Seat post creaking

JimD

Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas
I had the gen 1 Command post that came with my Stumpjumper in 2012...it was horrendous, creaked and broke within 1 year of riding. Fast forward 6 years...i get what I assumed would be a improved Command post with my 2018 levo...nope...creaks ...doesnt hold the seat well, and busts my balls when i want to raise it

Will be taking it off and installing my 3 year old reverb which is still creak free and silky smooth action

Had the same issue with my Command. Chased if for a month thinking it was the plastic motor covers or cranks till Rob suggested to check the seat post. Mine creaks like crazy. I can fiddle with it and make it stop for a ride or two but it comes right back. I demoed a 2019 stump jumper not long ago which had a Fusion on it that seemed pretty impressive. Looks like they are priced right as well.

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
The creaking was very annoying. Took the Kenevo in for a 571 lb rear spring and a new chain mentioned to the tech that the seat creaking was annoying, he pulled the dropper post and applied white grease to the inside of the frame, the seat stem and the seat rear drop system. The creaking is gone!

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
The creaking was very annoying. Took the Kenevo in for a 571 lb rear spring and a new chain mentioned to the tech that the seat creaking was annoying, he pulled the dropper post and applied white grease to the inside of the frame, the seat stem and the seat rear drop system. The creaking is gone!

Is the dropper cable long enough to pull the dropper out of the frame completely without detaching it? Couldn't do that on my previous bike...

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
I have fixed the creaking , removed seat from post , removed the clamps from seat post , cleaned the seat and clamps and all parts were clamps connect. Added the Park Tool ASC-1 Anti-Seize Compound Tool also pulled up post from the frame (as much as it would go without removing leaver and cables under battery) added a little there.

Cheers All..

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
just a mention, I was told you cant fit a reverb as the frame drillings are too small for the reverb hose diameter, anybody know for sure if that is correct

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Brand X is definitely worth a look. My Lev recently passed away, few yrs old now. Ive had reverbs and a few Lev's and the Brand X is so much cheaper and works a treat, even kept the Lev switch on bars.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I have fixed the creaking , removed seat from post , removed the clamps from seat post , cleaned the seat and clamps and all parts were clamps connect. Added the Park Tool ASC-1 Anti-Seize Compound Tool also pulled up post from the frame (as much as it would go without removing leaver and cables under battery) added a little there.

Cheers All..

Hey @grayedout - just out of interest, did the creaking ever return?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
The creaking on mine hasn't returned since I tightened up the pivot bolt again. I'm not greasing it, it's a part that shouldn't be moving and is creaking because it is. Greasing will help it move.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The creaking on mine hasn't returned since I tightened up the pivot bolt again. I'm not greasing it, it's a part that shouldn't be moving and is creaking because it is. Greasing will help it move.

It’s moving because the friction between the parts prevents you from doing it up sufficiently tight. Using an anti-seize paste (or grease) enables the parts to move during assembly so you can get the bolts done up tightly without over-tightening and the risks that ensue (sheared bolts being the main one).

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles