Ebike tire showdown. Michelin E wild vs Schwalbe Eddie Current

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was able to mount up the 2.6 E-Wilds for the recent forum ride and first impressions where very positive - by know means a proper test or any really hard riding, but instantly confident in them and they grip very well cranked over and flung into a corner. Didn’t feel noticeably draggy either, certainly less than the MM DH super softs I have.

Looking forward to putting more time on them

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I was able to mount up the 2.6 E-Wilds for the recent forum ride and first impressions where very positive - by know means a proper test or any really hard riding, but instantly confident in them and they grip very well cranked over and flung into a corner. Didn’t feel noticeably draggy either, certainly less than the MM DH super softs I have.

Looking forward to putting more time on them

This is good to here have just bought a pair after reading the posts on the e wild .
Merlin cycles are selling them for £35 each and I managed to get another fiver off with a voucher.

Max

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Race bike finished, the combo I’m going with for this weekend.
Mary 2.6 up front and 2.8 Ewild front soft compound in rear.
My practice bike has 2.6 Hans up front and 2.6 Ewild in rear.
Spares are Eddie current 2.8 rear and soft compound Hans 2.6 for front
Practice bike has 29x35 front rim and 27x5x 40 rear
Race is 29x36.5 front and 27.5x43 rear

View attachment 15134

View attachment 15135

View attachment 15136

As a rule I don't like bling but the red rear hub matching the shock link is the ducks nuts! Matching front hub would take it to drool category.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
As a rule I don't like bling but the red rear hub matching the shock link is the ducks nuts! Matching front hub would take it to drool category.
Front hub is matching just not the front rotor as Hope only has the 225mm rotors in black, i have one at powder coated to have it done in red as i can’t anodize it

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Spent the day testing on the course and the fastest test runs where Mary up front and 2.8 Ewild front soft compound on rear.
The soft compound has way better braking traction then the rear compound. You can feel a small amount of treat squirm in the hard pack and paver turns but it’s minimal.
Eddie was consistently 10-12 second slower on a 5.05 length run.
Eddie felt good just rolls to slow.
I did have to up my rear pressure couple psi as it was consistently out gripping Mary up front.

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Have been reading a lot concerning tyres now :) - on my non-ebike I ride Maxxis Highroller II on front which I love both for braking-power and sticking to the line.

I have used up the stock Butcher on my Kenevo, and I have learned to live with them, but not gotten confident especially the front washes out I think. (but perhaps I have too high pressure in - about 25-28)

I think I will go for the Eddie Current both front and rear now - with tube ( as I have not tried tubeless yet, and I feel more safe with higher pressure in turns - so I will go for the around 26 psi as Tim has mentioned for aggressive riding.

Perhaps its a bad habit from my motocross-days, where I always used to have my suspension set up hard - to be able to soak up when overshooting jumps - and the same with tire-pressure.

anyone who have tried to burp with the Eddie Current - do they give you a warning or will you loose it instantly ? :)

any advise is welcome
Allan

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Have been reading a lot concerning tyres now :) - on my non-ebike I ride Maxxis Highroller II on front which I love both for braking-power and sticking to the line.

I have used up the stock Butcher on my Kenevo, and I have learned to live with them, but not gotten confident especially the front washes out I think. (but perhaps I have too high pressure in - about 25-28)

I think I will go for the Eddie Current both front and rear now - with tube ( as I have not tried tubeless yet, and I feel more safe with higher pressure in turns - so I will go for the around 26 psi as Tim has mentioned for aggressive riding.

Perhaps its a bad habit from my motocross-days, where I always used to have my suspension set up hard - to be able to soak up when overshooting jumps - and the same with tire-pressure.

anyone who have tried to burp with the Eddie Current - do they give you a warning or will you loose it instantly ? :)

any advise is welcome
Allan
The rear is as predictable as they come, the front is vague, unpredictable and nerving. I just don’t trust it.
The Michelin front on the rear is really good big the casing isn’t as tough as the designed rear and the front wears fast on rear.
But it is fast and grippy.
I did blow the bead out on one front mounted on rear and took out a rim.
But i was pushing it hard in practice runs at mammoth.
The the magic Mary front Ewild front on the rear did post the fastest times of the year on two segments.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Surprised at the weight difference between a front and a rear E wild. I had written them off after I saw 1kg , thinking they were both 1kg. I think I'll run a rear both on the front and rear. Weight of the rear makes more sense for a longer travel bike(and inserts). It looks like the rubber compound is the same and its casing weight making the difference.
Tim, if you had a chance to measure widths, how does the 2.6 width E wild compare to the width of a 2.6 magic Mary?

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Surprised at the weight difference between a front and a rear E wild. I had written them off after I saw 1kg , thinking they were both 1kg. I think I'll run a rear both on the front and rear. Weight of the rear makes more sense for a longer travel bike(and inserts). It looks like the rubber compound is the same and its casing weight making the difference.
Tim, if you had a chance to measure widths, how does the 2.6 width E wild compare to the width of a 2.6 magic Mary?
No the front compound is much softer

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Top 3. Front
1- Mary adix 2.6 snake skin case
2- Hans Dampf speed grip 2.6 snake skin case
3- Eddie 2.6 have to run it at lower pressures or it sucks. 17-23psi

Rear 29er
1- Eddie current 2.6
2- hands Dampf 2.35 super gravity
3- DHR2 2.6 with Cush core
Rear 27.5
1- Ewild 2.8
2- Eddie current 2.8
3- Ewild 2.6
4- hands Dampf 2.35 super gravity
5- DHR2 2.8 evo with core

That’s my order.
Hi Tim,
does this also go for 27,5 with 2.8 tyres ?
i am about to order the Mary front in 2.8 and rear the Eddie current 2.8 . is the Mary OK in 2.8 , or do you have any other suggestions ? :)
Allan

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Ok thanks. I see there's a wild enduro front in a 2.6. That might be the way to go up front then. That should be 1200g +.
Did you measure widths? Ewild 2.6 compared to magic Mary 2.6?if not , could you?
Ok you you go
Pic 1 29x2.6 Mary on 36.6
Pic 2 27.5x2.8 Ewild on 43
Pic 3 27.5x2.6 Ewild on 40
Pic 4 27.5x2.8 Eddie on 43
Pic 5 27.5x2.8 Ewild on 34

893E4DD1-4D75-45C3-84E0-FD9993B435D1.jpeg

3D92721D-DDD7-4E38-B2F4-DCE24D1EF67D.jpeg

8D2DA342-E24E-496D-8488-C1A4A34236E3.jpeg

859B9FEB-FA98-42D7-B531-FD46FE34F3FA.jpeg

78ECBFF3-41DA-4939-923B-5DA336FDAEF1.jpeg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ok you you go
Pic 1 29x2.6 Mary on 36.6
Pic 2 27.5x2.8 Ewild on 43
Pic 3 27.5x2.6 Ewild on 40
Pic 4 27.5x2.8 Eddie on 43
Pic 5 27.5x2.8 Ewild on 34

View attachment 15684

View attachment 15685

View attachment 15686

View attachment 15687

View attachment 15688
Much appreciated Tim. Looks like the widths are really close(2.6 to 2.6). I'm guessing the wider rom that the 2.6 ewild is on, as opposed to the 2.6 mm, would make up for that difference. Reason I asked is because I had a 2.6 mm previously and I wouldn't want to stray too much wider than that. That helps . Changed tires(widths mostly) in my shopping cart back and forth a few times and was apprehensive about getting something too wide

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I've been running 2.8 Eddys on Kenevo at Morzine for the last couple of weeks. I'm interested to know what others think, but my feeling is that the compound (Addix Soft) is too hard. The tyre has barely worn and doesn't seem to grip in the wet. Rolling down a smooth asphalt hill and it's really noticeable that they have less rolling resistance than 2.5 Minion DHFs Super tacky (which are being run at much higher pressure).
I'm gutted that I bought these tyres before Tims reviews as I would have got a 2.8 Mary upfront.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
I run 2.8 MM front, and 2.8 EC rear (cushcore, low psi), and very happy with it on pretty much all surfaces!
Like it better than my DHF/DHR2 combo i pulled off. Better climbing, and no doubts more confident downhill on loose dirt.

Dont care to much about rolling resistance though, but cant notice much difference.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I run 2.8 MM front, and 2.8 EC rear (cushcore, low psi), and very happy with it on pretty much all surfaces!
Like it better than my DHF/DHR2 combo i pulled off. Better climbing, and no doubts more confident downhill on loose dirt.

Dont care to much about rolling resistance though, but cant notice much difference.
Same here... I care more about grip than rolling resistance since I'm not racing.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi @Tim29 ,

I see you have tested many emtb tires.

I am currently riding in Italy (on holidays) and rode a puncture in the sidewall of my rear tire. I still run the standard 29x2.6 Butcher Grid Gripton compound tires which came with my 2019 Specialized Levo Comp. I rode tubeless as we have many bushes in The Netherlands which have very small but very strong needles. Now added a inner tube to be able to keep riding during our holidays.

I want to convert the bike back to tubeless as soon as I can and therefore I have been searching in two local Italian bike shops for 29x2.6 tire(s). Unfortunately besides Butchers and some Victoria tires they had nothing on stock.

Which tires would you recommend to buy? I noticed many people ride Michelin e-wild, Maxxis, Schwalbe Eddie Current, Magic Mary, etc but the more options the more I get confused. I normally drive in The Netherlands. (mud, sand, roots but hardly any rocks) I think I can better wait until I am home and buy decent tires then now rapidly buy tires which I will regret in near future time.

Thanks for your support in advance!

Last edited:

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
27.5x2.8 is best Mary ever.
29x2.6 is a close second
But the 2.8 is a bit slow rolling. But it is a monster in sand, mud, loose

Hi Tim,
Just want to let you know that your support was absolutely the best I have ever done :) the Magic Mary is like its on rail in corners, - the Eddy took a little to get used to on the back, but as you say, it is as predictable as it comes, when you get used to it - no scary slips or anything, it tell you before it let go, and it crawls on anything uphill. the combo is slower rolling as the Butchers - but thats not worth thinking about when you get the other benifits. thanks again man - this is the tyres I will use from now on :)
rgds Allan

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I am a pedantic prat when it comes to tires - change them constantly.
The 2018 Scott I was loaned for a month or so came with Maxxis DHF & DHR. I found them ok in the spring conditions I was riding but they did not work well climbing over wet roots.
Also note that was 27.5 and my two ebikes are 29ers.

My 2019 eGenius came with Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf rear. Were pretty good in the still damp conditions and took the wet roots in their stride. Changed them for Maxxis Recons F&R during the summer months. Slightly less rolling resistance and a nice feel transitioning into corners. Back to the Schwalbes for the winter months to get a little more bite.

2019 Leco Comp came with Butcher Grid Griptions F & R. Reasonable traction in most conditions but felt really sketchy transitioning into corners. Running Maxxis Minion DHF and Agressor rear. Perhaps not as good grip on long, slick uphills but definitely better braking performance coming down and the transition is rock solid.

GhostHammerX

Apr 1, 2019
San Tan Valley, AZ
@Tim29 Thanks for all the work you put into this - helps a lot! One question I have for you though, as I ride 27.5 front and back (2018 Levo)...for the front, in my case, would you still prefer the MM, or would you go with the E-Wild? (I ride in AZ, so mostly dry, loose-over-hard...)

Thanks in advance!

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
My rear last 8 weeks is 2.8x27.5 on 40 mm Rekon best in my opinion. Some use 2 Rekon. In 3C they are fast with enough grip. If you prefer 3.0 Chronicle is my front.

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
Thanks. I've been looking for a replacement front tire for my Kenevo. On my acoustic Enduro 29 I love the Butcher 2.6. But in 2.8 on the 27.5, the gap between the center knobs and outside knobs seems huge and needs some king of transition know there in a way it doesn't on the 2.6. I ordered the 2.8 magic Mary's today and they look like a good option to pair with the Eddy Current 2.8 on the rear. A beast of a tire for the rear but it seemed to out grip the front Butcher 2.8 and I like the rear to let go a little before the front. I got one for a good price on Amazon and hope they will be an improvement in grip here in dusty SoCal.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Tim - the DHF and DHR2 doesn't seem to have a wear problem in general. Are you saying an eMTB wears it out because the bike is 20 lbs heavier? That is hard to consider as a factor since some riders are 120 lbs and some are 280 lbs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles