Michelin E-Wilds arrived

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Pleased so far ... They're round, it's a good start .. didnt' come in the pretty little bags which are great for washing horse boots in that you get free with the Minions ..

To the touch they feel grippier .. The butchers felt like they were made from a slippy plastic when they were new.

The 2.8 Rear weighs in at 1340g - listed as 1310g . The 2.6 front Weighs in at 998g - listed as 1000g

The rear feels considerably more rigid than the front. By Touch (which is not very scientific) at least three times as stiff.

e-wild.jpg

ewild rear.jpg

ewild front.jpg

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Nice big black knobs,.. Enjoy your wild wet root riding ?
lucky you did not flip them chairs when you hung them on the back ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha nice rubber! I do like the look of them ewilds.
Please tell me your not running tubes in those??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hahaha nice rubber! I do like the look of them ewilds.
Please tell me your not running tubes in those??
Don't be stupid, they'd fall off the chairs if you used tubes ! :)

Hope to put them on this afternoon if I can find a spare half hour .. tubeless of course !

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Knobs shouldn’t be so close! These shall be ok on wet rocks and roots only if there is no loam in between ? because if there is they will pack and weigh 3 kilos each ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have been riding the 2.6's front and rear for about 4 months and they have no problems shedding crap, the side knobs grip like you would expect them too - haven't spent too much time on wet roots as yet though. The thing I like about them is they seem to provide good rolling resistance and grip, they are a lot faster rolling than my super soft Magic Marys .

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
The thing I like about them is they seem to provide good rolling resistance and grip, they are a lot faster rolling than my super soft Magic Marys .

Presumably, this is because they are a harder compound, rather than the tread pattern? 27.5 or 29? :unsure:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So about the same amount of time you've spent fondling them, weighing them taking and posting sexy seductive pics and typing bollocks about them?

Pretty much, then I wasted the same amount of time doing it with the tyres.

Ended up taking more than half an hour to put them on too .. Probably nearer an hour due to lack of experience and ineptitude. The back was quite tight to get on - if you don't know what you're doing. I did salvage about 70% of my sealant and didn't spill any or get sealant everywhere, so it didn't go too badly at the Muppet Tyre Co.

Just squeezed in a short rainy ride..

So my Quick feeling on them ..

The 2.6 front, whilst only being .2 smaller, looks a lot smaller. I'll need to compensate in some other way now. It also gives about 5mm more clearance to the mud hugger, so for the Levo peeps with tight fitment issues, the 2.6 would give you more space on the front or rear.

Riding : Well, in the hands of a muppet, they actually felt really nice and confidence inspiring ! Did the first part of the same route I did yesterday, where I'd had a few slides, it stayed completely planted - despite being wetter.

Proceeded to ride two more sections I'd ridden yesterday and my speeds were considerably higher with not a single slip, slide, worry, turtle head, nothing.

This next part I will no doubt regret for the rest of my life .. but @Gary might be right about plus sized being only for benny hill .. The bike was much more responsive with direction changes, it was also noticeably more precise - yes, even to me .. so if you could actually ride, it would probably feel like you're riding a scalpel . Yes, the front's a 2.6 .. so still chunky compared to 2.3's .. but it felt good.

The only negative, if you worry about such things, on a gravelly section they picked up the tiny little rocks (5mm ish) and threw them about.

Sadly it wasn't a long enough ride to gauge much more than that .. but so far, very happy !! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Presumably, this is because they are a harder compound, rather than the tread pattern? 27.5 or 29?

I think R120's on 27.5 (sommet).

I guess the Mary is slightly softer ?! Though there are different versions with different compounds. I'm going to guess that most of it is actually the tread pattern.

magic mary.jpg

e-wild2.jpg

The E-wild's "centre knobs" .. are slightly less pronounced/aggressive .. (without going all technical and using the correct terms :) )

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Been running the wild (notE) version for about 8 months now (2nd set) and rate them highly! Better on harder terrain than soft, but all around top selection for sure! WOnder about the difference VS the E ones? Mine are 2.4 so maybe just wider?
IMG_7629.jpg

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
E-wild Fitted on to the rear, couldn’t get a ride in until tomorrow.
Had an unexpected complication.
I was running Tannus Tyre armour and tube.

I’m guessing they stretch as that insert wasn’t going back into that tyre carcus. It was like putting a 29”into a 27.5”

So, I’ve gone tubeless, and it’s not leaking or seeping like it did the first time I tried “Self fit” tubeless.

I’ve left the wheel off and 55lb in it, check it in the morning and hopefully all being well, out on the trails tomorrow.??

It feels sticky and the profile looks good.

Zimmer, what pressure do you run ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I’ve left the wheel off and 55lb in it, check it in the morning and hopefully all being well, out on the trails tomorrow.??
A wee tip. When you fit a new tubeless set up, take it straight out for a short ride.
I fit a lot of tubeless tyres each week and despite always being very careful to swill the sealant around every part of the inside of the tyre/rim I find some tyres don't seal fully until ridden. Up and down the street with a few turns, bunnyhops etc. should be enough.

@Zims... I had a beer for each and every one of you lastnight and into the early hours of this morning. I'm still not sober yet.

#FuckedupFursday

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It was like putting a 29”into a 27.5”

On the "HeLP, I need a reduction" forum, @Gary regularly talks about that problem.

DHRII/DHF on the hardtail, the ideal muppet pressure was about 1.2/1.3 bar (17-20psi ish)

On the Kenevo I've been running more 24/26 ish and playing around there. Though I did put 3 bar in, rightly or wrongly, when I was seating them. When I did the tubeless on the Butchers last week I left them at 2.5 and they were down to 1.5 in the morning. Pumped them back up and went for a ride and they stayed like that.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When you fit a new tubeless set up, take it straight out for a short ride.

I was going to say that :) why can't you get your own ideas ! ;-) Oh crap .. I've agreed with you twice now. ..... Stops off to think of something to wind Gary up ..... (shouldn't have to stomp far...)

I had a beer for each and every one of you lastnight and into the early hours of this morning. I'm still not sober yet.

You know there's like 50,000 or something of us ? Ooooooh, I wouldn't want to be your head ..

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I think R120's on 27.5 (sommet).

I guess the Mary is slightly softer ?! Though there are different versions with different compounds. I'm going to guess that most of it is actually the tread pattern.

View attachment 19894
View attachment 19896

The E-wild's "centre knobs" .. are slightly less pronounced/aggressive .. (without going all technical and using the correct terms :) )

What i would refer to as, a 'semi slick' knobbly...

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
And if one cant set their sealant imediatelly because cant go outside, still can lay the bike besides on bed and give the wheels a spin every now and then, while dreaming of riding Moab.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles