It’s in the details, the bits and bobs you can’t ride without

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Let’s talk about sealant.
I was once a disciple of Stan’s, but once the Specialized plus size tires came out I had to try something else.
The Stan’s sealant would seep through the side wall of the tire. I tried a few different sealants and some worked better or worse, but when Intried this stuff, it was truly something special.

View attachment 3789
No seepage, non-corrosive and it seals holes an 1/8” in diameter.
No flats ever again

Thats the tires fault not stans fault - I had some bontrager tires that leaked on the sidewalls

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
No it’s Stans fault too, there are other sealants that don’t leak through the sidewalls

AS a matter of fact I believe Stan’s is a shitty product, I have a brand new new Maxxis Ardent and it is also leaking like hell multiple places

1499F3A9-CDCA-41C4-B729-E77EE770B1F7.jpeg

Karsten

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Noticed stan’s get all watery with a new tire.
All the “sticky” stuff glued against inside of the tire.
So after a short period I take the “water” out and have the put new sealant inside.
I have 1 more canister stan’s, next time it will be a different brand

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you shaking the bottle enough?

The only tyres I have that *sweat* through the sidewalls are non tubeless tyres. it's not a big deal. They hold pressure fine.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Gary,

My tire is a brand new Maxxis TR Ardent and it is leaking in at least 20 spots and not holding pressure and I did shake the can very well prior to injecting it.

When that is said, why does it not stop the leaks in the first place, it keeps leaking in the same spot - Making me believe that it is absolutely useless when I get a real puncture!

Karsten

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
All my Schwalbes and the one Maxxis I've tried "sweat". I don't know what fluid was in the bike when I got it but I'm using Slime and BikeHut sealant at the moment, it all "sweats".

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TR should hold pressure with NO sealant

so irrelivent of the sealant type summin's up with your set-up

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
his tyres are part of the "set up"

His set up is not holding pressure. Ergo something's wrong with it.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

Yes sure something is wrong and I have already reached out to the shop who sold me the tire - My question is why do my Stans not seal all those tiny small holes in the side wall of the tire?

I mean I might as well save the money as if I get a real puncture I'm having to put a tube in anyway.

Karsten

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

That's bollocks and you know it. No matter how good you are at setting up tubeless if the tyre sidewalls are porous there's nothing you can do to fix that except keep adding fluid until all the holes are blocked or fit a tube. That's not a set up problem, it's a part problem.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
That's bollocks and you know it. No matter how good you are at setting up tubeless if the tyre sidewalls are porous there's nothing you can do to fix that except keep adding fluid until all the holes are blocked or fit a tube. That's not a set up problem, it's a part problem.

Agree - its a tire defect -

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Maxis do seem to have a few manufacturing problems compared with other makes
I’ve had porous walls on some of the lighter version of conti tyres the race king and race version of the trail king took a good few days to seal the walls and needed more sealant
I finding the cafe latex sealant very good

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wind your neck in Dom.
"
"set-up
ˈsɛtʌp/

noun
informal
noun: set-up; plural noun: set-ups; noun: setup; plural noun: setups
  1. 1.
    the way in which something, especially an organization or equipment, is organized, planned, or arranged.
    "would you feel comfortable in a team-teaching set-up?"
    synonyms:system, structure, organization, arrangement, framework, format, layout, configuration, composition; More
    • an organization or arrangement.
      "a set-up called Film Education"
      synonyms:eek:rganization, group, body, concern, agency, association, syndicate, operation, movement; More

• a set of equipment needed for a particular activity or purpose.
      "I have a recording set-up in my house"

By "Set up" I mean sum of the parts PLUS the process. Not just the process.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Wind your neck in Dom
Where's the full stop? If you're going to go all grammar Nazi, I suggest you remember to terminate sentences correctly.

With regards to the tubeless issue, you're just being pedantic for the sake of it. Now that you're back I was hoping that you'd keep the trolling to STW, but I guess that was too much to expect?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's a communication issue. Not a gramatical one.
You blew up all of your own doing.
There was no trolling involved.

I've added full stops for you now to make peace

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
all tubless tyres will hold pressure without sealant some rims will leak without sealant if the tape is not wide enough.
i have 3 spesh hillbillys sitting in the bike shed now been inflated for a week with no sealant and pressure hasnt changed (more or less) thing is what does the term tubless ready mean? is that different from tubless?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
hmmmm correct me if I am wrong please....

If there is sealant seeping out of the sidewalls of a 'tubeless ready' tyre. Surely in theory that means if you inflated the same tyre with just air........ then that air would seep out of the sidewalls of the same tubeless ready tyre.

or I am missing some weird physical property that tyres have that I am currently unaware of.... apologies if I am.......

If I am not, then surely the tubeless ready tyre is faulty?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
hmmmm correct me if I am wrong please....

If there is sealant seeping out of the sidewalls of a 'tubeless ready' tyre. Surely in theory that means if you inflated the same tyre with just air........ then that air would seep out of the sidewalls of the same tubeless ready tyre.

or I am missing some weird physical property that tyres have that I am currently unaware of.... apologies if I am.......

If I am not, then surely the tubeless ready tyre is faulty?

Well we are all wrong, according to the bike store the seeping is perfectly normal for a tubeless tire.......This is the answer I just got from them:

Hello Karsten,

that tire is not defective, this is normal for a tubeless tire.

You can ride that tire tubeless, that is no problem, and it won´t loos air because of this.

If you don't want that tire you can return it to us and we will try to make a warranty claim, but the new tire will have the same issue.

Best regards,
Daniel Service

Bitte Originaltext bei Antwort nicht löschen.
Es gelten unsere allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen.

Idiots....I have already explained that air pressure goes from 45 Psi to 0 Psi in less than 24 hours.

Karsten

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
AS a matter of fact I believe Stan’s is a shitty product, I have a brand new new Maxxis Ardent and it is also leaking like hell multiple places

View attachment 5050

Karsten
But that’s a fault with the tyre , if fluid is passing through the tyre wall , maybe a better fluid would seal it up faster , but it’s the tyre at fault

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The thing i cant ride without is inner tubes -Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C/TR - 22 psi, no punctures in over 1000 miles.

Couldn't be bothered to go tubeless when i first got the bike, figured i would get round to it but never did, and haven't bothered on my hardtail either, though i am less optimistic on that not getting a puncture.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Unless you're a biffer or ride thorny trails I'm not hugely surprised you've been puncture free those tyres are DD casing, and the tubes I removed were over 300g each

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The tires are on their last legs now, so will probably go tubeless when i replace em - was pleasantly surprised having been tubeless for years on most bikes. As you say they are burly/heavy as feck though.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Noticed stan’s get all watery with a new tire.
All the “sticky” stuff glued against inside of the tire.
So after a short period I take the “water” out and have the put new sealant inside.
I have 1 more canister stan’s, next time it will be a different brand

Brilliant suggestion, I did just that yesterday and since then no leaking out the sidewall and tire have not lost a single Psi over night. This confirms my previous statement; Stans is a shitty product for the above reasons!

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Glad you got it sorted but i have to say i found stans to be pretty good, i never had any leaks that it couldnt fix, i even transfer it from tyre to tyre as im changing them, i almost never check to top up
What works is what works i guess

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles