Reign E+ 2022

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
I leave you a video going down in different type of RockGardens, from fast to more inclined and steeper. the reign e+ gives a lot of confident. Every day i feel better with the bike.

what a landscape! lots of off camber, but with lots of traction. looks amazing. especially from my part of the globe which is presently dark, cloudy and wet every day, and barely rideable trails. had to wear sunglasses just to watch the video.

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
Giant's US site shows that the Reign E+ 3 is/was available and units are going out to dealers across the country. Waiting for my LBS here in Los Angeles to get one in size S. The wait is excruciating!

GET OVER HERE

This color should look real nice with sunlight reflecting off it...

I have a deposit on a reign E+2 here in Utah, just got a call from lbs and they said giant said end of the year. Was march then april now end of year, lol. Test rode a +3 in dec, really sharp color, more of a copper orange in real life.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I have a deposit on a reign E+2 here in Utah, just got a call from lbs and they said giant said end of the year. Was march then april now end of year, lol. Test rode a +3 in dec, really sharp color, more of a copper orange in real life.
Just cancel then. Not worth the wait.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Download: Giant Reign e+ Battery lock by Nobrks
Shaving 320gr weight off;

381g
E79185F5-A0B8-4A64-98D9-93F09EAB141E.jpeg

53g + 10g bolts & nuts
7382DB2B-6FA1-46D4-837C-97D7B93C16CB.jpeg

Two tabs are securty locks in addition to clip
7C10F71F-A9AE-4119-915F-606835BD3815.jpeg

the holes on the side is for nuts.

Last edited:

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Come on. You're posting pictures without sharing the design? Don't be that guy! I'll gladly print it and test it myself.
There were some minor mitch match in the first design, I am working on a perfect fit model that I will share on Thingverse ;).
Original battery lock is made of 3mm SSt. o_O The weight saving potential cannot be ignored.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
There were some minor mitch match in the first design, I am working on a perfect fit model that I will share on Thingverse ;).
Original battery lock is made of 3mm SSt. o_O The weight saving potential cannot be ignored.

381 grams for this part is absolutely mental. Unnecessary to say the least.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
did the bike implode or something, what the hell is taking the review so long? at this rate that Kelly's will have a full review before the Reign.

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hopefully it will fit the Trance X as well! Very nice!

May 14, 2019
NSW
Just picked my e+2 up today. Anyone have any tips on the CODE R brakes? Mine feel rubbish. Squishy (pulling back almost to bar) and very rubbish stopping power.

Tried a brake bed in. Didn't make much difference.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Just picked my e+2 up today. Anyone have any tips on the CODE R brakes? Mine feel rubbish. Squishy (pulling back almost to bar) and very rubbish stopping power.

Sounds very much like air in the system. Ask the shop to rebleed them.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden

Sounds like they need a good bleed. That said I had Code R on a rental DH bike and I was not a fan.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
Thanks for the good & honest analysis. Any words on handling tight switchbacks and general fun factor?
No worries. Tight switchbacks were no issue at all at least comparing to the Rail. Wheelbase is a touch longer and whilst that is noticeable on real steep rocky sections in making the bike feel more confident, it didnt feel like a restriction on tighter stuff. Generally the handling of this bike with the associated high end suspension components feels top notch. I have zero complaints and I am looking forward to taking it to some of the bigger,faster downhill runs once the snow has gone. In terms of general fun factor, it jumps, drops, wheelies and bunny hops just the same as the Rail. Its a load of fun. I did many laps of 'The Roller coaster' in Finale over Christmas and it was, well, just like being on a roller coaster and not even breaking a sweat for this bike.

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Hello peoples!

Just joined because this week I got my new Giant Reign medium to go with my Ibis Ripmo and I'm super excited!

Changes
- Oneup 35mm carbon bar and 40mm stem
- specialized proper size seat
- oneup flats
- PNW dropper 150 mm and loam lever
- Assegai DD up front
- wolf tooth fat paw grips, always loved them

Haven't ridden it much because, well snow outside. Riding an ebike the first time just made me giggle. I also set up the Garmin 830 with it and love the fact it connected so easy and it shows the battery level, cadence and power output right on the stem cap mount.

36E8A4BE-CFFD-4D04-BFCF-EE903CB73493.jpeg

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Yo all. Update on my bike and some pics.

DSC_2035.jpg

DSC_2036.jpg

DSC_2038.jpg

What I changed so far:

- industry nine stem (40mm)
- kingdom titanium handlebar (780mm)
- hope 165mm cranks
- self made wheels: DT 240, EX 511, 32 spokes, brass nipples, magic
- galfer disc pads
- Giant 170mm dropper (originally 150mm)
- added Mudhugger FRX on the rear
- added Mudhugger EVO on the front
- 76 projects high flow valves
- Fidlock TWIST bottle 590ml
- XT 12 speed cassette

The original stem and handlebar are absolutely fine. I just had these two lying around and I didn't have to cut 800mm Giant handlebar to 780mm which I like. Cranks because I despise carbon cranks on any bicycle. Wheels because I need something that can actually dent instead of crack. Self made because my wheels are superior to any shop made wheels. Pads because Galfer is better. Dropper because 150mm is for shorter people. Mudguards because mudguards. Water bottle because I need to drink. XT cassette on micro spline because XD driver is the abomination of engineering. 76 valves because I have high hopes they will be better than normal Presta (we will see).

I decided to keep the carbon wheels as a winter/terror mud wheels. I put Shorty in MaxxGrip DD on the front winter wheel and HighRoller 2 MaxxGrip DH on the rear winter wheel. "Normal" wheels (for everything else than the worst mud and snow) have Assegai DD MaxxGrip up front and DHR2 MaxxTerra DD at the rear. On the pictures above the tire/wheel setup is a bit mixed up. But the front wheel is the winter wheel and it's absolutely spotless. Wet roots are still my nightmare but riding with Shorty in the snow is pure pleasure. Thanks to Mudhugger in the rear I don't look as if I shit myself any more.

As you see I still ride the thing and I like it more and more. Being able to actually practice some jumps and turns with actual speed in winter is absolutely mind blowing for me.

Some pics from a construction site of new hoops. The truing/building stand is made by my Dad (thanks Dad!).

DSC_1996.jpg

DSC_1995.jpg

DSC_1994.jpg

Last edited:

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
View attachment 80475

View attachment 80476

View attachment 80477
[/QUOTE]
Thats pretty sweet!

I'm wondering about these Giant e-TR1 wheels as I may upgrade them also but I'll give them a shot first to see how they feel. And I'd go aluminum as my other bike is all carbon and I'm not going to go all crazy on an ebike with light parts. In fact with parts shortages I've already got my Deore all steel cassette backup ready I just picked up for when needed and I love the fact that parts for the Reign will be cheap and heavy like the ebike gods intended.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Thats pretty sweet!

I'm wondering about these Giant e-TR1 wheels as I may upgrade them also but I'll give them a shot first to see how they feel. And I'd go aluminum as my other bike is all carbon and I'm not going to go all crazy on an ebike with light parts. In fact with parts shortages I've already got my Deore all steel cassette backup ready I just picked up for when needed and I love the fact that parts for the Reign will be cheap and heavy like the ebike gods intended.

Those Giant wheels are very well made. I invested in them actually a bit and bought micro spline driver for them before it leaves the shops forever. E0 comes with NX cassette that uses HG driver. Not future proof. That's why I got the micro spline idea.

But yeah. These are still carbon hoops. So if you ride in a rocky terrain and you still have any spark inside of you they will fail. For winter snow and mud bath they are genuinely unconditionally great though.

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Those Giant wheels are very well made. I invested in them actually a bit and bought micro spline driver for them before it leaves the shops forever. E0 comes with NX cassette that uses HG driver. Not future proof. That's why I got the micro spline idea.

But yeah. These are still carbon hoops. So if you ride in a rocky terrain and you still have any spark inside of you they will fail. For winter snow and mud bath they are genuinely unconditionally great though.
Thats good to hear about the Giant aluminum wheels and we have some pretty rocky stuff in Western Canada. Ive got it set up pretty much the way I like as I prefer Shimano and Fox and it was in my price range in the 1.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
First proper ride on my E+ 2 XL

Trail conditions: perfect, hard packed snow and ice, -6C. PRs destroyed everywhere.
Mods to the bike: DMR pedals and grips, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires. Flip chip set to high.
Battery usage: 35km, elevation gain 500m. Used 80% of battery, riding mostly on level 3, set at 200%
Reference bike: Kenevo 2020 S5

Pros: motor is fairly quiet, no clunking or other unwanted noise. A bit louder than the Brose. Pedals smooth, not as silky smooth as Brose, but really nice. Pedal response is immediate, which I absolutely love. The bike itself is also really quiet, no rattling etc. The bike looks big, but it's pretty nimble and feels light. Suspension works great. Stock components are good and I have no need to replace seat, stem and handlebar or brakes. Removable battery!

Cons: Ridecontrol Ergo 3 remote is not ergonomic. No positive feedback from buttons and they are small. Have to visually verify that the power setting has changed. Auto mode felt weird, have to test it more. Battery consumption seems a bit high, but it could be because of the conditions. But as long as I'm able to do 40km with these settings I'm happy.

Overall I'm very happy with the bike. I wanted a bit more nimble bike than the Kenevo, and with a removable battery. I was a bit afraid of the Yamaha motor as I had no experience of it. But it turned out to be really good.

giant.jpg

mrandrewau

Jan 10, 2022
Canada
i would suggest against doing ridewrap. imo it is not a good product. there is not enough adhesive in it to stick properly. i spent several wasted hours on it, only to have most the edges not stick down and have to pull nearly all the pieces off.

this product is 100 times easier to install. you can get major areas of your bike done in an hour with no frustration and much less cost

Thanks for the tip. I think I would agree, just from seeing the pics of ridewrap, it seems there are too many small pieces that appear to peel off easily. I guess it also depends on the type of surface it's trying to adhere to. For any matte finish, I can imagine it be extremely difficult to stick properly. Luckily, I have the E+ 2 which is a glossy smooth surface. Anyways, I'll hold off while my brother tries it on on his.

mrandrewau

Jan 10, 2022
Canada
First proper ride on my E+ 2 XL

Trail conditions: perfect, hard packed snow and ice, -6C. PRs destroyed everywhere.
Mods to the bike: DMR pedals and grips, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires. Flip chip set to high.
Battery usage: 35km, elevation gain 500m. Used 80% of battery, riding mostly on level 3, set at 200%
Reference bike: Kenevo 2020 S5

Pros: motor is fairly quiet, no clunking or other unwanted noise. A bit louder than the Brose. Pedals smooth, not as silky smooth as Brose, but really nice. Pedal response is immediate, which I absolutely love. The bike itself is also really quiet, no rattling etc. The bike looks big, but it's pretty nimble and feels light. Suspension works great. Stock components are good and I have no need to replace seat, stem and handlebar or brakes. Removable battery!

Cons: Ridecontrol Ergo 3 remote is not ergonomic. No positive feedback from buttons and they are small. Have to visually verify that the power setting has changed. Auto mode felt weird, have to test it more. Battery consumption seems a bit high, but it could be because of the conditions. But as long as I'm able to do 40km with these settings I'm happy.

Overall I'm very happy with the bike. I wanted a bit more nimble bike than the Kenevo, and with a removable battery. I was a bit afraid of the Yamaha motor as I had no experience of it. But it turned out to be really good.

View attachment 80516

Nice. Do keep in mind that battery is far less efficient in the cold. At freezing temp (0C), efficiency is -20%. I imagine at -6C it's probably in the -25% range.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles