Reign E+ 2022

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Nice. Do keep in mind that battery is far less efficient in the cold. At freezing temp (0C), efficiency is -20%. I imagine at -6C it's probably in the -25% range.

Yes, I know. When I had a bike with external battery and rode in -10C, the capacity dropped -40%

But I did almost an identical ride week before with the Kenevo (500Wh battery), the consumption and perceived effort were pretty much the same. But it was a bit warmer, +0, and without proper power output numbers it's impossible to really say what's going on.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Question for the new owner's:

Does it feel like a heavy rig on tight tech trails? Was riding my 15kg Strive on very tight DH demanding trails today, and was imagining a Reign would be a real handful. Am I wrong?

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden

Does it feel like a heavy rig on tight tech trails? Was riding my 15kg Strive on very tight DH demanding trails today, and was imagining a Reign would be a real handful. Am I wrong?
Reports say it feels nimble. Mullet helps a lot.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich

It depends. If you are above 85kg and generally mostly muscle AND you are doing switchbacks wright then it's fine. Mine normal bike has 170mm front and rear and comparing to Reign E it's mostly suspension that swallows the energy in tight switchbacks. But you need to use the mountain in your favor.

When a 25kg emtb really differs from my 14kg enduro bike are things like bunny hops, switchbacks on flat, manuals. The added weight and long chainstays are then really apparent. Reign E likes it hard and fast if you know what I mean. If slow and technical is your thing then stay away from any heavy E-Bike. Especially when you are under 80kg.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
It depends. If you are above 85kg and generally mostly muscle AND you are doing switchbacks wright then it's fine. Mine normal bike has 170mm front and rear and comparing to Reign E it's mostly suspension that swallows the energy in tight switchbacks. But you need to use the mountain in your favor.

When a 25kg emtb really differs from my 14kg enduro bike are things like bunny hops, switchbacks on flat, manuals. The added weight and long chainstays are then really apparent. Reign E likes it hard and fast if you know what I mean. If slow and technical is your thing then stay away from any heavy E-Bike. Especially when you are under 80kg.

Hard and fast is my thing, but sometimes the trails gets super tight where I live, lots of rapid fire change of direction.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hard and fast is my thing, but sometimes the trails gets super tight where I live, lots of rapid fire change of direction.

Test. If not Giant then test new Orange emtb. I assume that in Ireland it will be possible. Pinkbike says it's fugly. I say I rode Orange emtb during emtb festival. If not the small battery (that now has a proper size) I would buy it on the spot. I loved the geometry the most. SUPER stable on big jumps. The supposedly big pedal kickback came out just to be a very fun direct feeling of the trail. I rode M and L and with 182cm I preferred the M. Short torso, long arms and legs. Did geometry change I don't know. Reign E is a great bike. But if you cannot test it then try to test something else from similar weight division at least.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
590 ?
what size is your bike?

L. The trick was to "not to" tighten the water bottle cap completely. Leave it with a slight angle. And it fits without touching the frame or any mods. I will install a custom seal under the cap one day to allow me to screw the cap tighter. But right now it's also just fine. There is a small patch of helitape with the this water bottle. I stick it under the top tube to prevent scratches from the bottle.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Test. If not Giant then test new Orange emtb. I assume that in Ireland it will be possible. Pinkbike says it's fugly. I say I rode Orange emtb during emtb festival. If not the small battery (that now has a proper size) I would buy it on the spot. I loved the geometry the most. SUPER stable on big jumps. The supposedly big pedal kickback came out just to be a very fun direct feeling of the trail. I rode M and L and with 182cm I preferred the M. Short torso, long arms and legs. Did geometry change I don't know. Reign E is a great bike. But if you cannot test it then try to test something else from similar weight division at least.

Hopefully testing one next weekend. And by then Robs video must be out! :)

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Haven’t tried my E+2 yet but I’m sure it won’t be as nimble as a 14Kg bike, no matter your weight. I’m hoping it will be better or comparable) to a 22+ Kg e-bike. 😊

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
question: has anyone used the energy pack range extender? do you need to run it all day installed when starting riding or can you just for example grab it out of your car late in the day if you wanted a few more runs if you main battery was down to 10%

Thanks

kimochi

Feb 16, 2021
California
At 168cm with longer arms and torso than legs - will small or medium be a better fit ? I feel like medium is better but I want it to be as nimble as possible ?

guile80386

Jan 23, 2022
PT
question: has anyone used the energy pack range extender? do you need to run it all day installed when starting riding or can you just for example grab it out of your car late in the day if you wanted a few more runs if you main battery was down to 10%

Thanks

I have the EnergyPak Plus 250 Wh range extender and even though I’ve had it for 5 weeks now (for as long as I’ve had my Reign E+ 1 with the 625 Wh battery) I have not used it yet as I’ve just went through the process of installing the support.

From what I’ve read you can plug it in and turn it on at any time, but the bike will only draw energy from the extender when the main battery reaches about 5%. Then, once the extender runs out of juice it switches back to the main battery to use those remaining 5% or so. I’m not aware of any way to change this behavior.

Here are some random notes and some pictures:
  • Packaging is nice for both the extender and the mount, feels premium, almost iPhone like;
  • It doesn’t look terrible with the E+ 1 colors (doesn’t look good either, in my opinion);
  • The aluminium support rests against the frame, so I’ve put some electrical tape beneath to protect the paint job;
  • The bottle cage mount holes in the frame are left open and the holes to mount the extender support itself are flush with the frame, so it looks fairly easy for water to get in;
    • Since the bottle cage mount holes aren’t flush, it is unlikely that water gets in if I have the bottle cage plastic piece that comes with the kit attached (even though I don’t use a bottle holder);
    • The mount holes look more problematic - I’ve stuffed some tape in it, let’s see how it goes (I hose down my eBikes - a Stance E+ 1 and this Reign E+ 1 - and moderate/heavy rain and wind don’t get in the way of my rides as both the 5/10 TrailCross GTX and the FOX 3L waterproof stuff do their job properly);
  • The actual cord is very short and it is a very tight fit when connected to the bike as you can see in the pictures - it definitely doesn’t feel that it was made for this bike, even though it works (let’s see if the bent cable won’t break or if it won’t damage the bike);
  • It comes with a nice carrying case - it's not completely useless for me as I can attach it to the Camelbak MULE Pro's bottom straps if I don't want to carry the battery inside the backpack or mounted in the frame.

Some more random thoughts about the bike itself - for context, before this I had (still have) a Stance E+ 1 in size M (the new Reign E+ 1 is an L) and before the Stance the last time I rode was in the 20th century:
  • The Shimano XT drivetrain feels much more precise than the SRAM SX in the Stance, but the latter has been through some knocks and some 1500km;
  • The Shimano XT brakes are way more powerful than the Stance’s 4 piston Shimano ones - I believe this is due to the XT lever, but in the end it is the whole package (the discs are the same SLX in both, if I’m not mistaken):
  • The Fox suspension and shock along with the increased travel and wider tires make this bike feel much more comfortable and attached to the ground - even when just dropping it dead it refuses to rebound;
  • Motor feels just as powerful (the Stance has a SyncDrive Sport with 70nm of torque), but the Reign is running lower pressure and grippier rubber, so that may take the extra 15nm - either way, I’ve never felt like I needed more power in any of the bikes, especially steep technical climbs where you’re not looking at how fast you’re going;
  • The Reign is bigger and it feels bigger (size M vs L, plus geometry differences), but so far I’ve had no trouble going as slow as needed on tight single track switchbacks;
  • Fantastic traction on steep technical climbs with dirt and slippy rocks - coming directly from the 90s, the Stance already felt like it shouldn’t climb certain things and the Reign definitely feels even more capable, despite the Enduro tag (or because of).

Overall, as expected for someone who’s not racing down all the time and who actually has a lot of fun climbing steep technical stuff that would otherwise be impossible without a motor, the Reign feels much more comfortable and much more ass-saving/forgiving than the Stance. For my skill level and for my usual fitness rides (even though off-road with fun climbs) I definitely did not need to upgrade from the Stance to the Reign; however even I can appreciate the significant difference in performance, confidence and comfort, so I’m very happy (and thankful) with the purchase.

Had some pedal strikes at first, but now I got used to it and having set the shock sag correctly definitely helped: when my LBS asked for my weight to pre-tune the fork and shock I told them I should be around 82kg with equipment - turns out it had been a while since I last weighted myself and I was at 97kg, so I had to increase the shock’s pressure. I’m 183cm tall and I didn’t feel that the Medium Stance was wrong for me and the Large Reign feels great too (definitely roomier and more stable, but there are a lot of factors in play).

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2031.jpeg

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

guile80386

Jan 23, 2022
PT
Thanks Guile! That could be the most complete answer I have ever received on any forum!

cheers

No problem, glad to help! As an addendum, just 3 more points:
  • Fantastic traction on steep technical climbs with dirt and slippy rocks - coming directly from the 90s, the Stance already felt like it shouldn’t climb certain things and the Reign definitely feels even more capable, despite the Enduro tag (or because of).
    • Well, I just learned that EWS-E has the Power Stages, so it makes sense that this bike feels capable on steep technical climbs!
  • The EnergyPak Plus comes with a strap to keep the cable close to the frame, but there really isn't any room for it to move anywhere (unless it's not plugged);
  • The motor feels super precise, I feel confident when stopping, balancing and pushing again during some climbs, but the Auto mode feels odd to me in this situations - in my opinion this is an Auto mode brought from City/Urban bikes and it definitely feels good when riding alongside traffic and it makes it feel very natural to gain speed and not hold down other motorized vehicles when the light goes green; I definitely use it in the city and sometimes on fire roads, but I avoid it on tighter, slippery technical stuff.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I'm using a 600ml YT Thirstmaster 4000 on Medium Frame - lots of clearance. Even when mounted on the rail of the battery Extender ❤️

There is a noticeable difference between Thirstmaster and normal Fidlock 590ml bottle though. With 590ml you have a nice cover that allows you to enjoy water without mud and dirt.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
The Cover from my 450ml and 590ml Fidlock bottle fits to the TM 4000 too 😁

But more importently if fits into a Medium frame where the FL 590 doesn't.

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
The Cover from my 450ml and 590ml Fidlock bottle fits to the TM 4000 too 😁

But more importently if fits into a Medium frame where the FL 590 doesn't.

I like this side of internet. Someone will be looking for any info about this bike and absolutely everything will be here already 😀.

Gally

Dec 24, 2021
UK
Had my 2022 E+2 since the start of the year now, first ebike. Put's a smile on my face everytime i'm out on it. Was worried about the weight at first but when you're flying round you can't feel it. The bike is fast and to me you just feel safe on it, must be the weight which adds to that. Can't compare to other motors, had no issues so far with this, nice and quiet. I find the power of the bike to be brilliant. Do think the brakes need bleeding as the leavers are coming back close to the bar.

I found that water was getting in behind the battery cover when out riding but took the advice of another member in here and used some foam mounting tape (I used some spare tape i had for mounting a reg plate) just around the inside edge of where the battery goes. Stops a massive amount of water getting in for me.

I did have to get a smaller water bottle to fit in the medium frame so went with the flidlock 450ml which works a treat. Just need some dry weather now, sick to death of the mud and slop.

Thinking about getting a spare chain in, just in case. What would you guys/gals recommended? Unsure on how many links, might have to sit and count...

PXL_20220121_125833857.jpg

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I have the EnergyPak Plus 250 Wh range extender and even though I’ve had it for 5 weeks now (for as long as I’ve had my Reign E+ 1 with the 625 Wh battery) I have not used it yet as I’ve just went through the process of installing the support.

From what I’ve read you can plug it in and turn it on at any time, but the bike will only draw energy from the extender when the main battery reaches about 5%. Then, once the extender runs out of juice it switches back to the main battery to use those remaining 5% or so. I’m not aware of any way to change this behavior.

Here are some random notes and some pictures:
  • Packaging is nice for both the extender and the mount, feels premium, almost iPhone like;
  • It doesn’t look terrible with the E+ 1 colors (doesn’t look good either, in my opinion);
  • The aluminium support rests against the frame, so I’ve put some electrical tape beneath to protect the paint job;
  • The bottle cage mount holes in the frame are left open and the holes to mount the extender support itself are flush with the frame, so it looks fairly easy for water to get in;
    • Since the bottle cage mount holes aren’t flush, it is unlikely that water gets in if I have the bottle cage plastic piece that comes with the kit attached (even though I don’t use a bottle holder);
    • The mount holes look more problematic - I’ve stuffed some tape in it, let’s see how it goes (I hose down my eBikes - a Stance E+ 1 and this Reign E+ 1 - and moderate/heavy rain and wind don’t get in the way of my rides as both the 5/10 TrailCross GTX and the FOX 3L waterproof stuff do their job properly);
  • The actual cord is very short and it is a very tight fit when connected to the bike as you can see in the pictures - it definitely doesn’t feel that it was made for this bike, even though it works (let’s see if the bent cable won’t break or if it won’t damage the bike);
  • It comes with a nice carrying case - it's not completely useless for me as I can attach it to the Camelbak MULE Pro's bottom straps if I don't want to carry the battery inside the backpack or mounted in the frame.

Some more random thoughts about the bike itself - for context, before this I had (still have) a Stance E+ 1 in size M (the new Reign E+ 1 is an L) and before the Stance the last time I rode was in the 20th century:
  • The Shimano XT drivetrain feels much more precise than the SRAM SX in the Stance, but the latter has been through some knocks and some 1500km;
  • The Shimano XT brakes are way more powerful than the Stance’s 4 piston Shimano ones - I believe this is due to the XT lever, but in the end it is the whole package (the discs are the same SLX in both, if I’m not mistaken):
  • The Fox suspension and shock along with the increased travel and wider tires make this bike feel much more comfortable and attached to the ground - even when just dropping it dead it refuses to rebound;
  • Motor feels just as powerful (the Stance has a SyncDrive Sport with 70nm of torque), but the Reign is running lower pressure and grippier rubber, so that may take the extra 15nm - either way, I’ve never felt like I needed more power in any of the bikes, especially steep technical climbs where you’re not looking at how fast you’re going;
  • The Reign is bigger and it feels bigger (size M vs L, plus geometry differences), but so far I’ve had no trouble going as slow as needed on tight single track switchbacks;

Overall, as expected for someone who’s not racing down all the time and who actually has a lot of fun climbing steep technical stuff that would otherwise be impossible without a motor, the Reign feels much more comfortable and much more ass-saving/forgiving than the Stance. For my skill level and for my usual fitness rides (even though off-road with fun climbs) I definitely did not need to upgrade from the Stance to the Reign; however even I can appreciate the significant difference in performance, confidence and comfort, so I’m very happy (and thankful) with the purchase.

Had some pedal strikes at first, but now I got used to it and having set the shock sag correctly definitely helped: when my LBS asked for my weight to pre-tune the fork and shock I told them I should be around 82kg with equipment - turns out it had been a while since I last weighted myself and I was at 97kg, so I had to increase the shock’s pressure. I’m 183cm tall and I didn’t feel that the Medium Stance was wrong for me and the Large Reign feels great too (definitely roomier and more stable, but there are a lot of factors in play).

View attachment 80585

View attachment 80586

View attachment 80587

View attachment 80588

View attachment 80589

View attachment 80590

View attachment 80591

This cable looks super bad. In the old Reign e+ the angle at which it entered the socket was rotated 90 degrees. Is there any chance you put it at the wrong angle? Or that socket was installed incorrectly? This is like it used to look like:

oldReignCable.jpg

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
This cable looks super bad. In the old Reign e+ the angle at which it entered the socket was rotated 90 degrees. Is there any chance you put it at the wrong angle? Or that socket was installed incorrectly? This is like it used to look like:

View attachment 80641

Answering my own question. The old Reign had a socket at completely different angle. Pointing up towards the battery:
old.jpg

New one is pointing down. So basically 90 degrees change :/
new.JPG

I have my serious doubts if this socket could be rotated :(

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Answering my own question. The old Reign had a socket at completely different angle. Pointing up towards the battery:
View attachment 80642

New one is pointing down. So basically 90 degrees change :/
View attachment 80643

I have my serious doubts if this socket could be rotated :(
This is what happens when you have a project manager with low insight in what ppl are doing or just don’t care. Should have been noticed on the first prototype and fixed. It’s just to rotating the mounting holes.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
This is what happens when you have a project manager with low insight in what ppl are doing or just don’t care. Should have been noticed on the first prototype and fixed. It’s just to rotating the mounting holes.

I could take a look and try unscrewing those two small screws that hold the socket. But to really see how it's all done it would be probably needed to drop the whole motor.

I agree that there are some untested parts of the bike. So far I can tell that the remote wasn't tested with thicker gloves for sure. And that the walk assist wasn't tuned at all. Also the assigned button for walk assist is useless. Nothing that makes this bike bad but definitely a bit unfinished. Giant should DEFINITELY have something to say about this battery extender cable. In my opinion it will cause problems.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I could take a look and try unscrewing those two small screws that hold the socket. But to really see how it's all done it would be probably needed to drop the whole motor.

I agree that there are some untested parts of the bike. So far I can tell that the remote wasn't tested with thicker gloves for sure. And that the walk assist wasn't tuned at all. Also the assigned button for walk assist is useless. Nothing that makes this bike bad but definitely a bit unfinished. Giant should DEFINITELY have something to say about this battery extender cable. In my opinion it will cause problems.
Wondering if the remote is just buttons or if it has real communication. If it is just push button nothing is stopping ppl to design their own or hack in shimano remote.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles