it's significantly more expensive than your option. If you are willing to spend the cash, it's well worth it. Anyone interested reach out to me directly and I'll give you some tips that will make the install a little easier for you than it was to me.

lupine2.jpg

lupine.jpg

lupine3.jpg

lupine4.jpg

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
@rsilvers Hi Rob this looks neat, do you have the details of the y adaptor please?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I took my inaugural night ride with the Lupine SL SF system tonight. Worked seamlessly, plenty of light, though not quite as much as my $400 Serfas True 1500+ system.... Started out with a little light and the light automatically ran as DRL, then as I got into the woods, it automatically switched to Low Beam.... switching back and forth was really easy with the handlebar controls... So much better than having to remember to charge and install the Serfas system, and having the opportunity to end up unintentionally riding into dark, which is very easy this time of year. I give it five stars!

lupine 7.jpg

lupine 8.jpg

lupine6.jpg

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I installed my old Magicshine lamp with the Supernova Brose cable. Works perfectly well. Dunno how long the Magicshine will last due to the higher voltage but it’s battery is dead so it does not matter.

Lane

May 26, 2019
texas

Thanks for the write up, I am going to replicate on my levo. I will order the cable from lupine. Do you know where to order a cable with 3 pins for the tail light? I would like to add one of those as well since I ride home on the streets on the way home from the trails.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Worth pointing out that I've not tested it yet as only ordered everything yesterday! Browse cable and lights won't arrive for a week or 2.
I’ve tested the splitter and it works with two lights however I’m really struggling to run the cables inside the bike. @rsilvers any tips please? Someone on another thread suggested loosening the front motorbolt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles