Ebike tire showdown. Michelin E wild vs Schwalbe Eddie Current

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I’m not sure
I've often noticed that I spin way less than unassisted riders on steep climbs, particularly with the Brose system on level 2.

Who coined the term "clockwork bikes?" And what's the metaphorical association? (Please forgive my density if it's obvious ?)
who coined clockwork, I’m pretty sure i can coin acoustic.
But not many are catching the meaning in person. Few acoustic riders caught on out on trail have a chuckle.
It just feels degrading to calm them normal mtb’s There nothing normal about a modern clockwork bike.
Sad part is a i have a 2 month old firebird and it has 18 miles on it. I just have these Fantics so dialed in i don’t like the firebird. It pushes on corner entry and rear is loose on hard braking, it chatters really bad. And i just haven’t had modivation to rip the suspension down and revolve it all till i find it comfortable. So it sits. The only thing i can do on it i can’t do on my ebike is Manuel. I still can’t hold a Manuel for more then 75-80ft on a good one

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Let`s just call them what they are, pushbikes ?

Really like how thorough you test the tires Tim. Following closely.
Was set to test youre MM/EC combo in 2.8 on my 27,5x35mm rims next time, but not sure MM handles loose over hard as well as i hope for.
Looking forward to see how this test turns out!

Might i ask what the real benefits are of going so wide on rims as you do? I mean, with CC in them they do get improved sidewall support even on 35mm`s.. And are you sure the wide rims isnt partly the reason why youre burping air in corners?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Who coined the term "clockwork bikes?" And what's the metaphorical association? (Please forgive my density if it's obvious ?)

I have been using the term "clockwork bikes" as a metaphor for ordinary bikes since I first came on this Forum late last year. Although as one member said, there is nothing ordinary about modern clockwork bikes. I do not claim to have invented the term as I don't believe that I am creative enough to have done so, although I would claim it if I was absolutely 100% certain. But I'm fairly sure I must have read it somewhere.
What are the alternatives? Regular, normal, ordinary, analogue, old fashioned, non-electric, mtb (as opposed to emtb), there will be others I'm sure (pushbike for ex). I just liked the term clockwork; it is not meant to be abusive or denigratory in any way. But so far, everyone I use the term with face to face has known what I meant without me having to explain it, which surely is a sign the term has meaning, maybe even merit. :)

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
I spoke with a Schwalbe rep at Sea Otter. He pointed out that the Eddie Current is a duel ply tread. Very soft edge knobs and much harder center knobs. The difference can be felt when digging in with your fingernail.

I'm a technical trail AM rider, not high speed DH/Enduro until I go to DH park and places far from home, it's just too crowded to ride faster than able to safely slow or stop in corners within view here in the SF Bay Area, except a very few DH training rides far from my home. My Eddie Current front 2.4 x 29 on a 39mm inside wide carbon rim I designed and sell (they were out of stock in 2.6 when I bought in the late winter), and rear 27.5 x 2.8 on a 44mm inside wide rim, have about 400 miles of frequently rocky climbing and descending with lots of mud time. The rear edge knobs rounding a lot but inside rear knobs still sharp but wearing slightly. The front looks near new with the side knob just starting to round slightly.

These Eddie Currents have more grip than any tire I've ridden, but they are HEAVY! which is OK on an ebike used for techincal trail riding.

I've just switched to 29 x 29 Nobby Nic 2.9 size on 39mm inside wide rims now that trails have finally dried. They have pretty good traction, but not as confidence inspiring as the Eddie's.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Let`s just call them what they are, pushbikes ?

Really like how thorough you test the tires Tim. Following closely.
Was set to test youre MM/EC combo in 2.8 on my 27,5x35mm rims next time, but not sure MM handles loose over hard as well as i hope for.
Looking forward to see how this test turns out!

Might i ask what the real benefits are of going so wide on rims as you do? I mean, with CC in them they do get improved sidewall support even on 35mm`s.. And are you sure the wide rims isnt partly the reason why youre burping air in corners?
I started on a 27 internal front and went 27-30-31-32-34-36-38.
Rear started at 30-32-34-36-38-40-42-43-45.
I was able to run less pressure and took more effort to burp the wider rims. The tire gains considerable side wall support with the wider rims.
At seaotter i did not have a core.
I had a 2.35 super gravity Hans Dampf on a 32 internal at 40 psi
Don’t be scared of Mary with loose over hard, specially if you have a soft compound or orange stripe Mary.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
What’s that
I spoke with a Schwalbe rep at Sea Otter. He pointed out that the Eddie Current is a duel ply tread. Very soft edge knobs and much harder center knobs. The difference can be felt when digging in with your fingernail.

I'm a technical trail AM rider, not high speed DH/Enduro until I go to DH park and places far from home, it's just too crowded to ride faster than able to safely slow or stop in corners within view here in the SF Bay Area, except a very few DH training rides far from my home. My Eddie Current front 2.4 x 29 on a 39mm inside wide carbon rim I designed and sell (they were out of stock in 2.6 when I bought in the late winter), and rear 27.5 x 2.8 on a 44mm inside wide rim, have about 400 miles of frequently rocky climbing and descending with lots of mud time. The rear edge knobs rounding a lot but inside rear knobs still sharp but wearing slightly. The front looks near new with the side knob just starting to round slightly.

These Eddie Currents have more grip than any tire I've ridden, but they are HEAVY! which is OK on an ebike used for techincal trail riding.

I've just switched to 29 x 29 Nobby Nic 2.9 size on 39mm inside wide rims now that trails have finally dried. They have pretty good traction, but not as confidence inspiring as the Eddie's.
2.4 look like stretched out on a 39 internal??
I have mine on a 32 as i felt the 36.5 was to wide for the 2.4.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I just did a little check out ride on the. Ewild 2.8 mounted on a 32 internal alum wheel with no core and a tube.
Started at 30psi and the tire to harsh for play ride and lacks little grip on pitchy climbs and loos over hard.
So dropped pressure to 26 and traction came in nice. Speed still really good, but i feel to much tire squirm. Remounting onto 34 internal

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
In the past I've run a narrower inner width rim in the back, with same width tires front and back. Straighter side wall up front for edging and a little bend in the tire sidewall out back with a narrower rim for compliance and tracking. Weight is always on the back wheel and it seems to track better through boulder fields or roots rather than get deflected. I'm thinking I might go 2.6/27.5 rear and 2.4/29 front(michelin) and just run 35mm inners front and back

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Epic fail today i tried a new line in the water fall and came up short doubling down a chunk section.
Tire survived but wheel didn’t.
So i have to give the casing an A+ rating.
Oops!! Flat ran out of talent.

81ABAF79-C91B-4D91-91B4-B839E4AA972B.png

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Went 30+ miles today on the 27.5x2.6 Ewild on fire roads, loose on hard, golf ball size rock on loose road, soft Loose, boondockin in thorny bushes and sticks, really loose dry dirt.
I have to say the Ewild is impressive in some areas and it’s really growing on me. My riding partner flatted in the thorns 3 times with her borntrager tires.
Puncture resistance A+
Loose dirt traction A
Loose on hard. C+ to B-
Loose rock on hard surface B-
High speed on hard pack B+
Climbing traction c
Braking traction D
Out of all the rims. 38-40 internal i felt the tire was most predictable.
With the 40 you can run lower air pressure and it holds well in turns and molds to rocks and roots on climbs pretty good.
I say the 2.8 Eddie is like an SUV. it does everything well and super predictable but rolls really slow and lacks life. It molds to the ground regardless of the surface and just grips.
The Ewild is more like a sports car, it’s fast and the casing i think is the perfect combo for aggressive and cruiser type riders, it’s crazy how fast the tire is.
My only real complaint is several times on loose dirt with hard base i came into corners really hot with the intent to pitch it out and once you really pitch it the tire struggles to regain grip on some dirts.
The predictability is decent it hasn’t given me a oh Sh&$t moment.
It’s a good match on the rear with a soft magic Mary 29x2.6 front.
I’m def gonna use this tire in ebike enduro next week as i can’t ignore the speed of the tire and the toughness of the casing.
Just might be the perfect tire case.
For comparison. I say it’s really close to climbing and breaking traction of a high roller 2, case is more lively and hold better then a max DD case but yet has compliance on small chunk and chatter of a EVO case.
I’m taking it off to save it for the races.
Next up 2.8x27.5 on 35 internal

Stevie old n slow

Oct 30, 2018
Menstrie Scotland
I have eddy current 29x2.6 front and rear and geez they are heavy and slow rolling but so grippy over off camber roots and rocks. Living in Scotland and riding mostly natural trails with changeable conditions (4 seasons in one day) they will be staying on for me. Caught the sidewall a couple of times on sharp rocks and no damage done as well. 24 psi front 26psi rear. Also been crashing less with the extra grip they are giving.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Sorry for the delay, i had sold my 180 and my new bike was delayed.
So started over with a med 2018 180 with 51 offset forks.
Yesterday i rode 26 miles on 2.8 on 34 internal wheel with a tube at 23psi
The dirt was a combo that just about covered everything. Loose over hard, hero dirt, mud, rock, wet granite, wet roots, stumps, pine needles, oak leaves
The 2.8 likes the narrower wheel then schwalbe. I find it feels really well balanced on 34 wheel. Had a little better feel and it breaks traction little more predictably.
I found 23psi was enough support to hold up to race pace speeds and i didn’t have any moments i thought a chunk edge would flat. I have to give this tire the perfect casing award.
Tire little lacking in braking traction on loose or really wet dirt.
Not terrible in mud,, i rate it equal in mud to DHR2, corner traction is really good, climbing in heavy pine needles and wet roots it was really predictable and held its own.
I think i give this tire a slightly better overal rating then the Eddie 2.8 for these reasons.
The tire case is outstanding, speed is good, traction is predictable and solid.
In super chunky and wet it’s not as good as Eddie, but where this tire lacks in Traction the playfulness and robust case and the tires speed it’s a good trade off.
I will do some edit on GoPro of some of the rides. But i don’t know how to post it

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Ran the 2.8 today and just bombed the rock gardens on east side with 22psi and a tube which would almost always bring a flat on a EXO at 30 psi.
I’m gonna say I’m hooked and gonna stay with it.
It’s the fastest of the 2.8 tires I’ve tested and has beat all around performance. I have found it’s not as lacking in braking traction when it’s leaned. Only when flat on top.
So if you throw caution to wind and just run it in deep and stay on the side of thebtire it brakes really well.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I should add that today on all 6 DH runs and the steepest of climbs i had best times ive ever run.
I reran east side with Eddie and it’s a 13 min run and was 17 seconds slower with Eddie.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Ran the 2.8 today and just bombed the rock gardens on east side with 22psi and a tube which would almost always bring a flat on a EXO at 30 psi.
I’m gonna day I’m hooked and gonna stay with it.
It’s the fastest of the 2.8 tires I’ve tested and has beat all around performance. I have found it’s not as lacking in braking traction when it’s leaned. Only when flat on top.
So if you throw caution to wind and just run it in deep and stay on the side of thebtire it brakes really well.
Hey Tim, so you really have me thinking seriously about this for the rear, but my conditions are very different from yours. 80% of the time wet, muddy, greasy, off camber roots and rocks due to evening tropical showers the night before. Running DHR II 29 x 2.6 dual on 30 rim presently but would love a faster rolling tire for our longer rides to avoid battery anxiety towards the end. Also, tight technical trails that require max 740 mm handlebar width, rather than open high-speed bermed ones. I ride with a very fast group who are all younger than me-have to work hard to keep up and speed is of the essence. So with my conditions would you still rate the E wild the best ? Thanks for this tire feedback, very helpful.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
It was really wet yesterday as it rained over night and it did well
But they don’t have an Ewild in a 29.
Only 27.5
It’s def much better in wet then DHR2 the large aggressive side lugs grip good on edge in mud

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles