Mission Control Mission Control App - Do you use it?

Mission Control App - Do you use it?

• I use it all the time to log rides and to tune the bike

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I occasionally use it to tune the bike

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • I’ve only used it a couple of times to log rides

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I’ve used it to update my bike firmware but not much else

Votes: 39 19.4%
  • I’ve never used it

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Do you use the Specialized Mission Control App?
  • What do you like about it?
  • What do you not like about it?
  • What would you want to see added to it to improve?
  • What other feedback do you have, positive / negative
Add your feedback here and it will be sent to Specialized to help improve it for future releases.

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Add your feedback here and it will be sent to Specialized to help improve it for future releases.
I like the fact I can tune each mode & download rides to Strava. Also like the smart control HR feature where I can set a HR and go for a workout ride with the bike auto adjusting support. Would like to see tuning at 1% increments rather than 5% and a beacon/tracking feature as on Strava. A route planner would also be useful.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Another satisfied BLEvo user for tuning and logging.

Wish list: ability to export ride and GPS data to a pc, then ability to see ride parameters corresponding to my location on the GPS map in a large monitor. Not all BLEvo data, just the basics like motor power, rider power, cadence, speed. My simple Garmin watch does this with Garmin Connect for my runs.

Hopyyz

Nov 27, 2020
San Jose / Bend
  • What do you like about it? Nice interface for tuning, connects to bike quickly, good data on motor/battery health/fw status
  • What do you not like about it? Doesn't consistently connect to my HR monitor, have to unpair and reconnect most rides. No issues with garmin 935 or 810.
  • What would you want to see added to it to improve? Support for SL firmware updates, ability to see all data on saved rides.
  • What other feedback do you have, positive / negative -- GPS track is choppy on iphone 11(large intervals between points), once connected HR monitor drops out sometimes (garmin has no issue with same strap on same rides).

dowroa

Sep 5, 2020
USA
What do you not like about it? Not all the info that blevo provides. See above. Also it’s incredibly dim to not have ebikes reporting location. This would be a huge theft deterrent

Can't do that. It has already been reported, in direct public forums that @Rob Rides EMTB hosted for the launch of the Turbo Levo SL, that some riders DO NOT want their location or information tracked. Therefore, I doubt this will ever be a first party function due to data privacy concerns.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I much prefer BLEvo because in advanced setting I can have it adjust assist not only for my HR but also leg wattage - which my bad knee needs

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think it's a really nice app. It's clean, intuitive, easy to use. You can change the display fields just by holding your finger on them and a drop down appears to select what you want the field to display.

Improvements ?

It tracks and displays your speed and distance based on wheel revolutions. Depending what tyre I'm running, what conditions I'm riding in and how I'm riding this is normally wildly inaccurate compared to Strava using GPS. So it would be nice to have an option somewhere to "Calculate Speed/Distance using GPS".

A new display field to assist and train riders to get the most of their bike/range/longevity. An "Efficiency" field. Be it a % or a bar like the Shimano E8000 display. I've noticed when riding with certain injuries I tend to subconsciously drop my cadence. This in turn leads to far lower motor efficiency/range with more energy being converted to heat rather than motion, which also strains the motor more and increases wear. It would be nice if it could take battery power being used, rider power being input, motor power being input, cadence and maybe if necessary climb/descent/speed ? Not sure how practical and easy this would be as it would also have to support 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, Mahle, Future Options.

One really useful and probably under used function in the app is the ability to set how far you want to go or how high your want to climb and let the app control the motor power to make sure you reach your target without a flat battery. I've used this with great success to get my longest ride - though I did the last few km's with a flat battery :) Not because of an app fault. Because my phone went flat. To enable the torch on my phone you had to double flick the phone. So whilst riding with the phone on the bars, sometimes this happens. I noticed it once on the ride and turned it off. But not the second time. So with the screen and the torch, the phone battery went flat. Therefore, it would be nice if the app also monitored the phone battery for the expected duration of the ride and warned if it thought there wouldn't be sufficient to complete so you could turn the screen off, turn your torch off :) dim the display .. who knows - it gives you options.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Only using Blevo which i like very much. Not interested in making the walk assist worse or break som other mods I have done so no firmware updates for my 2019 bike :)

Sepp62

Nov 21, 2018
Germany
I currently spend some time on the bluetooth interface of my Levo:

This week, I managed to decode some more data and write parameters (as assistance level) back to the bike.

Probably somebody will use my work (which is open source and supports cheap ESP32 hardware) to do all the nice features we talk about here.

The library gives access to (nearly) all visible data in MC. A new example app with touch screen functionality on M5Core2 will be available in 1 or 2 weeks.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

Not really, I used it to tune the bike. Now they're set, I never use.

1. Looks nice, able to tune the bike.
2. Firmware update is a nice touch although not entirely reliable to my knowledge.

1. Crashing, ride logs crash frequently across a number of people, a number of devices etc
2. Location and other personal data logging to Specialized in the US, just don't log any locational/personal info unless the rider specifically agrees in advance (and Specialized please don't give us any of the crap that other brands give "if you don't share, you cant use the product.") - Specialized's privacy policy deeply concerns me (I'm aware others don't care, but I do).
3. The product feels immature and limited in use. Consider what the core features should be and expand on those - invest development resources in building 3rd party features natively into the app.

1. Smart control for the bike (dynamic tuning dependent on route/rider stress levels etc) - an expansion of the Smart Control feature in place today.
2. Fill out the navigation features to match those of 3rd party applications.
3. Features from BLEvo!
4. Security lock to prevent bike from being able to be turned on without code.
5. Not strictly a Mission Control update, but EMTB and Magic Tour style modes for the bike would be a killer firmware addition; then being able to enable/disable using Mission Control would be the icing on the cake.
6. Add the ability to charge to a specific percentage; for example charge to 85% and then stop charging, then able to select "full charge" for long ride occasions. ( @Zimmerframe gets 50% of the prize if this is implemented ! )

N/A

Last edited:

dowroa

Sep 5, 2020
USA
- Yes, albeit I am in my first week with it
    • First party, approved, clean UI that gives me the option to use a phone directly to get the important / core information I need for a side
    • Really good if you have old phones just to throw on the car and get information about the bike
    • Ideally, this information would be available on a smart watch as well as intergrated with other IoT devices made for your bike (headlight enable / disable?, 2FA location tracking opt-in for your bike, etc?)
    • I may not be aware of this being possible on Andriod watches (at the moment) but this is what I would ideally want to see available
    • My use-case would enable HR and monitoring to be done on an interface I don't have to have strapped to my handle bars. If you are jumping, going over rough terrain or in any way hammering along, a watch for me is a much safer location than an handlebar mounted phone
    • Watch support
    • Support for other applications not currently listed, like Trail Forks (pinkbike)
    • Specialized is collecting data. If we are going to do this, AT LEAST use that data transformation to something USEFUL to the end user. Make suggestions you opt-into.. bike performance / tuning suggestions... something that becomes a reason to use the app other than just wrote statistics monitoring
    • For a core, 1st party application, it is a clean, simple interface

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
  • Ability to programme power settingg
  • Firmware upgrade without having trek back to LBS (awesome!)

• User units are not stated (I don't just mean metric or imperial )..... m or cm or mm? Or inches? Or feet and inches? Or maybe decimal feet?

• Security'. Code to start and it stays working all the while it's in bluetooth range of your phone..... and a remote power off as well obviously in case a tea leaf makes off with it
  • A simple RAG bar display for optimising your ride. Cadence, power input, etc
  • A learning mode which tracks your input and provides an optimised variable level of smart support depending on the terrain
  • As above but a training mode that gives a little less support to improve strength and fitness
  • More data on a simple display like Sepp62 did
  • Two way smart watch integration
  • More watch output data as it's just cadence and speed as raw numbers
  • Customisable display

• firmware update ability is so good although I was bricking it that I could end up bricking it ?
  • No issues but I like the simplicity of it.

Jun 20, 2020
Belgium Flanders
Look at Blevo or buy Blevo
Since a lot off People are riding with a gps like Garmin, smartphone,wahoo , i would like you see import gxp and adjust this to a smart ride combind with your heartrate settings.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
    • Simple and easy to use interface ( unlike BLEvo )
    • Mainly missing features around training and planning
    • firmware update for SL
    • apple watch support ( hey could even partner with apple with specialized being the apple of bikes - would rather see specialized than nike branding and cycling being the focus in a configuration and better app support )
    • ability to engage motor only if connected to paired phone - to aid with theft. overriding need to be in place thats also secure - probably original pairing should still be possible with code That is only available in the manual or from dealer
    • ability to work with Trailforks and even with planning rides on the desktop - imagine based on trail data and fitness based on recent rides, specialized can suggest effectiveness of ride as next step in training etc. especially when traveling with bikes to unfamiliar territory this would be really useful - ive over extended myself on a trip
    • suggested default settings for eco, trail and turbo based on recent usage - like an auto calibration
    • ability to work with sram axs
    • have some battery management and battery health functionality. For example if you are charging to go on a ride 100% charge is fine but if you are charging for long or short term term storage then 75% ( or whatever ideal is ) with reminders to recharge If you don’t use the bike.
    • After pairing a HR monitor, mission control should just connect to it before a ride or at least ask if there is a previously connected HR monitor in devices. There should be something that shows heart rate as well.

• Changes to things such as warranty, recalls etc pushed out in app

Last edited:

Ed_M

Patreon
Aug 9, 2019
Wokingham
Most of the time I use Komoot or Blevo whilst riding. Mission control does not have the correct features to make it usable for me at the moment. I do however use it for firmware upgrades. There is no reason it could not surpass the other apps.
    • Aways connects to the bike first time.
    • Firmware upgrade/downgrade possible
    • Komoot/Strava upload (however don't use as the ride length is always incorrect).
    • Distance is not accurate and needs an option to use GPS from phone (main reason I don't use it).
    • Colour scheme and font size makes it difficult to read the units above the numbers when riding. Could do with a UI redesign on the ride dashboard.
    • As above, accessibility options on iOS don't make any change in the app. Really poor for people with visual disabilities.
    • Seems to not record all the GPS points and you often end up with a triangular route.
    • It does not integrate with Apple Health, so not able to see the heart rate from my Apple Watch.
    • Proper turn by turn route planning embedded directly into the app (and in preference to having two apps open). Ability to ride saved routes.
    • Apple Watch support.
    • Web portal to see your bike details, original spec and ride history.
    • Info on specific warranty/recall updates available for your bike.
  • What other feedback do you have, positive / negative.
    • Most products revolve around an app ecosystem. Time for Specialized to act like a proper app developer and not just a bike manufacturer driven by unit sales. There is an opportunity to increase revenue through decent in-app features. There is no reason that Specialized cannot do this if the have a core app strategy in the business.
    • A faster release cadence, proper devops development with regular drops like lots of other software vendors do would be great.
    • A Customer influence portal would be good where people can submit and vote on ideas, and see them turn into backlog items.

bjmc

Dec 17, 2019
California
Negatives:
1. Each time I log on, the app wants me to register my bike and also wants me to allow location permissions. Even though I say "Keep turned off" I keep getting these alerts. Please disable this feature. Ideally, should only need to hit "Keep turned off" once.

2. Integrate the Angi Crash Sensor feature that is present on the Specialized Ride app into Mission Control. I have been using Angi for about 3 months and I love it - as does my wife! I do not want to have to sign in to both apps for every ride. Plus, Mission Control and Ride do not always work well together when both are active.

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
I like the look and stability of the app. I’d like to be able to have most of the functionality of Blevo especially Smart Power. I’d also like to see the ability to import my mates rides to follow like KOMOOT. I’d like the MC battery health to be more accurate, it’s clearly buffered and only moves in 10% increments.

Kristian

Oct 6, 2020
Fairfax, CA
Works well. Clean interface. Relatively reliable. OTA upgrades. Ride tracking. Strava uploads. Auto-on feature. Tuning. It's pretty awesome. Just missing one critical feature for me. I just have to remember to kill it after use so it doesn't keep reading GPS.
Not much to say here. Would be nice to get the latest information when away from the bike (e.g. last firmware, etc).
Sometimes my chest strap does not reconnect - but may be strap.
Conflicts with Strava - can't run both. Why would I want to? See next Q.
See design improvement note in last question.
Feature add: Beacon! I have a premium Strava subscription for one reason: Beacon. I go out on long rides alone in the wilderness. Some places may not have other bikers. I'd like to be able to send a beacon (just like Strava) to people at home so they know where to send the Rangers if I don't come home/respond. Please add!
I find that Strava and MC somehow conflict when running at the same time - they both go a little crazy GPS-wise.
iPhone 7.

Feature add: On dashboard - I'd love to see cadence. I am trying to get up to 85 because that is where motor is efficient. But I have to guess or count.

Feature add: How about some kind of efficiency measure? Based on cadence, turbo usage, etc... tips to make battery go longer?

Feature Add: What I REALLY want is to have you automatically tell me how much battery at the end of a ride in the ride log. That would be awesome. If you want to go further? I'd love to see battery drop rate along route - that would enable me to do more sophisticated route planning. All the info is there - it's just not surfaced.

Design add: I would add a little bit of a hierarchy in the tuning between the things that are setting specific (e.g. eco, trail, Turbo) and the other two, Acceleration and Shuttle- just a line or different color background so it is more clear that those items are not setting specific and apply to all settings.
  • What other feedback do you have, positive/negative
I am surprised it is so good and simple. Congrats Specialized!

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Works well. Clean interface. Relatively reliable. OTA upgrades. Ride tracking. Strava uploads. Auto-on feature. Tuning. It's pretty awesome. Just missing one critical feature for me. I just have to remember to kill it after use so it doesn't keep reading GPS.
Not much to say here. Would be nice to get the latest information when away from the bike (e.g. last firmware, etc).
Sometimes my chest strap does not reconnect - but may be strap.
Conflicts with Strava - can't run both. Why would I want to? See next Q.
See design improvement note in last question.
Feature add: Beacon! I have a premium Strava subscription for one reason: Beacon. I go out on long rides alone in the wilderness. Some places may not have other bikers. I'd like to be able to send a beacon (just like Strava) to people at home so they know where to send the Rangers if I don't come home/respond. Please add!
I find that Strava and MC somehow conflict when running at the same time - they both go a little crazy GPS-wise.
iPhone 7.

Feature add: On dashboard - I'd love to see cadence. I am trying to get up to 85 because that is where motor is efficient. But I have to guess or count.

Feature add: How about some kind of efficiency measure? Based on cadence, turbo usage, etc... tips to make battery go longer?

Feature Add: What I REALLY want is to have you automatically tell me how much battery at the end of a ride in the ride log. That would be awesome. If you want to go further? I'd love to see battery drop rate along route - that would enable me to do more sophisticated route planning. All the info is there - it's just not surfaced.

Design add: I would add a little bit of a hierarchy in the tuning between the things that are setting specific (e.g. eco, trail, Turbo) and the other two, Acceleration and Shuttle- just a line or different color background so it is more clear that those items are not setting specific and apply to all settings.
  • What other feedback do you have, positive/negative
I am surprised it is so good and simple. Congrats Specialized!
Cadence is available on the dashboard

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
In addition to my earlier comments Id like to add:

having some battery management and battery health functionality. For example if you are charging to go on a ride 100% charge is fine but if you are charging for long or short term term storage then 75% ( or whatever ideal is ) with reminders to recharge If you don’t use the bike.

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
I use a Garmin Fenix to record my ride.
I would like to see the integration between the two.
Be able to transfer my ride from Garmin to the Mission Control app and see more stats about my ride (like % on Eco, Trail, Boost) and also link to Strava with auto EBike Ride import ...

Haven't used it much to know if any is possible to be honest.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As Golden Cheetah is only desktop based, it would be nice to have some similar analysis available via Mission Control - even if it was via a web option where you could analyse your ride afterwards. I think we've already suggested some of this earlier on in the thread, but more basic.

Though in reality, how many of us would use these regularly enough to justify the development ??? :unsure:

For Instance (these are a Kenevo ride from last year analysed in Golden Cheetah) :

Monitoring the time you spend at certain speeds for example.

cheetah1.png

Or more importantly, Cadence motoring - when I had a low cadence issue from injury :

cheetah2.png

Last edited:

Rodders1

Jun 17, 2020
Cardiff

Security lockout to prevent the bike from being able to be turned on without a code/pin.' and code recovery by login only to help cut down on rampant theft going on everywhere.

EMTB on the Bosch is really useful mode, call it what you like!

Apart from that, just ride it until it wears out :)

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
Security lockout to prevent the bike from being able to be turned on without a code/pin.' and code recovery by login only to help cut down on rampant theft going on everywhere.

EMTB on the Bosch is really useful mode, call it what you like!

Apart from that, just ride it until it wears out :)
Yes, this would be good, if I recall correctly, with the bosh Kiox, if the unit is not on the bike, the motor won't turn on, and if someone stole the the bike without the unit, that thief won't be able to purchase a new unit.
A bit of piece of mind when the bike sleep in a shed.
Not sure if implementing this to a phone app is a good idea though (if the phone battery is dead), but a code on the unit itself maybe?

EMTB sound like useful

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles