Just say no to 29ers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I still ride moar 26" than any other wheelsize...
Do i lose my shit about manufacturers selling 29er Emtb?
Nope!
I just get on with riding my bikes. As always.

#264LYF
#doyoueven26bro?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I still ride moar 26" than any other wheelsize...
Do i lose my shit about manufacturers selling 29er Emtb?
Nope!
I just get on with riding my bikes. As always.

#264LYF
#doyoueven26bro?

#justsaynotolongchainstays
#illbeback29erstrendy’s

5dc1c6b159bf5b40835904e7.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
my 2010 26" DH bike has 445mm stays.
So please remind us exactly why you're crying about 450mm stays on a (much longer) 29er?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
my 2010 26" DH bike has 445mm stays.
So please remind us exactly why you're crying about 450mm stays on a (much longer) 29er?

Gary you’re talking a DH bike and it’s even near 455

@Jamsxr we can joke, light trolling and get sarcastic but as I far I know I didn’t insult nobody

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Please explain what you're crying about 450mm chainstays on a 29er enduro bike for?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You need some large chainstays for DH no matter how old it is. Not really on enduro. 445 is ok, 455 is for a gentle handling ebike, just as 29ers

you're absolutely clueless.
go and look up the chainstay length of the bike I posted a pic of Sam Hill next to earlier.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Please explain what you're crying about 450mm chainstays on a 29er enduro bike for?

First im not cryin. This is a forum, I’m not in the Specialized factory with a justsayno29 poster.

I explained before, the golden calf comes with the integrated battery, all follows. Non integrated ebikes are still very competitive both performance and price. But they’re about extinction.

Same on 29ers, golden calf put on their ebike, this year more and more brands do the same. 450> and 29ers are good for some people, not for others. I don’t want it goes the same way the integrated battery’s. You can fit 29er on shorter chainstays but you’re limited on size so 2.6 is the new plus, it needs 455 or so. Thank god mullets seems to hold well the trend.

Dont fool yourself, long chainstays, 29ers, are gentle bikes for made anyone easier rides, smallest manufactures that can go on their way, that made ebikes with no compromises, don’t fit 29ers on their ebikes.

edit: fuck Sam Hill, Schurter 27.5 2016.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Looking forward too seeing footage of @Eddy Current riding a 27.5 Emtb in next years EWS and making Sam Hill's race runs look "gentle" because he's on a 450mm stay 29er.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Looking forward too seeing footage of @Eddy Current riding a 27.5 Emtb in next years EWS and making Sam Hill's race runs look "gentle" because he's on a 450mm stay 29er.

if you looking forward for that footage, seems to me not in a new 27.5 ebike. That’s what all im talking about.

By the way you can tie Mayweather one hand and still will be winning, doesn’t mean boxing with one hand is better than two. ?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Oh... so now you're saying you can't buy a new 2020 27.5 emtb with Enduro geometry (and sub 450mm stays)?

Blinded by your tinfoil hat?

Vitus E-Sommet VRS E-Bike (XT 1x12) 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles

COMMENCAL 2020 | META POWER SX

c’mon Gary ... you can find water in the desert as well, non integrated are a few and the next year will be less. In 2022 none

29ers ebikes will grow over the years and the 27.5 will be marginal

What Emtb do you actually ride @Eddy Current ?

It’s an BH Atom X but... I want a budget ebike to try the motor in a long term, not a day rental

it is 460 chainstays and its hard to wheelie, hard to pop, cumbersome in corners, kinematics can improve this but not make magic, 460 chainstays will never handle like 440 and so never 29ers will handle like 27.5

its physical laws Jesus christ how could someone argue against that?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You bought this:

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xMC8xMDc2MC1kYW4za25sdTQ2dDQtYmhfYmlrZXNfYXRvbXhfZHNjZjg5ODctb3JpZ2luYWwuanBn.jpg

And you're comparing 29er enduro bikes to it because they share similar chainstay lengths?
WTF?
I suggest you actually ride a few more 29ers. (and teach yourself to wheelie while you're at it)
That shit show doesn't ride badly *just* because of it's chainstay length.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
You bought this:

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xMC8xMDc2MC1kYW4za25sdTQ2dDQtYmhfYmlrZXNfYXRvbXhfZHNjZjg5ODctb3JpZ2luYWwuanBn.jpg

And you're comparing 29er enduro bikes to it because they share similar chainstay lengths?
WTF?
I suggest you actually ride a few more 29ers. (and teach yourself to wheelie while you're at it)
That shit show doesn't ride badly *just* because of it's chainstay length.

What did I say few post before? Geometry can do a better job, but two bikes carefully designed the one with shorters chainstays and 27.5 is going to be always more lively and agile than a larger one, that’s pyschal laws. On the other hand it would be less stable. I tried the Atom X with the Shimano, is the same bike with “shorter measurements” and it’s was way more maneuverly and nimble

But ebikes are getting point to be “user friendly“ rather than a raw machine, thats undeniable Gary. And that’s in part because 29ers and geometry. And for 40th time is not bad the options but is going to be hard to find a true e-enduro in the future, that’s my concern, not 27.5 or 29

Or are you the kind of person that thinks a BMW M3 is a racing car?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
What did I say few post before? Geometry can do a better job, but two bikes carefully designed the one with shorters chainstays and 27.5 is going to be always more lively and agile than a larger one, that’s pyschal laws. On the other hand it would be less stable. I tried the Atom X with the Shimano, is the same bike with “shorter measurements” and it’s was way more maneuverly and nimble

But ebikes are getting point to be “user friendly“ rather than a raw machine, thats undeniable Gary. And that’s in part because 29ers and geometry. And for 40th time is not bad the options but is going to be hard to find a true e-enduro in the future, that’s my concern, not 27.5 or 29

Or are you the kind of person that thinks a BMW M3 is a racing car?

You’re rolling around on the eBike equivalent of a fiat multipla talking about race cars ?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
You’re rolling around on the eBike equivalent of a fiat multipla talking about race cars ?

I ride several Levos and other 29ers long chainstays and ain’t what I call nimble, they are not a dead weight, they are nice, but more on the comfy and balanced side than raw side.

Anything with wheels you throw Into a steep rolls ...

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Ok keep ridin your 29ers straight line plows if you happy

Ebikes born like even my grandmother can climb that, even my grandmother can descend that is next

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't have a 29er Ed. (do keep up, eh?)

But I'd put good money on me being able to destroy you on any 27.5 emtb of your choosing in DH turns on a modern 150-170mm travel trail/Enduro 29er. eg. nukeproof mega 290 or a Meta 29.
(both of which I've ridden extensively, while you on the other hand clearly have zero actual experience)

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I don't have a 29er Ed. (do keep up, eh?)

But I'd put good money on me being able to destroy you on any 27.5 emtb of your choosing in DH turns on a modern 150-170mm travel trail/Enduro 29er. eg. nukeproof mega 290 or a Meta 29.
(both of which I've ridden extensively, while you on the other hand clearly have zero actual experience)

But your are talking now about normal bikes half the weight men! and these bikes still got some wild dna

I say no to 29ers that turn ebikes in a mainstream product. Because a 29er is way more railed than a 27.5 (a train is too) and a 455 is way more stable than 440 etc etc ... ebikes are getting easier, safer, not faster or funnier. The new Levo better than the old? Where on earth? Magical kinematics? Do you like gravel too? :ROFLMAO:

Say what you want but the best bike on 29ers with long chainstays is not more nimble than the best 27.5 with short chainstays. It’s the golden calf marketing

Is like when you said you can change any suspension behave by tuning with psi and spacers ... no sir! the linkages and suspension arquitecture is the main behave factor, you can “win” me with words here, but you never will defeat physichal laws not by “words” neither with facts. Mainly because nobody can defeat psychical laws.

Third page and you still dont get it or don’t want to get it ...

Just say yes to mullets, best of both world I guess

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Say what you want but the best bike on 29ers with long chainstays is not more nimble than the best 27.5 with short chainstays. It’s the golden calf marketing
You realise many of the 27.5 bikes with the ability to run 2.8 tires are actually designed for 29er wheels? They just make the clearances a tad wider to fit the balloon tires.

Is like when you said you can change any suspension behave by tuning with psi and spacers ... no sir! the linkages and suspension arquitecture is the main behave factor, you can “win” me with words here, but you never will defeat physichal laws not by “words” neither with facts. Mainly because nobody can defeat psychical laws.
Actually, a very large proportion of the suspension architecture out there is pure Shiite and only custom tuned shocks make it work even half way decent.

Just say yes to mullets, best of both world I guess
Perhaps the worst of both worlds - or at least munting decent 27.5 or 29er geometry.
That one can 'slacken' a bike by mulleting it is correct, however with 27.5 and running large volume tires that pretty much kills the benefit.
If you run 2.6 or smaller tires you actually change the way the suspension was designed to work. Considering how badly some bikes are designed that of course might actually be a benefit.

Reactions: CjP

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
This thread is nuts. Regardless of the relative lengths of the CS (and other geometric considerations). We’ve not even mention centre of gravity yet etc. The problem is that this can all be over thought ad infinitum.

So, regardless of all of the above which can be discussed forever, the premise is just not correct. 27.5 are just not disappearing. What we’re actually witnessing is the mainstream might go with what works for a much larger market (and the EMTB market is expanding very rapidly) there are a large number of smaller companies out there that offer more variety. @Eddy Current, just buy from them (it appears BH have gone for climbing ability at the expense of playfulness - that just seems to be their thing).

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Opinion is not fact. What works for one person, will not work for every person.
If you find what works for you great, but don’t state your experience and anecdotal evidence as the way they things should be for everyone else.
Pick a wheel size and go on with your life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles