2019 Turbo Levo S work Brose Mag S failure

Nov 25, 2019
BC
Guys who have had a lot of motor failures, how do you ride. Which mode normally?
Turbo all night long, trail all the times or Eco and switching sometimes to trail?

I ask this because I want to know if there is a difference between the modes.
Turbo all the time :) 75% of the time I am using it for trail building. Other times because I have the high capacity battery and never run out. Also, a fair bit of climbing. I had the previous Levo with the older motor for a year and had no issues riding the same way. Weighing in at 135 lbs I don't think I am working the motor too hard.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
The electric motor is not failing it's the other parts like sprag bearing and belt. I have seen the motor fail on a women who is almost 60 weighs about 110lbs and never pushes the bike anywhere near a limit.

Nov 25, 2019
BC
The electric motor is not failing it's the other parts like sprag bearing and belt. I have seen the motor fail on a women who is almost 60 weighs about 110lbs and never pushes the bike anywhere near a limit.
Correct. I guess we should be using a term like "drive system".

Timbolevo

Nov 16, 2019
USA

great video and honest motor discussion at about 30 minutes in. around 33:30 the failing part is pointed out.
sprag 80% vs belt 20% on 5 engines taken apart.
2020 turbo levo comp. 2 failed motors both at about 500 miles each. 30% turbo as hard as i can to avoid getting ran over by traffic and 70% ranging from turbo to off on trails going fairly slow. I’m an old man. lbs has been great but fear being out of warranty. may cash out, I’ve had and have many varied motorcycles and this has been the most fun on 2 wheels. but
This has also been the most problem prone 2 wheeled device i’ve ever had. Well there was that 75 rd 350 that was really bad. on the fence here

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
The way Chris and Spesh are talking I would say that if your Warranty does expire they will probably still honour the motor. Or at least honour the motor at 2 years from re-installation. As Chris said they want to keep you in the family and riding. That's not gospel, but my interpretation is they will not leave you in the cold after it expires if you have had previous problems.

No other brand or motor is hassle free sadly, at the moment. The SL Motor seems bombproof though.

The Brose Mag S and the Spesh 700wh battery is, IMHO, the best Motor Battery combo ATM so anything else you get may leave you wanting a bit and I'm betting you still have just over a year on your warranty.

Lockey8

Sep 15, 2018
South Bucks
The way Chris and Spesh are talking I would say that if your Warranty does expire they will probably still honour the motor. Or at least honour the motor at 2 years from re-installation. As Chris said they want to keep you in the family and riding. That's not gospel, but my interpretation is they will not leave you in the cold after it expires if you have had previous problems.

No other brand or motor is hassle free sadly, at the moment. The SL Motor seems bombproof though.

The Brose Mag S and the Spesh 700wh battery is, IMHO, the best Motor Battery combo ATM so anything else you get may leave you wanting a bit and I'm betting you still have just over a year on your warranty.

Hi Jon, did Chris mention if replacement Motors have an updated clutch or are they replacing like for like ? Must assume the new units have been modified.

Bike

Help! Second motor failure in less than 500 total miles

Same symptoms twice, belt starts to slip on the splines between motor and crank spindle and drive loss within a few seconds. Specialized replaced the first motor not problem bike in shop waiting to hear. I had an original 2016 Turbo Levo expert which had an undiagnosable symptom of intermittent power when battery was below 60-40% of charge. Specialized gave me a refund I discovered only afterwards that there was a known defect with the original motor, I hope I'm not headed down the same road.

By contrast the Pivot Shuttle has a the Shimano drive with nearly two thousand miles works great.

That said the Turbo Levo is a technical riding monster clear sections that are hit or miss on the shuttle, more power, bigger wheels yeah baby!

High Rock Ruti
I Ruty just a favor, how did you get the refund with specy after the third replacement? you involving the dealer or did you write directly?ty
Andrew

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I Ruty just a favor, how did you get the refund with specy after the third replacement? you involving the dealer or did you write directly?ty
Andrew

High Rock Ruti

Definitely dealer, I asked them to tell Specialized that they could replace the motor again ,(fourth motor) but next time I wanted a refund, Specialized said they would refund now. For my 2016 Turbo Levo I invoked the consumer protection law in Massachusetts "implied warranty of merchantability" supercedes manufacturers warranties. They gave me an 8K refund after 2 1/2 years. Of course I finally read in print that there was a known defect a year later. But I brought back the 8K plus 4K more to buy the new s works. Specialized is not forthcoming about known defects, but they sure make great riding bikes and have really outstanding customer service. I read on the forums that the drive belts have been upgraded, I think it was Rob's interview that was taken down shortly after the posting, hmm, that sounds just like, wait for it....Specialized. So to be clear if the dealer is unwilling you may have other legal remedies, I mean if you can stand to act like me
"a wanker"

Bike

High Rock Ruti

Definitely dealer, I asked them to tell Specialized that they could replace the motor again ,(fourth motor) but next time I wanted a refund, Specialized said they would refund now. For my 2016 Turbo Levo I invoked the consumer protection law in Massachusetts "implied warranty of merchantability" supercedes manufacturers warranties. They gave me an 8K refund after 2 1/2 years. Of course I finally read in print that there was a known defect a year later. But I brought back the 8K plus 4K more to buy the new s works. Specialized is not forthcoming about known defects, but they sure make great riding bikes and have really outstanding customer service. I read on the forums that the drive belts have been upgraded, I think it was Rob's interview that was taken down shortly after the posting, hmm, that sounds just like, wait for it....Specialized. So to be clear if the dealer is unwilling you may have other legal remedies, I mean if you can stand to act like me
"a wanker"
The problem in Italy is:the dealer say if you want a new motor no problem and he put at my disposition a courtesy bike leco comp 2020 the same of mine at my first warranty on the 5 months motor(1500 km)but if you looking for a refund he abandon your destiny sayng:eek:k write to Specy.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
The problem in Italy is:the dealer say if you want a new motor no problem and he put at my disposition a courtesy bike leco comp 2020 the same of mine at my first warranty on the 5 months motor(1500 km)but if you looking for a refund he abandon your destiny sayng:eek:k write to Specy.

High Rock Ruti

Yes I never threaten my dealer, any dealer who sells merchandise manufactured by other's. I'm am litigious by nature, not something, some feel comfortable about. 40 years as a landlord will do that to you. I fight speeding tickets too. I hope it comes through clearly that I don't hate people or companies. But if manufacturers offer warranties, I expect them to honor them. It is obvious that Brose has history of manufacturing defective e bike motors', it would be satisfying to hear it from Brose or Specialized, but I can understand why both companies would just replace or refund instead of setting off the alarm bell. Other's have offered the opinion that defective motors represent a small percentage of total sales and I find that to be reasonable thinking. It could well be that I ride in Turbo all the time kills motors. That being said, motor failures every 250 miles is unconscionable.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Bike

High Rock Ruti

Yes I never threaten my dealer, any dealer who sells merchandise manufactured by other's. I'm am litigious by nature, not something, some feel comfortable about. 40 years as a landlord will do that to you. I fight speeding tickets too. I hope it comes through clearly that I don't hate people or companies. But if manufacturers offer warranties, I expect them to honor them. It is obvious that Brose has history of manufacturing defective e bike motors', it would be satisfying to hear it from Brose or Specialized, but I can understand why both companies would just replace or refund instead of setting off the alarm bell. Other's have offered the opinion that defective motors represent a small percentage of total sales and I find that to be reasonable thinking. It could well be that I ride in Turbo all the time kills motors. That being said, motor failures every 250 miles is unconscionable.

Warm Regards

Ruti
Ty Ruti.
so i will have to be impatience with the dealer sending in mine interest request to specy.
not write directly. ty.
ciao

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles