Michelin E-Wilds arrived

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nothing stopping you putting 26" wheels on any 27.5 Emtb. Most have at least 15mm* too high a BB anyway. ;)

*ie. more than the real world difference in wheel radius between the two wheel sizes

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Nothing stopping you putting 26" wheels on any 27.5 Emtb. Most have at least 15mm* too high a BB anyway. ;)

*ie. more than the real world difference in wheel radius between the two wheel sizes
What about a 27.5 front and a 26 on the rear ? or a 29 front and a 26 rear ?‍♂️
What if we just went from 2.8 wide to 2.6 wide tyres, how much affect would this have on BB height ? not to mention other positive affects ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
so what air pressure you running on these and what were you running on the OE’s

26 rear and 24 front, on the Wilds and the Butchers, to try and keep things "the same" .. though with different carcass rigidity and the front going from 2.8 to 2.6, there will be other factors at play.

I wanted to try them next, but they don't do 29
emoji848.png
only 27.5 and 26 on their website.

I think 29's are due out .. not sure when .. they do the "wilds" in 29, just not the e-wilds unfortunately.

Fire_2

May 11, 2019
Kent
The e-wilds have a much heavier rear tyre don’t they over non e version?

Was holding out for the 29e’s but now thinking other wise...

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway

As I've learnt, if you talk enough crap, just by the infinite laws of quantum bullshit - eventually you'll be right about something !

Don't fret - it's Friday, we'll all have a beer for you ! :)

Yes Shit?
:poop:

But honestly I do agree 2.8 is just a tad to wide for most circumstances.. 2.6 seems like the sweetspot for a lot of riding. I swapped my original 2.8's on he scott for 2.6 as well (all I could get quickly) and it definitely rode better and felt different IMO.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How are the e-wilds going?

Been too busy to get out much. Did a quick 30k zoom in torrential rain a couple of days ago, managed to get them sliding more as you push them harder, but everytime they'd catch again nicely rather than dumping you on your arse like the butchers. (I'm relating this from the riding perspective of a muppet rather than a pro).

Went for a slow wet ride yesterday "avec cheval" .. so spent most of my time brake testing on every surface I could find to take advantage of the time. Gripped impressively. (but how do you stop sram's freeeekkkkiinnn screeeeaammmming all the time in the rain ???)

I think the standard Butchers are slightly more grippy for traction in slushy mud on a climb, you feel the wilds spin for about 1/4 turn before they bite again.

Just about to go for another very wet quick play ..

Reactions: CjP

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
How are these on wet roots and chalk? My local haunt is Aston Hill which is notoriously slippy in the winter.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I put about 40 miles on mine over the weekend, in pretty horrific conditions, deep mud, chalk and roots and they performed well, nice and predictable. As @Zimmerframe said above they spin a small bit in deep mud before biting, but I rode them up the worst bridleway near me, which is steppe and tracked out by horses in deep mud, and they had no problems.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Been too busy to get out much. Did a quick 30k zoom in torrential rain a couple of days ago, managed to get them sliding more as you push them harder, but everytime they'd catch again nicely rather than dumping you on your arse like the butchers. (I'm relating this from the riding perspective of a muppet rather than a pro).

Went for a slow wet ride yesterday "avec cheval" .. so spent most of my time brake testing on every surface I could find to take advantage of the time. Gripped impressively. (but how do you stop sram's freeeekkkkiinnn screeeeaammmming all the time in the rain ???)

I think the standard Butchers are slightly more grippy for traction in slushy mud on a climb, you feel the wilds spin for about 1/4 turn before they bite again.

Just about to go for another very wet quick play ..
About squealing, LBS says..clean and resurface pads and disks, then run-in again. Havent tried it yet becuase the Trance quit squealing all on its own after a few weeks of constant noise.

You tube has lots of video showing various methods, requiring some sort of cleaning agent like windex or alcohol and sand paper. I'm sure something unexpected will happen regardless of what you try.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Quicky update ..

Yesterday did a 30k ride of 60% road and 40% farm tracks and similar. I don't normally ride on the road so it was interesting to compare my previous short road experiences.

Other than getting stuck in a cow jam for 5 minutes, it went really well .

Upped the pressure a bit before hand then just left it in Turbo. Rode as hard as possible for the whole ride. They rolled really really nicely, cornered nicely - could not fault them. Nice and quite so you could still hear approaching traffic, wind noise was louder. Down hill on tarmac it was possible to hit 50-55kph and they were stable and nice.

Short ride this evening, gravel and mixed condition wet forest tracks, one downhill (mud/rock/roots) same high pressure. Really reassuring grip in all conditions. 60kph on a gnarly downhill trail (I suppose it's obvious it's not uphill :) ) covered with acorns, chestnuts and wet leaves and they just ripped through it. The downhill on the mud and rocks they just bit in really well so you could get yourself sorted to find a decent line through the wet roots.

Really impressed so far, very reassuring !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Must have about 200km's on them now.

Basically .. they're great.

Just did a quick 20k mixed mud/slop/leaves crap ride, hugely grippy and confidence inspiring.

Friday did a 40k mixed mud/flower rivers/slop/muddy roads/leaves endless torrential rain and they were outstanding. Still spin up slightly more climbing in mud than the butchers or DHRII's, but they bite and then drive you forwards. At one point the mud was so thick that the front was almost stopped from going forwards, but they still dug in and pushed forwards.

Some of the early rides I was still suffering from TRS (Tense Rider Syndrome) after so many falls on the Butchers in the wet, so at times they still felt a bit unpredictable due to my rigidity. Now that I trust them, they're incredible.

EDIT : just checked some strava times, ok, it's not hugely accurate but it gives some guides. On a very wet rocky climb I was only 6 seconds slower than my best dry time. Somehow got a KOM on an undulating leaf and mud fireroad section (I think I left my brain at home) and was only 2 seconds off my fastest time on another section which is normally unnervingly slippy, but today felt planted.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
How are you guys getting on with the E WIlds, still loving them?
I'm in the market for some new tyres after almost coming a cropper on a gravelly corner earlier :eek: and these have been on the list for a while.
How do these tyres fare on dry, loose, dusty, gravelly type terrain?
Am I better looking elsewhere for a "summer" tyre?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How are you guys getting on with the E WIlds, still loving them?
I'm in the market for some new tyres after almost coming a cropper on a gravelly corner earlier :eek: and these have been on the list for a while.
How do these tyres fare on dry, loose, dusty, gravelly type terrain?
Am I better looking elsewhere for a "summer" tyre?

Mine have mainly been used in wet slop wet rocks wet roots wet rivers wet puddles and generally wet things .. For which they've been remarkable. We have had some dry weather since "lockdown" and what I have ridden, they've continued to be faultless.

There's quite a lot of good info in here when used in the dry/dusty :

Ebike tire showdown. - EMTB Forums

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I actually think they are a "normal" weather tire that does well in the worst conditions. I have been riding my bike daily for my bit of exercise, nothing gnarly just some local flow stuff with no jumps but some good corners you can rail etc. Given we have been unseasonably dry in the UK for the past few weeks its been the longest dry period I have been able to ride them in, and still really liking them. Main thing as I have stated before, is they seem to be faster rolling than any other heavy duty tyre I have used (they go over anything) and this big side knobs really grip in the corners.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is one other thing about E-Wilds - it’s nothing performance based but . . . .

they look f@@king badass when mounted up and like they where made to shred, and we all know that counts for at least a 50% boost in ability ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles