STRAVA WAN###

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Me and my mate went out for a bit of a ride the other weekend and I posted this picture on my strava
IMG_0099.JPG
today I received this message on my account
IMG_0101.PNG

Let's see what reply I get from this.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you still want to compare your times to all the other riders on the leaderboards / see all the segment data etc. but not steal places off unassisted riders just set your ride to private.
install elevate chrome extension and link it to veloviewer and it'll show you more stats like whether you beat your PR and how far you are off the genuine KOM

real bike rider asked you politely. You seem to be taking it a little too personally.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Think it was just his name that wound me up ....I have set me strava to just followers now.
Can't seem to set it as ebike , have to set it each time individually. Help.......

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Can't seem to set it as ebike , have to set it each time individually. Help.......
My Strava for iPhone now defaults to ebike for all rides, are you running the latest version?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Think it was just his name that wound me up ....I have set me strava to just followers now.
They do need to address that issue - why they don’t let people set their default activity to ebike is rather weird.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
The irony is the “real bike rider” has never done a single ride, ebike or otherwise. Yeah, clearly an anonymous account but still, what a twat.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm with you Mad Mark, even though I do change my rides to E Bike, which is a pain on Strava as it won't let you default to e bike.
Just the thought of that righteous t**t making comment, would make my wind him right up!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you reeeeeally can't set your account to default to ebike ride set your STRAVA to private like I suggested earlier and you'll have all the time in the world to go back later and make it an ebike ride, swim or gymnastics workout without pissing off genuinely fast folk. ;)

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
If you reeeeeally can't set your account to default to ebike ride set your STRAVA to private like I suggested earlier and you'll have all the time in the world to go back later and make it an ebike ride, swim or gymnastics workout without pissing off genuinely fast folk. ;)
No I reeeeeeeeeealllly can't Gary

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well you know what to do now then, eh?
once you've gotten over recieving a polite message from real bike rider obvz ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My i phone says version 83.0.0 last updated 30th of January
Mine's the same version, but I don't know how or why it defaulted to eBike, unless it just recognised that I changed all my rides to it. I've had a quick look and I can't see a setting to change.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
what im about to say is not saying who is in the right or wrong out of the two,

The real problem I feel is strava itself, in how it goes about treating ebikes as a totally different sport.
now if strava just added a flag to bike so you can set it as a ebike.
so where you set your default bike you have another option to set it as a ebike.
your bike would read Specialized Levo - Ebike. then treat is as extra condition on the bike so ALL segment results would show up in your gps trace but it would only put you in for a KOM or trophy in the ebike category.
normal riders could set a filter to include/exclude ebikes in their results (some might want to keep them to see if they can beat a ebike) and ebikes could choose whether to include normal bikes or not. but and here is where it works best it would show you your own results from everytime you've ridden that segment no matter which bike you rode it on. it would also mean there is no need to make a separate segment for ebikes as it can use any bike segment.
hope this makes sense.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Actually galls me a little bit. If I got KOM on a downhill on my ebike I'd be keeping it there. Next they'll be asking for it to be deleted if I was on my downhill bike rather than a hardtail, single speed... whatever. Not remotely interested in climbing trophies.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
what im about to say is not saying who is in the right or wrong out of the two,

The real problem I feel is strava itself, in how it goes about treating ebikes as a totally different sport.
now if strava just added a flag to bike so you can set it as a ebike.
so where you set your default bike you have another option to set it as a ebike.
your bike would read Specialized Levo - Ebike. then treat is as extra condition on the bike so ALL segment results would show up in your gps trace but it would only put you in for a KOM or trophy in the ebike category.
normal riders could set a filter to include/exclude ebikes in their results (some might want to keep them to see if they can beat a ebike) and ebikes could choose whether to include normal bikes or not. but and here is where it works best it would show you your own results from everytime you've ridden that segment no matter which bike you rode it on. it would also mean there is no need to make a separate segment for ebikes as it can use any bike segment.
hope this makes sense.
This is the best idea for strava I have seen.
I think the only reason people don't change the ride to an e bike ride, is that there are hardly any segments for E bike rides, which makes the whole thing a little pointless.

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
I'm assuming real bike rider has another account and is possibly a very fast rider and so gets a little miffed when ebiker's don't set their rides to an ebike ride. People use Strava for all sorts of reasons some are more serious than others when it comes to Strava.

Now he did ask nicely although he could have chosen a better name than that. He could have just flagged your ride then it would have been removed from leader boards until you proved it a legit ride somehow. this is probably why he set up this anonymous account, so you wouldn't retaliate by flagging his rides. So i'm guessing he does this to many ebiker's and why not.

Personally my rides are initially set to ride and open to everyone so I can use relive and see if I've got any pb's on downhill sections, once I've looked at it on my PC I change the type to ebike ride and set it to followers only.

I'm not sure if this has been fixed bike any pb's once set to ebike ride are gone forever even if you change it back to a normal ride.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I have altered all my ebike rides, to see if it will reset default to ebike .......also been on strava web site, but still will not let me alter to ebike as main setting

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
As I say if I had a good time anywhere I marked it as an ebike ride anyway.....
From now on I'm only allowing my mates to see my rides & will mark them all as ebike rides ?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
When I got the ebike I set my Strava to private as it was clearly unfair.

Pretty soon I had stopped looking at it as you don't appear on the leaderboard so can't see if you have improved.

I've stopped recording my rides now. Don'y really miss it.

Much :)

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Believe me even your good mates that you have ridden with for ages get narked on the whole subject of Strava and ebikes, when their on normal bikes, I deleted all of them and now only have a few select followers.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Actually galls me a little bit. If I got KOM on a downhill on my ebike I'd be keeping it there. Next they'll be asking for it to be deleted if I was on my downhill bike rather than a hardtail, single speed... whatever. Not remotely interested in climbing trophies.

Now that’s an interesting debate ... when is an ebike not an ebike? Arguably the extra weight gives an unfair advantage downhill even when not pedalling but where to draw the line? You could apply the same argument that a fat bloke also has the same unfair advantage but I don’t see anyone else calling for porkers to be removed from Strava leaderboards. What about the reverse and weight weenie bikes being removed from climbing segments? What about a fat bloke on a weight weenie bike ?

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Fark Strava, it’s a fairytale.
But if you must use it, then stick your ride in the correct ride genres. Only cause it will upset the little pissants that take Strava as fact. And we don’t want to upset a little pissants fairytale of epic fastness.

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
I consider myself as a a guy who minds his own business and happy to hold my own corner with anyone however Stravs Wa*@K@£ clearly lives up to his name . .. Really no need for him to comment - I personally like to mind my own business and release folk are entitled to their thoughts - if he had taken a deep breath and not felt the need to post what he did we wouldn't be discussing this - wot a cheesy tool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neilvx

Jul 4, 2018
Hampshire
pretty much every top 10 in strava is full of crap or gps glitches. I just ride my bike and if you lose your place try harder next time cry baby lol.

I am no pro and disabled so I love seeing my name in the leader boards against my friends etc. I pay for Strava so I list rides how I see fit.

Its all pub talk anyway, just enjoy the ride Strava Queens hahaha

not attacking anyone is this thread by the way :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
pretty much every top 10 in strava is full of crap or gps glitches.
As someone who once held a fair few pages of KOMs I can confirm this not to be the case everywhere.
the most common glitches in Strava GPS data come from devices with poor gps refresh rate held in pockets or packs and the problem becomes way worse under tree cover. on very steep terrain and in poor (wet) conditions.
it's just a toy but most of the top 10s where I ride (mtb sand road) are held by very fast riders.

Neilvx

Jul 4, 2018
Hampshire
As someone who once held a fair few pages of KOMs I can confirm this not to be the case everywhere.
the most common glitches in Strava GPS data come from devices with poor gps refresh rate held in pockets or packs and the problem becomes way worse under tree cover. on very steep terrain and in poor (wet) conditions.
it's just a toy but most of the top 10s where I ride (mtb sand road) are held by very fast riders.

Pretty much probably wasn't the best choice of words Gary and I agree with you. You can always tell a good rider by looking at the stats :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You can always tell a good rider by looking at the stats :)
funny thing is. you can't tell all that much by Strava stats alone at all.
Many strava users KOM/PR hunt. ie. seek out specific trails, practice them to death and turn up intentionally when said trail is in it's best condition to attempt to place high on the leaderboard. (or in the case of road riders, pay attn to wind direstion/ride in a group) not saying they're not still good riders just that (even glitch free) Strava isn't always a very fair playing field.
A good rider is obvious when you see them ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles