Kenevo Gen1 Wu seat post

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
My wu seat post has broken. The part which comes out and goes back in to make the seat angle has come out completely. The shop says that this will not be covered by guarantee because it has not been serviced by the shop. However, I have serviced it myself according to the owners manual only doing the jobs that it says the owner can do. The manual says that to maintain warranty eligibility it one must follow the service schedule which I have done. I can understand not being covered if there is abuse, but a part has clearly broken inside. The shop also said that Wu posts are no longer available because there have been so many problems with them. However, if you buy a new Kenevo it comes with a wu post, so they must still be available. The shop says they will speak to the Specialized rep to see if anything can be done, but I will be pretty peed off if it is not covered, especially as I am one of the relatively few people who really like the wu post. Has anyone else had one of these replaced under warranty?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I spoke to the shop today and they say Specialized are going to replace my Wu seat post under warranty, which is good news, but they said it won't be a Wu post as Specialized are no longer making these because they have had too many problems with them. I'm a bit surprised that no one else has come across this development.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Had an issue with mine, the upper seal came out with the post, Specialized were happy to replace but only if i took it to where i bought it from so i just took it all apart and repaired it. i genuinely am quite fond of my Wu! The only thing id replace it with is a Magura Vyron Elect or an AXS Reverb as i hate the cluttered snakes wedding up front!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Well done for taking it apart. It would be great if you could explain how! I could loosen the collar but couldn’t see how to get any further. Anyway, the post is now with Specialized for a “service” for which the shop told me that I would have to pay about £85 as it was out of warranty because it was more than two years old. I pointed out that the shop had the original invoice showing the bike was less than two years old, which is why they had covered the new motor. Very odd. They also confirmed that Specialized have abandoned the wu post as they’ve had too many problems. I actually seem to be in a minority of people who like it so I do hope they manage to fix it. They’ve had it (in the Netherlands) for three weeks now so I’ve no idea what the hold up is

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Take it all apart from the bottom, remove the cable holder thingymabob with an Allen key and then remove the circlip, all comes out and apart! Just take all air out first please, don't want to be responsible for a lost eye.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
My wu seat post has broken. The part which comes out and goes back in to make the seat angle has come out completely. The shop says that this will not be covered by guarantee because it has not been serviced by the shop. However, I have serviced it myself according to the owners manual only doing the jobs that it says the owner can do. The manual says that to maintain warranty eligibility it one must follow the service schedule which I have done. I can understand not being covered if there is abuse, but a part has clearly broken inside. The shop also said that Wu posts are no longer available because there have been so many problems with them. However, if you buy a new Kenevo it comes with a wu post, so they must still be available. The shop says they will speak to the Specialized rep to see if anything can be done, but I will be pretty peed off if it is not covered, especially as I am one of the relatively few people who really like the wu post. Has anyone else had one of these replaced under warranty?

Like you, I too love the WU! It's simple and gets the job done, and I like the seat angle change! As it really helps me climb up long steep hills, and gives me extra confidence bombing downhill!
After a year and a half on my Kenevo, my WU started leaking air, and have to fill it up every ride..
Went to my dealer, they said they don't rebuild them here, but they will bring me a rebuilt replacement one from overseas.
It took a couple of weeks and it has now arrived, so we shall see how it goes..
Tim

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I’m waiting for mine to come back from the Netherlands. Not holding pressure seems to be a common complaint, maybe because of its complexity. Mine worked perfectly for almost two years until the tilt mechanism popped out. I wonder if the normal seat posts can be serviced by an LBS or whether they have to be sent back to Specialized if not working properly.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Like you, I too love the WU! It's simple and gets the job done, and I like the seat angle change! As it really helps me climb up long steep hills, and gives me extra confidence bombing downhill!
After a year and a half on my Kenevo, my WU started leaking air, and have to fill it up every ride..
Went to my dealer, they said they don't rebuild them here, but they will bring me a rebuilt replacement one from overseas.
It took a couple of weeks and it has now arrived, so we shall see how it goes..
Tim

Ok so the dealer told me I had the option of getting a rebuilt WU seatpost... Or what he recomended.. the specialized "replacement" post..
Had it installed, it's a sealed system.. no air pressure adjustment. It works buttery smooth like a real! Seatpost! Doesn't just "slam" up.. feels verry nice, and has infinite higth adjustment.
It has no name on it, it's apparently a cheap post built in China to replace all the problems they have had with the WU.
See the pics...
Tim

IMG_20200628_174135.jpg

IMG_20200628_174157.jpg

IMG_20200628_174146.jpg

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Interesting. My LBS Lent me a post, because My bike was off the road so long. They said specialized would send my WU post when it was repaired, but that was two weeks ago now, So I don’t know what they are doing.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Update. My post came from Specialized but they forgot to send back the part which clamps the saddle to the post. I had to wait another two weeks before that came back. Finally got it back on my bike and was working fine but after one run I realised that all the pressure was gone. Grrrr! Fortunately, because it has a locking mechanism about every centimetre I could manually push or lift it to where I needed and was able to finish the day’s riding. What is strange is that it did not lose pressure gradually but it was fine and then suddenly all the pressure was gone (I actually noticed it going up in a Telecabine). If I pump it up it works and seems to hold the pressure but since I’m not confident it will not let me down again, it’s going back to Specialized for the third time. If my local LBS had not lent me a spare post, I would have been without a bike for over two months now!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles