Levo Gen 3 Seat too high.. cut seat post?

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I was always taught that the proper seat height is when your leg is just barely bent when seated and the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.

I've concluded the best "fix" for this issue is no fix at all; it goes plenty low in dropped position; it just goes up a bit too high, and since I can control that, I'm not going to mess with it until such a time as I feel I need to. My wallet is smoldering after buying the bike, so if I can avoid spending more money right now, all the better.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
I was always taught that the proper seat height is when your leg is just barely bent when seated and the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.

I've concluded the best "fix" for this issue is no fix at all; it goes plenty low in dropped position; it just goes up a bit too high, and since I can control that, I'm not going to mess with it until such a time as I feel I need to. My wallet is smoldering after buying the bike, so if I can avoid spending more money right now, all the better.
So, can't you just lower the post in the frame a bit? Or is it as low as it will go?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
The S3 has a 150mm dropper which is to long for you. The S2 has a 125mm drop. Ask the bike shop if they will swop it for a 125mm version. If it is new they may be happy to do that as they will be able to sell the 150.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Hey folks... I picked up my shiny new Turbo Levo Alloy yesterday in size S3. I'm 5'8 with a 29" inseam and like some other threads I've seen here, the seatpost is too tall, by about an inch, maybe inch and a half. This is for pedaling; I haven't even tried it in the low position for going downhill, as (1) I've never had a dropper post before, and (2) I've only ridden the bike about a half mile so far. I need to charge it up this morning and get ready for a real ride today once the temps come up.

Anyway... In the other threads, the solution seemed to be replacing the seatpost, which isn't cheap. I was wondering -- what if I disassemble it and just cut it? Wouldn't that be basically the same as getting a shorter seatpost?

View attachment 87114
Should have ridden it prior to buying it, you could have then asked for the post to be swapped out.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
my s5 Kenevo came with a 150 dropper which for me at nearing 6’3” and 35 inseam was clearly not right.

when I asked why they said Spesh cannot always get the right dropper for the bike so stuff on what’s available.

your S3 Levo Turbo ST is 405. that means 16 inches from top of seat tube to centre cranks. Basically that’s tiny ….Spesh designed shorter seat posts in light of droppers with so much length flexibility so you could get other geometry factors right such as reach.

As a rule of thumb I stick my heel on pedal, extend fully and that’s about right. Not my toes.

reckon you’ve maybe got the wrong dropper size for the bike ….not the wrong sized bike.

From experience buying or swapping a dropper is the easy bit, fittting the new one is a bugger. I ended up having to drop the motor to get cable routing right.

if the seat gets low enough for you when fully against the seat tube then that’s all you need to know. Position the dropper so the seat drops all the way to the seat tube collar of dropper butted up to top of seat tube ) then head downhill and see if it feels ok or if your arse and seat are making lots of contact. If the latter then bike is too big (which I doubt) if not work out what travel dropper is needed Using the heel to pedal method above.

don’t cut the actual seat tube !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Position the dropper so the seat drops all the way to the seat tube collar of dropper butted up to top of seat tube
Careful with that advice. Being tall you possibly won't realise that slamming the saddle all the way down on many Small/Med FS frames can cause the rear tyre to hit the saddle just before the rear suspension compresses fully. So always check that first by compressing the rear suspension fully and noting where the rear tyre sits bottomed out in relation to saddle position. to do so remove the coil or air from the shock and compress the suspension fully. This takes a fair bit of force on a coil shock as you also need to compress the rubber bottom out bumper fully. Do this waaaay before buying anything.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Did the same I ordered one too long . I just don't put it as high up. I'm never in that much of a hurry . First drop post I've had , how did I manage for the other thirty five years .

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Careful with that advice. Being tall you possibly won't realise that slamming the saddle all the way down on many Small/Med FS frames can cause the rear tyre to hit the saddle just before the rear suspension compresses fully. So always check that first by compressing the rear suspension fully and noting where the rear tyre sits bottomed out in relation to saddle position. to do so remove the coil or air from the shock and compress the suspension fully. This takes a fair bit of force on a coil shock as you also need to compress the rubber bottom out bumper fully. Do this waaaay before buying anything.

Good advice that most will never bother with as my manual lists minimum saddle heights which are easier to measure (YMMV depending on how far forward your saddle is on the rails which affects reach). I would surmise that this measurement is the lower limit of how far the seat post can be put into the seat tube. Unfortunately for me on a medium Kenevo SL, I find this height puts the saddle too high for the kind of riding I do when its in its lowest position. As for seat buzz, going commando is NOT a good idea but going mullet is (once again, YMMV).

saddle heights.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
that's just based on the suppplied seatpost though.
another brands dropper such as a One-up with shorter overall length will be able to be inserted deeper into the frame offering a lower min saddle height. possibly even increasing dropper travel while still not being overly high at full extension for a shorter rider

decoy_924

Dec 9, 2021
California
Hey folks... I picked up my shiny new Turbo Levo Alloy yesterday in size S3. I'm 5'8 with a 29" inseam and like some other threads I've seen here, the seatpost is too tall, by about an inch, maybe inch and a half. This is for pedaling; I haven't even tried it in the low position for going downhill, as (1) I've never had a dropper post before, and (2) I've only ridden the bike about a half mile so far. I need to charge it up this morning and get ready for a real ride today once the temps come up.

Anyway... In the other threads, the solution seemed to be replacing the seatpost, which isn't cheap. I was wondering -- what if I disassemble it and just cut it? Wouldn't that be basically the same as getting a shorter seatpost?

View attachment 87114
You just spent what $5500 on a bicycle and you’re worried about shelling out another $150 for the correct size seat post? This is honestly something the shop should’ve helped you figure before you purchased it. But maybe you came off as someone who knew what they were after and didn’t need help with sizing or fitting the bike. Check out Pinkbike or Craigslist for a lightly used dropper post. Come to think of it I still have the original X-Fusion Manic 125mm dropper from my Levo in my garage. If you’re interested. Used for 3 rides and replaced with a wireless dropper. I’d let it go for $75-80 shipped depending on your location.

ajbalfe

Sep 24, 2020
Wicklow, Ireland
Agree, with Levo924, spend a little more money and have the bike right, your back will thank you. You'll spend a long time in the saddle of an e-mtb with a lot of climbing. If the seat is off my a few mm, you'll feel it after a while. Sounds like you need 125mm. They are not expensive and a regular upgrade for many so plenty on 2nd hand sites.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Most enduro style bikes are now designed with steep ST and for seat to be dropped a long way not ridden like XC bikes..that is the whole point of droppers to get the seat out of the way to allow freedom of movement. Only those bikes with very short ST may cause interference however I’d guess most bikes are now designed for no interference but easy to check as you say.

Remember those days before droppers ? That feeling of over the bats was never far away (along with steen HA bikes).

On my S5 Kenevo turbo my seat easily clears rear wheel on full travel but as you say good to try first; it’s a 203 dropper.

my seat misses a 29 wheel in the rear of my 27.5 Kenevo turbo (yes it fits easily) so masses of room.

The Kenevo has a long insert depth too, the Kenevo SL doesn’t have such a large insert depth which limits dropper post sizes. This put one guy off buying one.

one very flexible bike that full fat Kenevo….

Last edited:

sanyata

Oct 31, 2020
USA
I have the same problem and have found that various seats have a slight difference in height between the seat rails and seat surface where your bum sits. It's not much but might help.
Levo924 - I'd buy your dropper post from you if RobG doesn't show interest. You can send a message to: sanyata AT msn.com.

DirtFarmer

Dec 12, 2021
Lethbridge
Just ask your bike shop to swap or trade for a shorter one, it’s only been a week.
I have the same issue with mine only it bugs me that the seat doesn’t get as low as I want it to when fully dropped.
I wish I had noticed this in the sales room, but, no questions asked, here’s your bike.
I was thinking the post from an S3 would be better for me on my S4.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Erm, dosn't the Levo has one of the shortest seat tube of all MTBs on the market?
My advice: Go to the shop and ask them to set up your seat hight for proper riding before you cut, buy or handcraft anything.

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA

Try using shorter cranks like 150's

DirtFarmer

Dec 12, 2021
Lethbridge
Hey there. Have you asked your bike shop?
I thought I had waited too long but when I went in to my LBS today they traded my 175mm post from my S4, for a 150mm they had from an S3. That was 5 months after I got my bike.
That’s some great customer service, thanks Alpineland.
The seat is 25mm lower when dropped all the way and is just where I like it when it’s at the top.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I went by the bike shop the other day, as I was passing through the area on the way north. They were able to adjust the seatpost better than I was, and got it down a bit lower. Now it's a perfect fit. No cutting, no welding, no duct tape or bailing wire required. Woo!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I went by the bike shop the other day, as I was passing through the area on the way north. They were able to adjust the seatpost better than I was, and got it down a bit lower. Now it's a perfect fit. No cutting, no welding, no duct tape or bailing wire required. Woo!
Mines too long I got it 18 months ago I just didn't let it go up all the way and got used to it . I've lost a lot of weight in the past month so it goes all the way up now , and folk have stopped calling me fat ass .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles