As Strava hates e-bikes....

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Strava is for homos with huge egos and something to prove.

I used it once to record where I had been on a new local route/trail ride, for that purpose alone it seemed okay but it has too much cock waving built into it for the insecure types so I can't be arsed with it anymore.

Damn you can read like a book ???... I just like logging my stats and I look, out of curiosity if there are other e-bikers local to me. As they are as rare as rocking-horse shIt around me !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've genuinely no idea WTF you are even going on about @118

what is a "CRF"?

and wot da fuk dus yur internashonal race licences hav to do wif anyfing?

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
Strava is super easy to hack. You can export the GPX, change all the times in the file with a script to a different day, and make yourself as fast as you want. GPX file format is just xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gpx creator="StravaGPX Android" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="GPX 1.1 Schema Documentation http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" version="1.1" xmlns="GPX 1.1 Schema Documentation">
<metadata>
<time>2019-09-08T16:49:10Z</time>
</metadata>
<trk>
<name>Pleasanton ridge exploration</name>
<type>18</type>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="37.6144590" lon="-121.8818730">
<ele>85.2</ele>
<time>2019-09-08T16:49:10Z</time>
</trkpt>
<trkpt lat="37.6144420" lon="-121.8818990">
<ele>85.2</ele>
<time>2019-09-08T16:50:14Z</time>
</trkpt>
<trkpt lat="37.6144730" lon="-121.8818970">
<ele>85.3</ele>
<time>2019-09-08T16:50:29Z</time>
</trkpt>

So there's that. Now go out there and get some KOM's!

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I've genuinely no idea WTF you are even going on about @118

what is a "CRF"?

That'll be because I'm educated. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Barren*

Deal with it, princess!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your education clearly hasn't ensured a complete lack of stupidity or ignorance. I hope it was free.

You still haven't given us any idea what a CRF even is never mind why you're crying about being beaten by one.

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Your education clearly hasn't ensured a complete lack of stupidity or ignorance. I hope it was free.

You still haven't given us any idea what a CRF even is never mind why you're crying about being beaten by one.

It was, thank you. Comprehensive schooling at it's very finest. And hereby shows, how repugnant, you really are. Or have I/we, now surpassed the extent of your own intellect, that you can only retort, with another ill informed bigoted opinion? Perhaps it was your "sarcasm" again :rolleyes:

There will be plenty on here, who know exactly what a CRF is. I'll give you a clue, should you wish to look for one, they sometimes come, in a rouge colour, dependant on their title sponsor.
With regards to what I was "crying about", it was a rhetorical scenario, to show how flawed Strava is. The fact that you are unable to grasp the majority of what is put in front of you to read, I'll stop now, as clearly, multiple paragraghs contain too many words for you to comprehend fully.

As per my statement within message #31, I'm sorry, I can't argue with an idiot.

Apologises to the OP, I hope that you found the answers within your entire thread, that you was searching for..(y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Bigotted? really? WTF Mike? how on earth do you get to that conclusion?

You've gone from complaining about cyclocross bikes being allowed to compete with mtbs to rhetorical motorcycles stealing imaginary KOMs off you.
If only there was an imaginary "flag ride" option in your imaginary strava account for reporting and deleting any imaginary achievements done motor assisted.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Be the bigger man Gary.
We’re all part of one community .

01879809-4D97-4634-8F86-A05CA3C49FA5.jpeg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
And there we have a good example of why I no longer bother with strava . Or strava wars as I now call it
I used to like it for personal use before I had an ebike , especially the yearly achievement mileage etc ,but I was forever forgetting to start or stop it . then simeone joined our local club and stole all the roadies Kom,s on an ebike , quite innocently they didn’t know about the ebike section , but it caused big fallout in the club and a greater hatred of ebikes .
Then we would be out riding trails and I would have someone say I’ve just beat your time on that decent , hell I didn’t even know it had a strava time and those people had actually been following me on strava and gone out to secretly practice just to beat my time when I wasn’t even trying to race .
final straw was constantly forgetting to switch strava off when driving back from a ride in the car and getting messages accusing you of cheating before even realising the mistake . Just ride and have fun there’s always someone faster and what is there to prove on ebikes anyway

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
And there we have a good example of why I no longer bother with strava . Or strava wars as I now call it
I used to like it for personal use before I had an ebike , especially the yearly achievement mileage etc ,but I was forever forgetting to start or stop it . then simeone joined our local club and stole all the roadies Kom,s on an ebike , quite innocently they didn’t know about the ebike section , but it caused big fallout in the club and a greater hatred of ebikes .
Then we would be out riding trails and I would have someone say I’ve just beat your time on that decent , hell I didn’t even know it had a strava time and those people had actually been following me on strava and gone out to secretly practice just to beat my time when I wasn’t even trying to race .
final straw was constantly forgetting to switch strava off when driving back from a ride in the car and getting messages accusing you of cheating before even realising the mistake . Just ride and have fun there’s always someone faster and what is there to prove on ebikes anyway
Whilst I agree that there are definite issues with Strava and with Strava and ebikes particularly, it sounds more like you're suffering mostly from people being dicks. One would hope that there would be less of that at a club.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Whilst I agree that there are definite issues with Strava and with Strava and ebikes particularly, it sounds more like you're suffering mostly from people being dicks. One would hope that there would be less of that at a club.
Sadly there’s a lot more of it at clubs , especially with Roadies , as has been said in this thread , if people have the potential to be dicks strava can often help them achieve it especially in a club scene

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I ever if a lot of the Strava grief from other users could be avoided by letting us set the default activity on our profiles. I record my rides with Apple Watch and then import them to Strava. But on each import I have to manually change the type.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
The problem with the ebike category is that it doesn't include the existing segments pre-defined for the area. I paid $60 bucks for membership and want to see my times compared to the rest of my group. The fix would be to just show all the segments in the ebike category and show all times in that grouping. I want to see my buddies times vs mine. I'll use normal category for that purpose. If Strava fixed the issue I wouldn't have to. Else give me my $60 back.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The problem with the ebike category is that it doesn't include the existing segments pre-defined for the area. I paid $60 bucks for membership and want to see my times compared to the rest of my group. The fix would be to just show all the segments in the ebike category and show all times in that grouping. I want to see my buddies times vs mine. I'll use normal category for that purpose. If Strava fixed the issue I wouldn't have to. Else give me my $60 back.
The problem is that you're on an e-bike and they're on MTB's. So if you just accessed the existing segments it wouldn't be fair on the MTB's for the climbs.

Ideally there should be a a strava segment export ? facility. So you can access existing segments and port the segment to e-bike, run,hike,mtb and so on. As it is you have to change your activity, set it to private and whatever task you want to make the segment for and create all the segments manually for each category. This is made even more frustrating as you're limited 8 or 10 new segments a day. So in my case I end up not creating the run and hike ones because it won't let me - which is then detrimental to strava.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've never used Strava ..and never will ..just as I've never used Facebook / Twitter / Snapchat ..etc ..
This forum, WhatsApp & Viewranger ( I don't share & don't follow) are the only social media platforms I use ..and that suits me just fine ..I don't really care how fast I get up a hill ..as long as I get up the hill..and if you can get up there quicker..well I'm happy for you ?

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
What a lot of emotion about not a lot. Folk can choose to use whatever recording method, app or device they want for whatever reason they want. I used Strava with HRM to help gauge fitness, calorie burn etc. On my non e road bike stats are interesting for progress monitoring but not so much on ebike.

When Strava got silly and removed HRM support (now back) I moved to a Garmin which is better but I still export to Strava as it is generally widely used and friends are on there for cycling, running and so on.

I leave the segment obsession to those that are really pushing themselves hard on the road or as one poster said challenging their DH times.

Each to their own folks.

D

Deleted member 7464

I wouldn't worry about strava, it's wildly inaccurate and only good to keep a record for what you have done.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Problem I have is I have to manually change the activity type to e-bike ride, I wonder how long it takes strava to send out the "uh-oh, you just lost your KOM" emails to the previous leaders??
for example yesterday I was at a trail centre, and the ride uploaded automatically as I finished, but I never got round to editing the ride untill about an hour later when I got home
I think I might alter strava or garmin so it doesn't automaticaly upload, thats a start

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Why not just change the activity publicity to "Followers"?

Only your followers will be able to see your activity details. Your activities will not appear on segment or challenge leaderboards, and may not count toward some challenge goals. Members who do not follow you may be able to view your activity summaries depending on your other privacy settings

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Why not just change the activity publicity to "Followers"?

Only your followers will be able to see your activity details. Your activities will not appear on segment or challenge leaderboards, and may not count toward some challenge goals. Members who do not follow you may be able to view your activity summaries depending on your other privacy settings
spot on, i've done that.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
So you can access existing segments and port the segment to e-bike, run,hike,mtb and so on. As it is you have to change your activity, set it to private and whatever task you want to make the segment for and create all the segments manually for each category. This is made even more frustrating as you're limited 8 or 10 new segments a day. So in my case I end up not creating the run and hike ones because it won't let me - which is then detrimental to strava.
I have used this formula to copy MTB segments and create eMTB segments. Done 220+ so far here in Denmark ?
Only one problem - eMTB friends keep sending me new areas to "segment" ?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Ended up creating all my own ebike ones. I find Strava really helps with my fitness, tracking how I'm riding so I push myself harder to beat my best times puhing beyond the limiter.

The ebike MTB segments are a bit of a joke though, as some of the riders are de-restricted so hard to really compare your times against others, just against yourself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles